Sneaker Thread

923,977 Views | 14427 Replies | Last: 23 min ago by BowSowy
Post removed:
by user
MW03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
third coast.. said:

Thats fair, but inwas more talking in generalities about regular vs secondary market. Back in my hardcore punk rock days when records were all the rage, people got pissed at those that made a mint off of flipping records. Same with bourbon as you alluded to. Just find it interesting that it is the same every time.

Yeah for sure. I think we might be pretty similar, cause I spent more than my share of time trying to track down live bootlegs at various record stores. Finally find the one you want, and it's $80 for a 12 track mix. Brutal times.

As for booze, I'm just glad you can't buy direct, because it would be impossible to get anything. At least there's a chance you can get lucky on a road trip for bourbon.

Anyway, my frustration with sneakers is that it's not a cottage industry. With music, maybe there's limited interest in a style or band, so there are fewer pressings. Or it's a live show and it's hard to track down a copy. With bourbon, maybe it's a particular batch or barrel, or the fact that it's been aged a specific time or whatever.

With shoes, they'll do a limited run that's actually limited. Like the Ben & Jerry chunky dunks. Okay, a one-off, niche product. I get that. But there's no reason generic dunks should be raffle only.

Of course, who knows if me or anyone else would be that interested in rereleases if they weren't at least marginally hard to come by. I'm sure Nike execs are probably sitting there thinking that before Stockx and the like, they had these relreleases sitting in outlet stores. That used to be where you could find AJ1 mids.
concac
AG
StringerBell said:

it's an odd situation...but nike definitely shoulders some blame in this. they dropped these shoes as a limited release. if you call it a limited release and only drop a few pairs of course the resellers are gonna get a boner and try and make some cash off of them.

i dont really blame resellers. its totally a valid critique that nike used disability to drum up hype for the shoes, and then didnt really deliver them in an accessible way.
Thing is, Nike never came out and said Flyease was created and intended for disabled people (everybody knows that's who they had in mind). It was marketed as shoes for every "athlete". Probably branded it that way so they wouldn't exclude a big portion of their consumers. To be frank, nobody wants to wear a shoe that was made specifically for the disabled.
StringerBell
AG
that's not exactly true. when they first started it they were pretty clear that the flyease line was intended to help folks with disabilities

https://news.nike.com/news/the-flyease-journey

Quote:

Over the years, renowned Nike designer Tobie Hatfield has been involved in a number of projects that address these insights. One project that was on his radar for over three years was an entry-and-closure system for athletes who have trouble getting in and out of shoes, and securing them. While developing samples for a few of these individuals, Hatfield remained determined that the system be scalable for mass production. Enter inspiration Matthew Walzer.

and i dont think people really care about wearing a shoe designed for disabled people. if it's got hype then they'll wear them and these days if its a limited release then it's gonna have hype.
cjo03
AG
StringerBell said:

that's not exactly true. when they first started it they were pretty clear that the flyease line was intended to help folks with disabilities

https://news.nike.com/news/the-flyease-journey

Quote:

Over the years, renowned Nike designer Tobie Hatfield has been involved in a number of projects that address these insights. One project that was on his radar for over three years was an entry-and-closure system for athletes who have trouble getting in and out of shoes, and securing them. While developing samples for a few of these individuals, Hatfield remained determined that the system be scalable for mass production. Enter inspiration Matthew Walzer.

and i dont think people really care about wearing a shoe designed for disabled people. if it's got hype then they'll wear them and these days if its a limited release then it's gonna have hype.

these go flyease were also originally designed for the "adaptive athlete"... interesting video on the creation. nike's whole mantra is 'if you have a body you're an athlete'

doesn't really address the limited release approach topic here
concac
AG
Maybe so back then but they're for sure not marketed that way right now.
StringerBell
AG
that video is a good example of how universal design principles end up serving everyone and should probably be used more!
cjo03
AG
StringerBell said:

that video is a good example of how universal design principles end up serving everyone and should probably be used more!

amen! and not just for shoes. or apparel. or things.
Broncos
That "not selected" notification from SNKRS is always fun.
concac
AG
Release date of May 15th.

https://www.nike.com/launch/t/air-jordan-high-shadow-20

MW03
AG
Definitely in on these. Best looking OG release in a while to me.
russaggie
AG
Just found out I was drawn for the 11 Low White/Legend Blues coming out Friday.
MBAR
AG
RealTalk said:

Release date of May 15th.

https://www.nike.com/launch/t/air-jordan-high-shadow-20

Omg these I need
Post removed:
by user
MW03
AG
Took 6 Ls this morning on the J11 legend lows. 6.
Broncos
MW03 said:

Took 6 Ls this morning on the J11 legend lows. 6.

3 L's. SNKRS is fun.
Broncos
The SNKRS app.

You can also look at https://houseofheat.co/releases
jeffk
AG
adidas does drops on their app similarly to what Nike does on SNKR.
MW03
AG

I had to do it.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
no going to liethose look like some shoes my grandma bought me at buster browns shoe store way back in the day.
MW03
AG
Oh 100%
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
awesome.

also just realized texags apparently won't let you use ellipses anymore for some reason
Old School Brother
AG
my new golf shoes are awesome. i'm sure i'm too old to be wearing them, but i don't care.

jeffk
AG
Those are incredible.
MW03
AG
Man, I love the way they did the mid soles on those. Very clutch.
Old School Brother
AG
jeffk said:

Those are incredible.
i also have these, but i like the new ones better.

CoppellAg93
AG
Because of this thread, I had to go in search of what is still my favorite shoe that I've ever had - wore these during my last year or two at A&M ....

I was a hoops god with these on.
J182
AG
My BIL and SIL were able to snag these for me (Bad Bunny Forum - Easter Egg Shoes). We are all big Bad Bunny fans, so these were a must have. They all got the glow-in-the-dark BB Crocs (again big BB fans). They said they are gonna snag The First Caf Shoes when they can find size 12s.

These are super comfortable and just a fun, ridiculous shoe.

👽
Broncos
I feel it, I'll finally be selected in a SNKRS draw today for the AJKO 1s.
Broncos
I have the old model in black and teal. I love them except for that hard plastic piece that always destroys the back of my ankle.
CFTXAG10
AG
Broncos said:

**** it. I went in too. Hoping for the best. Got a notification set for Saturday's release too. I'd gladly take 1/2.
Broncos
CFTXAG10 said:

Broncos said:

**** it. I went in too. Hoping for the best. Got a notification set for Saturday's release too. I'd gladly take 1/2.
I was feeling something else. I went 0/2.
CFTXAG10
AG
Same. Oh well, I know I don't need more shoes but I will keep entering.
Broncos
Same. It's a blessing and a curse that draws are so hard to be selected for.
jeffk
AG
L here
First Page Last Page
Page 10 of 413

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.