2021 Books Read

42,010 Views | 382 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by 13B
Buzzy
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Just finished Panic before beginning the first season on Amazon Prime. It's okay.
rynning
AG
Jinx said:

• The Way of Kings (Stormlight Archive, Book One) by Brandon Sanderson
  • The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
  • The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring
  • Words of Radiance (Stormlight Archive, Book Two)
  • Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus by Christopher Perkins (D&D)
  • Oathbringer (Stormlight Archive, Book Three)
  • Watership Down

I read Watership Down for the first time a few years ago. So much more than talking bunnies! Didn't know until today that it was rejected 7 times before being published as a "risk."
Austin Ag
AG
There are not a lot of good sci-fi books. Let me know of any recommendations. For now. Starting:
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Austin Ag said:

There are not a lot of good sci-fi books. Let me know of any recommendations. For now. Starting:

If you haven't read The Expanse series, I highly recommend.
MaroonStain
AG
Buzzy said:

Just finished Panic before beginning the first season on Amazon Prime. It's okay.

So is the show...
Chipotlemonger
AG
Cool. How does it compare to The Martian?
Buzzy
MaroonStain said:

Buzzy said:

So is the show...
On the plus side, they call t.u. "Longhorn State Community College"
Buzzy
MaroonStain said:

Buzzy said:

So is the show...
Just finished the first season, actually liked it better than the book.

I like the twist at the end, so we can have a second season.
Azariah
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

Hail Mary is better than the Martian. It's incredible. I can't recommend it enough.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Azariah said:

Chipotlemonger said:

Hail Mary is better than the Martian. It's incredible. I can't recommend it enough.

High praise! I am going to need to take a look!
Unemployed
AG
Azariah said:

Chipotlemonger said:

I think the opposite. Hail Mary is good but not as good as the Martian.

Still worth the read, though.
Austin Ag
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

Very comparable. Same style (a scientist that has to solve problems on his own).
mrsbeer05
AG
Started Hail Mary the other day and am really enjoying it.
OKCAG02
AG
Hail Mary is awesome, full of science, funny, and even feel-good.

I liked it just as much if not more than the Martian.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Through book 8 of Wheel of Time. I heard the series drags in the middle, and I tend to agree. When does it start picking back up? Once Sanderson took over? Starting Book 9 now.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I really can't remember how 9 through 11 specifically shape up on their own. What I can definitely say though, is that everything 12 onwards is excellent (Sanderson co-author).

I would definitely recommend still reading them all...the final few books payoff is awesome. And there are likely some scenes and chapters in those 9 through 11 books that are definitely good. It's just been a while so I can't point them out on the fly. I seem to remember liking a lot of Mat's later on storyline, but don't remember the timeline for it among all of those books.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Oh yeah, I still plan on reading all of them. The pace in the middle and who he chooses to spend the majority of the time on in the middle books is frustrating. I get that he wanted to flesh out every single culture, but I'm 8 books in and I still don't really know the full extent of Matt or Perrin's powers and why they have them, other than they grew up close to Rand. Rand going full Zeus with Callandor in the last book was pretty sweet though.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Oh yea you get way more of Mat's story and reasoning if I remember right. And Perrin's too for that matter eventually.

Would love to do a full series re-read one day. Have a lot of other things to read though and just not sure if I would ever do cover to cover for all 14. I could see reading the first half dozen or so cover to cover. Then reading some on tor.com. (They have a great 'paraphrase' writeup that was done in advance of the final 3 books). Then jumping back in cover to cover on book 12.
StringerBell
AG
Finished the premonition by Michael Lewis

Picked up interpreter of maladies and started project Hail Mary
13B
When you find it starts to drag, try audio version, helps me.
Buzzy
Quote:

Finished the premonition by Michael Lewis
verdict?
StringerBell
AG
good read. i really appreciate the context behind the pandemic response dating back to W reading about the 1918 Spanish flu and freaking out about it in 06, and putting together a team to think of solutions.

solid read. seemed pretty unbiased too.
Silky Johnston
I actually finished a book for the first time in a couple of years. Just read Sphere by Crichton.

Downloaded Hunt for Red October and just started it.
dc509
AG
Champ Bailey said:

Through book 8 of Wheel of Time. I heard the series drags in the middle, and I tend to agree. When does it start picking back up? Once Sanderson took over? Starting Book 9 now.

The middle books are a little bit slow, but once you get past them they make sense in regard to the whole picture. It's a series worth finishing.
rynning
AG
Silky Johnston said:

I actually finished a book for the first time in a couple of years. Just read Sphere by Crichton.

The book that made Clancy famous thanks to Reagan. One of my favorites. Let us know if it still holds up!
awinlonghorn
Has anyone read the Greg Iles penn cage series? Just finished Mississippi blood. Whole series was good.

Others like it you recommend?

Finished:

Red Notice
Bill Gates - Sustainability book
Billion Dollar Whale
No Rules - book by Netflix ceo
The Price We Pay - about our healthcare system and why it's so messed up
Sea Stories by Adm Mcraven
Bigfootisreal
Yes, I liked that series. Was a little far out but read very well. Loved the JFK stuff! Would be interested for other series like that as well.
AgGrad99
AG
Im currently reading The Terminal List

Couple questions:
Has anyone read the rest of the series? Are they as good as the first book (I'm really enjoying it).
Anyone know when the TV series comes out on Amazon? I dont want to miss this one.
AZAG08
AG
AgGrad99 said:

Im currently reading The Terminal List

Couple questions:
Has anyone read the rest of the series? Are they as good as the first book (I'm really enjoying it).
Anyone know when the TV series comes out on Amazon? I dont want to miss this one.

Ive read them all and I think they are all as good and continue to build on each other
AgGrad99
AG
Cool. Thanks
SquirrellyDan
AG
Silky Johnston said:

Sphere is one of my all time favorites. I read it as a kid and the part where they first start communicating with the sphere was probably what kept me interested in books. I've read that book 10 times or more. I wish Crichton was still around.
Boomhauer89
AG
I agree it's a great series, the third was probably my least favorite but they are all solid.
mrsbeer05
AG
I am loving Hail Mary and think Rocky is just adorable.
13B
"Rhythm of War": Brandon Sanderson A-
Is there any real value to the fabrial tutorials before each chapter?
as others have stated, the mental health part got a little old but many of the storylines developed much further
"New Spring" Robert Jordan: B+/A-
David Gemmel's Troy series: A (I actually read this trilogy years ago but figured I'd mention it here because I assume, like me, people look here for book ideas.)
"Malazan: Gardens of the Moon": Steven Erikson: B-
Holy crap! This book makes me feel dumb! I'm 3 chapters in and there is so much going on that it takes delving into Malzan Wiki to explain to me what I just read. Way too many characters, places and things introduced for me to process. Do I stick it out because it will get better or cut my losses?
I stuck it out, still confusing. Hard to tell who are good guys and who are bad guys and soooooo many characters, places, species and world specific words. It became a little clearer toward the end but still.
"Masters of the Air": Donald L. Miller: B+ ( I read this because it is supposed to be the basis of a third mini-series following "Band of Brothers" and "The Pacific"; it covers the daylight bombing campaign of the 8th AF during WWII; some pretty amazing stories but seemed to jump around quite a bit and was more air warfare philosophy driven than story driven.)
"Firefly: Big Damn Hero" : James Lovegrove: A- (Only thing better would've been if Nathan Fillion had been the narrator)
"Sidekick:Raptor Book 1" Jaime Castle/C.J. Valin : B (Audible Original YA I think)
"Dusty's Diary" : Bobby Adair : A
"Bound No More" : Faith Hunter : B
"Malazan: Deadhouse Gates" : Steven Erikson: B-
Still struggling to figure out who is who and they just keep piling on new characters and killing off established characters that I like. I might give it one more chance on the next book in the series but DANG!
"Off the Grid--Jane Yellowrock" (Audible) : Faith Hunter: C
"Bound No More--Jane Yellowrock" (Audible) : Faith Hunter: C
"Kings of the Wyld" : Nicholas Eames : A (Thanks Eliminatus for the referral on this one)
Tabasco
AG
Thanks for posting. I loved Bobby Adair's Slow Burn series, and when I saw that name, I thought "oh hell no!" Will check that out.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.