*** Better Call Saul - Season 6 ***

379,421 Views | 4308 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by aTmAg
Ghost of Bisbee
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

Seemed like a throwaway line, but Saul telling the lawyers "Jesse Pinkman is still out there" could certainly leave the door open even though Gilligan and Gould said no.

This narrative needs to change. They never said no, they said not at this time, more or less. They have left the door open for a future. I don't know why everyone is so fixated on this being "the end".

If it were the end, they would have said as much. They've been vague about it.
AggieJ2002
AG
Cromagnum said:

Is the broadcast stuttering like crazy for anyone else on directv?

This really ruined the first half of the finale for me. Stupid Directv .. ugh

Loved the series and will definitely miss it. Overall liked BB better, but overall it was masterfully done on both. Very sad that it has ended.
Bosco
AG
Farewell to this incredible universe. Glad I could share it with you all.

I don't watch much TV in general so when I do, I try to pick shows that are thought provoking and filled with tension. I find maybe one of these shows every other year. This one fit the bill and then some….why can't they all be this way?? That said I prob won't be on this forum much and I'll return to hanging out at the football and political boards.

Wanted to thank you guys for all the insight and answering questions about things I missed along the way. A lot of you guys are razor sharp and seem to catch everything!

On to the show:

Since they catch Gene so early on and he was so cocky, it took the overall tension out and instead relied on some nostalgia and introspection to make it's point. It hit just as hard this way. I think the Chuck scene was basically so he could say the line about going back and choosing a different path (as the previous poster mentioned) ..and Jimmy did just that by telling the truth.

I think the writers were trying to show that Kim would have been disgusted with him (and maybe never come to visit) if he ended up taking the 7 years and he'd lose her forever.

He comes clean and redeems himself with her (ironically, she does sneak in to see him using a bar card that is no longer active) and you can tell that she respects him a little more now.

The Walt scene was to set up that he's "always been like that" and contrast it with him telling the truth later on and that he "chose another path".

I still don't see how that helps Kim legally, but maybe it's just the coming clean part that really mattered to her.

Fantastic writing and storytelling! I couldn't guess a single thing that was gonna happen other than the most obvious stuff.
"...suspect is hatless, repeat hatless."
aTmAg
AG
Ghost of Bizbee said:

Phenomenal episode.

For me, BCS eclipses Breaking Bad as the greatest TV show of all time

Will miss this for sure
LOL.. not even close. I was rooting for WW and Jesse to win at the end of BB. While this time with BCS, I was just watching to see what would happen at the end. He got away? Good for him. He got 7 years. Okay. He got 86 years? I guess that is justified. It is what it is. No rooting, no deep investment.

I can't see myself watching BCS again anytime soon if at all. I have no urge to. That is not the case for BB. I turned around and re-watched that shortly after finishing the first time.

My all time series ranking is:

1) BB
2) The Wire
3) The Americans

I've seen all the above multiple times.

4) BCS
5) Sopranos

Regarding the BCS finale, I thought they had too many flashbacks. It was probably the best of the Gene episodes. But not as good as the final Lalo or Nacho episodes. None of which would be in the top 5 BB episodes.
Jack Cheese
AG
I agree. BCS was a very, very good show but not on par with those others.
aTmAg
AG
Jack Cheese said:

I agree. BCS was a very, very good show but not on par with those others.
Agreed. I may come off as bashing the show. It is very good. It was the only show I watched live since The Americans ended. It's just not at the same level as BB. I doubt a show will eclipse BB in my lifetime. Now that BCS is out of the picture, nothing comes close.

To be honest, I usually don't watch any shows until there is enough buzz about it. I didn't start watching BB until the gap in the middle of season 5. I've gotten burned watching shows live just to have them cancelled on me. So I decided that I would wait until a show is over and if it's considered great then I would watch it. But the hype about BB was so high, I was afraid I would get spoiled on the ending (like I was spoiled for Sopranos). So I went for it. And I was glad I did.

So there may be a great bingeable show that is airing right now that I am unfamiliar with. But of the shows I'm aware of coming out, like House of Dragons, I'm merely "meh" on.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Have you seen Dark on Netflix?

If not, you need to make that your next binge.
TriumphForks
AG
A few brief thoughts:
-Loved the callback to Gene being found in the dumpster. That was a great scene in one of the earlier seasons where Jimmy has the phone conversation with Schwikhart (sp?) about Sandpiper from the dumpster

-The "You are the LAST lawyer I would have hired" line had me rolling.

-At the end was thinking it was going to be a conjugal visit of sorts. The cigarette was a nice callback but would have been proper if there was more and would be a "happier" ending.

All in all the finale hit the mark. Wraps up this universe quite nicely. What a ride.
Complete Idiot
Already posted I thought they did a great job landing the last episode, so just going to think of smaller items to note.

I already mentioned Bill Oakley's crap ass car, a staple of characters in BB and BCS.

I said "close the band aid box" out loud before he spilled all his diamonds. He got so sloppy at the end.

It was hard to read what expression was on Kim's face during court room scene and jail visit - it was.....blank. I couldn't tell what Seehorn was going for, maybe saying the character was a bit deadened emotionally or just didn't know what to feel, if anything, about Jimmy. Obviously the act of visiting the jail speaks volumes, but the expressions didn't reveal much.

Mike thought about time travel options to change decisions made that impacted people he loved, or check on how his decisions helped them. Walt and Saul focused on personal power or wealth.

Marie's appearance was surprising, since it happened I guess I am slightly surprised we didn't see Skylar somehow.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
My view is that Jimmy was going off the rails as Gene and taking greater risks, which has been in his nature. Just without this much on the line. His bumbling "on the run from the law" was perfect. All of maybe 8 minutes. Right before it happened I said "you're gonna spill your diamonds" and so they never came in play.

Liked the Walt scene, so utterly self centered and *****ish. Oakley trying to control the situation and Jimmy essentially telling him to STFU. It was no major reach, but I did call the working in the prison cafeteria. His call to Cinnabon just underlies that underneath there, Jimmy is a good guy. Due to his fame, we can see Jimmy as a non-certified jailhouse lawyer with an Andy Dufresne type set up as a spin off? Can Kim do her pro-bono work behind the scenes? Unfortunately there would not be enough Florida man and more of the pregnant women and olds that need support based off that scene.

Chuck was still a flogging in his short return.

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
Know Your Enemy
AG
Not sure why Skylar would have been there. Marie may not even be talking to her at this point as she was helping Walt which resulted in Hank's death.
double aught
AG
Nitpick: Seems unlikely that a dragnet that extensive could've been put together so quickly in Omaha based on a life alert call.
Complete Idiot
Know Your Enemy said:

Not sure why Skylar would have been there. Marie may not even be talking to her at this point as she was helping Walt which resulted in Hank's death.
Well, not necessarily in the same scene just see her "somehow". I don't think she was relevant to the Saul story though - Mike, Walt, and Chuck flashbacks were relevant to the Saul story - so I get that she didn't appear.

One other thought -

For the benefit of the Howard character memories, would have been nice to see Cliff Main's reaction to the Kim's confession and that Howard was a victim and not off the rails personally. Wouldn't have fit anywhere though.
Ag_07
AG
So the throwback scenes with Mike, Walt, and Chuck...Anyone know if those were cutting room floor scenes that they dug up and used or did they reshoot those recently?

Thought they were a great touch to go back and see how it all was intertwined and Jimmy/Saul (and the show itself I guess) was years in the making.
Complete Idiot
double aught said:

Nitpick: Seems unlikely that a dragnet that extensive could've been put together so quickly in Omaha based on a life alert call.
I looked it up - Life Alert necklace calls 9-1-1.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Ag_07 said:

So the throwback scenes with Mike, Walt, and Chuck...Anyone know if those were cutting room floor scenes that they dug up and used or did they reshoot those recently?

Thought they were a great touch to go back and see how it all was intertwined and Jimmy/Saul (and the show itself I guess) was years in the making.
All brand new scenes.
Rascal
AG
Anybody know what happened December 8, 2001 that Mike initially selected as his time machine date? Was that when he avenged his son's death in Philly?

My only unresolved issue is similar to Kim somehow getting off totally unscathed legally and it's about Nacho's father.

How did nobody from the Salamanca clan not kill him merely out of cartel level spite even after Nacho was dead? It's not like those guys had any level of honor in them and they knew that he knew they were criminals- he wasn't some innocent bystander that knew nothing about them.
Know Your Enemy
AG
I assume that was the day Mike's son was murdered.
bigjag19
AG
I assume that's the date son died without looking it up.

The dragnet makes sense. He's likely on at least a DEA most wanted list. That name gets plugged in and hits start flying.

The Chuck scene was very reminiscent of end of Godfather 2.
Jack Cheese
AG
Rascal said:

Anybody know what happened December 8, 2001 that Mike initially selected as his time machine date? Was that when he avenged his son's death in Philly?

My only unresolved issue is similar to Kim somehow getting off totally unscathed legally and it's about Nacho's father.

How did nobody from the Salamanca clan not kill him merely out of cartel level spite even after Nacho was dead? It's not like those guys had any level of honor in them and they knew that he knew they were criminals- he wasn't some innocent bystander that knew nothing about them.

Wasn't Mike protecting him during that time frame?
Know Your Enemy
AG
I'm honestly stunned no one has complained about Cranston's bald cap yet. I was sure I would see multiple complaints as I was watching that scene.
Cromagnum
AG
double aught said:

She name dropped Saul Goodman which stirred up the hornets nest.
Rascal
AG
bigjag19 said:

I assume that's the date son died without looking it up.

The dragnet makes sense. He's likely on at least a DEA most wanted list. That name gets plugged in and hits start flying.

The Chuck scene was very reminiscent of end of Godfather 2.

Ahh Matty's death. Yes makes the most sense.
Prosperdick
AG
walton91 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

So, what would you do with a time machine?

You mean a time masheen? Looks like I picked the wrong time to rewatch Idiocracy

Maya had a banging bod back then...she hasn't aged as well as Rhea.

As for the finale, I enjoyed it and something that occurred to me is there are some parallels to A Few Good Men. Saul is basically like Daniel Kaffee in that they both were masters at getting shortened plea deals and both were living in the shadows of great deceased lawyers (Daniel's father, Jimmy's brother). Kim was kinda like JoAnne in that they both brought out the best in Jimmy/Daniel although that one is a bit of a stretch.

fav13andac1)c
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

I'm honestly stunned no one has complained about Cranston's bald cap yet. I was sure I would see multiple complaints as I was watching that scene.
The first shot was pretty bad. But overall, for the scene it was serviceable.
Know Your Enemy
AG
One thing I wondered about is did the cops find the vacuum cleaner repairman's card in Gene's box when they found him in the dumpster?
Big Al 1992
AG
Ag_07 said:

Yes all new. And wow wow wow! Listening to the podcast. That was a deliberate Christmas Carol-esque visit from 3 ghosts from Jimmy's past - Chuck, Mike, and Walt.
torrid
AG
One thing about the Gene timeline. I had always thought it was a few years in future relative to BB, maybe 2013 or 2014. Now it appears to have taken place in 2010, only a few months after BB ended.
Ag_07
AG
Know Your Enemy said:

One thing I wondered about is did the cops find the vacuum cleaner repairman's card in Gene's box when they found him in the dumpster?

They backstory of the vacuum cleaner guy.

Now that would be a cool spin-off series.
Complete Idiot
Ag_07 said:

Know Your Enemy said:

They backstory of the vacuum cleaner guy.

Now that would be a cool spin-off series.
Funny to picture the police picking up the card stating "now this is just what I was looking for" and then we see

MW03
AG
I think Mike said that was the day he took his first bribe. If I recall, Mike told Matty that he took a bribe as a means of trying to get Matty to take a bribe. Matty relented and tried to set up a meeting to take the bribe, and he was ambushed and killed. I remember Mike crying saying that he broke his son's heart that day. Mike was wanting to never take the bribe so he could have supported his son, never broke his heart, and never talked Matty into taking the bribe the sent him in the ambush.

The Time Machine motif was interesting (including Walter chastising Saul about the concept in general). When you see the Time Machine book in Chuck's house, I think it's pretty clear that after Kim's confession, Jimmy realized that the meeting with Chuck was his time machine moment. In the end, he finally got it.
Know Your Enemy
AG
The second date in 1984 I think it was is when he took his first bribe, If he never did that Matty never would have been in danger. That would have redeemed himself and also saved his son. That is why he changed it.
barbacoa taco
AG
fav13andac1)c said:

Ghost of Bizbee said:

The 86 years sentencing sucks, but gotta love that he reconciled with Kim, Chuck, and arguably Howard and turned himself around
He also reconciled with Jimmy. He's facing the consequences of his actions, but as the man he truly is, not the shell he had become as Saul. Kim never would have visited him as Saul. He had already lost her entirely before the courtroom scene.

In a way, it is a happy ending. Because Justice Matters Most.
He may have lost by getting a life sentence, but he killed Saul for good and Jimmy won out in the end. He did the right thing and got the satisfaction of reconciling with Kim in the end.

Very similar to Walt, doing his best to make amends with his loved ones and freeing Jesse, and trading his life for it.

Beautiful ending to a phenomenal show.
barbacoa taco
AG
Ghost of Bizbee said:

The guy who plays Oakley did a great job in the finale. Underrated character
I busted out laughing when he tried to withdraw and the judge was like "not a chance"
barbacoa taco
AG
The finale was perfect. It gave us the best parts of Saul and Jimmy.

Slippin Jimmy was able to fabricate a story, with plenty of truth in it, to whittle his sentence down to 7 years. Then threw it all back in their face with his confessions in the courtroom. Maybe he accepted the fact that he really needed to be put away. For all we know he'd get out in 7 years then start scamming people again. Then by doing this he was able to do justice for Marie and Gomie's widow and get his comeuppance, and make amends with Kim.

That scene of them sharing a cigarette at the prison was perfect. Such a satisfying ending. Made me tear up a little. Beautifully written.
First Page Last Page
Page 112 of 124

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.