2021 Books Read

42,035 Views | 382 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by 13B
AgGrad99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Dont know if you can answer this without spoilers....but in the 3rd Hunger Games book, the capitol fell. But the summaries I've read of the 4th book, suggest the games continue? Is this explained in the book? The fact that the game continue almost seems to take away from the first three books
YouBet
AG
Champ Bailey said:

YouBet said:

Completed
Persepolis Rising (The Expanse, #7) - James S.A. Corey

Great book in arguably the best sci-fi series running right now. Was surprised to see the time lapse between book 6 and this one. Going to finish out a non-fiction book and then binge some Dresden Files.

Book 8 is even better IMO. You watching the show?
Somehow haven't watched it yet. It's on my list though.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Electrical_Ag said:

Started up Master and Commander right after Christmas. I really slacked off in 2020 on my reading, but picked up a daily crossword habit, plus started a re-watch of Scrubs, so those ate into my reading time.
Ive read all 24 O'brian Aubrey Maturin novels- you will be hooked .

Just finished " Legacy of Spies " LeCarre - interesting but a tough read .
BigJim49AustinnowDallas
The Dog Lord
AG
AgGrad99 said:

Dont know if you can answer this without spoilers....but in the 3rd Hunger Games book, the capitol fell. But the summaries I've read of the 4th book, suggest the games continue? Is this explained in the book? The fact that the game continue almost seems to take away from the first three books

The new one is a prequel.
Post removed:
by user
YouBet
AG
Completed

Billion Dollar Whale: The Man Who Fooled Wall Street, Hollywood and the World

If you like true crime stories and especially white collar crime this book is an absolutely incredible read. It's almost unbelievable that this could happen, frankly. A Malaysian grifter pulls off the biggest heist(s) in history. Complete with A list Hollywood stars and musicians, Presidents, real world stuff you probably had no idea was related to this.

If you happened to have seen an article recently about Goldman Sachs paying a massive fine about a deal with 1MDB this is that story. This is a must read if you like this genre. This almost has to be made into a movie. Would be incredible if certain actors played themselves. Lol.
Post removed:
by user
AgGrad99
AG
Ah. Gotcha. Thanks.

The Amazon summary says it takes place 10 years later. A prequel makes more sense.
Post removed:
by user
YouBet
AG
third coast.. said:

Man, I just read up on the 1MDB thing and these guys are just throwing around billions, and it takes people like you and I months and mountains of supporting documents just to get a few hundred grand mortgage. Ugh.
Yes, it's pretty sickening. Goldman Sachs is fairly evil in my eyes especially with this happening on the heels of the housing recession. Jho Loh is the the most infamous grifter of all time though. What this relative nobody was able to do is simply unreal. You need to read this to appreciate the sheer audacity of what this guy was able to pull off.
Post removed:
by user
AgGrad99
AG
Thanks for the suggestion. I've ordered that one up.
heddleston
AG
Half a King by Joe Abercrombie. It was fine, fast read with lots of stabbing and what have you. Was expecting more magic, but that didn't hurt it in my eyes either. I'll go ahead with the trilogy.
78_Pacecar
AG
By reading, I do audiobooks:

The Bobiverse books by Dennis Taylor: We are Legion, For we are many, All these worlds

Started the Stormlight Archive books
Boomhauer89
AG
I am listening to Last Looks by Howard Michael Gould (I drive a lot for work). I am about half way through and like it so far. it is about an ex-LAPD detective that lives a minimalist life and is brought out of his self imposed exile to investigate the murder of a movie stars wife.
YouBet
AG
third coast.. said:

Just started this and it is incredibly good. Hope to finish it tomorrow.

Added to list.
Stumpknocker
- A gentleman in Moscow.

- The Cormoran Strike series by Robert Galbraith (aka JK Rowling)

The best audio narrations I have run across by far...
Diggity
AG
Great book. Definitely one of those "stranger than fiction" stories.

Miranda Kerr can never deny being a gold digger after dating that crooked slob and following him up with Snapchat boy.
Aggies76
AG
jkag89 said:

• News of the World by Paulette Jiles

Loved this book.
Diggity
AG
the Strike books are good.

The Robin backstory gets tedious as the books go along, but I get that Rowling is trying to add a female POV.

The stories themselves are good and London always makes a great backdrop.
Diggity
AG
downloaded this because of your rec and am loving it so far. I'm a sucker for LA books and detective novels, so it's right down my alley.

Must have gotten about 25% through last night, so it's your fault I'm tired today!
YouBet
AG
Diggity said:

Miranda Kerr can never deny being a gold digger after dating that crooked slob and following him up with Snapchat boy.
No kidding!
Boomhauer89
AG
Glad you are liking it! I see they are actually making it a movie, Charlie Hunnam will be Waldo and Mel Gibson is Alistar. It will be interesting I think it will translate well to the big screen.
rw1987
AG
I really liked Empire of the Summer Moon. If you like that, read "The Son"
Claude!
Diggity said:

For my part, I ain't saying she's a gold digger, but it seems does does prefer relationships with wealthy men.
BEaggie08
AG
Reading The Mirage. I'm about a third of the way through it. The concept, so far, flips the roles of Western world and the Palestinian world, 9/11 happened the other way around etc. etc. - but is it all a mirage? That's the premise. Pretty neat, though some of the "flips" are a little too contrived.
13B
"Rhythm of War": Brandon Sanderson A-
Is there any real value to the fabrial tutorials before each chapter?
as others have stated, the mental health part got a little old but many of the storylines developed much further
"New Spring" Robert Jordan: B+/A-
David Gemmel's Troy series: A (I actually read this trilogy years ago but figured I'd mention it here because I assume, like me, people look here for book ideas.)
starting the Malazan: Gardens of the Moon: Steven Erikson
Holy crap! This book makes me feel dumb! I'm 3 chapters in and there is so much going on that it takes delving into Malzan Wiki to explain to me what I just read. Way too many characters, places and things introduced for me to process. Do I stick it out because it will get better or cut my losses?
Post removed:
by user
Jim01
AG
The 4th book is a prequel, telling the story of a young Coriolanus Snow (the president in the original trilogy)
dc509
AG
13B said:

Began "Rhythm of War": Brandon Sanderson
Is there any real value to the fabrial tutorials before each chapter?
I think there will be eventually.
dc509
AG
"16 Ways to Defend a Walled City" -KJ Parker

I appreciate the sense of humor. This might not be for everyone, but I enjoyed it.
YouBet
AG
Completed
Billion Dollar Whale: The Man Who Fooled Wall Street, Hollywood and the World

A Little Hatred (The Age of Madness #1) - Joe Abercrombie

This is the first book in Abercrombie's latest trilogy set in his First Law world. Another great book by him with a few characters carried forward from previous books although this one takes place about 30 years after the his last series.

These are dark fantasy or grim dark genre. Very light on magic. This one is interesting because the Industrial Age is starting at this point in his world and all of the class warfare that goes along with it. Characters are fantastic as usual full of wit, dark humor, and tragedy.

Love these books but you really need to read all of these in order because there is an overarching thread and timeline to all of them.

The second book is out but I'm going to dive off into some Dresden Files going forward.
mrsbeer05
AG
Book #1 of 2021:
The Duke and I by Julia Quinn Book #1 of The Bridgertons

Less drama than the Netflix show. A cute book for my commute.

7/10
Diggity
AG
wrapped up the first book and started the second.

The "case" itself ended up being pretty absurd, but I liked the characters so much, I didn't really care.

Definitely has an Elmore Leonard vibe.
gigemags87
AG
*Finished in '21*
Dune
Perennial Seller
The Junction Boys
To Sleep in a Sea of Stars

*Reading*
Eat a Peach

*Considering*
Dirt
Heat
Looking for more sci-fi
Waiting for Bill Gates climate book

*Recommended from last year*
Murderbot series
Time Salvager series
Exhalation
Bitter Brew
Winter World Series
Red Rising series

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.