*** Better Call Saul - Season 6 ***

379,415 Views | 4308 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by aTmAg
JD Shellnut
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Loved the finale, and I think Kim is great and all but no way am I going from 7 years (less with good behavior) to basically a life sentence.
oragator
Kim's POV.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/awards/story/2022-08-15/better-call-saul-season-6-finale-rhea-seehorn-kim-wexler
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Also, I loved that Saul was STILL wearing the pin for the Wayfarer crash. Hilarious.
Complete Idiot
The show creators have always delighted in awful cars, think
Bill Oakley had an AMC wagon of some kind
Duckhook
AG
So I've had to think about this for a bit.

I'll start by saying I've generally enjoyed this show, which is the reason I've watched it all the way to tonight. I've never thought it was one of the greatest shows ever on television. I know there are others who do, and that's fine. We all have different tastes.

I didn't expect a finale that rose to that of BB. They checked a lot of boxes here, and there were some great scenes. Seeing Marie again and her context in the whole plea deal negotiating scenes were great. The Wayfarer Airlines callback was a nice little Easter Egg. The last part in prison I thought was very well done. As usual, some great camera work and directing.

Things I liked less. The gratuitous Walter White scene. One more Chuck appearance that showed us, what, that Jimmy had a soft spot for Chuck all along? The bus scene. I'll buy what some are positing that this showed he will be safe in prison.

All through the episode was the theme of going back in time, regrets, etc. Saul never weighed in except for, as Mike noted, he would have gone back to do something to make him rich. So I guess I'm supposed to gather that, for Kim's sake, he decides to be honest for the first time in his adult life? I suppose I can see that tying in to the larger theme.

Overall I would give this series a solid A-. Not a series I will watch start-to-finish again though.

Maybe if there were more 'splosions I would have had a different opinion.
PatAg
AG
Duckhook said:

So I've had to think about this for a bit.

I'll start by saying I've generally enjoyed this show, which is the reason I've watched it all the way to tonight. I've never thought it was one of the greatest shows ever on television. I know there are others who do, and that's fine. We all have different tastes.

I didn't expect a finale that rose to that of BB. They checked a lot of boxes here, and there were some great scenes. Seeing Marie again and her context in the whole plea deal negotiating scenes were great. The Wayfarer Airlines callback was a nice little Easter Egg. The last part in prison I thought was very well done. As usual, some great camera work and directing.

Things I liked less. The gratuitous Walter White scene. One more Chuck appearance that showed us, what, that Jimmy had a soft spot for Chuck all along? The bus scene. I'll buy what some are positing that this showed he will be safe in prison.

All through the episode was the theme of going back in time, regrets, etc. Saul never weighed in except for, as Mike noted, he would have gone back to do something to make him rich. So I guess I'm supposed to gather that, for Kim's sake, he decides to be honest for the first time in his adult life? I suppose I can see that tying in to the larger theme.

Overall I would give this series a solid A-. Not a series I will watch start-to-finish again though.

Cool
I dont see this as a show i would do a full rewatch again either, like I would for Mad Men, The Wire, Sopranos, The Shield.
Not every show or movie lends itself to it though, so for me that doesnt lower the grade Id give it.
A+ all the way
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
Duckhook said:

It took you writing all those paragraphs to realize that?

I'm kidding, if it isn't clear

This is the best television show in my view

And that's only from smelling 2 gilligan farts
Duckhook
YellowPot_97
AG
Great finale.
oragator
Now that it's over, thinking back on what this show accomplished, it'll pretty remarkable.

Just to be a successful spinoff of a show as beloved as BB is an achievement in itself.

But to do it in a totally different tone that's the original, almost the opposite in many ways in fact.

To create as much tension and drama as there was despite knowing where the story ended for many of the characters.

To take a one dimensional guy like Saul and bring him to life, and do it in such a well told way with Kim. In fact in the end Kim was the moral center of the show.

To effortlessly bring BB characters in and out while still largely telling Saul's story in the process.

And then to land it the way they did.

Will be hard to ever duplicate that.

Cromagnum
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Also, I loved that Saul was STILL wearing the pin for the Wayfarer crash. Hilarious.

Missed that callback.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Cromagnum said:

I loved the little subtle touches they snuck in. Cigarette glowing orange in the black and white jail. When Jimmy mentions Chuck in the courtroom, you hear the electrical buzz from the exit sign.
I loved it too, but it wasn't exactly subtle.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
So, what would you do with a time machine?
Mr.Bond
AG
So many emotions....... I just wanted Saul playing golf in wing D at north Carolina knowing he'd be out by 2017........
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

91_Aggie
AG
So did Carol Burnett get the $5 million reward?
Mr.Bond
AG
91_Aggie said:

Eff that beeotch! Lol
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

Ghost of Bisbee
AG
So many convinced this universe is over.

It's not.

How many times have you heard about showrunners hanging stuff up and then magically reappears years later?

That's what will happen here. The showrunners have many years of work left. They will revisit.

Be happy there is a future
91_Aggie
AG
Mr.Bond said:

91_Aggie said:

Eff that beeotch! Lol

We need questions like this answered?!?!?! This is worse than Lost! Season finale with them promising answers and not delivering!!!!!
91_Aggie
AG
Ghost of Bizbee said:

It's not.

How many times have you heard about showrunners hanging stuff up and then magically reappears years later?

That's what will happen here. The showrunners have many years of work left. They will revisit.

These actors gonna be so old. Rhea is in her 50s already.
Know Your Enemy
AG
The bus scene bothered me at first until I realized why it was there. They were showing us that Saul would be a hero in that prison since he was the kind of lawyer to represent those types of criminals. Gives us a bit of closure knowing the rest of his life in prison won't be so bad after all.

That finale was damn near perfect. I was so confused when Gene was nabbed so early. I had no idea where they were going with the story, as usual. I audibly gasped when I first saw Marie. I guarantee she was in purple. And the other surprise appearances were great too. I'm bummed the series is over but once again Gilligan & Gould outdid all expectations (except maybe those simpletons that need more action).
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
91_Aggie said:

Ghost of Bizbee said:

It's not.

These actors gonna be so old. Rhea is in her 50s already.

And she looks like she's in her mid-late 30s. Cougar Kim
Crocs
AG
Love that in Something Unforgivable, Kim does the finger guns to let Jimmy know that she's serious about her plan to defame Howard.

In the final scene, Jimmy does the finger guns to let Kim know he's serious about his move to keep her out of jail.

The ending fit the show perfectly.
Gigem314
AG
I'm sad to see this show come to an end, but what a finale. The real Jimmy shows up and does the right thing in the end. His reputation as Saul makes him a god on the inside, instead of the outcast loser that he started out as when the series began. Perfect arc for Jimmy.

Seeing Jimmy and Kim "having a smoke" against the wall just like in the parking garage in the first episode was awesome. The fact that she made the effort to con her way in there shows how much Kim still cares for Jimmy.

And I LOVED the reference to my favorite flavor from my favorite brand of ice cream…

walton91
Brian Earl Spilner said:

So, what would you do with a time machine?

You mean a time masheen? Looks like I picked the wrong time to rewatch Idiocracy

Big Al 1992
AG
Couple small things that we noticed -
The suits on the rack at the beginning ending with Genes Cinnabon work shirt and visor, then at the end the same rack of suits concluding with a prison jumpsuit.

Seemed like a throwaway line, but Saul telling the lawyers "Jesse Pinkman is still out there" could certainly leave the door open even though Gilligan and Gould said no.

86 years - 86 is restaurant jargon for "we're out" - as in 86 Jimmy, Saul, Kim, the whole BCS world.

Chuck picked up The Time Machine book and book was also seen in the very first scene of this half of the season as they were clearing out the mansion.
Topher17
AG
Duckhook said:

I thought the Walt scene was phenomenal. Cranston fell perfectly back into the character. He was vintage Walter White. He was a self interested ******* through and through, which served as a contrast to Saul in that moment, who still had some piece of Jimmy left in him.

As for the scene with Chuck, to me it showed a moment where if Jimmy had a time machine he could go back and make things different. He could have accepted Chuck's offer to talk through clients or have someone else take over as caregiver to give Jimmy more time. Conceivably that could lead to a reconciliation between them and a different path altogether for Jimmy.
Big Al 1992
AG
I think this ending also tried to convey that out of Chuck, Oakley, Kim, Howard, the Feds, etc - Jimmy McGill was the best lawyer out of all of them. Almost superhero like. And Jimmy -and Kim - knew it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Crocs
AG
Who gets out first- Jimmy or Jeffie?
TexAgs91
AG
Ok, I give up... what was Gene's urgent crime spree with the cab guy and his brother to collect identities all about?

Gene didn't need the money, he was looking for a certain identity to use (for what purpose?), and it was urgent enough that the cancer guy in particular was worth the extra risk.

I know it was somehow prompted by Kim's phone call, but I don't get how. She tells him to turn himself in, so he translates that into "Hey, it's time to come out of retirement and go scamming for IDs with a vengeance!"?

And not only does he decide to up the risk factor by breaking into the cancer guy's house himself, but after he's done, he decides "I'm gonna chill and take my time".

I don't get it.

The ending episode is what it is, but none of it would be necessary if Gene didn't suddenly break character and decide to go crazy. Why????
normalhorn
I need that poster. Now.
...take it easy on me, I'm a normal horn
CoachRTM
AG
I've said it before, and I'm far from the first person to say it……

The BB / BCS writers are in a league of their own. It's not even close.

I was emotional throughout the whole episode. Not sad, not close to crying, I just felt …. emotion….. it's hard to explain.
MW03
AG
That was really pretty masterful, especially as a "universe" finale. I appreciated that they gave Marie closure as well. That was a good moment for the BB fans.

I loved the of flashbacks, punctuated by his moment with Chuck. "If you don't like where you're headed, there's no shame in going back and picking a new path." He had to prove to himself that he could beat the government and give Slipping Jimmy closure as well before he went back and took Chuck's advice. I don't know that he ever had regrets before the end of the series, and I think he was somewhat confused by people who did.

I think the line of the series was him on the phone with Kim, saying that they were both too smart to throw away their lives for nothing. It's almost like he thought he was in it with Kim, and that the two of them were kindred spirits. It took Kim risking everything just to do the right thing for him to come to grips with his own regret because it's wasn't him and her anymore. It was just him by himself. I think up until the moment the ADA told him in the negotiating room, he was planning to take the deal and go on being one of a pair in the world that understood how it really ticked.

But when Kim came clean, she showed him that coming clean was not a "nothing" and worth giving up your life. For the first time, he didn't like where he was headed, and he decided to go back and choose a new path.

Crazy that Breaking Bad debuted in 2008. There were so many times it felt like that series was going to be cancelled. Somewhere along the way, it found itself in the zeitgeist, and theaters were holding watching parties for episodes as they aired. Now here we are, 14 years later, and we're saying goodbye to that universe after two fundamental series. Both very different, both intertwined. It's truly remarkable, and I can't think of another story in entertainment like it.

MW03
AG
TexAgs91 said:

Ok, I give up... what was Gene's urgent crime spree with the cab guy and his brother to collect identities all about?

Gene didn't need the money, he was looking for a certain identity to use (for what purpose?), and it was urgent enough that the cancer guy in particular was worth the extra risk.

I know it was somehow prompted by Kim's phone call, but I don't get how. She tells him to turn himself in, so he translates that into "Hey, it's time to come out of retirement and go scamming for IDs with a vengeance!"?

And not only does he decide to up the risk factor by breaking into the cancer guy's house himself, but after he's done, he decides "I'm gonna chill and take my time".

I don't get it.

The ending episode is what it is, but none of it would be necessary if Gene didn't suddenly break character and decide to go crazy. Why????

I think the call with Kim pushed him off the ledge, and what happened next was Saul going on a bender. I also think it was the writers drawing a corollary between Walter White's making money he didn't need and Saul pulling scams he didn't have to pull to show a connection between the motivations of both men. Saul loved pulling scams. It's what he was good it. It was his empire business. It was a version of Walter White going back to cooking after escaping Gus. He was out, he didn't need the money, but he couldn't quit it.

Saul was much the same way. He was holding it at bay as Gene, but he didn't want to. He could have run when he was ID'd in the mall. He didn't want to. It wasn't even so much about the money as it was doing what he was good at because he wanted to do it.
walton91
TexAgs91 said:

I don't get it.

I don't think there was any special meaning to the id's other than it was just the next con. He only broke character as Gene, but he wasn't Gene. He had been trapped in the Gene persona and he basically got to the point of saying Slippin Jimmy gonna Slippin Jimmy. He saw an opportunity to start running the game again and took it. Cancer guy, no cancer guy, you gotta be committed to the game. If the mark is there you gotta hit
First Page Last Page
Page 111 of 124

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.