***** Ted Lasso S2 Thread *****

176,988 Views | 1385 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by boogieman
GrayMatter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think Nate will eventually find out that he can't run from his problems with his dad when he starts coaching. I think they will show he's brilliant at times, but terrible at handling his team. He'll eventually get fired and he'll end up at Richmond with his tail between his legs and Ted will give him a 2nd chance because this show is all about 2nd chances.

I don't particularly like it, but I see a scenario where Richmond will eventually be coached by Beard/Roy/Nate and Ted will leave and head back to the US. There's a reason why they keep showing scenes with his son.
Tanya 93
GrayMatter said:

I think Nate will eventually find out that he can't run from his problems with his dad when he starts coaching. I think they will show he's brilliant at times, but terrible at handling his team. He'll eventually get fired and he'll end up at Richmond with his tail between his legs and Ted will give him a 2nd chance because this show is all about 2nd chances.

I don't particularly like it, but I see a scenario where Richmond will eventually be coached by Beard/Roy/Nate and Ted will leave and head back to the US. There's a reason why they keep showing scenes with his son.
shouldn't Ted be with his son?

PatAg
AG
Tanya 93 said:

GrayMatter said:

GrayMatter
AG
Yes of course. I'm not suggesting that they aren't going to be together; I just find it difficult to believe that Ted stays in London without his kid for too much longer. Either they're going to have scenes in the US in the next season or he'll eventually come home. We don't even really know why they got divorced; that chapter is looming.
t - cam
AG
Tanya 93 said:

GrayMatter said:

Yes, they explained it well in season one why he left but him staying away doesn't jive with personality. I'm guessing season 3 will absolutely have some form of reunion with his son.

jeffk
AG
It'd be interesting if they took the "you can't save everyone" angle when it comes to Nate. Like Ted has regrets over the way their relationship soured and even tries to patch it up, but ultimately you need both parties to agree to reconcile.

Also, I really do think they've been hinting at a link between Ted's panic attacks and his estranged relationship with his father and with his own son. So I wouldn't be surprised if the culmination of this three season arc is Ted realizing that he loves coaching, but won't compromise his being close to his son to chase that dream. Maybe he goes home to coach an MLS team or his son and ex-wife get a chance to move to England.
powerbelly
AG
jeffk said:

It'd be interesting if they took the "you can't save everyone" angle when it comes to Nate. Like Ted has regrets over the way their relationship soured and even tries to patch it up, but ultimately you need both parties to agree to reconcile.

Also, I really do think they've been hinting at a link between Ted's panic attacks and his estranged relationship with his father and with his own son. So I wouldn't be surprised if the culmination of this three season arc is Ted realizing that he loves coaching, but won't compromise his being close to his son to chase that dream. Maybe he goes home to coach an MLS team or his son and ex-wife get a chance to move to England.
Ted becomes the USMNT coach.
jeffk
AG
I'll allow it.
Legal Custodian
AG
I'd be okay with Sudeikis replacing Berhalter right now.
Who?mikejones!
jeffk said:

Maybe doc's letter refers to him and his son and what he should do with that relationship?
CrottyKid
AG
I could see him becoming the Kansas City MLS team coach or something.
ChipFTAC01
AG
powerbelly said:

jeffk said:

Ted becomes the USMNT coach.

Ted dealing with Concacaf
nai06
AG
GrayMatter said:

Yes of course. I'm not suggesting that they aren't going to be together; I just find it difficult to believe that Ted stays in London without his kid for too much longer. Either they're going to have scenes in the US in the next season or he'll eventually come home. We don't even really know why they got divorced; that chapter is looming.
They got divorced because they grew apart. At least that's how I interpreted it. There didn't seem to be a specific catalyst. I don't think they get back to together either and if they did, I'd be disappointed from a writing standpoint.

Sometimes in life people grow apart and get divorced. It's not anyone's fault, it just happens. Ted and his wife don't have to reconcile or be together to be fulfilled or even good parents.
dc509
AG
nai06 said:

GrayMatter said:

They got divorced because they grew apart. At least that's how I interpreted it. There didn't seem to be a specific catalyst. I don't think they get back to together either and if they did, I'd be disappointed from a writing standpoint.

Sometimes in life people grow apart and get divorced. It's not anyone's fault, it just happens. Ted and his wife don't have to reconcile or be together to be fulfilled or even good parents.
If Ted ends up with someone it needs to be the extremely hot friend that he hooked up with.
Who?mikejones!
dc509 said:

nai06 said:

GrayMatter said:

If Ted ends up with someone it needs to be the extremely hot friend that he hooked up with.

That would be the most annoying relationship in the world
t - cam
AG
GrayMatter said:

Episode 5 season 1 makes it very clear why they split up. It's amongst the best episodes in the show. Rewatch if you need to.

dc509
AG
Eh, it's Ted Lasso. Personally I don't think he particularly needs a girlfriend, but she makes sense.
Tanya 93
GrayMatter said:

I guess it was how I interpreted your statement about how you don't like the idea beard etc will become the coaches and Ted goes back to parent his son
GrayMatter
AG
Tanya 93 said:

GrayMatter said:

I guess it was how I interpreted your statement about how you don't like the idea beard etc will become the coaches and Ted goes back to parent his son
Ah okay. Yeah I guess I was a big vague on that statement. Part of me wishes he'd stay across the pond at Richmond, but I'm guessing he misses his son a lot more and wouldn't surprise me if he went back home. Of course an alternative is if he stays and his son joins him in London, but it makes more sense if Ted heads back home as soccer isn't really his sport.

But, I don't think he will get back with his ex. It looks as if she has moved on and he seems to be finally getting over her. I either read or saw somewhere that Dr. Fieldstone will be back for Season 3 so I'm guessing she will continue to help Ted and perhaps Nate too?
Southlake
We love Ted Lasso, but he'd drive anybody crazy after awhile…imagine being married to that every day. Jar Jar Binks would be easier.

And, I think his son comes to London. Can't see the show leaving London - that's part of the vibe.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Somehow yesterday I stumbled across the fact that this story is loosely based on Terry Smith, an American who bought Chester City and then installed himself as manager to save money and try and save the club.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Smith_(football)?wprov=sfti1
Rudyjax
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

Somehow yesterday I stumbled across the fact that this story is loosely based on Terry Smith, an American who bought Chester City and then installed himself as manager to save money and try and save the club.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Smith_(football)?wprov=sfti1

Well what do you know. I thought it was based on a commercial for NBC getting the premier league.
Quad Dog
AG
redline248
AG
Quad Dog said:

at least she didn't cover up her nip
redline248
AG
Also, I find it pretty funny that the company hasn't been a sponsor for about a year and they still have been unable to replace the warmup shirts. Can you imagine that happening in the Premier League, or any major US sport?
DeangeloVickers
AG
I love soccer.....I want to like the women's teams. I REALLY enjoy Aggie Soccer and support as much as I can.

Our USWNT and these women's professional teams REALLY go out of their way to make sure I'll never root or follow anything they do.
Azariah
AG
t - cam said:

Azariah said:

htxag09 said:

I just want to know how Nate finds out where Ted keeps his picture and in turn is made to feel like complete dog *****
I don't think he would feel like dog **** at all. He feels like all of his anger is justified and he's not self aware enough to think about what it means for the rest of his indignation when one of his examples turns out to be wrong.

I think that will be when he realizes that people actually care about him. He won't stay villain.
I actually want him to stay a villain. Not because I feel betrayed by him and want some sort of vengeance, but because of Ted Lasso's commentary on real life. Ted Lasso gives the viewer a sense that something can be better in the world. That being like Ted is a realistic thing that we can aspire to, and it will make the world a better place. One of the things about the real world is that not everyone is redeemed. There are plenty of people who go down Nate's bitter path who never come back. Those people exist, and I think the show needs to acknowledge that in order to have the moral standing to say that the world would be a better place if we were like Ted.

If every villain in the show gets redeemed, then Ted Lasso stops being a realistic commentary on existence and instead becomes a fairy tale where everything always works out. That would cheapen the whole show and everything it has to say about our real world.
Max Power
AG
Azariah said:

t - cam said:

Azariah said:

htxag09 said:

I just want to know how Nate finds out where Ted keeps his picture and in turn is made to feel like complete dog *****
I don't think he would feel like dog **** at all. He feels like all of his anger is justified and he's not self aware enough to think about what it means for the rest of his indignation when one of his examples turns out to be wrong.

I think that will be when he realizes that people actually care about him. He won't stay villain.
I actually want him to stay a villain. Not because I feel betrayed by him and want some sort of vengeance, but because of Ted Lasso's commentary on real life. Ted Lasso gives the viewer a sense that something can be better in the world. That being like Ted is a realistic thing that we can aspire to, and it will make the world a better place. One of the things about the real world is that not everyone is redeemed. There are plenty of people who go down Nate's bitter path who never come back. Those people exist, and I think the show needs to acknowledge that in order to have the moral standing to say that the world would be a better place if we were like Ted.

If every villain in the show gets redeemed, then Ted Lasso stops being a realistic commentary on existence and instead becomes a fairy tale where everything always works out. That would cheapen the whole show and everything it has to say about our real world.
I also think the show really hammers home that childhood trauma is a different and inescapable/insurmountable battle. It weighs heavily on Ted, Rebecca, Jamie, and Nate. My relationship with my dad is complicated as well and it's something that won't ever be resolved. I think it's something Nate has only started to try and reckon with but ultimately won't get to where he needs it to go. It's also why I don't find him to be a real villain. Rupert is a villain, Nate is misguided. All the characters with that trauma have behaviors on the show directly attributed to them trying to overcome or mask it, I think the show is genius in that regard, it doesn't have to be this smart if it's just trying to be positive.

I do think because of what I've listed above that at some point it either causes the show to end with Ted going home or he and his wife working together to help him and his son have a better relationship. Ted's dad committed suicide to escape, he took a job he knew nothing about in a foreign country to escape, subconsciously or completely on purpose.

I love this show. Watching it has been therapeutic for me. Given that it's from Bill Lawrence it's not shocking that it has strong Scrubs energy. Lots of humor and heart, while also illustrating how hard it is for a lot of people to make it through every day regardless of what they present to the world. That we never really know what's happened to people in their past, what they struggle with daily. We're all just trying to get through the day.

This show personifies the saying "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about."

PatAg
AG
Quad Dog said:

Pretty funny how it seems to follow that Sam storyline.
Before people go on a soapbox about women's soccer, they are actually a former sponsor not a current one.
jeffk
AG
Yeah, too late.
Gigem314
AG
PatAg said:

Quad Dog said:

Pretty funny how it seems to follow that Sam storyline.
Before people go on a soapbox about women's soccer, they are actually a former sponsor not a current one.
Without even reading the article and seeing it was Portland I thought "A CBD brand would be smart to jump on that opportunity". Then I saw their previous sponsor was a CBD brand. Oh Portland.
Azariah
AG
Max Power said:

It's also why I don't find him to be a real villain. Rupert is a villain, Nate is misguided.

Sort of an Anakin/Palpatine relationship?
RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
Azariah said:

Max Power said:

It's also why I don't find him to be a real villain. Rupert is a villain, Nate is misguided.

Sort of an Anakin/Palpatine relationship?

Sure, without the murdering of the local U12 soccer all star team.

Rudyjax
AG
The Porkchop Express
AG
JS returns to host SNL tonight! My 2nd favorite cast member of the last 10-15 seasons, trailing only Bill Hader.

Please, please, bring back the legend.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.