Guitar players- I ordered a "CHibson"

7,741 Views | 73 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by dude95
TequilaMockingbird
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ethics be damned (thanks President Joe). I just ordered a Chinese made "Gibson" Les Paul knockoff, GoldTop w/ P90s. I've been curious about them for quite a while, and after seeing a Chibson Les Paul Supreme at the Dallas Guitar Show, and being impressed with the build quality I said what the heck.

I don't know if it will have the headstock logo on it or not. I would prefer it not. There wasn't a place on the order form to specify (some places let you put a custon logo on).

This thread will serve as a guide from my experiences, or perhaps a cautionary tale, who knows?
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
TequilaMockingbird said:

This thread will serve as a guide from my experiences, or perhaps a cautionary tale, who knows?

as someone with an epi gold top les paul, either way i'm in out of curiosity.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I've generally heard they're a mixed bag in terms of physical construction but that you pretty much should expect to replace all the hardware.
TequilaMockingbird
ruddyduck said:

TequilaMockingbird said:

as someone with an epi gold top les paul, either way i'm in out of curiosity.
If Epiphone puts out another Gold Top with P90s I'll probably be all over it.
TequilaMockingbird
Ranger #007 said:

I've generally heard they're a mixed bag in terms of physical construction but that you pretty much should expect to replace all the hardware.
If I can get one that is in good shape physically I don't mind changing out hardware.

I bought a Chinese made T-type thinline a few years back, and the pickups and pots were fine. I did wind up putting a Warmoth fat-V neck on it but the original neck was okay.
62strat
AG
If only we had a recent 'new guitar' thread that was pushing 500 replies to put this in.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
somebody needs to hurry up and buy a new guitar to give it some more life...
TequilaMockingbird
62strat said:

If only we had a recent 'new guitar' thread that was pushing 500 replies to put this in.
But this one involves ethics, politics, the US Customs office, etc. I thought it warranted its own thread.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
i feel a little dirty posting in this thread.

i like it.
DallasTeleAg
I'm not following two threads.
phatbc
F
TequilaMockingbird
I am extremely impatient, and that is what has kept me from ordering one of these until now. Currently, payment was cleared on 5-2-21, and it shows the order is processing but will be shipped out by 5-10-21. Meanwhile, if you go to the product page it shows the item no longer exists. Argh.....
TequilaMockingbird
I found a page with the original item

TequilaMockingbird
Woohoo! I finally got the shipping notice. It's on a slow boat from China, expected to be delivered June 6th (D-Day). I've read accounts of people getting their items earlier than expected. I hope I'm one of them.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Man. I check shipping progress like every ten minutes in stuff that's on two day shipping. I don't think I could handle almost a month shipping time.
62strat
AG
Ranger #007 said:

Man. I check shipping progress like every ten minutes in stuff that's on two day shipping. I don't think I could handle almost a month shipping time.
I have purchased plenty of stuff over the years at that shipping speed. EVERY time, it's a surprise when it shows up and I open it.
TequilaMockingbird
Ranger #007 said:

Me too. It now will take a couple of days to show up in the tracking system.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
That's the worst. I wish I could be the dude that just forgot about things until they showed up, but that's firmly not me.
TequilaMockingbird
S.F. Express has picked up the shipment!

I talked to a luthier I know today, and asked him about the taboo subject of "replica" Chibsons and Chenders. He said he's worked on some over the eyars and they've definitely improved dramatically as far as woodworking, fretwork, etc is concerned. Hardware and electronics are still dodgey. Pretty much what I've heard everywhere.
TequilaMockingbird
The latest tracking now shows May 26th.

TequilaMockingbird
It's on a plane to Los Angeles.

I wonder....if the Chinese are trying to copy "authentic" Gibson, will it arrive with a snapped headstock?
DallasTeleAg
Definitely possible. Not a QC issue for Gibson, more of a side effect of the design with the headstock break angle.

If they wanted to copy a modern gibson, they would need to have lots of file marks on the fretboard.
Garrelli 5000
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

Definitely possible. Not a QC issue for Gibson, more of a side effect of the design with the headstock break angle.

If they wanted to copy a modern gibson, they would need to have lots of file marks on the fretboard.
Ha - they're like the Harley Davidson of guitars.
TequilaMockingbird
In Ontario, Ca.
TequilaMockingbird
TequilaMockingbird said:

In Ontario, Ca.
Now in Albuquerque, NM. This thing may come even sooner than the 26th.
TequilaMockingbird

• Shipment in transit at US,TX,Odessa. Thanks for your waiting.

Oh boy! At this point it's unclear whether they bring it to my house or they hand it off to someone like UPS or FedEx or what. I've read so many different things about shipping from China, I just don't know.
TequilaMockingbird
I just received it. Headstock snapped clean off. It also has a trapeze tailpiece instead of a stop-tail.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
dang, man. that really sucks.
gggmann
AG
TequilaMockingbird said:

I just received it. Headstock snapped clean off. It also has a trapeze tailpiece instead of a stop-tail.
At least they copied the Gibson headstock correctly...
TequilaMockingbird
It's a shame because from what I can tell the fretwork looks very good. No sprout, high frets, etc.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
are you going to be able to get your money back?
TequilaMockingbird
ruddyduck said:

are you going to be able to get your money back?
I hope. I have read that a lot of times they'll refund the money (less shipping) and tell you to just keep it. If so, I'll take it to a guy and have it glued.
DallasTeleAg
I'm sorry man, but that made me laugh.
TequilaMockingbird
DallasTeleAg said:

I'm sorry man, but that made me laugh.
Me too, because I made a joke about it last week.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
That sucks. I was looking forward to hearing how it was.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.