Random movie/tv fun, stories, and factoids...

99,262 Views | 562 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Brian Earl Spilner
gggmann
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A random one - Laurence Fishburne was only 14 when he began filming 'Apocalypse Now'. He lied about his age to get cast in the role.
TCTTS
AG
Ha, I'll say exactly what I said then... I'm a grown ass man who doesn't have kids, who doesn't watch Disney cartoons, and hasn't seen 101 Dalmatians since the '80s, i.e. at least 30 years ago. I remember Cruella de Vil. I remember, like, a big ass mansion. I remember a sh*t-ton of Dalmatians (101, to be exact). That's literally it. Cruella's relationship to said Dalmatians was a foggy memory to me. I thought she either owned a sh*t-ton of Dalmatians, and someone was trying to free them, or she wanted a sh*t-ton of Dalmatians, because, maybe, she *really* liked them or something. The idea that a Disney cartoon centered around a human woman trying to KILL and SKIN said Dalmatians is something I still find utterly insane, and something I have zero recollection of.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
If you've never heard Kevin Smith talk about his experience writing a treatment of "Superman Lives" for producer Jon Peters, you should. It's hilarious.

They cover the story in the documentary "The Death of Superman Lives: What Happened?" but there's a youtube video of it where he recounts it to a crowd that's really funny. He's great at telling these kinds of stories.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The a-ha moment when he mentions Wild Wild West ties that whole story together.
Rudyjax
AG
TCTTS said:

Ha, I'll say exactly what I said then... I'm a grown ass man who doesn't have kids, who doesn't watch Disney cartoons, and hasn't seen 101 Dalmatians since the '80s, i.e. at least 30 years ago. I remember Cruella de Vil. I remember, like, a big ass mansion. I remember a sh*t-ton of Dalmatians (101, to be exact). That's literally it. Cruella's relationship to said Dalmatians was a foggy memory to me. I thought she either owned a sh*t-ton of Dalmatians, and someone was trying to free them, or she wanted a sh*t-ton of Dalmatians, because, maybe, she *really* liked them or something. The idea that a Disney cartoon centered around a human woman trying to KILL and SKIN said Dalmatians is something I still find utterly insane, and something I have zero recollection of.
You're supposed to know everything about movies.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Amazing the difference cropping and color correction make.

AgfromHOU
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

TC didn't know this and now it's become a running joke that he'll never live down, it seems.

I love inside jokes. I hope to be part of one some day.
Fat Bib Fortuna
TCTTS said:

It's up there with Medusa going crazy with her shotgun in The Rescuers.

MGS
gggmann said:

A random one - Laurence Fishburne was only 14 when he began filming 'Apocalypse Now'. He lied about his age to get cast in the role.

In Apocalypse Now, Harrison Ford's character was named Col. G. Lucas.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Steven Spielberg (after directing Jaws and Close Encounters), tried to convince Cubby Broccoli to let him direct a James Bond movie, but was rejected.....twice.

So, he and Lucas ended up creating Indiana Jones. Imagine if he had instead directed The Spy Who Loved Me and/or Moonraker.
PatAg
AG
Netflix needs to start including the "Director's Commentary" version of every show/movie
YouBet
AG
TCTTS said:

Amazing...

This is ridiculous to the point of absurdity.
Carlo4
AG
gggmann said:

Same with Mila Kunis when she started on the 70s show. I think she was 15 and said she was 18 and no one caught her.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Spielberg's "solution" was absolute genius though.
Ulrich
YouBet said:

TCTTS said:

Amazing...

This is ridiculous to the point of absurdity.

"I don't want to make this sound like a genre film so let's give it a stock title from a 1950s sci-fi movie."
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
This is one of the better thread ideas for this board. Already one of my favorites.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The fascinating thing to me is that studios don't just build their own permanent housing for actors and makeup, but I read the comment with the explanation that film productions would have to rent from the studios either way.

Hollywood accounting can be pretty weird.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, it's all so weird. Like, say, a Lionsgate movie will film on the Warner Bros lot (because Lionsgate doesn't have its own studio lot), so I get the rental aspect there. But Warner Bros movies having to rent from Warner Bros on the Warner Bros lot makes no sense. I'm sure there's a reason, I just don't know what it is.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Completely unrelated to this thread but if/when I ever acquire an old (or new) Jeep Wagoneer, I'm absolutely going to pay for the custom license player PORTER.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

Steven Spielberg (after directing Jaws and Close Encounters), tried to convince Cubby Broccoli to let him direct a James Bond movie, but was rejected.....twice.

So, he and Lucas ended up creating Indiana Jones. Imagine if he had instead directed The Spy Who Loved Me and/or Moonraker.
My favorite part about this story is when Lucas told Spielberg that he had a "better idea" than Bond for him.

Imagine saying that...and actually being right!
Claude!
ChipFTAC01 said:

Completely unrelated to this thread but if/when I ever acquire an old (or new) Jeep Wagoneer, I'm absolutely going to pay for the custom license player PORTER.
It may be unrelated, but you gotta do that if you have the chance. It's the cold hard facts of life. Just to be safe, though - stay out of Carroll County to ensure that you make it back to the green, green grass of home with a satisfied mind.
Quad Dog
AG
In the heyday of Hollywood, they did have bungalows on studio backlots for bigger stars.
http://www.thestudiotour.com/wp/studios/universal-studios-hollywood/front-lot/production-bungalows/

I'm sure Warner Bros. renting trailers from a subsidiary of themselves is a tax dodge.

ChipFTAC01
AG
Well done

Complete Idiot
Gene Hackman initially owned the rights to Silence of the Lambs and intended to direct the movie and play the part of Hannibal Lecter.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
A bit of history of James Doohan "Scottie from Star Trek"
1) Landed on Juno Beach in Normandy on D-day
2) On Juno Beach Doohan was hit 6 times by friendly fire, 4 in the leg, one took his right middle finger and the last bullet was stopped by a silver cigarette case in his breast pocket.
3) After he recovered, he learned to fly in the 666 (AOP) Squadron.
4) In early 1945, he flew his plane between two telegraph poles just to prove it could be done. He got into trouble for that, and everyone called him the "craziest pilot in the Canadian Air Force."
5) Doohan died in 2005. To honor him, a Falcon 9 rocket took some of his ashes into space.
Complete Idiot
LoudestWHOOP! said:

2) On Juno Beach Doohan was hit 6 times by friendly fire, 4 in the leg, one took his right middle finger and the last bullet was stopped by a silver cigarette case in his breast pocket.

LoudestWHOOP!
AG
Complete Idiot said:

LoudestWHOOP! said:

Thanks, I was trying to think if I ever noticed it before.
ddugat
AG
I had no idea Stoltz was that involved. I was rewatching "Fringe" and saw Stoltz name on the (alternate universe) theater marquee showing "Back to the Future". I thought it was interesting... now I know better.
Rudyjax
AG
Complete Idiot said:

LoudestWHOOP! said:

After looking at boobs for 5 minutes, i saw his missing finger.
$3 Sack of Groceries
AG
The scene in The Godfather when Michael marries Apollonia in Sicily and subsequently consummates his marriage....Pacino was 31 when they shot that scene. The actress playing Apollonia was 16.

Also, the famous horse head in the sheets scene....that was a real horsehead that Coppola acquired from a dog food company.
FarmerJohn
AG
Sounds like a common business practice. Lets say you are a large company with many divisions in an office. You could have everyone in there for "free" but in making the divisions "rent" their office space, you have a more accurate cost of doing business for each division. You could also structure things to incentivize the correct activity.

Lets use the movies as an example. If you own a studio lot, you could charge your in-house group just the cost of operation and then lease the remaining space at some margin. This keeps operating costs for your in-house movie group low but still have some idea on how much this is costing and attach that cost to the movie. That would incentivize your in-house people to use your own studio and keep it producing, keeping a trained staff together and busy. Alternatively, you charge in-house and outside the same and maximize profit for the studio lot. If the in-house group can find a way to film for less, they can do so making them seek the most efficient way of producing a movie. The last, and dumbest, option is to force your in-house to pay the same rate as an outside studio and be forced to use your studio if available.
TCTTS
AG
Makes sense.
cbr
AG
Ag 11 said:

We could make whole thread talking about how badass Christopher Lee was
we kind of are....

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.