***** Ted Lasso S2 Thread *****

177,083 Views | 1385 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by boogieman
Who?mikejones!
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Is the suit some sort of metaphor for nates confidence or lack thereof.

Ted bought him his first one, but now he's struggling with buying his own and needed keely to build him up enough.
Quad Dog
AG
LawHall88 said:

Tanya 93 said:

Agthatbuilds said:

Yes, that would be a realistic option.

Random question- why was nate buying a new suit
Interviews probably
Or maybe he thought he would get Ted's job after the article comes out.
I could see him wearing his new suit, spitting into a mirror, and walking into Rebecca's office with the newspaper claiming the job should be his. I'd love for Rebecca to say she already knew and give him the beating he deserves.
Meanwhile Ted would forgive Nate and say he should have done more to recognize Nate's contributions.
chiken
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

Because hes getting teased so much for Ted having purchased the grey one.
PatAg
AG
I don't know that Ted is going to be as understanding/forgiving as expected. He's had some therapy breakthroughs in the last few episodes (which I guess is a couple months in the show world).
He may still give Nate the tough love/advice he needs, but Nate could also be let go.
Bunk Moreland
https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-recaps/ted-lasso-recap-season-2-episode-11-midnight-train-royston-1233292/

One of the best TV episode reviews I've ever read imo. Still love the show and all...but this season, and that episode, have major flaws.
Tanya 93
LawHall88 said:

Tanya 93 said:

Agthatbuilds said:

Interviews probably
Or maybe he thought he would get Ted's job after the article comes out.
I was thinking media interviews, where he would be seen by the public and fans in one that he bought himself
jeffk
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-recaps/ted-lasso-recap-season-2-episode-11-midnight-train-royston-1233292/

One of the best TV episode reviews I've ever read imo. Still love the show and all...but this season, and that episode, have major flaws.

It's definitely en vogue to say that this season is inferior to the first. And it's not perfect by any means, but neither was the first. And also this is the middle season in a three season arc, so there's going to be some unresolved and seemingly unrelated strands to the story at this point. We've gotten to know the fuller cast quite a bit better through this season and they've been consistent with the development as far as I can tell.
Bunk Moreland
All that is good and well but it doesn't address the clear clunkiness of many plot lines this season. Again I'm not going to stop watching it and I still really enjoy this season and show. That said it has issues and they're worse than anything in season 1.

Sepinwall is the last person you would equate or even refer to jumping on an en vogue narrative. His points are valid imo.
PatAg
AG
A lot of what he says is pretty accurate, but I disagree with his take on Roy/Keeley. She clearly still has some lingering feelings for Jamie(even if they may be mostly physical). Anytime they have an interaction, that is how she is acting in the scene.
XpressAg09
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

Politics are making their subtle ways back in and are unnecessary.

How so? Because of Akufo?

As someone pointed out above, I can't decide if he's a real billionaire character that we should take seriously for future use, or if he's a contradiction and a billionaire who "doesn't want to be one" but buys out museums with actors.

If he's the latter, I think Sam stays at Richmond and that character goes away.
XpressAg09
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

Tired of hearing "the suit that Ted bought you."
OldArmy71
AG
Login required.

Excerpts?
Bunk Moreland
There's no login required i don't think?
jeffk
AG
Yeah, I agree with some points and disagree with others. Which is totally normal.

He seems to think Jamie is a main character of the show, and he's really more of a supporting cast member on Sassy's level, so naturally his arcs are pretty brief or off screen.

I think they've really woven a complex arc with Nate this season and the last. He's a wounded person and now he has the power to wound others. We've gotten to see why he's the way he is and how that's impacting the rest of the cast.

I'll admit the stakes of Sam's protest weren't realized. The team lost the sponsor but that was never discussed and they got a new one straight away.

Same with the Sam-Rebecca fling. I liked what we learned about Sam through it, but it was dumb and reckless for Rebecca. Maybe the writers just didn't understand how that would play in real life or maybe they didn't care. I'm hoping it's over and we can move on.

We really don't know what's going on with Roy-Keeley yet in response to the Jamie news, so it's too early to criticize that, imo. All we really got was them looking serious for a few seconds.

Crim revealing Nate as his source was a cheap shortcut. I wish we would have had to work a bit more for that. All in all though, those aren't as big of deals to me and I think there's so very similar nits to pick if you're looking for them in season one. But an entertainment magazine needs content and we need stuff to discuss each week, and that's fun. I definitely enjoy the show and look forward to it each week, which is somewhat rare with me and TV series the past few years.
XpressAg09
AG
Brock Sampson said:

I could see a situation where Nate's plan fails miserably, and either he or Ted get heavily criticized.

Is Richmond having a season where this game means relegation or promotion? Fans (of Richmond) might not like another loss and would put Ted on the hot seat if so.
jeffk
AG
We've already had a "team loses something meaningful in the finale" thing, so I kind of think the team wins and get promoted but everything else is going to crap off-the-field this season.
XpressAg09
AG
Rebecca likes Ted too much to allow Nate a promotion because of this. She'd look down on Nate for trying to use this as a springboard.
Bunk Moreland
Agree with a lot of your post as well. Though I do take objection to Jamie. He's nowhere near the level of Sassy.

Jamie was a central figure in season 1 and the first half of this season and then has basically been relegated to a featured extra. It had been very noticeable imo. To the point that I wonder if they had scheduling conflicts.
jeffk
AG
Oh, I want more Jamie. Huge fan of what he brings. But the writers definitely don't think he's a main character any more.
OldArmy71
AG
Yeah, it's asking for login or a subscription.

But not a big deal.
powerbelly
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

IMO he is taking a sitcom way way too seriously. This isn't Lost. We don't need complete narrative exploration or tie off like you would expect from a drama. Characters fall out of sitcoms all the time with little explanation. Especially after the first season.
spadilly
S
I decided a few weeks ago to not care if the plot isn't perfect and to just enjoy the show because I enjoy it.

Also, the tomato garden bit had me cracking up. I love those three lads and just imagine how cool it would be to hang around/with your favorite team's coaches/staff on a regular basis in a neighborhood bar.
chiken
AG
I think even if Crimm hadnt given his source Ted would have just asked his Diamond Dogs who it was point blank.
Bunk Moreland
Oh. Maybe I don't click rolling stone links enough to have seen that. Didn't realize they limit views.
jeffk
AG
I don't disagree, but I want to see that. Would have been excellent drama.
OldArmy71
AG
They must, because I remember reading Sepinwall last week, so I must be past my limit. I can pretty much tell what he said from the conversation, though, so no worries.
PatAg
AG
jeffk said:

Oh, I want more Jamie. Huge fan of what he brings. But the writers definitely don't think he's a main character any more.
Or, for this arc he isn't a main character. He could easily rise back into prominence. Which makes sense with a show that has a relatively large cast. You have 3-5 mainstays, and then another 3-4 that move up and down in importance and screentime.

I think Sam's character probably has the laziest writing done for it, which makes me wonder if they ever planned for him to do any of the things he has done this season.

I would also add that this billionaire from Ghana wanting Sam mirrors a lot of these players that have taken gigantic contracts to play in China or UAE (or other countries like that). If he takes the transfer, he is effectively killing his career.
jeffk
AG
Yeah, the going back home to play is another area where I could see the writers either not knowing how that plays IRL or not caring because a majority of viewers aren't that tied into international soccer.
aglaohfour
AG
chiken said:

I think even if Crimm hadnt given his source Ted would have just asked his Diamond Dogs who it was point blank.

Maybe he will do that, just to see if Nate confesses. It could help him decide what to do about it.
Ag-in-a-Box
AG
OldArmy71 said:

Login required.

Excerpts?

Open it in private browsing mode, it skips the login thing.
fig96
AG
jeffk said:

Man, I want Roy and Keeley to weather this little storm okay. Neither has done anything wrong and they're good to each other.

Also, where do we think Ted left the house to go there at the end?
I think this is a critical question.

My bet is on either Rebecca or Beard. If it's Rebecca she'll fully support him and probably fire Nate. If it's Beard he'll have a similar take, but has the last several eps of observations of Nate's behavior to add fuel to the fire.
Quad Dog
AG
fig96 said:

jeffk said:

Man, I want Roy and Keeley to weather this little storm okay. Neither has done anything wrong and they're good to each other.

Also, where do we think Ted left the house to go there at the end?
I think this is a critical question.

My bet is on either Rebecca or Beard. If it's Rebecca she'll fully support him and probably fire Nate. If it's Beard he'll have a similar take, but has the last several eps of observations of Nate's behavior to add fuel to the fire.

Nate's house to defend Nate in front of his parents?
FightinTexasAg15
AG
sburg2007 said:

All I have to say is Phoebe's teacher and her foul mouth are kinda hot.
That Irish accent, tell you what
FightinTexasAg15
AG
'Trent Crimm, the Independent' is basically the British 'Bob Vance, Vance Refrigeration'
OldArmy71
AG
Thank you!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.