*** THE UNDOING *** (HBO Limited Series)

6,459 Views | 68 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by YouBet
Living Legend
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think the grandfather did it but I'm unsure how.
Centerpole90
AG
Welp. That's that.
Mozart Paintings
AG
ItsA&InotA&M said:

The blonde friend is feeding the prosecutor inside info about her conversations with Kidman. When she entered the courtroom one day, she gave the prosecutor a friendly wave.
Her inside info about what Kidman actually believes (via their phone conversation), will lead to Grant's conviction.
But, shortly after the verdict, Kidman will learn that her dad committed the murder and Henry knew about it.

First part of this was spot on
TCTTS
AG
Turns out, the simplest answer was the right one. The last ten minutes or so were kind of out there, but I thought it was a pretty good finale overall, especially the courtroom stuff, which was riveting.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Used that hammer like driving a nail into a fencepost on a nice little Saturday
DannyDuberstein
AG
Last 10 minutes was lame. I think it ends better if they left it with the lawyer saying "you didn't get rid of the ****ing hammer". That was great. Grace leaves with her dad. Roll credits.
jagged
AG
Yes a little disappointing, but guess the twist was in the court testimony vs the crime itself.

Agree with Danny, last getaway was a little ridiculous with the helicopters flying 20' off the ground and whatnot.

Good show overall.
TCTTS
AG
Agreed. The finale was aces to that point. Make it slightly more of a "moment" when Grace f*cks him over, then just have a montage of him being sentenced/put behind bars, intercut with the flashbacks of him killing Elena, and end it there.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Judge Judy would have destroyed the prosecutor on the hearsay objections and sustained every one them. Grace wouldn't have gotten "I spoke to his moth..." before she squashed that
AgShaun00
AG
TCTTS said:

Agreed. The finale was aces to that point. Make it slightly more of a "moment" when Grace f*cks him over, then just have a montage of him being sentenced/put behind bars, intercut with the flashbacks of him killing Elena, and end it there.
Seems they wanted to show his true character to end. The final look he gave when they flew off shows his narcissism.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I thought they accomplished that when he was willing to blame the son after the hammer was found.
Living Legend
AG
I enjoyed the show. Is there a list of upcoming shows that will fill that Sunday night 8pm slot?
TCTTS
AG
Unfortunately, not that I know of. Traditionally, the HBO Sunday night drama slot is empty from mid-December to mid-January, so we won't be seeing anything until January, regardless. But by now, in past years, we've at least known what's premiering in January, yet I haven't heard a peep, nor have I seen any trailers for anything. I'm afraid Covid has finally caught up with HBO's scheduling, considering they delayed The Undoing from May/June to November/December just so they had enough content to last the calendar year. That said, The Nevers, their big summer 2021 show, is almost done filming, and it sounds like Succession is about to start filming again any day now, if not already. And I'm sure a couple other shows are already in the can/filming again, and HBO will probably have a new docu-series or two ready as well. But I wouldn't be surprised if they don't have any new scripted Sunday night content until spring or so at the earliest (hopefully with Succession), for the first time in I don't know how long.
BallerStaf2003
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

I thought they accomplished that when he was willing to blame the son after the hammer was found.

Agreed. But then I was still thinking he could be narcissistic and not the murderer.

I thought the show was amazing.

So after thinking about it....

I think there's a better chance than not that he actually killed his sister when he was a teenager.
BallerStaf2003
AG
TCTTS said:

Turns out, the simplest answer was the right one. The last ten minutes or so were kind of out there, but I thought it was a pretty good finale overall, especially the courtroom stuff, which was riveting.

I thought it was fascinating. It was so interesting to see someone with NPD refuse to admit to reality.

It was especially telling when he was talking about his legacy to his son, and trying to preserve something with him.
Living Legend
AG
TCTTS said:

Unfortunately, not that I know of. Traditionally, the HBO Sunday night drama slot is empty from mid-December to mid-January, so we won't be seeing anything until January, regardless. But by now, in past years, we've at least known what's premiering in January, yet I haven't heard a peep, nor have I seen any trailers for anything. I'm afraid Covid has finally caught up with HBO's scheduling, considering they delayed The Undoing from May/June to November/December just so they had enough content to last the calendar year. That said, The Nevers, their big summer 2021 show, is almost done filming, and it sounds like Succession is about to start filming again any day now, if not already. And I'm sure a couple other shows are already in the can/filming again, and HBO will probably have a new docu-series or two ready as well. But I wouldn't be surprised if they don't have any new scripted Sunday night content until spring or so at the earliest (hopefully with Succession), for the first time in I don't know how long.

Got it. I think I did see something about Euphoria coming back next Sunday.
TCTTS
AG
Oh, that's right. But it's just a one or two episode thing, meant to take place between seasons one and two. Season two was about to start filming when the pandemic hit, and they haven't resumed yet, but decided to shoot a couple of sparse cast and crew in-between episodes to tide people over.
M.C. Swag
AG
I am whelmed.
Teddy Perkins
AG
Biggest twist of all, no twist. Still enjoyed it.
TopFlightReject
I know this is the Undoing thread but is anyone checking out Industry, the Brit drama airing on Mondays? Wife and I are watching it and just found out HBO threw the rest of the episodes up on HBO Max over the weekend. We're trying to find a reason to keep HBO until the Spring season when Succession and a few others are back on. Undoing was good and kept our interest for the last month or so.
M.C. Swag
AG
lol me and the wife just started that as well! Only 1 episode in but seems intriguing!
Teddy Perkins
AG
M.C. Swag said:

lol me and the wife just started that as well! Only 1 episode in but seems intriguing!
Exact same. Fired this up after Undoing and Fargo finales last night.
WES2006AG
AG
TopFlightReject said:

I know this is the Undoing thread but is anyone checking out Industry, the Brit drama airing on Mondays? Wife and I are watching it and just found out HBO threw the rest of the episodes up on HBO Max over the weekend. We're trying to find a reason to keep HBO until the Spring season when Succession and a few others are back on. Undoing was good and kept our interest for the last month or so.
I've seen the first few episodes. It is ok, especially with there not being a whole lot of new content out there at the moment.
Sex Panther
AG
I thought this show was excellent, and had me guessing up until the last episode. I was convinced it was Donald Sutherland, but then started second guessing myself and thinking the lawyer friend was involved and probably sleeping with Hugh Grant too... and in the end, Occam's Razor prevailed, and I felt that was actually pretty brilliant in of itself.

It also showcased how amazing Hugh Grant was in this. He turned out to be such a narcissistic sociopath, that you weren't sure it was actually him, even though looking back it was pretty obvious. Seriously, he was phenomenal in this. His facial expressions during her testimony were so subtly fantastic.

Highly enjoyable, tight little miniseries.
TCTTS
AG
Glad to hear it.

And yeah, we definitely need a Hugh Grant-aissance. He was hilarious in The Gentlemen earlier this year, and he could play an excellent villain in some big budget something or other, or go back to his charming self, just older and more seasoned now. Either way, after a nice little 2020 run, he needs to be working more.
Sex Panther
AG
Agree completely, and I was thinking the same thing. He's having a great run, and was indeed hilariously awesome in The Gentlemen. You kind of forget how big he was 20 or so years ago, but he's actually a pretty great actor too.

I could see him being an old school Bond villain after his turn in this. Or at least Kingsmen 5 or whatever they're doing next in that series.
cr0wbar
AG
Wrapped it up last night. As Panther said - nice and tight little miniseries. I thought Donald Sutherland was amazing (as always), Hugh Grant really blew me away too.

I tell you what Noma Dumezweni (Haley Fitzgerald) is a damn fine actor. Really impressed with her. I, too, think they should've kept the ending in the court room with the "how could you forget the ****ing hammer" I don't think we needed the helicopter denouement.

Few Q's:

Grace called her friend for a walk and asked her to help. Maybe I missed what exactly she did to help? Was it something hammer related?

I also want to nominate Matilda De Angelis for TV Tittays of 2020. Might be the best TV rack since Alexandra Daddadrio?

DannyDuberstein
AG
Her friend was able to pass along the info about his sister's death and his reaction to it. Basically set up the meat of the prosecution cross-examination to show he's a sociopath with a line of questioning they'd never have otherwise known to pursue
cr0wbar
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Judge Judy would have destroyed the prosecutor on the hearsay objections and sustained every one them. Grace wouldn't have gotten "I spoke to his moth..." before she squashed that
Dr.Rumack
TCTTS said:

Glad to hear it.

And yeah, we definitely need a Hugh Grant-aissance. He was hilarious in The Gentlemen earlier this year, and he could play an excellent villain in some big budget something or other, or go back to his charming self, just older and more seasoned now. Either way, after a nice little 2020 run, he needs to be working more.

Hilarious that during the second episode, I told my wife, 'I can't get over that this guy sounds just like Hugh Grant.' Not sure she's ever thought I was more blind.
FtBendTxAg
AG
It took a 6 episode miniseries to commentate that doctors are narcissistic sociopaths? Seems like there could have been cheaper ways to prove what we already know.

JK. Pretty dang good. Me and my wife binged in 2 nights. Solid performances by the 3 big hitters, and pretty good performance from lead detective actor.
West Point Aggie
AG
Is it a very violent miniseries? I tend to avoid those...
Sex Panther
AG
West Point Aggie said:

Only one scene... but it's pretty hardcore
West Point Aggie
AG
Sex Panther said:

West Point Aggie said:

Only one scene... but it's pretty hardcore

Thanks...as I said in another thread, this forum is helping me make all my watching decisions...so I'm out!
YouBet
AG
cr0wbar said:

Wrapped it up last night. As Panther said - nice and tight little miniseries. I thought Donald Sutherland was amazing (as always), Hugh Grant really blew me away too.

I tell you what Noma Dumezweni (Haley Fitzgerald) is a damn fine actor. Really impressed with her. I, too, think they should've kept the ending in the court room with the "how could you forget the ****ing hammer" I don't think we needed the helicopter denouement.

Few Q's:

Grace called her friend for a walk and asked her to help. Maybe I missed what exactly she did to help? Was it something hammer related?

I also want to nominate Matilda De Angelis for TV Tittays of 2020. Might be the best TV rack since Alexandra Daddadrio?

Funny thing about this is that they actually talked about her great her tits were in the show! Kidman's friends made comments about them. Lol.

Anyway, good show. We didn't know who did it up until the end because of all of the misdirects.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.