Moments that shook you

12,294 Views | 130 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by pilgrim82
superunknown
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

Ending of Arrival.

This is low-key one of my favorite movies.
duck79
AG
When G baby got shot in Hardball.
JCA1
AG
The ending of Arlington Road was a "holy ****" moment.
FIDO95
AG
From cinema, Hodor.

Real life, story of John Chapman's last stand:

Cry every time I watch these. "Greater love hath no man but this,..."
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Stupe
S
HollywoodBQ
AG
Stupe said:

ktownag08 said:

Hubert J. Farnsworth said:

The Astros winning the world series. My Grandfather who made me a Stros fan died right before the playoffs. All I could think about was him when they won.

Similar experience. My grandfather passed in 2010, but he watched the Astros every single night they were on. I have many memories driving to Astros games in his Oldsmobile sitting next to him as a little boy. We piled in that car and sat in the cheap seats, but we always had a great time. He would have loved every second of the season and playoff run. The moment they won I broke down. Hell, I'm half in tears writing about it now.
Different type of vehicle, same type of story.

I was at game 7 vs NY and when that last out was made, I lost it.
I was at game 6 in LA when we lost in 2017.
The next night I was sitting in the Qantas Business Lounge at LAX when we won Game 7.
I had a nice peaceful flight home - I was elated and knew that probably nobody else on the plane would care.
HollywoodBQ
AG
TexjbA&M said:

The scene in Hurt Locker where he's back in the US on the cereal aisle:

That's exactly what I was going to post.

I've been in exactly that position returning to the USA and shopping.
The sheer number of choices is overwhelming.
HollywoodBQ
AG
This is going to sound funny but... I was lucky enough to attend the final ever concert by my favourite band - RUSH at the LA Forum in 2015.

I was talking about it with two of my friends who were big Rush fans and even though they would have already seen the show in Texas, they wanted to see Rush again and wanted to see Rush with me in LA.

I started looking at tour dates and I saw that the last show on the tour was the newly re-opened Forum in Los Angeles. I started reading the message boards and concluded that this was most likely the final Rush show ever.

I talked it over with my friends and I was able to purchase 4 x $300 seats on the floor about 20 rows deep.

Surprisingly, the big emotional part wasn't going to the actual show. That was kind of surreal.

It was when I clicked purchase on $1,200+Ticketmaster fees worth of Rush tickets because I knew that was the final time I would ever be buying tickets for a Rush concert. It felt like I was booking a funeral for a friend who told me in advance, exactly what day he was going to die on.

EDIT: Just found this recent interview with Alex Lifeson
Quad Dog
AG
Recently the shoes moment in Jojo Rabbit got me. You know what I'm taking about if you've seen it.
I lost my dad at 27 so anything father son related gets me easily.
A lot of South Park moments shock me, make me laugh, and make me feel bad at myself for laughing. I can't think of anything else that mixes those emotions. Recently the police officers becoming teachers, then shooting Token got me. Another one that comes to mind is the Jersey Shore episode where Al Queda suicide bombs the Jersey Shore to save the U.S.
The Dirty Sock
That scene in Shallow Hal was pretty unexpected.
citizenkane06
AG
The last few scenes of "Paths of Glory" made me well up.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
ABattJudd said:

Another one (and another cartoon): the ending of Onward. I don't know how to do the spoiler blocks, but I will say that even though my father had been gone for nearly 20 years when I saw it, I still sat and bawled like a baby at the end.

Still have my dad and totally agree. Made me want to call my brother.
nickstro66
AG
Astros winning the World Series. Similar story to what has been mentioned.

When the Astros went to the World Series in 2005, my grandpa was going through brain surgery to remove tumors. He is the biggest Astros fan I have ever met. We watched just about every game together while I was growing up. His memory was never the same after the surgery, but he can rattle off Astros facts like it was nothing.

I was on the phone with him when we won it all in 2017, just so we could take it all in together. I will never forget that moment.

People can talk about the cheating all they want, but no one will ever take that moment away from me.

citizenkane06
AG
Robert Shaw during his monologue and final scene in "Jaws". He was so impressive that his fate still irritates me to this day.
Quad Dog
AG
Same here. I watched that game with my kids and wore my dad's Astros shirt that is older than me because he had died a few years earlier.
aggiebrad94
AG
The ending scene in And the Band Played On that showed all of the famous folks who had died from AIDS. I saw this movie in Health class as a freshman in high school. The suffering and neglect these early victims endured still crushes me.

Bette Midler, "The Rose." Heard it at Manor East Mall at the movie theater. The passion in her voice grabs my heart everytime.Hate that she's such a loon.

Any "Soldiers Coming Home" montage on youtube.

Finally, Raise a Hallelujah by Bethel Church is my anthem during my wife's battle with stage 4 cancer. The line, "death is defeated, the KING IS ALIVE!" brings me to tears and gives me hope.
Capitol Ag
AG
SWC Ag said:

putu said:

Saving Private Ryan

my wife and I were in LA the week it premiered. we saw it day 2 at Manns Chinese Theater. Tom Hanks hand prints in the sidewalk were still drying from the night before.

Packed Theater full of film industry types. was fun watching the previews as each studio cheered or booed depending on the film.

then the movie started.

beach scene-you could almost hear a collective breath as the scene was over.

radar station. - watching Giovanni Ribisi call for his mom was painful to watch. I can only imagine how many of our brave soldiers have done the same over the years.

Final battle - Adam Goldberg death with Upham frozen in fear. Then the subsequent redemption a few moments later.

Standing ovation at the end.

Redemption? The guy he talked Captain Miller into letting go has just killed Captain Miller. Upham shoots that guy and then lets the other half dozen Nazis go.
He didn't redeem squat. He made the same stupid mistake again even after just witnessing it's consequence.
I do not think he let them go. The US Army had secured the location and those German's were prisoners. At least that is the way I have always watched that scene. They were being moved and before they could go, Upham shot the guy who killed Cpt. Miller...
Carlo4
AG
putu said:

Saving Private Ryan

my wife and I were in LA the week it premiered. we saw it day 2 at Manns Chinese Theater. Tom Hanks hand prints in the sidewalk were still drying from the night before.

Packed Theater full of film industry types. was fun watching the previews as each studio cheered or booed depending on the film.

then the movie started.

radar station. - watching Giovanni Ribisi call for his mom was painful to watch. I can only imagine how many of our brave soldiers have done the same over the years.

Final battle - Adam Goldberg death with Upham frozen in fear. Then the subsequent redemption a few moments later.

I remember seeing this as a s16 year old with my mom in Richardson. A D-Day veteran was in the audience and the theater made sure to make the announcement to give him a moment/applause prior to the movie. He was with his wife and had to be late 70s at that point in his life.

About 10 minutes into the movie, he had to walk out crying, and I think I finally realized how awful war really is at that point. I recall they paused the movie for him, and decided he would come back in after the long opening scene calmed down.

Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
That is a great story. Awesome that the theater acknowledged that gentleman and went out of their way for him.
Longhorn Nation
Long-time German Shepherd owner - raising several from puppies+. The scene in Legend where Will Smith has to choke the dog to death as it's about to turn . . . I can not watch.
ChipFTAC01
AG
SWC Ag said:

putu said:

Saving Private Ryan

then the movie started.

Redemption? The guy he talked Captain Miller into letting go has just killed Captain Miller. Upham shoots that guy and then lets the other half dozen Nazis go.
He didn't redeem squat. He made the same stupid mistake again even after just witnessing it's consequence.

Wait a second, the guy that the nerd convinced Miller to release at the radar station is the one that comes back to kill Miller? Am I reading that right?
Texmid
AG
FIDO95 said:

From cinema, Hodor.

Real life, story of John Chapman's last stand:

Cry every time I watch these. "Greater love hath no man but this,..."
That video about Chapman got me just now. What an incredible last stand.
Jim01
AG
The series finale of The Good Place. Floored me when I watched it live. I did a rewatch just a couple weeks ago and it holds up. Water works galore.
GrayMatter
AG
Was lucky enough to attend a Hans Zimmer concert show near the front rows and then the orchestra played "Now We are Free" from Gladiator. Took my breath away.
Racer X
AG
Quote:

The second is from early in the first book in Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. The story has a few mildly creepy elements to that point, but for the most part it's cheerful village life. I didn't know anything about the series other than that it is fantasy. The main character and his father are back at the cabin, everything is warm and cheery and safe, and suddenly these horrific, broken creatures swarm through the door. It gave me a feeling like when you're about to fall asleep and you jerk awake because you think you're falling. But in that moment it's more than falling, it's that the world tilted on edge and the couch has become the wall; reality has fundamentally reoriented in a heartbeat. I reread that passage sometimes trying to figure out how Jordan pulled that off in text.
I had that same feeling. It was masterfully written. I wish I could read it again for the first time.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG

May 1977, 10 years old, sitting in the front row far right seat (not by choice but because of the crowds).
A great seat for this opening though. My life was altered by that movie.
pilgrim82
AG
Seeing/hearing Casting Crowns "Broken Together" video/song for the first time right after my ex-wife and I decided to call it quits after 15 years of marriage, the last 18 months of which were spent in on/off separation. The song expresses a lot of things I had been trying (unsuccessfully) to get across to my wife, but her depression wouldn't let her understand. The song makes me smile now, but that first time started a months-long dark period.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.