BY THE MOTHER FREEKIN POWER OF GREYSKULL! New HE-MAN on Netflix

10,148 Views | 79 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by RikkiTikkaTagem
YouBet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I watched the first 3 episodes. Episode 1 was terrible and dumb, but after watching the next two it was clearly done to recall the cartoon series from the 90s(?), set the stage, and then move on.

Episodes 2 and 3 were a better, a little more adult, but still lackluster. These first five episodes are all Teela as previously shared except for Episode 1 that has He-Man. The episode descriptions even tell you this so I'm not giving anything away. Thus, if you were expecting He-Man he ain't in it at least in this first batch of episodes. This is clearly a "it's time for the men to step aside and let the women rule kind of show".

Also, I guess I assumed these were going to be elevated to an adult series but they really aren't. You still have dumbass cowardly lion and floating Dorko. I kind of forgot about those characters because I think I was hitting girl and beer age around the time this show took off and never really watched much of it. I just remember how stupid it was and it mostly still is.

Two episodes left. Might finish if I get bored enough.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
YouBet said:

This is clearly a "it's time for the men to step aside and let the women rule kind of show".
Memo to Kevin Smith:

Ever heard of a f***ing show called "She-Ra"? Yeah, why don't you try doing THAT show and leave "He-Man and the Masters of the Universe" alone next time?
The Dirty Sock
I propose Kevin do to Barbie what he did to He-man:

"Barbie - Beyond the Dream House Part 1"

It's the late 90s, Barbie and Ken are well into their first year of civil union. Unfortunately Barbie is unable to conceive and adopting a trophy African child falls through. Barbie takes on a coke habit and leaves ken.

Distraught, Ken takes on a questionable new life even going as far to change his name to John. While serving in the underworld he meets the love of his life, Helen. Through shear will and focus he escapes the impossible life of crime and eventually weds his beloved.

They live happily for a time but she falls ill and dies. John falls into despair once more but finds the strength to move on by receiving the last gift of his late wife. A dog.
YouBet
AG
Would watch but I would want an arc covering Nose Candy Barbies adventures or maybe even a spin-off.
YouBet
AG
I forgot to mention in my initial review that Teela shows up in episode 2 after fallout from episode 1 with a lesbian haircut and a black female sidekick suggesting they are lovers.

I can't 100% tell on the latter though. Kevin is being a little cagey here making you think Teela could still hold some flame for Prince Adam. Guess I'll find out if I continue watching.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
YouBet said:

I forgot to mention in my initial review that Teela shows up in episode 2 after fallout from episode 1 with a lesbian haircut and a black female sidekick suggesting they are lovers.
I think this was a show on Freeform.
Bruce Almighty
AG
94% critic score on rotten tomatoes and a 30% audience score. If you want to make a show about Teela, fine. If you advertise this as a He-Man sequel, a cartoon where the audience was 95% boys who are now in their 40s, they're going to be pissed when the show is about a female character.
Counterpoint
AG
Since, thanks to this thread, I knew about all these issues beforehand I can't really complain about that stuff and have been enjoying it for what it is. My only problem is the insane amount of "last second saves." It's crazy! Someone in a scene gets saved by someone who wasn't even on screen during the fight at the last possible second. Then THAT person needs saving later in the fight and gets saved at the last second, and on and on. Did this happen that much in the original?
Dro07
AG
Watched it after reading this thread. Def sucks with what they did and the ending WTF?

Anyways I'll prob still watch the next season as just something to watch that mindless dribble to pass time much like bad batch
The Debt
Bruce Almighty said:

94% critic score on rotten tomatoes and a 30% audience score. If you want to make a show about Teela, fine. If you advertise this as a He-Man sequel, a cartoon where the audience was 95% boys who are now in their 40s, they're going to be pissed when the show is about a female character.

Kevin Smith is crying responding to critics and audience scores. Not a good look.
The Debt
GiveEmHellBill said:

YouBet said:

This is clearly a "it's time for the men to step aside and let the women rule kind of show".
Memo to Kevin Smith:

Ever heard of a f***ing show called "She-Ra"? Yeah, why don't you try doing THAT show and leave "He-Man and the Masters of the Universe" alone next time?

YouBet
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

That tells you all you need to know and why RT continues to be worthless and fake news.
AliasMan02
AG
So I'm not gonna watch this but am curious. Is it a sequel? Like is He-Man off ruling the kingdom and Teela has taken up the power of Grayskull?
The Debt
AliasMan02 said:

So I'm not gonna watch this but am curious. Is it a sequel? Like is He-Man off ruling the kingdom and Teela has taken up the power of Grayskull?

HeMan dies in ep1 and the series is Teela adventuring and chastising the men who ran with He-Man, while making significant glances at her female squad.

I know that sounds over the top...but it is what it is.
YouBet
AG
The Debt said:

AliasMan02 said:

HeMan dies in ep1 and the series is Teela adventuring and chastising the men who ran with He-Man, while making significant glances at her female squad.

I know that sounds over the top...but it is what it is.
And relegating her own Dad to baby sitting duty even though he's the greatest warrior in Eternia.

And then he defies her and saves her incompetent ass anyway and then self-relegates again. Kudos to Kevin Smith for the subtle reality check that it takes a Type A man to save your ass in a real moment of physical peril.

I just wanted to be fair and acknowledge that because it was kind of delicious to see that happen and then watch Teela get all "I'm a badass and willl do this on my own!" After her Dad saved her ass.
coconutED
AG
Average Joe
AG
It didn't seem as bad or over the top as made out in this thread. I think it will completely shift focus back to He-Man in the second half of the season.

I was a mid 80's child and only watched a few episodes here and there years later, so maybe I don't have the sentimental attachment some others do. I did enjoy it and thought it did a good job paying tribute to the typical 80s and 90s cartoon formula.

Also, for those calling it woke, did you not realize that it goes from Teela discovering herself to still needing Adam/He-Man to come in and save the day in the end?
YouBet
AG
Average Joe said:

It didn't seem as bad or over the top as made out in this thread. I think it will completely shift focus back to He-Man in the second half of the season.

I was a mid 80's child and only watched a few episodes here and there years later, so maybe I don't have the sentimental attachment some others do. I did enjoy it and thought it did a good job paying tribute to the typical 80s and 90s cartoon formula.

Also, for those calling it woke, did you not realize that it goes from Teela discovering herself to still needing Adam/He-Man to come in and save the day in the end?
I think it will too. Lina Headey's voice is hot, so I might watch again just for that.
Quad Dog
AG
I watched it last night due to some insomnia. IF I hadn't seen that teaser on page one I think I would have liked it much more. That teaser is pretty much all in the first episode, and nothing lives up to that. It's a bait and switch based on the teaser.

I understand the need to mix things up, remove some of the magic and He-man to create new conflicts, enemies, and heroes. It has to separate itself from the original cartoon and the nostalgia. Which I think it did some of that well by getting rid of Skeletor and splitting up the bad guys to create their own conflicts. But the advertising and expectations for the show should have been completely different.
YouBet
AG
Quad Dog said:

I watched it last night due to some insomnia. IF I hadn't seen that teaser on page one I think I would have liked it much more. That teaser is pretty much all in the first episode, and nothing lives up to that. It's a bait and switch based on the teaser.

I understand the need to mix things up, remove some of the magic and He-man to create new conflicts, enemies, and heroes. It has to separate itself from the original cartoon and the nostalgia. Which I think it did some of that well by getting rid of Skeletor and splitting up the bad guys to create their own conflicts. But the advertising and expectations for the show should have been completely different.

It's kind of mystifying that Kevin would get rid of Skeletor even more than He-Man considering whose voicing him and the over the top cheese, yet still fun character that he is/was.
Quad Dog
AG
I love Hamil's voice work, but it was too similar to his Joker for me.
YouBet
AG
Quad Dog said:

I love Hamil's voice work, but it was too similar to his Joker for me.

Was wondering if that was case. I never watched animated Batman so not all that familiar with it. Flame away on that!
Quad Dog
AG
Had we been sold something like:
He-man and Skeletor finally killed each other in the final conflict. Their deaths removed all magic in Eternia. Without a leader Skeletor's former henchman carve up Eternia into their own territories and fight against each other for control. Without magic and He-man, the former Royal Guard has split apart and the heroes struggle to find their place and purpose in this new Eternia.

Now that show sounds good. It's closer to what we got, but it's not close to what was advertised.
Quad Dog
AG
I just want to acknowledge the ridiculousness of me, a 40 year old man with a wife, kids and a real job, writing a fan-made promo for an animated revival of He-man. The internet's a weird place.
YouBet
AG
Quad Dog said:

I just want to acknowledge the ridiculousness of me, a 40 year old man with a wife, kids and a real job, writing a fan-made promo for an animated revival of He-man. The internet's a weird place.

Acknowledged!
The Debt
Quad Dog said:

Had we been sold something like:
He-man and Skeletor finally killed each other in the final conflict. Their deaths removed all magic in Eternia. Without a leader Skeletor's former henchman carve up Eternia into their own territories and fight against each other for control. Without magic and He-man, the former Royal Guard has split apart and the heroes struggle to find their place and purpose in this new Eternia.

Now that show sounds good. It's closer to what we got, but it's not close to what was advertised.

The problem with that is the same problem with the Kevin smith version. You kill the BBEG and the central protagonist from the get go. Strike that, it doesnt matter when, you shouldn't kill the central protagonist to make the story about the tertiary characters.

Ffs, imagine if you walk into a batman film and in the prologue Bruce wayne is killed and the remainer of the film is nightwing, robin, and batwoman learning to live without bruce. Dont call that Batman, that's "Gotham Knights" or somesuch.

(No Mans Land arc has bruce paralyzed from Bane and the sidekicks struggle to keep the city together until Bruce can get it together and he returns, so it's doable, they just dont kill bruce.)

What is a flash film without Barry Allen? What is Superman film without kal-el?

Further, the reality of the situation is that the franchise has been gone for 3 decades, what dumbsss thought it was smart to revive a franchise by killing its defining characters?
Claude!
Isn't crying a large part of Kevin Smith's current schtick?
YouBet
AG
Claude! said:

I thought that was hyperbole. It's not?!
AgPediRPh
AG
I found Sarah Michelle Gellar's whiny voice pretty annoying. Then again, maybe the character was supposed to be whiny.

I loved the ending however!
Claude!
YouBet said:

Claude! said:

I thought that was hyperbole. It's not?!
I'm sure there's a lot of self-awareness to it, but he does post a lot of "I cried while watching _________" stuff.
BigN--00
AG
I have only two complaints about the first five episodes. It was too short and there was no Ram Man. The rest was awesome. It took just a few minutes to realize that it is a direct sequel to the cartoon of the 1980's, except this time there are real consequences. Characters can die and Skeletor might actually win.

When Skeletor killsMoss Man, it was like, "Oh snap," this show is legit going to be different. I didn't even remember the character until I started thinking about the toys I had as a kid the next day, and then it really sunk in what had happened.

The voice actors are great--one thing that we can thank Covid for.

I don't know how anyone can judge the show by just five episodes. This link has a lot of spoilers, but it is spot on about how I felt after watching the show.

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/he-man-masters-of-the-universe-revelation-kevin-smith-netflix-1235026831/

redline248
AG
Finally watched this over the last 2 days. I was annoyed by the twist of it being a show about Teela. Also, was Orko always a useless magician? I barely remember the 80s cartoon.
Dro07
AG
oh ya that was his shtick. He would try to do something and it would always come out wrong. Occasionally it would work out but from what I recall he was always like that.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
redline248 said:

Finally watched this over the last 2 days. I was annoyed by the twist of it being a show about Teela. Also, was Orko always a useless magician? I barely remember the 80s cartoon.
Orko was the Jar Jar Binks of his day.
Dro07
AG
haha i was going to make that reference but didnt want to turn this into a jar jar bash
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.