*** Better Call Saul - Season 6 ***

379,350 Views | 4308 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by aTmAg
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Crocs said:

Saw these two tweets that add to my love of the finale. Hope they do the same for you guys too.

This.
TCTTS
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

The bus scene bothered me at first until I realized why it was there. They were showing us that Saul would be a hero in that prison since he was the kind of lawyer to represent those types of criminals. Gives us a bit of closure knowing the rest of his life in prison won't be so bad after all.

That finale was damn near perfect. I was so confused when Gene was nabbed so early. I had no idea where they were going with the story, as usual. I audibly gasped when I first saw Marie. I guarantee she was in purple. And the other surprise appearances were great too. I'm bummed the series is over but once again Gilligan & Gould outdid all expectations (except maybe those simpletons that need more action).

This.
TCTTS
AG
MW03 said:

That was really pretty masterful, especially as a "universe" finale. I appreciated that they gave Marie closure as well. That was a good moment for the BB fans.

I loved the of flashbacks, punctuated by his moment with Chuck. "If you don't like where you're headed, there's no shame in going back and picking a new path." He had to prove to himself that he could beat the government and give Slipping Jimmy closure as well before he went back and took Chuck's advice. I don't know that he ever had regrets before the end of the series, and I think he was somewhat confused by people who did.

I think the line of the series was him on the phone with Kim, saying that they were both too smart to throw away their lives for nothing. It's almost like he thought he was in it with Kim, and that the two of them were kindred spirits. It took Kim risking everything just to do the right thing for him to come to grips with his own regret because it's wasn't him and her anymore. It was just him by himself. I think up until the moment the ADA told him in the negotiating room, he was planning to take the deal and go on being one of a pair in the world that understood how it really ticked.

But when Kim came clean, she showed him that coming clean was not a "nothing" and worth giving up your life. For the first time, he didn't like where he was headed, and he decided to go back and choose a new path.

Crazy that Breaking Bad debuted in 2008. There were so many times it felt like that series was going to be cancelled. Somewhere along the way, it found itself in the zeitgeist, and theaters were holding watching parties for episodes as they aired. Now here we are, 14 years later, and we're saying goodbye to that universe after two fundamental series. Both very different, both intertwined. It's truly remarkable, and I can't think of another story in entertainment like it.

And this.
TCTTS
AG
I'm going to miss this world and these characters so damn much.
TCTTS
AG
On a less emotional note, one thing I kept thinking during these final three or four episodes, but especially tonight, is how cool it would be to actually watch the entire franchise in chronological order, either as a virgin or veteran to the world, where you could take *all* the black and white scenes/episodes and watch them together as one long "movie" of sorts at the end. Keep all the other flashbacks where they are - anything with Gus and his history, keep the Breaking Bad flashbacks exactly where they are in the black and white story, etc - but basically go...

- BETTER CALL SAUL - S1-S6 (minus all black and white scenes/episodes)
- BREAKING BAD - S1-S5
- EL CAMINO
- BETTER CALL SALL EPILOGUE - All black and white scenes/episodes edited together (w/ Breaking Bad flashbacks intact)

Then the entire franchise is basically bookended by the Jimmy/Kim story, with an epic crime drama in the middle.

I just think it would be really cool to see something like this offered as an alternate option on Netflix or AMC+ or wherever the franchise ultimately ends up streaming.
Seven Costanza
AG
OldShadeOfBlue said:

Seven Costanza said:

I'm guessing that Anna Gunn didn't want to make a cameo because everyone hated her character so much. She complained about it quite a bit at the time.
it just doesn't make sense to involve her. She had no connection to Saul. She's estranged from her sister. If anyone would be there maybe it's Flynn supporting his aunt.

I didn't care to see her either way, but it would have been very easy to shoehorn in a flashback that fit the episode's narrative if they wanted. Saul and Skylar knew each other from the car wash business meeting.
fc2112
As far as The Time Machine motif, that was just all about regrets, which is a wonderful theme for the final episode of a series about basically good people who do horrible things. In the end, Jimmy had no regrets - that's what his falling on the sword was all about in court.

And I always thought the real genius of BB is we are all cheering for the criminal, murdering meth lord and hating on the dutiful housewife who was trying to do right. Skylar White was a fabulous character.

Anyone else notice Marie wasn't wearing purple? She's never worn purple since Hank was killed. And anyone notice the only color in the Gene timeline was the tip of the cigarette when they were smoking in prison? A cigarette is the only light in a Super Max.

And do Super Max prisons have yards where you can see outside people walking in and out and play basketball like they showed at the end?
Belton Ag
AG
fc2112 said:

And do Super Max prisons have yards where you can see outside people walking in and out and play basketball like they showed at the end?
There is no ADX Montrose as in BCS but there is an ADX Florence in Colorado, which I suspect is what the TV prison is modeled after.

ADX Florence is where the worst offenders not on death row are housed. El Chapo, the Unabomber, and some Al Qaeda guys are there.

I think there are different levels of security in the main prison where some inmates can congregate, but in the ADX portion I doubt you'll see El Chapo and the Unabomber playing basketball together in the yard. I don't even think those guys can get visitors alone like in the show.
aTmAg
AG
oragator said:

2 things.

First, in the end, against all odds it was a love story.

Second, BB had some of the worst female characters written. It was like they had no clue had to write a competent impactful female. To go from that to Kim is really remarkable.
No idea what you are talking about Skyler was masterfully written.
aTmAg
AG
oragator said:

Skylar could have been written out of the show, Walt as a single guy raising his son as the premise, and almost nothing would have changed (assuming you made Marie his sister). She was maybe the sixth most important person on there despite being the wife of the lead. They gave her almost nothing to do until they bought the car wash other than to nag Walter, and even then she was monotone. Then they brought in Lydia who was an executive and successful and made her an airhead. Critics say "misogyny" was behind it, but Kim is universally loved despite kicking Sail to the curb. The difference is in the depth Peter and Vince gave them comparatively. Kim had the law, a full history, was strong publicly and privately, had ambitions on who she wanted to be, a complex moral code…What did Skylar really have other than her family? We never sympathized with her because the writers never gave us a real reason to.
Good thing you weren't one of the writers.
aTmAg
AG
PatAg said:

We were supposed to not like Skylar, as we primarily viewed the show through Walt's eyes. She was very well written in that regard.
The first time I watched the show, I hated Skylar. On the rewatches, I understood completely where she was coming from. A lot of other shows would have kept her in the dark or willingly ignorant (like Sopranos). BB took the hard route and made her smart and headstrong. That was a much more difficult thing to do and they did a masterful job at it.
aTmAg
AG
Belton Ag said:

fc2112 said:

There is no ADX Montrose as in BCS but there is an ADX Florence in Colorado, which I suspect is what the TV prison is modeled after.

ADX Florence is where the worst offenders not on death row are housed. El Chapo, the Unabomber, and some Al Qaeda guys are there.

I think there are different levels of security in the main prison where some inmates can congregate, but in the ADX portion I doubt you'll see El Chapo and the Unabomber playing basketball together in the yard. I don't even think those guys can get visitors alone like in the show.
Sammy "the bull" Gravano did some time in Colorado ADX and he said it was by far the worst time he had ever done. He talked about grabbing a famale guard's hand once because he desperately wanting to touch another person. It sounded quite horrible.
Tobias Funke
AG
Quote:

Anyone else notice Marie wasn't wearing purple? She's never worn purple since Hank was killed. And anyone notice the only color in the Gene timeline was the tip of the cigarette when they were smoking in prison? A cigarette is the only light in a Super Max.

These two questions kind of contradict each other, no?
wbt5845
AG
I did a Google search for ADX Montrose as I wanted one of those sweatshirts - I figured it was modeled after ADX Florence.
wbt5845
AG
Aha - can you tell what shade of gray purple is in black and white.
jackie childs
so many tv shows botch the series finale. gilligan and gould seem to have mastered it.
Jim01
AG
Just an incredible 12 seasons of TV from Gilligan. Two great leads and two amazing co-leads. Pinkman and Kim Wexler are two all time greats. If she doesn't win the Emmy this year then through the award away. Waterworks was amazing.

I am in the camp that thinks Better Call Saul walked a fine line and sometimes went over it in terms of pacing. I definitely hit the "Jump 10 Seconds" button a few times in the 6 seasons and during Nippy. Sometimes scenes would drag over for me, but it never was too often or brought the show down overall.

Just a great great show. So many great characters. It was great to see some come back in this final episode in measured and poetic ways.

Loved the small things, like framing in the "EXIT" sign, buzzing with power, when he started to talk about his brother in the courtroom. Small things like that are why these shows are masterful. Light brush strokes without being heavy handed.
wbt5845
AG
Hardest I've laughed in a long time...

Oakley: "Judge, I'd like to withdraw as advisory counsel."

Judge: "Not on your life!"
Know Your Enemy
AG
Jim01 said:

I am in the camp that thinks Better Call Saul walked a fine line and sometimes went over it in terms of pacing. I definitely hit the "Jump 10 Seconds" button a few times in the 6 seasons and during Nippy. Sometimes scenes would drag over for me, but it never was too often or brought the show down overall.
I just don't understand this at all. How ADD are you?
PatAg
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

Jim01 said:

I think if you either don't care about a scene, or aren't invested in it, that's not an unreasonable thing to do.
If you jump forward and something doesnt make sense, you can always go back
Know Your Enemy
AG
PatAg said:

Know Your Enemy said:

Jim01 said:

I think if you either don't care about a scene, or aren't invested in it, that's not an unreasonable thing to do.
Then why are you watching the show if you don't care about it?
LouisHerbertWong
AG
TCTTS said:

On a less emotional note, one thing I kept thinking during these final three or four episodes, but especially tonight, is how cool it would be to actually watch the entire franchise in chronological order, either as a virgin or veteran to the world, where you could take *all* the black and white scenes/episodes and watch them together as one long "movie" of sorts at the end. Keep all the other flashbacks where they are - anything with Gus and his history, keep the Breaking Bad flashbacks exactly where they are in the black and white story, etc - but basically go...

- BREAKING BAD - S1-S5
- EL CAMINO
- BETTER CALL SALL EPILOGUE - All black and white scenes/episodes edited together (w/ Breaking Bad flashbacks intact)

Then the entire franchise is basically bookended by the Jimmy/Kim story, with an epic crime drama in the middle.

I just think it would be really cool to see something like this offered as an alternate option on Netflix or AMC+ or wherever the franchise ultimately ends up streaming.
Well, you're in the biz...

Ghost of Bisbee
AG
Belton Ag said:

fc2112 said:

Funny enough, the unabomber guy got moved to the Butner Low facility where Jimmy wanted to be
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
And for the 100th time, this universe is not over for good
PatAg
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

PatAg said:

Know Your Enemy said:

Jim01 said:

One, I don't do it but I understand why someone would.
You can really enjoy a show and not care for certain storylines at all, or care for a certain episode.
It's the same as just sort of zoning out because it's not interesting.
Know Your Enemy
AG
PatAg said:

Know Your Enemy said:

PatAg said:

Know Your Enemy said:

Jim01 said:

One, I don't do it but I understand why someone would.
You can really enjoy a show and not care for certain storylines at all, or care for a certain episode.
It's the same as just sort of zoning out because it's not interesting.
Ah, so it's for the people that need all the 'splosions? Got it.
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
We know who those are on this thread. Got a big spreadsheet already.

Showed their true colors with Nippy
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
Tobias Funke said:

Quote:

These two questions kind of contradict each other, no?

There was also color shown when his commercials reran, both on his tv and marion's PC in his glasses reflection
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
TCTTS said:

- BREAKING BAD - S1-S5
- EL CAMINO

Sounds interesting in theory but it's like watching the star wars movies in chronological order. They wrote these movies/episodes knowing where they fit in chronologically. Rearranging it chronologically removes the gravity of so many moments. Imagine seeing Hank and Gomez for the first time in BCS when they question Crazy 8. You'd have no connection to them. They're just two cops you won't see again for another 3 seasons. On that note imagine watching the poker game where Crazy 8 gets his name. It wouldn't really mean much. For two seasons of BCS you'd be watching Gus try to build a hole in the ground and it would have no significance. There's too many things in BCS that only work because of what you know from Breaking Bad.
OSOB
YNWA_AG
AG
But you also don't know that the story ends for Lalo, nacho, Kim, and Howard essentially in BCS.
TCTTS
AG
These are incredibly minor things that don't really matter at all.
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
Highly disagree. If you wanna argue that the timeline of the story doesn't evoke different emotions I don't know what else to say. I got my girlfriend to watch BCS with me having never watched Breaking Bad. I'm constantly having to explain to her the significance of certain moments. I wouldn't recommend it for anyone.
OSOB
TCTTS
AG
But those moments don't *have* to be significant. You're making them significant by choosing to stop and explain them. Otherwise, it's all just "story" that's paid off once you get to Breaking Bad.
torrid
AG
They actually did that with the first two Godfather movies. They re-edited everything into chronological order and tried to make a mini-series out of it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

Finally, though, after mostly avoiding spoilers for 24 hours (save for one prominent outlet using a black-and-white image of Marie in a courtroom, in a tweet linking to their review, so I unfortunately knew she was back and where we'd end up), we watched it tonight and...
So, the biggest spoiler of the whole finale pretty much. (That Saul would be caught.)

Sucks. Glad you still enjoyed it.

The big twist of Stranger Things got spoiled for me, so I'm still upset about that.
First Page Last Page
Page 115 of 124

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.