Moments that shook you

12,288 Views | 130 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by pilgrim82
Fairview
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The end of The Mist.

If it was just adults I wouldn't have had a second thought but it was killing the 8 year old the way it happened that got me.
caleblyn
Passion of the Christ!
gggmann
AG
This song. Released before I was even born, but dang does it hit home. Gordon's voice is haunting. Such a perfect song.

jeffk
AG
Seabreeze said:

This always gets me

Beautiful movie and especially beautiful scene. The music, colors, everything.
putu
AG
Saving Private Ryan

my wife and I were in LA the week it premiered. we saw it day 2 at Manns Chinese Theater. Tom Hanks hand prints in the sidewalk were still drying from the night before.

Packed Theater full of film industry types. was fun watching the previews as each studio cheered or booed depending on the film.

then the movie started.

beach scene-you could almost hear a collective breath as the scene was over.

radar station. - watching Giovanni Ribisi call for his mom was painful to watch. I can only imagine how many of our brave soldiers have done the same over the years.

Final battle - Adam Goldberg death with Upham frozen in fear. Then the subsequent redemption a few moments later.

Standing ovation at the end.

"Cal (9-3) vs. Texas A&M (9-3). On the list of rare sights in Southern California, a team running the option -- as the Aggies like to do with QB Stephen McGee -- ranks right up there with real breasts and 12 inches of snow." Stewart Mandel CNNSI
riz
AG
Around the 30 second mark of this clip

Yes, I know this movie isn't worth being recognized, but always thought this scene was powerful/moving

AgPediRPh
AG
I saw U2 in concert late 2001. During the performance of "One", the background screen scrolled the names every victim of 9/11 and where they died. It seemed like the list would never stop; the crowd was pretty much silent.
jeffk
AG
Pretty much the same setup they used for their halftime show at the Super Bowl that year.
Big Cat `93
AG
caleblyn said:

Passion of the Christ!

This. Absolutely this.
YouBet
AG
These are hard to remember for me for some reason. I probably purge them on purpose. The Never Ending Story one is rough. Anything with animals is rough for me. The I Am Legend scene almost made me walk out.
Aston 91
AG
Johnny Cash's version of "Hurt", particularly the video. Can't make it through it without a lump in my throat and/or a tear in my eye.
GoAgs92
AG
Perfect storm as the boat is sinking, the crewman says "this is going to hard on my boy"

$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
putu said:

Saving Private Ryan

my wife and I were in LA the week it premiered. we saw it day 2 at Manns Chinese Theater. Tom Hanks hand prints in the sidewalk were still drying from the night before.

Packed Theater full of film industry types. was fun watching the previews as each studio cheered or booed depending on the film.

then the movie started.

beach scene-you could almost hear a collective breath as the scene was over.

radar station. - watching Giovanni Ribisi call for his mom was painful to watch. I can only imagine how many of our brave soldiers have done the same over the years.

Final battle - Adam Goldberg death with Upham frozen in fear. Then the subsequent redemption a few moments later.

Standing ovation at the end.

Redemption? The guy he talked Captain Miller into letting go has just killed Captain Miller. Upham shoots that guy and then lets the other half dozen Nazis go.
He didn't redeem squat. He made the same stupid mistake again even after just witnessing it's consequence.
billyboy2001
AG
Forrest Gump when his mom is sick and passes. It's such an understated part of the movie due to how heavy the rest of it is but how great his mom was in general hits too close to home. Even when it's on tv at some random time, it still hits too hard.
Stive
AG
I've watched Lonesome Dove with each of my oldest girls separately when they hit 11 years old. Watching each of them watching Gus laying in bed talking to Call, and later the flashback scene at the end has been emotionally jarring for me.

The first time I watched The Pacific, during the final episode when Sledge is at home in his bed having a night terror, and his dad is out in the hall, leaning on the door in his own personal hell knowing there's nothing he can do to take the mental anguish away from his son.... Later when those same two go hunting and Eugene freaks out after walking a short distance through a field holding a gun. His fathers fears from episode 1 had all come true: his sons soul had been destroyed. I've rewatched the series since and it's just as heart wrenching but that first time watching it was brutal.

ETA one more:

My grandfather died in 2010. He lived less than half a mile down the road from me when I was growing up, had fought in WW2, had 10 kids, and was a bigger than life individual in the area where I was raised. The night after he died I was just sitting quiet listening to music and Alan Jackson's Remember When came over the speakers. My wife found me in an emotional wreck 5 minutes later.

Interestingly enough (at least to me) I was "good" in the days following and pretty much ever since. After several other emotional losses in the past 10 years, I've played that song myself within a day or two of the person passing (before the funeral). It tends to take me down a memory lane about their life, tears me up for a few minutes, and then my mind and heart are good. Outside of those moments I don't like listening to that song.
maverick2076
The end of Frequency, when Jim Caviezel's dad shows up. I saw it in the theater and was not expecting that.

The telegram scene in We Were Soldiers.
Hubert J. Farnsworth
The Astros winning the world series. My Grandfather who made me a Stros fan died right before the playoffs. All I could think about was him when they won.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
End of ROTK.

Samwise: "Rosie Cotton dancing. If ever I was to marry someone, it would've been her."

The absolute heartbreak in his voice kills me every time.
Stupe
S
Fat Bib Fortuna said:

When Nicholson meets his granddaughter for the first time and she kisses his cheek, then they cut to him crossing "kiss the most beautiful girl in the world" off his bucket list.
Chokes me up every time.

Every. Single. Time.
Stupe
S
John Coffey asking that the mask not be put on his head because he's afraid of the dark.

That big, powerful character that was as pure-hearted and scared as a little child.

I don't know how many time that I've seen the movie, but I have never made it through that scene without tearing up. Never.

Hubert J. Farnsworth
Brian Earl Spilner said:

End of ROTK.

Samwise: "Rosie Cotton dancing. If ever I was to marry someone, it would've been her."

The absolute heartbreak in his voice kills me every time.

Sean Astin was absolutely incredible in those movies. Especially that scene.
Ulrich
maverick2076 said:

The telegram scene in We Were Soldiers.

That's a good one.
SquareOne07
AG
Saw Jason Isbell at the Moody Theater in Austin with my pregnant wife. He brought Amanda Shires (also pregnant wife) out on stage to play the fiddle for Flagship and as the song played on, the stage went dark to leave only a spotlight on her and her fiddle playing. The way she shone and lit up was sometaphorical.
RiskManager93
AG
Gramercy Riffs said:

Dear Zachary.

Most powerful documentary I've ever seen. Watched one night during a bout of insomnia. Started it at 1:00 a.m. and knew nothing of the story. When it ended, I felt as if my heart had been ripped from my chest.

I wept.
UnderoosAg
AG
The end of Lone Survivor. I almost anticipated the roll call of the fallen at the end. But when it switched from DoD or overseas photos to wedding and backyard photo I about choked on the lump.

Not as bad, but Todd shooting Drew Sharp in Breaking Bad. One of the few times I've ever yelled at a tv.

Red dress in Schindler's List

Red shoes in Jo Jo Rabbit
Chipotlemonger
AG
This documentary talk reminded me of Man on Wire. Saw that for the first time during a very tough period in my life. It was very moving and impactful. Have a framed poster in the garage from it actually.

BusterAg
AG
Big Fish. That guy reminds me of my grandfather in so many ways. I saw it about 2 years after he died. Destroyed me.

Devils Advocate. When the wife walks in and a little baby is playing with her uterus, and you realize the thing she wanted most in life was taken from her.

The closing Montage in The Shield really gets me. The perfect blend of nestalgia and music

OK, cheating here, but the death of Aerith in final fantasy 7 Shocking.

The first season of 24, when the beeps stop.

It's about time, last ping pong game.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms … disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes… . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.”

--Thomas Jefferson
snowdog90

BrazosBendHorn
The untimely demise of Col. Henry Blake in M*A*S*H (TV show)

Also, the epilogue of Schindler's List where the actual survivors are placing stones on his grave in tribute. I literally choked up to the point of not being able to breathe.

And, the very end of About Schmidt
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Many already mentioned here that had a big emotional impact on me, such as The Passion of the Christ and We Were Soldiers.

Another one, for me, is Super 8. One of the movie's primary themes is loss of a parent (the mom), and I had lost my own mom within a year of that movie's release.

One of those movies the Georgia-based church puts out (did movies like Facing the Giants), featured a man who's daughter dies in a tragic car accident, can't recall the title of the movie, but in all the stuff in the movie where he was imagining dancing with his daughter at her wedding that would now never happen, and with me being a dad to a young daughter, that got me.

American Sniper - that movie did such a great job of just putting me into Kyle's life as a Navy SEAL, as a man, husband and father, that when the ending started and we get that first glimpse of him meeting the veteran who ultimately would kill him, we see the shot of his wife looking one last time on him through the door, that I had completely forgotten that the movie was not fiction - and then it cuts to real footage of the motorcade through Dallas. That was an emotional gut punch.

Not movies, but football - I've only lost it emotionally at two football games, the first time at the conclusion of the '99 sip game after Gamble recovered that fumble and lifted his arms toward Heaven. The last was the 7-OT game against the swamp kitties. I had lost my dad earlier that year. He and I had been going to 1-2 games together each season, and for that season, we had decided to go to that game. My first couple of times in Kyle Field that season without my dad was tough, but that last game (last game I've actually attended), I literally felt my dad's presence with my wife and I, and when Rogers caught that decisive 2-pt conversion pass, I lost it.
ktownag08
AG
Hubert J. Farnsworth said:

The Astros winning the world series. My Grandfather who made me a Stros fan died right before the playoffs. All I could think about was him when they won.

Similar experience. My grandfather passed in 2010, but he watched the Astros every single night they were on. I have many memories driving to Astros games in his Oldsmobile sitting next to him as a little boy. We piled in that car and sat in the cheap seats, but we always had a great time. He would have loved every second of the season and playoff run. The moment they won I broke down. Hell, I'm half in tears writing about it now.
MW03
AG
Always been a huge Avett Brothers super fan. My mom passed away, and they released an album called True Sadness shortly thereafter. There's a track on there called No Hard Feelings, and a verse that says:

When my body won't hold me anymore
And it finally lets me free
Where will I go?
Will the trade winds take me south
Through Georgia grain or tropical rain
Or snow from the heavens?

Will I join with the ocean blue
Or run into the savior true
And shake hands laughing
And walk through the night
Straight to the light
Holding the love I've known in my life
And no hard feelings

My mom was a devout Georgia woman who loved her tropical vacations. Listening to that song on repeat for hours that first time had me crying tears of the most palpable, bittersweet joy. It was as though they had written it about her, but to help me.
Stupe
S
ktownag08 said:

Hubert J. Farnsworth said:

Similar experience. My grandfather passed in 2010, but he watched the Astros every single night they were on. I have many memories driving to Astros games in his Oldsmobile sitting next to him as a little boy. We piled in that car and sat in the cheap seats, but we always had a great time. He would have loved every second of the season and playoff run. The moment they won I broke down. Hell, I'm half in tears writing about it now.
Different type of vehicle, same type of story.

I was at game 7 vs NY and when that last out was made, I lost it.
duck79
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Not movies, but football - I've only lost it emotionally at two football games, the first time at the conclusion of the '99 sip game after Gamble recovered that fumble and lifted his arms toward Heaven. The last was the 7-OT game against the swamp kitties. I had lost my dad earlier that year. He and I had been going to 1-2 games together each season, and for that season, we had decided to go to that game. My first couple of times in Kyle Field that season without my dad was tough, but that last game (last game I've actually attended), I literally felt my dad's presence with my wife and I, and when Rogers caught that decisive 2-pt conversion pass, I lost it.

Not only this but when you add in the ending of midnight yell before the game, Gamble raising his arms was a culmination of emotions.
La Fours
AG
I can't think of specific movies right now, but have 2 songs.

Grew up hearing this song, but as a kid the meaning was lost on me. My jr or sr year at A&M I heard this song and the lyrics carried more meaning. I had been struggling in school that led to a very emotional conversation with my dad where he shared many of the sentiments of the song. And now as a dad, the song is even more impactful, because now it's my job. I cry every time I hear it. If I'm driving, I have to change the station.

This song is special to me because I have guns from both of my grandfathers. Some were given to me before they died, and some I inherited. And when my mom's dad died unexpectedly, hearing this song hit hard.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.