2021 Books Read

42,000 Views | 382 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by 13B
jkag89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
  • News of the World by Paulette Jiles
  • The Complete Calvin and Hobbes Book One by Bill Watterson
AG
Just finished Pa*****o. (Wow Texags sensors are strong - Pachin ko)

Would recommend. Tells the multi-generation story of a Korean family living through colonization all the way up to the 90s and living in Japan.
Boomhauer89
AG
Agreed, I don't think, I would have guessed the real killer in a million years. I started the second book as well. I am about half way through and like how he is bringing everything together, maybe the author is hitting his mystery stride.

I will have to check out Elmore Leonard thanks for the recomendation!
RDV-1992
I'm reading the Powder Mage books. On the second right now. Pretty good.
Longhorn Nation
1. A Minute to Midnight by David Baldacci
2. Envy the Night by Michael Koryta

I normally love Baldacci books, but this one was a struggle. I think he's pumping them out too fast now and the writing is suffering a bit. (It won't prevent me from continuing to read him.) I read a couple of Koryta novels last year and I like his writing style. This was a short book (< 300 pages) and his first . . . thumbs up.
Maveric
AG
Blood of the Elves (Witcher #1)
Strange Dogs (Expanse 6.5)
The Time of Contempt (Witcher #2)
Baptism of Fire (Witcher #3)
The Lost Hero (Heroes of Olympus #1)
The Tower of the Swallow (Witcher #4)
Lady of the Lake (Witcher #5)
Tiamat's Wrath (Expanse #8)
AgGrad99
AG
Personal Memoirs of Ulysses S. Grant.

(it's amazing how similar the world was back then...the more things change, the more they stay the same)
AgGrad99
AG
YouBet said:

Billion Dollar Whale: The Man Who Fooled Wall Street, Hollywood and the World
Holy Smokes.

I'm about 1/3 through this book and can't believe what Im reading. I cant even wrap my head around how a 20 something kid can figure out how to do any of this. How is any of this possible?

This story is crazy.
YouBet
AG
AgGrad99 said:

YouBet said:

Holy Smokes.

I'm about 1/3 through this book and can't believe what Im reading. I cant even wrap my head around how a 20 something kid can figure out how to do any of this. How is any of this possible?

This story is crazy.
Amazing isn't it. Just saw an article yesterday that GS CEO took a 35% pay cut last year as punishment for this. He still made $17.5M though. Lol.
AgGrad99
AG
Some of the most amazing parts, is learning about the inner workings of GS and similar companies. Guys like Tim Leisner who make 1 million+ per year, which is basically just seed money, because they reserve the best deals for themselves and partners. As long as you're bringing in $$, no one asks too many questions.
YouBet
AG
AgGrad99 said:

Some of the most amazing parts, is learning about the inner workings of GS and similar companies. Guys like Tim Leisner who make 1 million+ per year, which is basically just seed money, because they reserve the best deals for themselves and partners. As long as you're bringing in $$, no one asks too many questions.
Yes, and keep in mind this all started within months of the Great Recession ending caused by a mortgage bubble that GS and like firms pushed. They suffered nothing from that and continued their unethical ways with this. It's a sobering inside view to these big investment firms. We all knew they were unethical, but this really hit it home.
Post removed:
by user
YouBet
AG
third coast.. said:

And they are the ones screaming foul after this whole game stop thing. The finance pundits were incredulous.
Exactly. We may see another book out of this event today and I suspect we will.
AgGrad99
AG
third coast.. said:

And they are the ones screaming foul after this whole game stop thing. The finance pundits were incredulous.

Yep. 'Don't do to us what we do to you!!'
Jinx
Finished Fellowship of the Ring unabridged (audio) and good gracious does that one like to take its time.

Words of Radiance (text), however, flew by in no time at all. Really excited to see where that series is going, can't wait!
mrsbeer05
AG
Fifty Words for Rain by Asha Lennie
B-
A bi-racial girl coming of age in 1950s Japan. Heartbreaking story that goes against everything you know about the character in the end.

Artemis by Andy Weir
B-
It's funny, but not as good as The Martian. The ending felt rushed and the overall plot felt weak.
Humorous Username
AG
Carrying over from the 2020 thread:

With Santa bringing a Pokmon game to my kids, we really slowed down reading the Harry Potter series from one chapter a night to a chapter per night on F-Su nights.

We finished Order of the Phoenix on Friday night, and we started Half-Blood Prince on Saturday.

I forgot how brave Neville was during the battle at the Department of Mysteries. We watched the movie on Saturday morning, and it does him little justice as to how much he had grown in his confidence.

I finished The Corporation on Saturday morning. If you are at all curious about the Cuban diaspora, especially into the USA, or the history of the Cuban mafia, or police work in the 70's-00's, or why some Cubans just stopped caring about killing Castro after so much betrayal by the US Government/CIA, I cannot recommend this book enough.

I heard about that book by listening to the interview Joe Rogan did with its author, TJ English. The next book I am reading is also because of a JR interview: Surprise, Kill, Vanish: The Secret History of CIA Paramilitary Armies, Operators, and Assassins, by Annie Jacobsen.
amercer
AG
Equal Rites
Mort

37 to go
PDWT_12
AG
Read 24 books in 2020, goal is to get to 30 in 2021. So far this year:

Hell's Angels by Hunter S. Thompson- Interesting look at the motorcycle gang as they were beginning to see their reputation grow.

Storm Front by Jim Butcher- First book in the Dresden Files. Though it was pretty good, seemed like a lot of stuff left on the table and unexplored but I suppose that's why there is like 20 something books in the series. Good enough that I'm going to keep at it.

Reading now-

Full Moon by Butcher- Like I said, not done with the Dresden series.

The Sinful Seven by Spencer Hall and several other guys that used to write with SB Nation. Basically a history of the NCAA, how it rose to be the authority in college sports, and how it's led to discrepancies in money and power across the different sports. All of that is told with a Western Sci-Fi setting, where schools, coaches, and NCAA officials are different characters and what not. It's very weird and far from brilliant writing, but it's fun and has actual information in there too.

For reference, I just read through a scene where a bear named Paul teams up with a crow named John David to defeat a minotaur from Varr City who speaks like Matthew McConaughey.
COOL LASER FALCON
Haven't ever participated in this thread, but hoping to read way more this year. Off to a good start.

Lafayette in the Somewhat United States
B-
Decent amount of good history told through a comedic lens, and the way she included a lot about doing her research for the book was entertaining.

The Word is Murder (Audiobook)
B-
Very cool concept where the author pulls himself into a murder mystery. I probably would have liked it more if I had realized how much of himself he put in there. The real life elements make it feel fairly real, but I thought the ending kind of wrecked that. The Audiobook was done very well.
Claude!
Complete: First Watch by Dale Lucas. A procedural crime story set in a fantasy world. It's a fine, easy read. Not as good as Terry Pratchett's books about the Ankh-Morpork Guard (of which it is reminiscent), but that's a high bar to hit. At least good enough that I bought the next book in the series.
13B
When you are done reading the Harry Potter series to your kids, may I recommend Peter and the Starcatchers series by Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson? It is an interesting take on the story of Peter Pan. It is thick like HP but broken up into very manageable chapters a night. I believe there are 4 in the series.
Tabasco
AG
Ok, I have never posted on a book thread, but thought I would throw this out there for anyone that might be interested. Forewarning.. It is a book about a female survivor of sexual abuse, essentially recounting her experience. Based on my job, I hear about these things several times a week, but it was still very enlightening.

disclosure/ If any survivor of sexual abuse is reading this, the (in my opinion) descriptions of actual abuse are not detailed or specific enough to trigger. Not saying it would not be anxiety provoking, but I am just saying that the prose is not very specific and is vague/implied... in general. I'd rate it an A- if that helps.

Spilled Milk
COOL LASER FALCON
Zoey Punches the Future in the Dick
A

I really liked this book and the first book in the series, Futuristic Violence and Fancy Suits. Good social satire in a really cool setting. Plus, how could I resist that title?
YouBet
AG
Completed
Persepolis Rising (The Expanse, #7) - James S.A. Corey

Summer Knight (The Dresden Files #4)
So this is the book that fans says where this series really takes off and I agree. Fast paced action and fun.

Starting book 5. Will probably read a few of these before I swing to something else.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Finished Sanderson's Mistborn Trilogy the other day. Started a Dune reread.
Lola68
My favorite sci-fi fiction is from Dan Simmons, the Hyperion Cantos and Ilium-Olympus. Also enjoyed the Raven's Shadow series from Anthony Ryan, fantasy genre. Gentlemen *******s series (fantasy) from Scott Lynch, and Pierce Brown's Red Rising Saga (sci-fi). All good reads.
The Dog Lord
AG
Dune
Dune Messiah in-progress

2021 has been very busy for me so far, so I haven't done much reading. Also, I wasn't immediately pulled into this one, so I read lightly to start. The first scene with a sand worm followed by the awesome dinner scene with the who's-who of Arrakis is where I picked up the pace, and it just kept getting better.

I have to say this was a lot different than I expected. I've always heard that people love it and that it's a classic in sci-fi, but I didn't realize that it was high fantasy-esque. I guess I was expecting more of your standard sci-fi, but it's definitely closer to Foundation than Old Man's War.

For those that have read it, will the appendices spoil anything of the future story, and are they worth reading right now?
DallasAggie87
AG
Just finished book 2 of The Expanse series. Digging it so far. Hit 35 books last year hoping to hit that mark this year.

Favorite series last year was The Licanius Trilogy. Good read with some excellent plot twists.

Buzzy

Read The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes, the Hunger Game prequel, which caused me to re-read the whole series again. I had honestly forgotten how psychologically damaged Katniss was throughout Mockingjay.
AgGrad99
AG
Finished:
Empire of the Summer Moon
The Moth and the Mountain
Billion Dollar Whale
Personal Memoirs of Ulysses S. Grant
The Logic of God
Free Fire
News of the World
In the Garden of Beasts
Sword of San Jacinto: A life of Sam Houston
What Christians Believe
Killers of the Flower Moon

Reading:
Live not by Lies

dc509
AG
AgGrad99 said:

Reading:
In the Garden of Beasts
It's a true account of the Ambassador to Germany in the 30s, leading up to WWII, as Hitler is taking control of the country. It's a really good story from the perspective of the Ambassador and his daughter. It's extremely interesting historically, when you compare it to our world today.

I read this a couple of years ago and really liked it. His perspective was fascinating.

I'm going to read "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich" one of these days.
AgGrad99
AG

Quote:

His perspective was fascinating.
Completely agree. As is the perspective of his daughter. No different than the youth today.
AZAG08
AG
Longhorn Nation said:

1. A Minute to Midnight by David Baldacci
2. Envy the Night by Michael Koryta

I normally love Baldacci books, but this one was a struggle. I think he's pumping them out too fast now and the writing is suffering a bit. (It won't prevent me from continuing to read him.) I read a couple of Koryta novels last year and I like his writing style. This was a short book (< 300 pages) and his first . . . thumbs up.
Good to know - I read a lot of Baldacci books
Diggity
AG
I'm always curious about the output of some of these guys so I looked up Baldacci.

Seems like 2 a year is his typical pace. Maybe just running out of ideas?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.