ESPN's Michael Jordan Doc moved up to April

59,577 Views | 648 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Petrino1
Know Your Enemy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
He sounds like an entitled ***** if your story is true. It would be one thing if Jordan didn't take baseball seriously but he clearly did. If there wasn't a strike who knows what he would've done. He might have worked his way into the majors. But he didn't want to sit around and wait for MLB players to decide to start playing again.
ATM9000
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

ATM9000 said:

And secondly, the coach thing? Guarantee if you went to any of those coaches, they wouldn't view it as Jordan took them for a ride at the behest of player development. This would be likened to getting to meet the President but then after the fact complain about how much it costs the local taxpayers to accommodate the President coming to your town therefore giving you sort of a once in a lifetime story.
That's funny because in 2002 I got to ask Terry Francona that very question when he was a coach for the Rangers and I was working as a sportswriter in Denton. He said that Jordan had been a great influence on the younger guys with his work ethic and desire to win, but when he left the the sport to go back to the Bulls, it was a slap in the face to the people who had put in so much of their time to help him when they were legitimate pro prospects on that team that could have also benefited from all that time spent.

Ok... that answer doesn't really address my point which is I bet every person in the clubhouse was much happier for their 1 year Jordan experience than not.

And I seriously doubt 1 player took away from any prospect on a AA club with serious big league potential and, if you were a sportswriter, I'm sure you do too.
Fat Bib Fortuna
I give up.

redline248
AG
Jordan fans and Rockets fans can appreciate this

M.C. Swag
AG
redline248 said:

Houston Cockets
aTmAg
AG
In case this hasn't been posted yet:

MGS
M.C. Swag said:

redline248 said:

Houston Cockets

LA Spurs
Frok
AG
I watched this and I thought it jumped all over the place too much.
JCA1
AG
I loved it so this is a very faint criticism.

However, after reading the backstory for this (over 500 hours of behind-the-scenes footage of the 97 season that had not seen the light of day in 23 years), I was a little disappointed that more of that footage wasn't used. Most of the best parts were from that footage (MJ and Bird after the Pacers were eliminated, sneaking Rodman out of the arena, MJ pitching quarters with the security guys, etc). Wish there had been more of that. That's also probably because I lived the MJ era, so most of the old basketball footage I've seen more times than I can count.
aTmAg
AG
Frok said:

I watched this and I thought it jumped all over the place too much.
It had only 2 timelines:
1) the final Bulls season
2) MJ's life prior

Each timeline went in order. I didn't find it confusing at all.
aTmAg
AG
In watching this documentary, it has made me realize how boring the modern NBA is. I grew up in Houston and watched the Rockets win their 2 in the 90s, and then moved to DFW. You can't get the Rockets up here and after Bulls reign ended, I lost interest over time (I never got into the Mavericks). On recent occasion, I watch a finals game here or there and the game has changed drastically. Now it seems to be a 3 point competition. I figured it was just me changing tastes and whatnot, but this documentary brought it all back. MJ, Olajuwon, Stockton, Bird, Magic, etc. highlights are just as exciting now as I remember back then.
country
AG
Agreed. I was an MJ and Bulls devotee.....but even I have to admit that the Houston championships should have no asterisk. They were awesome teams. I think what makes the MJ story so awesome is that as good as he was, he didn't win **** until the team came together. 80's and 90's basketball Had the best teams in just about all of sports. Today we have one on one or the free agents just go make their own dream team. Back then you were either drafted or traded and a team was built. Loved all those teams. I even respect the Pistons and Knicks even though I hated them during the Bulls runs.
Fat Bib Fortuna
Not exactly a shocker since everyone clearly hates Isaiah Thomas, but the Dream Team book author confirmed that Jordan lied about not naming names on who he didn't want to play with.

https://deadspin.com/dream-team-tape-proves-jordan-lied-about-keeping-isia-1843683167
FaceMask
No **** Sherlock.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
PooDoo said:

At 4:48 Jordan brings out the red and black Jordan's... Letterman asks why the NBA didn't allow him to wear the shoe during games, because they are ugly? Jordan say no because they don't have enough white in them. Letterman says just like the NBA and throws the shoe over his shoulder.

I was watching it live with my dad. He did a spit take and sprayed our new sofa. The next morning mom was pissed.

That's amazing; in 1986 at the age of 23, he talked about retiring at the age of 32 to play a different sport . Wonder why he went baseball instead of golf?
johnnyblaze36
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

ATM9000 said:

And secondly, the coach thing? Guarantee if you went to any of those coaches, they wouldn't view it as Jordan took them for a ride at the behest of player development. This would be likened to getting to meet the President but then after the fact complain about how much it costs the local taxpayers to accommodate the President coming to your town therefore giving you sort of a once in a lifetime story.
That's funny because in 2002 I got to ask Terry Francona that very question when he was a coach for the Rangers and I was working as a sportswriter in Denton. He said that Jordan had been a great influence on the younger guys with his work ethic and desire to win, but when he left the the sport to go back to the Bulls, it was a slap in the face to the people who had put in so much of their time to help him when they were legitimate pro prospects on that team that could have also benefited from all that time spent.

Did you work for the Denton Record-Chronicle by chance? If so then you worked alongside a good friend of mine who was also a sportswriter there at the same time.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
I don't get this "bombshell" news about Jordan knowingly keeping Thomas off of the Dream Team. It's been confirmed multiple times that he did this, basically because of the existing DET/CHI rivalry and because he insinuated that Magic Johnson was gay.

Both Jordan and Thomas are notorious *******s and this doc is just confirmation of what most basketball fans already knew. Doesn't make MJ less great of a basketball player.
FaceMask
I think it was more that Bird, Magic, etc also contributed to Isaiah T being booted off .
Stive
AG
Pretty sure I've heard Bird say "none of us liked him..." during some interview in the past.
Petrino1
I don't think anyone on the dream team liked Isaiah Thomas and wanted him on the team. Check out David Robinson's comments below.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nba/news/david-robinson-says-no-one-should-be-surprised-that-isiah-thomas-was-left-off-dream-team-chemistry-matters/amp/

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.