***** Ted Lasso S2 Thread *****

177,420 Views | 1385 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by boogieman
PatAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
walton91 said:

Agthatbuilds said:

However, the political thing isn't a big deal, imo. The reason I think the show is going down hill is because it's not very funny, well acted, or organic feeling at the moment.

The show just isn't as natural as last season. It doesnt have the same flow. Lasso is trying too hard to be himself. The boss was better as a bad guy than a good guy.

I think you are on to something here. I'm liking the season fine but it kindof bothers me (compared to S1) a little that everyone is so nice now, Rebecca, Keeley, Ted, Higgins everyone. Last season the interaction of the characters was more varied and interesting with Ted's family drama, a bitter Rebecca, scared Higgins, Jamie v Roy, Keeley's early strained relationship with Rebecca. Everyone is just best friends now working for a team that was relegated and winless on the season. S2 is fine but just not nearly as interesting for me
3 episdoes in, and if you are paying attention, they have clearly laid the foundation for a lot of interesting conflict.

The season feels the exact same to me.
jeffk
AG
Also, Nate the Great is very much not nice to the new kit man.
La Fours
AG
The only plot issue I took from this episode was why didn't Sam's dad say something when he was signed by Richmond and put on the jersey.

Otherwise I really enjoyed the episode.
LawHall88
AG
Thunder18 said:

AgLaw said:

ChipFTAC01 said:

What's Roy Kent's history? Hadn't he played at bigger clubs and was now winding down his career with Richmond? His utter contempt he showed for Rebecca's date who supports, "United, City, whoever is winning at the moment." was delicious.

That's correct, and apparently the character is based on a real player, Roy Keane. That guy must have been a real peach.

Roy Keane is a Manchester United legend. He was a longtime club Captain known for vicious demeanor in the locker room and on the pitch (but he was actually a world class player, if somewhat underappreciated these days). He is also currently a pundit on british tv, he's a pretty funny follow on instagram.
Quote:

There is a classic story about Roy Keane never told until now that probably tells us a lot about the way he is wired and why, even after all these years, it is never easy breaking through that invisible wall he has built around himself.

It goes back to 2019 when the University Philosophical Society, based at Trinity College in Dublin, wrote to Keane to let him know he had been selected for an international award.

It was some honour: 'The Phil' is the world's oldest student society and previous recipients of its Gold Medal have included Joe Biden, then the vice president of the United States, as well as First Minister of Scotland Nicola Sturgeon, Apple chief executive Tim Cook, and actors Al Pacino and Helen Mirren.

The letter to Keane included several testimonies from some of the other people who have been made honorary patrons. Actor Whoopi Goldberg said, "This award means more to me than my Oscar." Movie director Martin Scorsese was "both surprised and moved." The Chancellor of Germany, Angela Merkel, described it as "an honour to be addressing progressive young minds."

And Keane, being Keane well, you just know where this story is going, don't you? He wasn't interested. It wasn't for him. And, no, don't even try to talk him around.

He's never been one for a big fuss, Roy.
Quote:

Danny Higginbotham, former Sunderland player

I loved playing for Roy
. People who don't know him personally have plenty of negative things to say but he was nothing but an inspiration for me.

I also remember he gave one of the most bizarre team talks I've ever experienced.

We were on a run of six defeats from nine games when we played Aston Villa. "Listen, lads," he said. "Basically, you're ***** Try to enjoy the game. You're probably going to get beaten. But just enjoy being *****"

Then he just walked out. Those words were insulting to any professional and, for that exact reason, it gave us the perfect motivation to prove him wrong. We played well, ended up drawing 1-1. It was a decent result and Roy's reverse psychology had worked. He knew what he was doing, he knew the reaction he would get from us, and that was a trick right out of the Brian Clough handbook.
https://theathletic.com/2738642/2021/08/08/roy-keane-at-50-robot-madman-winner/
ChipFTAC01
AG
Interesting that Jamie got the #9 back.
JYDog90
AG
With Keely's promo work for Bantr, I can see everyone signing up for an account and since you don't have pictures associated with it Ted and Rebecca getting together in kind of a You've Got Mail thing.
CrottyKid
AG
That would work for comedy, but my bet would be on Sassy as a way to add a bit of drama to that whole situation. They'd have to confront the fact that it could be more than just a one night stand.
Who?mikejones!
I hope not. Sassy is annoying as hell and I hope she makes no more appearances on this show
CrottyKid
AG
I don't disagree!
AgGrad99
AG
I dont mind Sassy in short doses.

When she started mentioning periods, and Ted got all quiet and uncomfortable, it made me chuckle
Rudyjax
AG
AgGrad99 said:

I dont mind Sassy in short doses.

When she started mentioning periods, and Ted got all quiet and uncomfortable, it made me chuckle

Dude at my daughters soccer practice the moms would start talking about that and all but one of the guys would just sit there in silence. It's soooooo awkward.

goadius6
AG
"I haven't seen a pass that soft since my high school drama teacher asked me to mow his lawn"

Best line of the episode and maybe season so far
ChipFTAC01
AG
Maybe the series.

Jokes like that work the best when they don't make a meal out of them or have a big reaction. Colin's Grindr comment would have been even better if they wouldn't have given it a beat for the Frenchman to look at him.
88planoAg
AG
No one has mentioned the American doll convo where the kid was asked 'so how did your doll's parents die' and the kid said 'they were cancelled'.

Great line.
ChipFTAC01
AG
88planoAg said:

No one has mentioned the American doll convo where the kid was asked 'so how did your doll's parents die' and the kid said 'they were cancelled'.

Great line.

The doll scene was great but I've missed that line in both of the times I saw it. Roy and his niece together are great.
AgLaw
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

I have a theory... 99% of people who watched season 1 binged it or knocked multiple episodes out in a single day.

Watching season 2 once a week like a traditional show automatically presents a different viewing experience.

I'm still enjoying it and so far I think it feels very similar to season 1.
I'm in your 99%, and I love season 2, so far. This is a fun show in the tradition of HBO's 30 minute comedies.
boogieman
AG
goadius6 said:

"I haven't seen a pass that soft since my high school drama teacher asked me to mow his lawn"

Best line of the episode and maybe season so far
Agreed. That one took me a second to catch. I had to pause it I was laughing so hard.

I know it was in the trailers, but the "Touch each other's toes!" rant was still funny.

I got a good laugh out of Roy calling kids "little idiots".

Quote:

"Look, most adults think kids need to be constantly entertained. It's bull***** I didn't need a ****ing parade every day growing up, did you? Truth is they just wanna feel like they're part of our lives. Little idiots."
PatAg
AG

Interesting. To sum up what he said, they filmed the first 3 episodes expecting them to all release at the same time, similar how season 1 was.

I might rewatch 1 and 2, right before watching 3 this week.
Who?mikejones!
PatAg said:

Interesting. To sum up what he said, they filmed the first 3 episodes expecting them to all release at the same time, similar how season 1 was.

I might rewatch 1 and 2, right before watching 3 this week.

That is interesting. It would definitely improved the flow had the first few dropped together.
MASAXET
AG
bthotugigem05
AG
Enjoying it so far, I think we will end up learning more about Ted's dark past. Doc's "heavy is the visor atop the coach's head" line and that her favorite book is Prince of Tides are both foreshadowing (every previous time a book title has been mentioned it has meant something).
FightinTexasAg15
AG
I also think that Nate is going to get a talking to about the way he's treating the new kid. Either from the diamond dogs or ironically from Jamie
denied
This was a completely unexpected episode and I thought it was hilarious!
rynning
AG
I'll go ahead and say it felt like a one-off episode that just didn't work for me. I don't know why . . . maybe because it's August?
zip90
AG
I find it funny that the wife and I were waiting for 11 to be able to watch the show, and then thoroughly enjoyed a Christmas in August tale.

Maybe we are just so starved for wholesome feel good comedy that we want to take it in as soon as we can.

redline248
AG
son of a b...every single thing Roy says or does puts me on the floor laughing.

You can't go beat up a little kid

Why not?
Quad Dog
AG
After watching last night we wanted more, so went back and watched a few from season one. On Sam's birthday Ted offered him a green army man. Sam said he wasn't a fan of America's military and returned the gift.
So making a statement against Dubai Air is within his character.
OldArmy71
AG
That is a good point.
FightinTexasAg15
AG
What a fantastic episode.

I was cracking up the whole episode
Quad Dog
AG
I also noticed that Sam was given the book Ender's Game by Ted in season one. I hadn't thought about the connection until someone above pointed out the importance of books in the show.
Ender's Game is about a young boy with huge potential isolated from his family. That grows into that potential and leadership. Ender makes choices to take his actions to the extreme end to prove points, but often the consequences of those actions are hidden from Ender. Spoiler for Ender's game: At the end he destroys an entire alien species during what he thought was a simulation, but it was a real battle. Afterwards Ender doesn't feel like he can return to Earth and remains away, but finds an egg of the alien species he destroyed. The book ends with Ender traveling he galaxy looking for a new home for the aliens.
A whole lot of parallels with Sam there. Now that's just good writing in this show, and a huge pay off from a tiny moment in season one to a major plot point in season two.
FightinTexasAg15
AG
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
I didn't know I needed a Xmas in August episode, but that was fantastic.

The "Ussie" kid being the dentist's kid was so great.

Roy's deadpan "I think you might be dying" killed me.

Also Roy's ice cream bus story: "finish your story"."three weeks ago" made me have to pause I was laughing so hard.
redline248
AG
Quote:

The "Ussie" kid being the dentist's kid was so great
Not to mention Roy wanting to kill him when he was talking about Keely
Average Joe
AG
I thought that was an awesome episode. It didn't bother me that it was a Christmas episode, but I bet it would hit even better if it was actually Christmas time.

Roy, Sam, and Ted are easily some of my favorites characters in television right now.
G Martin 87
AG
This episode just got added to our annual Christmas TV/movie playlist.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.