ESPN's Michael Jordan Doc moved up to April

59,555 Views | 648 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Petrino1
Bruce Almighty
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I bought a pair of the first Bo Jackson shoes last month. I got a few compliments when I wore them.
GreasenUSA
AG
https://stockx.com/jordan-1-og-chicago-1985

How about real originals? Asking $20 grand!
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
I saw the other day where Sotheby's auctioned off a signed game-worn pair for half a mil. I think they were samples too, not even assembly line production versions. Pretty rare obviously, but half a mil??? Oof. I'll find the link.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
jetch17
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

So how much of a bump will there be in Air Jordan sales due to this doc?

A friend just fulfilled his childhood dream and bought a pair of the OG Air Jordan 1's. (In green.)

They look pretty sick.

Heh I bought some maroon/white VI's a few years ago just because I never had any as a kid - wear them to work on fridays during football season

Still want some black/infrared VI's - those are the ones I pined for as a kid
TXAG 05
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

I bought a pair of the first Bo Jackson shoes last month. I got a few compliments when I wore them.

Those were the shoes I always wanted when I was a kid.

I learned in this thread that they still make old styles of Jordans and others. Had no idea.
gigemJTH12
AG
Max Power said:

Lebron isn't Jordan, and the distance between those two guys is a chasm. I would still take Kobe over Lebron, he's the closest there was to Jordan, Lebron is third place at best. Jordan played the game during a time of violence, that is one of the biggest marks against Lebron...they do not play the game that was played in the 80s and 90s, he might be able to handle it, but he's not required to play it. Every good team from back then played physical defense, now if you hand check it gets called. I miss that style of basketball.
dumb
M.C. Swag
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

Max Power said:

Lebron isn't Jordan, and the distance between those two guys is a chasm. I would still take Kobe over Lebron, he's the closest there was to Jordan, Lebron is third place at best. Jordan played the game during a time of violence, that is one of the biggest marks against Lebron...they do not play the game that was played in the 80s and 90s, he might be able to handle it, but he's not required to play it. Every good team from back then played physical defense, now if you hand check it gets called. I miss that style of basketball.
dumb
lol it's a super dumb take. like 270lb Lebron James would turn into goo because of a hand check.

And people casually forget that 80/90s defenses weren't allowed to play zone...or literally double team any other player that didn't have the ball (ie - denying a player like jordan off ball from getting possession, which is what any modern nba team would do the second a player like rodman got it).
PooDoo
AG
At 4:48 Jordan brings out the red and black Jordan's... Letterman asks why the NBA didn't allow him to wear the shoe during games, because they are ugly? Jordan say no because they don't have enough white in them. Letterman says just like the NBA and throws the shoe over his shoulder.

I was watching it live with my dad. He did a spit take and sprayed our new sofa. The next morning mom was pissed.
BigHitterDaLama
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1997-Upper-Deck-Michael-Jordan-Autograph-Game-Used-AS-Jersey-Card-UD-Auto-GJ13S/323087192723?hash=item4b397f5293:g:Pc0AAOSwT6pVurkx

$1.5M
Trucker 96
Head Ninja In Charge said:

There's been a noticeable bump over the last month if StockX is to be trusted. Basically, it's an aftermarket/secondary market for shoes. A rough look at black/red Air Jordan I's looks to have gone up from an average of $650 to $850.

https://stockx.com/jordan-1-retro-bred-2016

Rocked em in 6th grade. **** I'm old
GreasenUSA
AG
Scottie Pippen 'livid' at Michael Jordan for 'Last Dance' portrayal

Well you knew that was coming...
Stive
AG
Horace Grant doesn't seem happy either.
k20dub
AG
GreasenUSA said:

I thought he was portrayed in a pretty positive light...
Bruce Almighty
AG
k20dub said:

GreasenUSA said:

I think Jordan called him selfish in the first two episodes when Pippen delayed surgery, causing him to miss much of the 97-98 season. Other than that, yea it was positive towards him.
Rascal
AG
WelchAg said:

MuckRaker96 said:

When the doc started I loved Jordan's candor and hearing him swear. By the end of it I was really sick of his arrogance and denigration of other players. Particularly him lambasting Pippen for quitting on the team a couple of times, then quitting himself, then coming back expecting to be welcomed in as the man after leaving his team hanging for 1-2/3rd seasons.

It was really impressive filming and I can't get enough of the behind-the-scenes action and player interviews, but definitely lowered my opinion of the GOAT overall as a person.

Any truth to the rumor that ESPN has started pre-production on the slated 2044 release of the LeBron James documentary tentatively called "Hey Everyone, Look How Great I Am"?
I walked away liking MJ more. He was genuine and real. I respect that way more than all the fake personalities you see all over the place.
I just finished this and I'm somewhere in the middle of both of your takes here.

MJ (and the Mavs vs Lakers in '88) is what piqued my interest in the NBA in the first place after watching him win the slam dunk contest in '88.

I had never liked watching the un-athletic looking NBA (especially Bird and Magic) and Jordan was that perfect athlete that had the looks and the skill and the shock n' awe. I know, weird, but that's just me.

I was such a huge Bulls fan and them winning the '91 title was one of my greatest sports memories and it was right before the awesomeness of the Dallas Cowboys from 92-95, which is my other best sports memory era.

Admittedly, I didn't know much about MJ's personality or history. Had no clue about him cheating on his wife and his divorce, although not covered in the doc.

This doc has been eye opening. I still like him and agree that the point of the doc is to highlight the big trade offs he made to win. No problem with that. He's still the GOAT. But, he did come off as a bully and that is disappointing. It basically underscores what I've come to learn over the past several years anyway, which is PRO athletes are all pretty much coddled, narcissistic A-holes that really shouldn't be put up too high on any pedestal.

Very fascinating to watch.
k20dub
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

k20dub said:

GreasenUSA said:

I think Jordan called him selfish in the first two episodes when Pippen delayed surgery, causing him to miss much of the 97-98 season. Other than that, yea it was positive towards him.
It was pretty selfish.
Malachi Constant
AG
I was with MJ all the way until the late night trip to Atlantic City to gamble the night before a playoff game.

He didn't seem to think it was a big deal. It is a big deal. Him not seeing that was really tone deaf.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
I also don't get Scottie's issue with the doc. Jordan basically said he couldn't do it without him and they did portray him as the 2nd best player in the NBA at the time (which he was not). He came off pretty well in my opinion.
Fairview
AG
I don't get it either. With the delayed surgery thing Scottie even said his famous line "I'm not going to F my summer up." He knew what he was doing.
k20dub
AG
Johnny Manziel did an interview the other day with a Golf podcast. They asked him about his trip to Vegas when he was the Browns and he said something along the lines of "I was like Rodman, I needed a break." Clearly that story about Rodman struck a chord with Johnny.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
pip was phenomenal in his own right but he was a little b****
Fat Bib Fortuna
Fairview said:

I don't get it either. With the delayed surgery thing Scottie even said his famous line "I'm not going to F my summer up." He knew what he was doing.

I would guess scottie finds it a little ass backwards to be called selfish by the guy who decides to retire in the prime of his career, then wants to come back and immediately be THE MAN again 60 games nto the second season he has been gone when scottie had been carrying that team on his back. Jordan's comeback was an all time thrill for a sports fan, but if youre a teammate who he has been criticizing and intimidating for years, it is some major league bull when he decides to stroll back onto the court and take over.
Trucker 96
Jordan was/is a dick, hypocrite, and a bully. But he also probably doesn't become the player he did or win the championships he won without it. So it's a double-edged sword. That said, all of those qualities also made him an absolutely lousy owner/front office guy.
ConroeAg
Pippen looked bad for sitting out that final play when it was drawn up for Kucok, and he looked bad for the whole surgery/contract thing, but both of those negatives were well-earned by him. Not MJ's fault.

On the other hand, MJ said very clearly you can't speak Jordan without speaking Pippen. Best teammate he ever had.

Pippen was also consistently made out to be perhaps the 2nd best player in the league, and far undervalued. Lots of folks on camera praised Pippen.

There was also lots of positive attention paid to the game where he played with a hurt back.

He's just doing what we all do, and focusing on the negative things said about you despite all of the other positive things that were said.
JCA1
AG
My guess is Scottie thinks his 2 blemishes (refusing to go in when the play was drawn up for Kukoc and postponing surgery until the season) were unduly highlighted. I would disagree with the second, as the documentary was centered around that season. You could argue that the other was given more attention than it deserved since this was basically a Jordan documentary and he wasn't even on the team at the time.

But at the end of the day, I don't care because, as a 10th grader, I went to Pippen's basketball camp at Central Arkansas in 1991 and he was barely there. Saw him for about 30 minutes total the whole week. Me and several other campers gave his car the finger as he drove off. Complete rip off.
Know Your Enemy
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

Fairview said:

I would guess scottie finds it a little ass backwards to be called selfish by the guy who decides to retire in the prime of his career, then wants to come back and immediately be THE MAN again 60 games nto the second season he has been gone when scottie had been carrying that team on his back. Jordan's comeback was an all time thrill for a sports fan, but if youre a teammate who he has been criticizing and intimidating for years, it is some major league bull when he decides to stroll back onto the court and take over.

This is such a weird take. Jordan was selfish because he was burned out and retired to chase another dream? Then he was selfish for wanting to be THE MAN when he came back? Was he not still the best player on the team even when he wasn't full strength? If you remember, Scottie was pointing at the camera showing the Air Jordan logo on the bottom of his shoe asking Mike to come back. Do you think Scottie expected him to come back and NOT be the alpha dog again?
Know Your Enemy
AG
Head Ninja In Charge said:

I also don't get Scottie's issue with the doc. Jordan basically said he couldn't do it without him and they did portray him as the 2nd best player in the NBA at the time (which he was not). He came off pretty well in my opinion.

I agree with this. He did himself a huge disservice by saying he probably wouldn't change anything about sitting out that last play called for Kukoc. I love Scottie and think he doesn't get the praise he deserves but this documentary was almost entirely positive for him. He's the one focusing on the few small portions that were critical. At least he's not crying to the media like Horace Grant and some of the other whiners.
Fat Bib Fortuna
Junkhead said:

MuckRaker96 said:

Fairview said:

This is such a weird take. Jordan was selfish because he was burned out and retired to chase another dream? Then he was selfish for wanting to be THE MAN when he came back? Was he not still the best player on the team even when he wasn't full strength? If you remember, Scottie was pointing at the camera showing the Air Jordan logo on the bottom of his shoe asking Mike to come back. Do you think Scottie expected him to come back and NOT be the alpha dog again?
He claims that he quit baseball because the strike prevented him from progressing at the rate he wanted to. The strike started on August 11, 1994. Minor league seasons end the last week of August, so that's about 15-games he missed.

He retired March 11,1995 and the work stoppage ended a couple of weeks later, with a full spring training thereafter and the regular season shortened by 18 games. It's hard to believe that missing 35 games was going to impede his entire career progress. You retire, and now you've just let everyone who's busted their ass trying to get you into baseball shape and go out of their way to help you not look like an idiot on the field, "Oh hey, never mind. I'm a basketball player again." All those coaches' hours that they could have spent developing young talent that might actually make the majors instead spent on the biggest athlete in the world - all now wasted.

So it sounds like he got extremely bored between August 1994-March 1995 and decided to blow off the baseball career and go back to being center stage. And yeah, coming back out of shape and having skipped the first 3/4ths of the season is pretty damn selfish in a team sport.

And pretty damn selfish to snap your fingers and quit on the baseball franchise that has been catering to your every need for the last 2 years to because you didn't feel like waiting around for the work stoppage to be over, unlike every single other player in the sport.

He's the best basketball player of all time, I've always thought that, but clearly not motivated by any team-first mentality with those decisions. And yes, great players, ego, selfish, drive to win, all that. That's why he's correct when he says he shouldn't be a role model to kids.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Lol, OK.
TCTTS
AG
Had never heard this story before...

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/584677/air-jordan-iii-shocking-story-greatest-shoe-michael-jordan-never-wanted
Kellso
M.C. Swag said:

Jordan's Bulls were literally the most talented squad in the league for at least 5 of those titles. Lebron's loss to the Mavs is the only time in his career where he lost a finals as the vegas favorites (which he made up for by beating the '16 warriors as the vegas under dog).
This isn't a positive for Lebron.

From 2010 until 2016 Lebron James was on the most talented team in the NBA, but typically was not the favorite in the Finals.

Lebron has never really been on an all time great team because any team he is on has to play the Lebron James system. Any team that is well coached can beat that system.

ATM9000
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

Junkhead said:

MuckRaker96 said:

Fairview said:

He claims that he quit baseball because the strike prevented him from progressing at the rate he wanted to. The strike started on August 11, 1994. Minor league seasons end the last week of August, so that's about 15-games he missed.

He retired March 11,1995 and the work stoppage ended a couple of weeks later, with a full spring training thereafter and the regular season shortened by 18 games. It's hard to believe that missing 35 games was going to impede his entire career progress. You retire, and now you've just let everyone who's busted their ass trying to get you into baseball shape and go out of their way to help you not look like an idiot on the field, "Oh hey, never mind. I'm a basketball player again." All those coaches' hours that they could have spent developing young talent that might actually make the majors instead spent on the biggest athlete in the world - all now wasted.

So it sounds like he got extremely bored between August 1994-March 1995 and decided to blow off the baseball career and go back to being center stage. And yeah, coming back out of shape and having skipped the first 3/4ths of the season is pretty damn selfish in a team sport.

And pretty damn selfish to snap your fingers and quit on the baseball franchise that has been catering to your every need for the last 2 years to because you didn't feel like waiting around for the work stoppage to be over, unlike every single other player in the sport.

He's the best basketball player of all time, I've always thought that, but clearly not motivated by any team-first mentality with those decisions. And yes, great players, ego, selfish, drive to win, all that. That's why he's correct when he says he shouldn't be a role model to kids.

You know there are bad hot takes on Texags and then there are the ones that I can't imagine are being. Made with a straight face. This falls into the latter.

First of all, the White Sox didn't even have to sign him let alone bump him directly into AA if they didn't really want him in their organization no matter what.

And secondly, the coach thing? Guarantee if you went to any of those coaches, they wouldn't view it as Jordan took them for a ride at the behest of player development. This would be likened to getting to meet the President but then after the fact complain about how much it costs the local taxpayers to accommodate the President coming to your town therefore giving you sort of a once in a lifetime story.
Fat Bib Fortuna
ATM9000 said:

And secondly, the coach thing? Guarantee if you went to any of those coaches, they wouldn't view it as Jordan took them for a ride at the behest of player development. This would be likened to getting to meet the President but then after the fact complain about how much it costs the local taxpayers to accommodate the President coming to your town therefore giving you sort of a once in a lifetime story.
That's funny because in 2002 I got to ask Terry Francona that very question when he was a coach for the Rangers and I was working as a sportswriter in Denton. He said that Jordan had been a great influence on the younger guys with his work ethic and desire to win, but when he left the the sport to go back to the Bulls, it was a slap in the face to the people who had put in so much of their time to help him when they were legitimate pro prospects on that team that could have also benefited from all that time spent.

country
AG
I thought the documentary did exactly what it set out to do. It showed that at the professional level, everyone is equal athletically. The mind is what separates the greats from everyone else. Jordan said it himself over and over....the greats do whatever it takes to win all the time. If that means they have a career of being an ass, then that's what they do. At the end of the day the general public doesn't applaud athletes because of how nice they are, they applaud them for their accomplishments. Jordan had about the most intense will to win every day that you will ever find. Athletically, that puts him at the top of the mountain.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.