*** Better Call Saul - Season 6 ***

379,360 Views | 4308 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by aTmAg
oragator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
2 things.

First, in the end, against all odds it was a love story.

Second, BB had some of the worst female characters written. It was like they had no clue had to write a competent impactful female. To go from that to Kim is really remarkable.
Rudyjax
AG
Ken Scarborough said:

aggiejohn said:

Ken Scarborough said:

1.06215E+11 Miles.

I have no idea what that number is.

I think it is 12.06215E Miles.
I did the math wrong. I did 25 years, not 15.
It's actually,
63,729,000,000 miles.

Give or take a few million.

Rudyjax
AG
oragator said:

2 things.

Second, BB had some of the worst female characters written. It was like they had no clue had to write a competent impactful female. To go from that to Kim is really remarkable.
You mean it's not quality writing to have a shrew for a wife?
bluefire579
AG
Quad Dog said:

My only problem was that Saul kept asking everyone about going into the past in their time machine, but in the Time Machine by Wells the protagonist doesn't go into the past, only the future.

Maybe he was reading the book because he saw the 2002 film, where the protagonist does in fact go back in time
Jack Cheese
AG
oragator said:

2 things.

I couldn't disagree more. I think Skylar and Marie are very compelling, real female characters. Very flawed, just like real human beings.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Wendy was the best female character in BB.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

I assume that was the day Mike's son was murdered.
I did too, but I googled it and he died in August 2001. So I am also curious about this.

https://breakingbad.fandom.com/wiki/Matt_Ehrmantraut
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Know Your Enemy
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Know Your Enemy said:

I did too, but I googled it and he died in August 2001. So I am also curious about this.

Am I blind? I don't see his date of death on that link.
GreasenUSA
AG

Also on the nightstand in the 2nd episode of this season.
oragator
Skylar could have been written out of the show, Walt as a single guy raising his son as the premise, and almost nothing would have changed (assuming you made Marie his sister). She was maybe the sixth most important person on there despite being the wife of the lead. They gave her almost nothing to do until they bought the car wash other than to nag Walter, and even then she was monotone. Then they brought in Lydia who was an executive and successful and made her an airhead. Critics say "misogyny" was behind it, but Kim is universally loved despite kicking Sail to the curb. The difference is in the depth Peter and Vince gave them comparatively. Kim had the law, a full history, was strong publicly and privately, had ambitions on who she wanted to be, a complex moral code…What did Skylar really have other than her family? We never sympathized with her because the writers never gave us a real reason to.

But don't want to bog down this thread with that fight, other than to say Kim was really well written and it was nice to see.
johnnyblaze36
AG
Ken Scarborough said:

Ken Scarborough said:

aggiejohn said:

Ken Scarborough said:

1.06215E+11 Miles.

I think it is 12.06215E Miles.
I did the math wrong. I did 25 years, not 15.
It's actually,
63,729,000,000 miles.

Give or take a few million.

Complete Idiot
oragator said:

Skylar could have been written out of the show, Walt as a single guy raising his son as the premise, and almost nothing would have changed (assuming you made Marie his sister). She was maybe the sixth most important person on there despite being the wife of the lead. They gave her almost nothing to do until they bought the car wash other than to nag Walter, and even then she was monotone. Then they brought in Lydia who was an executive and successful and made her an airhead. Critics say "misogyny" was behind it, but Kim is universally loved despite kicking Sail to the curb. The difference is in the depth Peter and Vince gave them comparatively. Kim had the law, a full history, was strong publicly and privately, had ambitions on who she wanted to be, a complex moral code…What did Skylar really have other than her family? We never sympathized with her because the writers never gave us a real reason to.

But don't want to bog down this thread with that fight, other than to say Kim was really well written and it was nice to see.

I disagree. Kim never cheated on Saul. Kim never stood up to Saul or made demands of him opposed to what he wanted to do. It shows them in a new childless relationship only having fun together.

Kim is highly capable, Skylar showed capability expertly cooking Beneke's books, running car wash, laundering money - with a newborn Walt wasn't focusing too much on.

Skylar was pushy and demanding and defied and cheated - I think a lot of people reacted to that. Saul was no Walt, Kim didn't have to react to the same thing.

I can understand some of the dislike of the character, didn't really understand the hatred. It was an important character in the story of Walt.
PatAg
AG
We were supposed to not like Skylar, as we primarily viewed the show through Walt's eyes. She was very well written in that regard.
Fairview
AG
And that's why I don't get why when I read people saying she was upset with being disliked. She should've leaned into it playing up how well it was written and she acted it instead of being annoyed by it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Know Your Enemy said:

Am I blind? I don't see his date of death on that link.

You have to expand the section labeled Fate in the sidebar.
Bunk Moreland
oragator said:

Yeah I don't agree with this take at all. Anna Gunn was incredibly good at her craft to make me hate her insufferably. And her presence was very important to the show.
Post removed:
by user
Four Seasons Landscaping
The role Anna Gunn took was different than the role they had her play from season two on….
oragator
Back on topic, how is it we haven't seen TCTTS in this thread since the finale?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
"TC, say what you thought."
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
bluefire579 said:

Quad Dog said:

This looks like half of the posters in this thread the night Nippy aired
jdgilberg
AG
He said in another thread he was supposed to watch it with family who was traveling but it got too late by the time they made it so he had to wait until tonight
jdgilberg
AG
Found it:

https://texags.com/forums/13/topics/3192963/replies/62700979
oragator
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Have you seen Dark on Netflix?

If not, you need to make that your next binge.
That show was great for a while but took itself way too seriously and went nowhere.
OSOB
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I've seen a lot of weird takes on this site, but saying that show went nowhere might be the worst. And I've been on this site a long time.
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

Oh the 2001 date? That makes sense.
OSOB
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
Seven Costanza said:

I'm guessing that Anna Gunn didn't want to make a cameo because everyone hated her character so much. She complained about it quite a bit at the time.
it just doesn't make sense to involve her. She had no connection to Saul. She's estranged from her sister. If anyone would be there maybe it's Flynn supporting his aunt.
OSOB
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
Tobias Funke said:

Ken Scarborough said:

Tobias Funke said:

Ken Scarborough said:

The other reason why time travel is impossible is that it's just not time. It's location.

We're billons of miles from where the earth was in 1984.

Like anyone could know that
The universe moves 485,0000 MPH.

So 1984 to 2009, the earth has moved

1.06215E+11 Miles.

Yeah right, like anyone could know any of that
Next thing he's gonna tell us there's a hole in the o-zone layer
OSOB
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
YNWA_AG
AG
Surprised that forum still exists after the meltdown
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
I'm having BCS withdrawals. Have never been so bummed about a show ending than with this

It's like living through a high school breakup with a 10 all over again
TCTTS
AG
oragator said:

Back on topic, how is it we haven't seen TCTTS in this thread since the finale?

Was traveling to Texas on Monday, and had already made my parents, who were a couple episodes behind, catch up so we could watch the finale together Monday night. But after getting into town yesterday evening, family dinner, hanging with my nieces and nephews, etc, the night got away from us and it was too late to start. Finally, though, after mostly avoiding spoilers for 24 hours (save for one prominent outlet using a black-and-white image of Marie in a courtroom, in a tweet linking to their review, so I unfortunately knew she was back and where we'd end up), we watched it tonight and...

It could not have been more perfect.

Just the absolute, best-possible way they could have threaded that needle.

The shot of Jimmy & Kim smoking against the prison wall, cigarettes in-hand, the angled light, the light of the cigarette being the only thing color... I really don't know if television can get more euphoric than that moment. It was equal parts heartbreaking, hopeful, bittersweet, etc, and the way it called back to the pilot episode... I've simply never seen felt so much history, emotion, meaning, and melancholy packed into a single shot.

I'm almost speechless.

I've read through every single post since 8 PM last night - all 239 of them, more than I've ever had to catch up on in any thread - and there's really nothing else I can add. I can only quote three posts that stuck out to me/I wholeheartedly agree with...
First Page Last Page
Page 114 of 124

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.