Guitar players- I ordered a "CHibson"

7,842 Views | 73 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by dude95
TequilaMockingbird
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Obviously I can't plug it in to check the electronics. But build quality looks good. Also they've improved on a lot of the telltale fake aspects, such as using an Epiphone style bridge or jicky looking tuners. Both look genuine. The only thing I see is no nibs on the neck binding.
TequilaMockingbird
More headstock madness. I'm waiting to hear from the Chi-coms to see how it is resolved. If I have to eat it I've spoken to a couple of guys about doing a functional repair.

Quincey P. Morris
AG
What's the rest of it look like? That's a hell of a break.
TequilaMockingbird
The rest of the guitar is fine. In fact I'm pretty impressed.

I've been quoted $150 for a good functional repair. If I wind up having to eat it I'll get it fixed.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
That's a lot less than I'd have expected. Hell, I'd wager if they replace it they're probably unlikely to want to deal with getting that one back so I'd still get it fixed for that cost.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I'd also think you might be able to dispute the charge with the credit card company if they refuse to make it right.
TequilaMockingbird
After more communication it appears they will send a replacement if I pay shipping (app. $80) and I will keep the damaged one as well. I think I'm going to buy a couple of clamps and try to fix it myself.
TequilaMockingbird
Going for it

Quincey P. Morris
AG
What did you put in for support?
TequilaMockingbird
Ranger #007 said:

What did you put in for support?
Just glue. I don't have the resources to do splines.
DallasTeleAg
TequilaMockingbird
Still needs fill in w/ black superglue

also needs a tiny bit of fill in

It feels solid
TequilaMockingbird
Rather than spend alot of time trying to make it pretty, I went ahead and strung it up to check things out.

So far so good on the repair (strung up for 2 days now). I did discover a couple of the frets near the fretboard end (19, 20) were a tad high. I filed them down slightly which helped but did not quite get there. I should polish them as well. I'll try again after a few days when I put on a heavier set of strings.

The pickups kind of suck. Surprisingly the pots seem okay. Nice taper on the volume controls and sounds like they either have treble bleeds on them, or it's wired 50s style. I guess I should crack it open and look.

I hate the trapeze tailpiece. If I keep it I'll have a stop tailpiece installed.

The neck is obese like a 50s style Les Paul should be. The tuners are just okay.

Overall it's workable. When/if I get the replacement (and it's not broken) I may dump this one at a pawn shop, or turn it into a clock. We'll see.
TequilaMockingbird
Replacement arriving by June 17th. Fingers crossed....
DallasTeleAg
I really don't know much about "Chibsons". Who makes these and how are they able to do so? Obviously, people know they aren't Gibsons, so why do they put "Gibson" on the headstock? Why don't they just call it something else?
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
chinese knock-offs.

they do the same with all kinds of other stuff. i've got a buddy with a golf bag full of chinese name brand club knock-offs. almost impossible to differentiate between them and the real thing (the golf clubs at least, no experience with "chibsons").
dude95
AG
TequilaMockingbird said:

Rather than spend alot of time trying to make it pretty, I went ahead and strung it up to check things out.

So far so good on the repair (strung up for 2 days now). I did discover a couple of the frets near the fretboard end (19, 20) were a tad high. I filed them down slightly which helped but did not quite get there. I should polish them as well. I'll try again after a few days when I put on a heavier set of strings.

The pickups kind of suck. Surprisingly the pots seem okay. Nice taper on the volume controls and sounds like they either have treble bleeds on them, or it's wired 50s style. I guess I should crack it open and look.

I hate the trapeze tailpiece. If I keep it I'll have a stop tailpiece installed.

The neck is obese like a 50s style Les Paul should be. The tuners are just okay.

Overall it's workable. When/if I get the replacement (and it's not broken) I may dump this one at a pawn shop, or turn it into a clock. We'll see.
Just saw this - but a glue and clamp up, even without splines should be ok here. It's a fairly clean break with the neck wood, and wood glue is known to be stronger than the wood itself. When I first saw the pics, I knew you could get a functional guitar out of it yourself, but you would end up with cosmetic issues with that black headstock.

Since the neck is either stained or dyed, you might want to think of something like this.

I don't have a huge number of Chinese guitars, but it's really weird how the pickups always suck, but so much of the rest is ok. I actually love good quality, but budget Chinese pickups like these. I'm always a fan of Wilkinson pickups but haven't ever tried their humbuckers.

I like to have cheap guitars around like this for alternate tunings or weird add on like this kill switch. Learn how to put a hole in a guitar with something you almost have to throw away.
DallasTeleAg
As for pickups, depends on the tone you are going for. I prefer vintage sounding/classic rock pickups. I have a set of Seymour Duncan Antiquities in my LP and they are never coming out. They have such a "woody" articulate sound. Granted, they're also in one of the best Les Paul Standards I've personally played.
TequilaMockingbird
dude95 said:

Since the neck is either stained or dyed, you might want to think of something like this.

I actually did this with a touchup pen I had laying around. It was for cherrywood but it was very close in colore.

As for pickups and such, I think I'm going to hold off on throwing any more money at this one until I get the replacement to see if it needs anything.
Mordred
AG
How much money did the guitar cost?
TequilaMockingbird
Mordred said:

How much money did the guitar cost?
About $290.00 delivered to my door.
Shakes the Clown

I bought this about 6 months ago from : https://harleybenton.com/product/st-90sa/

Plays like a charm. $215 delivered to my door from Germany. Arrived in 3 weeks. No problems.

Good luck with the Chicoms.
TequilaMockingbird
Shakes the Clown said:

I bought this about 6 months ago from : https://harleybenton.com/product/st-90sa/

Plays like a charm. $215 delivered to my door from Germany. Arrived in 3 weeks. No problems.

Good luck with the Chicoms.
I'd looked at their Goldtop LP type before. Looked pretty good, but with a Basswood body (soft wood) and flat 14" fretboard radius, it was a no-go for me.
DallasTeleAg
WHY DO WE HAVE TWO THREADS!?!?!
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
oh crap! now we have three..
DallasTeleAg
I hate you all....
TequilaMockingbird
I started this one because I was afraid of it turning into a Forum 16 style debate on CCP issues. I didn't want that to derail the other thread.
TequilaMockingbird
The replacement is due to be delivered Wednesday June 16th.

Meanwhile, one of the tuning keys came apart. I was able to superglue it together for a temporary fix. I have some Grovers laying around if I need to do a replacement.
TequilaMockingbird
Unfortunately this thread will be a cautionary tale.

Replacement arrived today, with the headstock broken worse than the first one was (may be UPS driver's). It splintered a couple of small pieces off, so it would require a lot more work than the first one to make it right. I'll be asking for a refund rather than replacement now. Unfortunately since I kept and repaired the first one, I'd be surprised if I get a full refund. Partial refund, maybe.
DallasTeleAg
TequilaMockingbird said:

Unfortunately this thread will be a cautionary tale.

Replacement arrived today, with the headstock broken worse than the first one was (may be UPS driver's). It splintered a couple of small pieces off, so it would require a lot more work than the first one to make it right. I'll be asking for a refund rather than replacement now. Unfortunately since I kept and repaired the first one, I'd be surprised if I get a full refund. Partial refund, maybe.

TequilaMockingbird
So, it appears I'm either going to get some kind of refund, or they're going to try one more time to get an intact guitar to me. I've told them if they try sending another one I insist they do a better job of packing, ie put it in a gig bag, put it in an actual box (instead of their simple styrofoam-and-shipping tape arrangement, etc. I've even mentioned I'd buy a case for it (should have to begin with).

Meanwhile, after repairing the headstock of the second guitar-which was not as bad off as I originally thought it would be- I've actually got a pair of playable "les Paul" Goldtops for around $350.00 spent. I feel pretty confident I could get a couple of hundred bucks for one of them. So if I don't get a full refund it's not a total disaster.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
They're not making you pay shipping on this one are they?
TequilaMockingbird
Shipping hasn't been mentioned, yet.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I definitely wouldn't spend another dime. Two showing up busted is firmly their fault.
TequilaMockingbird
No way. Like I said I'd be willing to buy a case at their price if necessary, but no more shipping.

I may have a guy wanting to buy the first one I got in. He's got better repair resources than I do and he thinks he can make the headstock look right cosmetically. We'll see.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.