Moments that shook you

12,344 Views | 130 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by pilgrim82
aTmAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
maverick2076 said:

The telegram scene in We Were Soldiers.
There is a scene from the making of We Were Soldiers where Barbara Geoghegan (the real life wife played by Kerri Russell) was listening in on headphones on the filming of scenes with Russell, and she started breaking down (35 years after the fact). That has always gotten me.

Edit: Found it on youtube:

Seven Costanza
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

This documentary talk reminded me of Man on Wire. Saw that for the first time during a very tough period in my life. It was very moving and impactful. Have a framed poster in the garage from it actually.
I haven't seen it. What was impactful? Was it inspirational for you in some way?
EllisCoAg
AG
Watching Brian's Song as a kid, had no idea of the story. Had lost my Dad a few years earlier, me and Mom had a touching cry together.

Ulrich
When I watched Locke (with Tom Hardy) I was at a very low point in my personal and professional life. It was probably a good movie, but it forced me to realize that I was destroying myself from a sense of duty, and getting nothing from the experience. I quit my job soon after.
Chipotlemonger
AG
There is a simplicity to it, both the story and the motive, that it is compelling and yes, inspirational. i think at the time I just needed a reminder of what we can do, and what we choose to live our lives for. Obviously I highly recommend the film!
aggierogue
AG
Stive said:

I've watched Lonesome Dove with each of my oldest girls separately when they hit 11 years old. Watching each of them watching Gus laying in bed talking to Call, and later the flashback scene at the end has been emotionally jarring for me.

The first time I watched The Pacific, during the final episode when Sledge is at home in his bed having a night terror, and his dad is out in the hall, leaning on the door in his own personal hell knowing there's nothing he can do to take the mental anguish away from his son.... Later when those same two go hunting and Eugene freaks out after walking a short distance through a field holding a gun. His fathers fears from episode 1 had all come true: his sons soul had been destroyed. I've rewatched the series since and it's just as heart wrenching but that first time watching it was brutal.

ETA one more:

My grandfather died in 2010. He lived less than half a mile down the road from me when I was growing up, had fought in WW2, had 10 kids, and was a bigger than life individual in the area where I was raised. The night after he died I was just sitting quiet listening to music and Alan Jackson's Remember When came over the speakers. My wife found me in an emotional wreck 5 minutes later.

Interestingly enough (at least to me) I was "good" in the days following and pretty much ever since. After several other emotional losses in the past 10 years, I've played that song myself within a day or two of the person passing (before the funeral). It tends to take me down a memory lane about their life, tears me up for a few minutes, and then my mind and heart are good. Outside of those moments I don't like listening to that song.
Daughter is about to turn 11, and Lonesome Dove is in my top 3 all-time for tv/movies.

How'd you explain all the "poke" scenes to an 11 year old?
Stive
AG
Our kids learned some of the basics of biology in that department at age 10. If you have kids in school and they haven't had that talk with you by that time, they're likely learning about it piecemeal on the playgrounds during recess.

During the show, both of them kind of looked at me and asked "Are they talking about....?", I just laughed, rolled my eyes and said yes. I gave them a short history lesson about women's situations in western towns that was a little enlightening for both of them but after a 1 minute discussion we were off and running and they were fine with it from there.

I did make the decision to not go into detail about Lori's PTSD after getting rescued by Gus from Blue Duck. One of the girls asked me why she was acting the way she was and I just said she'd been scared, tortured, beaten and had seen a lot over a long period of time, and that some people had to go through a long healing time after situations like that. I left all of the rape stuff off the table because we haven't gotten to those discussions with them yet and their brains would have had a hard time comprehending it.
aggierogue
AG
Appreciate the response. We've had some discussions as well. But I was interested how you handled the prostitution discussion.
Stive
AG
Mainly with the history lesson, and even used a quick reference to some key names/figures in the Bible. We didn't get into much detail about it since kids brains work at about a 1 inch depth compared to adult brains. Just kept it simple, direct, mixed in some references that I thought they could process and hit play. They seemed to roll with it pretty easily and were laughing at Gus or the pigs within seconds after the chat.

We as adults understand the insinuations being made with all of the comments but the kids don't. In Nebraska when the guys go to visit the Buffalo Heifer I don't think they had any idea what was going on after they went inside. It was the comments between Gus/Dish/Lori/Jake about pokes that made them a bit confused. But when nothing was said like that, it was just some Cowboys wanting to meet women.
Urban Ag
AG
This. Seeing/hearing this in the trailer crashed my entire childhood on me in a way I would have never thought anything could. And why would I have? It literally rolled me. A mix of joy, nostalgia, and sadness.

ChipFTAC01
AG
After first reading Where the Red Fern Grows in probably middle school I made a habit of reading it every few years. Eventually I wouldn't just cry when the digs die but when he leaves for the hunt.

And that was before I ever had a dog. My kids are still probably a year or two away and I'm both so excited and so saddened to share it with them.
hunter2012
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

End of ROTK.

Samwise: "Rosie Cotton dancing. If ever I was to marry someone, it would've been her."

The absolute heartbreak in his voice kills me every time.

This was my moving Samwise moment:

Frodo:What are we holding on to Sam?
Samwise: There's some good in this world Mr. Frodo, and it's worth fighting for.
LC Wannabe
S
Wow, what a great (and difficult) thread to read. I guess, to answer OP's question, this thread.
ABattJudd
AG
Malachi Constant said:

The first 5 minutes of UP!
I'm guessing I don't need spoiler blocks for this one.

The scene where they are painting the baby room, then you see them in the doctor's office with the wife crying. I had seen that movie several times before, but the first time seeing it after my wife and I went through a miscarriage, I had to leave the room for a minute. That's a rough one.
"Well, if you can’t have a great season, at least ruin somebody else’s." - Olin Buchanan
powerbelly
AG
In Harry Potter when the Weasley's are all standing around Fred's dead body
Leggo My Elko
AG
The scene in Hurt Locker where he's back in the US on the cereal aisle:
DW91AG95
AG
Shane Vendrell and his families death in the Shield. I didn't expect it so it was a huge gut punch.
aggierogue
AG
End of Shawshank and when he reaches the end of the sewage and stands in the rain.

Final scene of Cinema Paradiso (watching the cutouts) - amazing.
FightnFarmerUSMC
AG
I was 9 or 10 and watched the Gary Sinise/John Malcovich Of Mice and Men movie with my parents. I did not know the story and had never even heard of the book. When he kills Lenny I was inconsolable. It stayed with me for the better part of a week. I still can't watch it whenever it's on TV.
La Fours
AG
Oh, I remembered a movie that messed me up, and not in a good way.

Requiem for a Dream. Too many scenes in that movie to try and list specific ones. But gotdamn.

Chipotlemonger
AG
Great answer. I thought of this movie as well when I came to this thread.

I had a cancel a date the night I watched it because I was feeling pretty nauseas for some reason the day of. So then I chose to watch this heartwarming movie because it was on my list of highly touted movies to still see at the time. As you can guess, I don't think it helped with my nausea.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
This song gets me in ye ol soft spot when I'm in a quiet place to hear it..just impeccable
It is so easy to be wrong—and to persist in being wrong—when the costs of being wrong are paid by others.
Thomas Sowell
Stupid@17
AG
Any scene where a child my daughter's is being hurt usually sets me off a Rollercoaster of sad, frightened for my own child, then contemplating ways id take extreme vengeance.
aTmAg
AG
The Dirty Sock
The first bit of Lion. Probably because I got kids and can't imagine my own going through that.
Producers_96
AG
Field of Dreams was on the day after my father died.

Yup. I lost it at the end.
MooreTrucker
AG
Wow, I lose it every time, and my dad is still around. I can't even imagine.........
Bonfired
AG
Speaking at one of my best friend's memorials in 2010 in our hometown a year after he was killed in Afghanistan (LTC Mark Stratton '91). I am not much of one for public speaking, but I felt like I had to do it. I had my remarks typed in about size 18 font so it would be easier to see them...got through that, but at the end there was a video montage of Mark through the years with Neil Diamond's "America" playing...that started the waterworks. I will always think of him when I hear that song.

As a kid, I remember watching a Christmas show called Nestor the long eared donkey...don't think it was shown too often. There was a scene where Nestor and his mom got caught in a blizzard and they had to stop. Mom covered him up and died protecting him, and he had to keep on going...still kind of hits me where I live, being a child of a single mom.
MooreTrucker
AG
Bonfired said:

As a kid, I remember watching a Christmas show called Nestor the long eared donkey...don't think it was shown too often. There was a scene where Nestor and his mom got caught in a blizzard and they had to stop. Mom covered him up and died protecting him, and he had to keep on going...still kind of hits me where I live, being a child of a single mom.
Just reading that gets to me, and I have never seen the movie.
Anchorhold
Southlake
George Jones', He stopped Loving Her Today.

When I figured out that he was the one who died.

Tibbers
Ulrich said:

When I watched Locke (with Tom Hardy) I was at a very low point in my personal and professional life. It was probably a good movie, but it forced me to realize that I was destroying myself from a sense of duty, and getting nothing from the experience. I quit my job soon after.
Thanks for this. I watched it tonight and I know what you mean as I am in the same position upon viewing.
ABattJudd
AG
Another one (and another cartoon): the ending of Onward. I don't know how to do the spoiler blocks, but I will say that even though my father had been gone for nearly 20 years when I saw it, I still sat and bawled like a baby at the end.
"Well, if you can’t have a great season, at least ruin somebody else’s." - Olin Buchanan
Texaggie7nine
Ending of Arrival.
7nine
Stupe
S
This showed up on my feed a few years ago and I remember sitting at my desk in silence.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.