****Top Chef season 18******

7,795 Views | 120 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Tanya 93
pinkdog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Enjoyed the last episode. I liked the quick fire challenge that really tests the palate. I was thinking Maria would go soon. Dawn is very talented but sometimes the clock can get the better of her. Hard to say who a winner would be but I'm thinking Gabe or Shota.
YouBet
AG
StringerBell said:

Is dawn the Olympian?
Yes, Leroy Burrell's sister if you recall him.
StringerBell
AG
Yeah Dawn's time management is gonna kick her in the ass eventually

This is a shoda gabe event
Petrino1
Shota, Gabe, and Dawn are clearly the most talented of the group. Maria and the Asian girl just can't match their skill level. What sucks is Dawn is good enough to win the entire thing but she just sucks at time management.

Quick rant: I can't stand when the chefs cook the same thing over and over again, i.e. Maria cooking mexican food/mole the entire time. I get incorporating ingredients from your heritage into certain dishes like when Shota uses Japanese ingredients in his dishes. But these are the best chefs in the US, switch it up a little bit. Make some Italian food or something lol.
pinkdog
Just as I suspected. Dawns lack of time management almost cost her the top 3. That was a tough challenge with the cheese. I was worried about Shota being able to pull it off and then he knocked it out of the park. Winner could really be anyone but I'm thinking Gabe.
mpl35
AG
Dawn is only being kept in because she's a minority and they can cater to the SJW crowd. It's becoming more and more obvious. She's left items of dishes that would usually get her booted but nope. Instead we get to hear that she isn't getting the respect in her kitchens because she's a black woman.
TXAGFAN
AG
I can see why you may post this, but I think the older Asian judge on last episode is why she stayed.
Petrino1
mpl35 said:

Dawn is only being kept in because she's a minority and they can cater to the SJW crowd. It's becoming more and more obvious. She's left items of dishes that would usually get her booted but nope. Instead we get to hear that she isn't getting the respect in her kitchens because she's a black woman.

Im typically skeptical about the SJW bias, but it's pretty obvious Dawn is one of the best chefs this season. She's been at the top or near the top in almost every single challenge and quick fire elimination. She has the most quick fire elimination wins this season. She sucks at time management, but she is still one of the best chefs. That said, I don't think she wins this season.
Tanya 93
mpl35 said:

You have must not watched much of the entire series
mpl35
AG
Watched every episode multiple times
mpl35
AG
ea1060 said:

mpl35 said:

Im typically skeptical about the SJW bias, but it's pretty obvious Dawn is one of the best chefs this season. She's been at the top or near the top in almost every single challenge and quick fire elimination. She has the most quick fire elimination wins this season. She sucks at time management, but she is still one of the best chefs. That said, I don't think she wins this season.

Yes she's been good the second half after being mediocre early. But she's made several normally fatal mistakes that they have let her skate on. She cost the best Chef her spot by not committing to a dish.

Plus they have played up the Poor Dawn angle
fig96
AG
mpl35 said:

Considering every chef left is a minority that's a fascinating take.

She could have gone home this past round, but overall she's been a stronger competitor than Jamie and they both made mistakes. She cooks really good food and by pretty much all measures has been one of the best chefs in the competition.
mpl35
AG
You think so? All minorities aren't created equal. If you don't understand that you have ignored the last few years. Shota as an Asian American actually gets discriminated against thanks to affirmative action. Actual studies on the issue have been out there for years. Gabe is Hispanic which if you have been paying attention isn't a "race".

Dawn literally didn't serve complete dishes. She should have been sent home. But this year she won't. She will win.

There have been plenty of great minority chefs on the show in past. I've actually been to some of their restaurants as a fan of the show.

But this year it's appeared that they have had a finger on the scales.
fig96
AG
I am familiar with people being treated differently, thanks. And I never said anyone was of any "race", and said all the remaining chefs were minorities which they in fact are. But appreciate the condescending comments.

As others and myself have mentioned, Dawn has been one of the best chefs on the show no matter what mistakes she's made. And every season has decisions that could go either way. You're looking for confirmation of a bias that isn't there
Tanya 93
mpl35 said:

then you do not understand the show

This is not a SJW thing
But keep looking for racism
We get it

I do believe that she should have been sent home earlier.
But her flavors win the judges over.

That is the reality
mpl35
AG
Tanya 93 said:

mpl35 said:

This is not a SJW thing
We get it

That is the reality

I'm pretty sure I get the show. Watched it for 18 seasons have met some of the contestants before.

This season has 100% jumped on the social justice and equity bandwagon to the detriment of fair competition
mpl35
AG
fig96 said:

I am familiar with people being treated differently, thanks. And I never said anyone was of any "race", and said all the remaining chefs were minorities which they in fact are. But appreciate the condescending comments.

As others and myself have mentioned, Dawn has been one of the best chefs on the show no matter what mistakes she's made. And every season has decisions that could go either way. You're looking for confirmation of a bias that isn't there
you tried to act like it wasn't biased because they were all minorities. That's garbage if you have listened to the narrative this season. Dawn shouldn't have ever had a chance to be one of the best. She was kept in by the producers early in the show for their narrative.
StringerBell
AG
this sounds like utter ****ing nonsense

She's got the most quickfire wins and has 4 total wins which ties with shoda for the most

The best chefs on this season have been gabe shoda and dawn

Take your political paranoia elsewhere
fig96
AG
mpl35 said:

fig96 said:

you tried to act like it wasn't biased because they were all minorities. That's garbage if you have listened to the narrative this season. Dawn shouldn't have ever had a chance to be one of the best. She was kept in by the producers early in the show for their narrative.
Ah, I forgot that when someone disagrees with you it's ok to be an ass and act like they're stupid. My bad.

We're talking about a tv show dude, lighten up. I'm done with the conversation.
fig96
AG
TXAGFAN said:

I can see why you may post this, but I think the older Asian judge on last episode is why she stayed.
For the record that was Ed Lee, who I actually didn't recognize at first without his facial hair

He's awesome though, his books are fantastic and loved him on his season.
Petrino1
mpl35 said:

Tanya 93 said:

mpl35 said:

This is not a SJW thing
We get it

That is the reality

I'm pretty sure I get the show. Watched it for 18 seasons have met some of the contestants before.

This season has 100% jumped on the social justice and equity bandwagon to the detriment of fair competition

I get what you're saying, but Dawn brought up the race thing once and that was the last episode. Not like she keeps bringing it up and using it as an excuse. In fact I feel like they bring up the fact that she was an Olympian more.

Maria kept playing the "I'm a Poor woman from Mexico" card and they still sent her home. I really don't think that they're keeping dawn in just because Shes black. Everytime Shes served an incomplete dish, someone else made an even worse dish. I think she goes home next episode because Gabe and Shota are good with time management and always serve good dishes.
StringerBell
AG
Right decision by the judges
Petrino1
StringerBell said:

Right decision by the judges

I wonder if that was going to be their decision the entire time even if it wasn't so close. I'm glad Dawn made it, but damn I can't believe she made it this far being so careless with time.
StringerBell
AG
I think all three of them ****ed up in one way but served an elite dish in another so it was kind of impossible to pick a true loser
Petrino1
StringerBell said:

I think all three of them ****ed up in one way but served an elite dish in another so it was kind of impossible to pick a true loser
True every single one made a mistake with one of their dishes.

Who do you think will win the finale? Gabe and Shota are the front runners, but if Dawn is on her A game and time conscious, she is a serious threat. The judges seem to really like her food.

My money is on Shota winning.
fig96
AG
Agreed, I think Shota is peaking at just the right time.

Any one of them could win it though, the judges do love Dawn's cooking and Gabe has been killing it all season.

One other thing I've enjoyed this season is the genuine love they seem to have for each other. Everyone is still really competitive, but they all truly care about one another and we're missing a lot of the pettiness of past seasons.
JCRiley09
AG
Just found this discussion. Been watching the show all season.

IMO, Dawn has been written and edited as an underdog all season long. She's clearly putting out some damn good food though, but I feel like it's hard to appreciate it due to the way her story has been told by the writers/producers.

Gabe is my favorite, but I wonder if he can get away with making 4 moles in the finale (only halfway joking).

Shota has the most to offer. All of his food is art and he's shown that he can really branch away from Japanese cuisine while still keeping his signature touches on the dish.

If they rank the final 3, my guess is

3. Gabe
2. Dawn
1. Shota
Petrino1
fig96 said:

One other thing I've enjoyed this season is the genuine love they seem to have for each other. Everyone is still really competitive, but they all truly care about one another and we're missing a lot of the pettiness of past seasons.

Totally agree. They all seem to really get along and there is a genuine friendship. It's neat to see the love they have for reach other. Never seen a group so close before from past seasons. Jamie trying to volunteer herself and sticking up for Maria was an awesome moment.
Petrino1
JCRiley09 said:

Just found this discussion. Been watching the show all season.

IMO, Dawn has been written and edited as an underdog all season long. She's clearly putting out some damn good food though, but I feel like it's hard to appreciate it due to the way her story has been told by the writers/producers.

Gabe is my favorite, but I wonder if he can get away with making 4 moles in the finale (only halfway joking).

Shota has the most to offer. All of his food is art and he's shown that he can really branch away from Japanese cuisine while still keeping his signature touches on the dish.

If they rank the final 3, my guess is

3. Gabe
2. Dawn
1. Shota

I think some of it has to do with Dawn's personality. She seems very introverted, shy, doesn't have a big personality like some of the others. Maybe she's camera shy or something but she doesn't shine on camera.

If Gabe makes another mole I'm going to turn off the tv lol. Although he is a master at sauces and has shown serious technique with a lot of his dishes.

Agree about Shota. You can tell his confidence is at an all time high and the past few episodes he has killed it. He's finally hit his groove and he peaked at the perfect time.

StringerBell
AG
i think it's shota's to win. would be a huge upset for gabe to pull it off.

ill tell you want though i yelled at my damn tv when dawn didn't get the ****ing potatoes on the plate. just come the **** on man. quit sabotaging yourself.
Petrino1
StringerBell said:

i think it's shota's to win. would be a huge upset for gabe to pull it off.

ill tell you want though i yelled at my damn tv when dawn didn't get the ****ing potatoes on the plate. just come the **** on man. quit sabotaging yourself.
I dont know about huge upset, because Gabe has done really really well this season. he finishes at the top, or near the top, for most of the challenges.

I did the same thing with Dawn. You could tell the judges were annoyed too, like again Dawn?? The crazy thing is shes still able to produce awesome dishes even when they're missing critical components.
JCA1
AG
Right now, I would take Shota against the field. Of course, I said the same thing about Richard Blais about a decade ago.
StringerBell
AG
what's interesting is the critiques she got. gregory told her that if she's having trouble getting everything on her plate then perhaps she needs to edit and put fewer things on the plate--and that was confirmed by them saying that she didn't need the garnish on her first course.

but then the second one she didn't get the potatoes on there.

this sounds silly but you'd think as a former track athlete she'd be better at doing things faster/keeping an eye on the clock
Petrino1
StringerBell said:

this sounds silly but you'd think as a former track athlete she'd be better at doing things faster/keeping an eye on the clock
I was thinking the same thing. Not just a track star but a former Olympian. You would think she has the discipline and fortitude from all the Olympics training that would help her with cooking under time constraints.

Its nice watching Shota cook. You can tell every single thing is thought out ahead of time, and he has a certain method of doing things.
toucan82
Wtf Dawn?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.