*** Better Call Saul - Season 6 ***

356,160 Views | 4308 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by aTmAg
Proposition Joe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Series as a whole was great.

Final season was a slog. Could/should have been 6-7 episodes. With 13 they took certain actions and dragged them out over 15 minutes constantly.

Hamlin death was predictable (was either going to be homicide or suicide), but they handled it well.

Didn't like how they turned Mike into a GI Joe / Macgyver combo. Suddenly old man is sharpshooting from the mountains. Guy was an ex-cop with a drinking problem, not a Navy Seal.

Just a few too many convenient occurrences to stretch the plot out. Fring has the payroll for a fake couple to live in a fake house (and the tunnel to build it out!), but he can't send more than 3 guys to Mexico to take care of Lalo -- the biggest threat to his entire empire?

All Nacho cares about is keeping his father safe. He brokers a deal with Fring to keep his father safe. But then more or less kills any chance of that deal being honored by going off script and admitting that he put old Salamanca in the wheelchair. Yeah Nacho, you allow Lalo to get killed and admit to all-but-killing senior Salamanca and the "blood for blood" family is not going to be stopped from killing your pops by Mike.

Just a lot of mini-plots that went on way too long.

I like what they did with the characters (Saul and Kim). Both had to come to accept that they were addicts for the con. Enjoyed the first couple of callbacks to our old Breaking Bad friends, but the third or fourth time it became a bit tiresome.

Overall I thought it was a great series, and I think while they stuck the landing, the lead up to the landing faltered quite a bit. I was engrossed with the plotlines in S1-4, despite them being on a much "smaller scale", but they opened it up a bit to the shift of the creation of Saul into the Saul we met at the beginning of BB to the way Saul ended up... I just thought those plotlines faltered.
Another Doug
AG
I think Mike looked too old for his character, but they did indirectly say he was a sniper in Vietnam.
Proposition Joe
Another Doug said:

I think Mike looked too old for his character, but they did indirectly say he was a sniper in Vietnam.

Ahh, I stand corrected on that. Yeah I think they struggled with filming after the fact but needing to show years prior to BB. He looked far more mobile during BB, though still an "old man". Hell, he looked old in Beverly Hills Cop.

Too many scenes of him struggling to move around -- notably going down the ladder into the soon-to-be meth lab. I can buy Mike as a Jack-of-all-trades, but I can't buy him as a super-hero. I think the plotline would have been a hell of a lot more believable had they sent a team of 3 to monitor Saul's pickup and maybe 2 of them got taken out in the shoot out. They made Mike out to be this "one step ahead of everyone" type character... until it wasn't convenient for the plot then he was running around.

Again, I know I'm overly critical like always. I really liked the show, but while I breezed through the first 4 seasons, the last 1.5 grew tiresome. Gilligan loves to shoot quiet, "artsy" scenes and they work in small doses but it felt like S6 was just chock full of 5 minute actions that they made 20.
aTmAg
AG
Your supposed to suspend disbelief in that Mike was younger in BCS than BB. It would be a big ass distraction if they deep faked a young mike face on the body of a stuntman for the entire series.
First Page Refresh
Page 124 of 124

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.