BY THE MOTHER FREEKIN POWER OF GREYSKULL! New HE-MAN on Netflix

10,071 Views | 79 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by RikkiTikkaTagem
The Dirty Sock
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Negative. SNARF was the jar jar of our day.
Ronnie
AG
Scrappy Doo was the Jar Jar of our day
PeekingDuck
AG
Man, I didn't get any of the 'woke' stuff from this show. As much as I hate the injection of it into almost all media these days, it just doesn't seem as prevalent as some folks made it out to be in this thread. Things just get ****ed up and everyone kind of makes do. Then later on it is quite obvious who still runs the show for both 'leading' women.
RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
BigN--00 said:

I have only two complaints about the first five episodes. It was too short and there was no Ram Man. The rest was awesome. It took just a few minutes to realize that it is a direct sequel to the cartoon of the 1980's, except this time there are real consequences. Characters can die and Skeletor might actually win.

When Skeletor killsMoss Man, it was like, "Oh snap," this show is legit going to be different. I didn't even remember the character until I started thinking about the toys I had as a kid the next day, and then it really sunk in what had happened.

The voice actors are great--one thing that we can thank Covid for.

I don't know how anyone can judge the show by just five episodes. This link has a lot of spoilers, but it is spot on about how I felt after watching the show.

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/he-man-masters-of-the-universe-revelation-kevin-smith-netflix-1235026831/

From that article

spoiler about he-man appearing dead but not really dead. Kevin smith retorts: "I see people online go, 'Hey man, they're getting rid of He-Man!'" he said. "Like, you really ****ing think Mattel Television, who hired me and paid me money, wants to do a ****ing 'Masters of the Universe' show without He-Man? Grow the **** up, man. Like, that blew my mind, bunch of people being like, 'Oh, I smell it. This is a bait and switch.'"
C@LAg
She's gunna be the new (s)He-Man:

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Watched the last 3 episodes last night and really enjoyed it. I guess I can get the "Teela-centric" beef, but her story is a great unexplored arc of the cartoon. She's the daughter of the Sorceress in the series, clearly that must convey some sort of bonus powers to her.

Really loved what they did with Orko and his scenes with Evil-Lyn, and all Lena Heady brought to that character. And Adam deciding to leave paradise to return to Eternia is Hero's Journey 101 - Diana leaving Thmyscyra and so on.

Getting gutted by Skeletor (although clearly not killed) was a great moment.

Really enjoyed the 30-minute "making of" thing Netflix has out as well. Lena Heady admitted to be completely starstruck to meeting Mark Hamill.
RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna said:

Watched the last 3 episodes last night and really enjoyed it. I guess I can get the "Teela-centric" beef, but her story is a great unexplored arc of the cartoon. She's the daughter of the Sorceress in the series, clearly that must convey some sort of bonus powers to her.

Really loved what they did with Orko and his scenes with Evil-Lyn, and all Lena Heady brought to that character. And Adam deciding to leave paradise to return to Eternia is Hero's Journey 101 - Diana leaving Thmyscyra and so on.

Getting gutted by Skeletor (although clearly not killed) was a great moment.

Really enjoyed the 30-minute "making of" thing Netflix has out as well. Lena Heady admitted to be completely starstruck to meeting Mark Hamill.

Just got done watching today, and totally agree with this. I will say that Mark Hamills skeletor voice sounds like if his Joker voice and Cobra Commanders voice from the 80s gi joe cartoons had a baby.
The Porkchop Express
Part 2 drops on 11/23

#1 "What are we laughing at?"
#2 Ram-Man confirmed.

rshackelford
AG
Was good enough to watch. They kinda girl-powered it up which felt sneaky more than anything. Nothing against a strong female lead, but it's almost as if they used the He Man moniker to trick viewers into tuning in. Didn't stop me from watching through completion. It's not bad at face value.
The Dirty Sock
helloimustbegoing said:

Part 2 drops on 11/23

#1 "What are we laughing at?"
#2 Ram-Man confirmed.

Saw a lot of he-man in that trailer so i'm guessing he's barely in it?
RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
Watched this today. Felt "meh" about it. It still was a story about Teela and her journey which is fine, but feels like it should have been called something else. Adam/He-man has no character development or real story to him. He's not even fighting the most important battle at the end. Teela is.

ETA: looks like I had the same thoughts about skeletors voice months ago

Just my initial thoughts.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.