*** THE UNDOING *** (HBO Limited Series)

6,457 Views | 68 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by YouBet
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
When reactions for this series first dropped, I saw so many "This is just East Coast Big Little Lies, but bad" type Tweets, to the point where I didn't even bother giving it a chance, even though I love Sunday night HBO and was somewhat looking forward to it. But then, between a couple positive reactions in the HBO thread, and The Watch podcast giving it their endorsement (who I trust and am usually in line with), my interest was piqued again. And now, after devouring the three episodes that have aired so far, I have to say, I am so, so in. Really, I don't at all understand the initial criticisms, as this is just as addicting, if not more so, than Big Little Lies.

Big Little Lies was definitely a more splashy, star-studded, well-rounded series, but I think this is a more focused, suspenseful, and engaging story overall. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen three episodes in a row, of any show, end on such consistently great cliffhangers. The kid in this is also way more tolerable than the kids in Big Little Lies, and Hugh Grant continues to have a nice little renaissance, as he's impressive here as well. While the digital cinematography can be distracting at times (even though it still looks like a million bucks), and Big Little Lies' general vibe, soundtrack, etc is superior, I'd absolutely put this in the conversation with other notable 2020 shows so far (not quite tier one, but definitely tier two), which has already been an incredible year for TV.

Anyway, it's currently halfway through its six-episode run, with the fourth episode airing this Sunday. So if you're into this sort of thing, I highly recommend giving it a shot and catching up, as it's absolutely worth your time.

Btron
AG
I'm watching this with my suspense loving wife. I'm not in love with it, but it's fine.
If you do not like Nicole Kidman then I would not tune in. It is a ton of her.
I think it's pretty predictable who the killer is, and I feel they are stretching this out to make 6 episodes. A al Night of, Outsiders, and other wanna be prestige tv that HBO has done of late. This could have been a 95min film instead of 6 hr show. But still tuning in, entertaining and the rich Manhattan life style is enjoyable.
TCTTS
AG
Another great episode tonight, another great cliffhanger.
TCTTS
AG
Btron said:

I'm watching this with my suspense loving wife. I'm not in love with it, but it's fine.
If you do not like Nicole Kidman then I would not tune in. It is a ton of her.
I think it's pretty predictable who the killer is, and I feel they are stretching this out to make 6 episodes. A al Night of, Outsiders, and other wanna be prestige tv that HBO has done of late. This could have been a 95min film instead of 6 hr show. But still tuning in, entertaining and the rich Manhattan life style is enjoyable.

After four episodes, with only two to go, I honestly have no clue. I mean, if it's a cast member we know, I have one guess, but it would be pretty lame if true. Otherwise, no idea. (And I ask that any guesses please be kept behind spoiler tags.)
DannyDuberstein
AG
It's been okay. Kidman's character is annoying me a bit but Donald Sutherland has been nails. My thoughts: Her husband is a friggin psychopath and about to try to pin it on her, and in spite of being a psychologist, she's unable to see the flaws in the men she loves most. This show isn't following the book, but that is basically the premise of the book - that she was blind to the kind of man her husband actually is and looked past so much.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Btw I hereby proclaim that everyone needs to pronounce "c**ksucker" like Sutherland did in this episode
TCTTS
AG
That was glorious. I may or may not have repeated it out loud, in exactly the way he pronounced it, to myself, alone on my couch, just to try it out.
Teddy Perkins
AG
Kidman did it, that's my theory. Enjoying it so far. Also, that poster in the OP is crazy shopped. Where are all of Hugh Grant's face wrinkles?
bonfarr
AG
Thanks for the rec, the wife and I are enjoying it and it isn't often we find a show we both like. Now we are caught up and suffering the long wait until Sunday night.

Oh and the murdered woman is smoking hot.
TCTTS
DannyDuberstein
AG
bonfarr said:

Oh and the murdered woman is smoking hot.

We needed more gym scenes before she died.
DannyDuberstein
AG
That never happens at my gym. Just old guys blowdrying their balls
Capitol Ag
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Facts.
AgShaun00
AG
Capitol Ag said:

DannyDuberstein said:

Facts.
I don't get it.
Capitol Ag
AG
AgShaun00 said:

Capitol Ag said:

DannyDuberstein said:

Facts.
I don't get it.
The only thing I can think is that after a certain age, certain men revert back to what my son was like at 3 years old. "I'm naked and this feels so good!" Plus add to that the fact that a lot of older males just DGAF about what people think anymore, you get naked old guys who seem to want to just let it all hang out and aren't aware that standing over someone with their junk hanging in their face while they put on their socks and shoes makes that person uncomfortable. When the woman in the show had her vagina in Nicole Kidman's face and she was trying to look elsewhere, I started laughing and told my wife to replace Kidman with a 20-30something male and the nude woman with a 65+ male in the exact same position and you get to see a normal afternoon in the men's locker room. Poor younger guy is trying to figure out where to look and the older guy seems to have no clue. Good times. Funny thing is that the 20-30something roided out dude never has this problem. Old guys seem to stay away from them. LOL

Another reason to make your own garage gym!
Btron
AG
Fingers crossed this isn't the start of a thread derail.
TCTTS
AgShaun00
AG
Not completely surprised by the ending. Curious for how they spin this. I was thinking Kidman was multiple personality shrink. Figured that was too crazy
DannyDuberstein
AG
The world's most clueless psychologist. She missed the day they taught about sociopaths. As an army of them right under her nose. This feels like a really cheap "twist" that was so cheap that I overestimated the writing in thinking surely they wouldn't go there.
BadMoonRisin
AG
I like this show.

Noah Jupe is going places. That kid was great in Honey Boy as well.
I know I ain't leavin' you like I know He ain't leavin' us
I know we believe in God and I know God believes in us
mavsfan4ever
AG
Meh, didn't like the ending. I thought something seemed a little off about the kid the entire series and was thinking they may go this route, but was hoping they wouldn't.

Hopefully there is more to it than what the ending was hinting at.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, with an episode left, I still think there's one last reveal. The kid obviously had a hand in it, or at least knew or witnessed it, but I'll surprised if someone else - like the grandfather - didn't commit the actual murder.
TCTTS
AG
Oh, and I still think her blonde lawyer friend has something else up her sleeve. I feel like she's too prominently featured to only be a sounding board for Kidman's character. There's gotta be one last twist with her.
TopFlightReject
Great episode and my wife called it the second Kidman's character told the dad that the kid idolized him right after they just had a meal together where the kid moaned about them being a family again. We're thinking the dad did it but the kid is hiding the evidence for him.
TCTTS
AG
Ooohhh, yeah. That's an interesting theory.
mavsfan4ever
AG
TCTTS said:

Yeah, with an episode left, I still think there's one last reveal. The kid obviously had a hand in it, or at least knew or witnessed it, but I'll surprised if someone else - like the grandfather - didn't commit the actual murder.
This is kinda what I'm thinking too.
TCTTS
AG
Alright, with 48 hours 'til the finale, post your best guess...

Who's the killer?

One guess only - no wishy-washy answers - and we're talking the actual person who bludgeoned Elena with the hammer, not any potential accomplices (though, feel free to mention accomplices, just distinguish them from your hammer-bludgeoner pick).

I'm not super confident in it, but I'm going out on a limb and going with...

GRACE
(Nicole Kidman)
Teddy Perkins
AG
Teddy Perkins said:

Kidman did it, that's my theory. Enjoying it so far. Also, that poster in the OP is crazy shopped. Where are all of Hugh Grant's face wrinkles?
Sticking with my original theory.
AgShaun00
AG
I can't see a shrink with multiple personalities doing it. Don't think the kid did either. Going with the husband with no reason at all but just a crap shoot.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Still going with the husband. She's just blind to the serious flaws in all of the men in her life. Her husband is a sociopath. Her dad was a serial cheater in a lousy marriage that she thought was fine (an old fashioned cooksucker). Her son may have some of the same issues as dad but I don't buy that he did it.

There's something up with the friend though. She's a wild card.
TXAGFAN
AG
I still think it's the husband and the scene with son is misdirection and what a miserable f*** Grants character is.

Son was far too agitated about scene with his dad and affair for it to be him.
Btron
AG
I want to say Henry, but I just don't believe an 11 yr has the strength or pure evil to pound someone into mush. Also part of me thinks it's going to be an Orient Express thing where multiple characters actually kill her. Each main character takes a blow to the head, round robin style. Kidding, but maybe.

But I'll go with Henry as my final answer.
ItsA&InotA&M
The blonde friend is feeding the prosecutor inside info about her conversations with Kidman. When she entered the courtroom one day, she gave the prosecutor a friendly wave.
Her inside info about what Kidman actually believes (via their phone conversation), will lead to Grant's conviction.
But, shortly after the verdict, Kidman will learn that her dad committed the murder and Henry knew about it.

DannyDuberstein
AG
If it's the old fashioned cokesucker, then he would have needed to pay someone. It would be out of character to have him get his hands dirty
TCTTS
AG
Agreed. Good point.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.