Random movie/tv fun, stories, and factoids...

99,245 Views | 562 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Brian Earl Spilner
Complete Idiot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Look guys... said:

Complete Idiot said:

LoudestWHOOP! said:

A bit of history of James Doohan "Scottie from Star Trek"

2) On Juno Beach Doohan was hit 6 times by friendly fire, 4 in the leg, one took his right middle finger and the last bullet was stopped by a silver cigarette case in his breast pocket.

After looking at boobs for 5 minutes, i saw his missing finger.
There were many photo choices for the severed digit, but I consider myself a curator of content.
Carlo4
AG
SWC Ag said:

The scene in The Godfather when Michael marries Apollonia in Sicily and subsequently consummates his marriage....Pacino was 31 when they shot that scene. The actress playing Apollonia was 16.

Also, the famous horse head in the sheets scene....that was a real horsehead that Coppola acquired from a dog food company.
So many good ones on this movie.

The cat Marlon Brando had in the beginning of the movie was a stray cat. He picked it up and just went with it.

Also... when Brando was carried up the flight of stairs in the stretcher after being released from the hospital, he added 100 pounds of weight under the blanket to mess with the actors carrying him.

Carlo4
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

GiveEmHellBill said:

Steven Spielberg (after directing Jaws and Close Encounters), tried to convince Cubby Broccoli to let him direct a James Bond movie, but was rejected.....twice.

So, he and Lucas ended up creating Indiana Jones. Imagine if he had instead directed The Spy Who Loved Me and/or Moonraker.
My favorite part about this story is when Lucas told Spielberg that he had a "better idea" than Bond for him.

Imagine saying that...and actually being right!
I do love me some Indiana Jones... However... the crazy thing no one talks about is the timeline. Marion was 15 and Indiana Jones was 27 when they had their affair prior to the movie. I'm guessing that was an error in storytelling and someone said the wrong age... which i just researched and was corrected about 10 years ago. I did not know that...

Ulrich
I wonder if it has something to do with raising capital. I'd rather lend to a real estate entity that owns property and assets that it can then lease to multiple production companies. That de-risks my investment quite a bit vs lending directly to the production company.
TCTTS
AG
Claude!
Look guys... said:

Complete Idiot said:

LoudestWHOOP! said:

2) On Juno Beach Doohan was hit 6 times by friendly fire, 4 in the leg, one took his right middle finger and the last bullet was stopped by a silver cigarette case in his breast pocket.

You mean you didn't see his missing finger.
Seven Costanza
AG
TCTTS said:

Ha, I'll say exactly what I said then... I'm a grown ass man who doesn't have kids, who doesn't watch Disney cartoons, and hasn't seen 101 Dalmatians since the '80s, i.e. at least 30 years ago. I remember Cruella de Vil. I remember, like, a big ass mansion. I remember a sh*t-ton of Dalmatians (101, to be exact). That's literally it. Cruella's relationship to said Dalmatians was a foggy memory to me. I thought she either owned a sh*t-ton of Dalmatians, and someone was trying to free them, or she wanted a sh*t-ton of Dalmatians, because, maybe, she *really* liked them or something. The idea that a Disney cartoon centered around a human woman trying to KILL and SKIN said Dalmatians is something I still find utterly insane, and something I have zero recollection of.
I've never seen the movie and wasn't aware of the plot. If someone had asked me what it was about, I would have guessed "mean lady in a mansion owns a bunch of dalmatians and the dalmations hatch an escape plan".

"Lady schemes to steal dogs in order to skin them for a fur coat" would not have been in my top 1000 guesses.
TCTTS
AG
Complete Idiot
But, I mean her name is almost literally Cruel Devil. It's pretty damn dark.
Post removed:
by user
powerbelly
AG
third coast.. said:

Do we really have to have this WHOLE conversation again

At least three more times
Rudyjax
AG
powerbelly said:

third coast.. said:

I'd say 9 or 10 more.
Rudyjax
AG
Claude! said:

Look guys... said:

Complete Idiot said:

LoudestWHOOP! said:

You mean you didn't see his missing finger.

No. I saw he was missing a finger. I just shortened the phrase. You understood me.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Look guys... said:

powerbelly said:

third coast.. said:

I'd say 9 or 10 more.

101 times.
oragator
I've mentioned this before, but in the "strange juxtaposition" category:
The guy who played Little Enos in Smokey and the Bandit is Paul Williams. He is a songwriter who wrote:

Rainbow Connection
Just an old fashioned love song for three dog night
Rainy Days and Mondays Carpenters
We've only just begun Carpenters
You and me against the world Helen Reddy
The Love Boat theme

Among others.
Proposition Joe
LoudestWHOOP! said:

1) Landed on Juno Beach in Normandy on D-day
3) After he recovered, he learned to fly in the 666 (AOP) Squadron.
4) In early 1945, he flew his plane between two telegraph poles just to prove it could be done. He got into trouble for that, and everyone called him the "craziest pilot in the Canadian Air Force."
5) Doohan died in 2005. To honor him, a Falcon 9 rocket took some of his ashes into space.
agmag90
Proposition Joe said:

LoudestWHOOP! said:

1) Landed on Juno Beach in Normandy on D-day
3) After he recovered, he learned to fly in the 666 (AOP) Squadron.
4) In early 1945, he flew his plane between two telegraph poles just to prove it could be done. He got into trouble for that, and everyone called him the "craziest pilot in the Canadian Air Force."
5) Doohan died in 2005. To honor him, a Falcon 9 rocket took some of his ashes into space.

Yeah, well, that's impressive and all... But did Doohan ever survive an attack by his own car whilst checking his mail?

Weird thing to joke about. You're aware Yelchin didn't actually survive that, right?
TCTTS
AG
https://instagr.am/p/CNvBtxZnvR9
Proposition Joe
Too soon?
Fat Bib Fortuna
Proposition Joe said:

Too soon?
Not sure it's ever going to be soon enough for that one, why don't you edit it out?
Stive
AG
Brad Pitt....nicely done. Almost makes you wonder if Fincher and the cast got together and came up with a public message before the movie release?
OnlyForNow
AG
Did Eric Stolz film the whole movie and then they replaced him with MJF?

One of my favorite movies and I didn't know this?!
Another Doug
AG
OnlyForNow said:

Did Eric Stolz film the whole movie and then they replaced him with MJF?

One of my favorite movies and I didn't know this?!

Not the whole thing, but a bunch of it. MJF was first choice but couldn't fit the schedule. Stoltz didn't have the comedic talents they needed, so they reshot with MJF .
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It's such a well known story about that movie and yet Universal has never released a second of that footage. (I believe there's only a handful of stills of Stoltz as Marty that have ever been released.)

I'm hoping we may get that footage someday in some future 4K release...

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Another tidbit:

According to Tom Wilson (Biff), he is confident he never reshot this scene with MJF, meaning this is the only frame of the movie where Stoltz is actually in BTTF.

Complete Idiot
Brian Earl Spilner said:

It's such a well known story about that movie and yet Universal has never released a second of that footage. (I believe there's only a handful of stills of Stoltz as Marty that have ever been released.)

I'm hoping we may get that footage someday in some future 4K release...

There is footage on page one of this thread - I had only seen stills before as well.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
You're not wrong. And I misspoke.

Yeah there was that small bit of footage from the documentary, but I guess I meant standalone footage with audio and dialogue, not just those small clips in the doc.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Here's one I just learned.

At the end of Blade, when he says the following line:

I always thought this made no sense and had no context. Apparently that's because it didn't.

Wesley Snipes said that in a meeting, and writer David S Goyer liked it so much he wrote it down to put in the movie.

Snipes told him not to and that it wouldn't make sense, but he did anyway.
SJEAg
AG
Wonder if Stoltz get paid his (full) amount for holding up his end and doing the work.
MASAXET
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Here's one I just learned.

At the end of Blade, when he says the following line:

I always thought this made no sense and had no context. Apparently that's because it didn't.

Wesley Snipes said that in a meeting, and writer David S Goyer liked it so much he wrote it down to put in the movie.

Snipes told him not to and that it wouldn't make sense, but he did anyway.
That makes me so happy to learn because I've always loved that moment
oragator
The weird thing about the Landis. Murphy thing is that they worked together again on BHC3.
And you know Eddie had to have signed off on it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Oh me too. I love that line, nonsensical as it is.

Probably my favorite moment of the movie is when the cops start shooting at Blade in the hospital --

"Mother****er are you out of your damn mind?!"
MASAXET
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Oh me too. I love that line, nonsensical as it is.

Probably my favorite moment of the movie is when the cops start shooting at Blade in the hospital --

"Mother****er are you out of your damn mind?!"
Pahdz
Speaking of Wilson, his art is pretty cool, and if you have never heard it...

Proposition Joe
oragator said:

The weird thing about the Landis. Murphy thing is that they worked together again on BHC3.
And you know Eddie had to have signed off on it.

Have you seen BHC3? That was obviously in the "just cashing a paycheck" era for Murray. A guy with a banana in his tailpipe coulda been directing and he woulda done the film.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.