ESPN's Michael Jordan Doc moved up to April

59,639 Views | 648 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Petrino1
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Know Your Enemy
AG
TCTTS
AG
Straight up cried at the end of episode eight.
johnnyblaze36
AG
Is this the best SPORTS doc ever made? I've never watched Ken Burns' "Baseball" simply by fault of my own but I can't think of a better one I've seen.

I love a ton of the 30 for 30s, especially "Celtics/Lakers Best of Enemies" (as a massive fan of Bird...and begrudgingly Magic) but this feels like it's all just next level stuff.
TCTTS
AG
While so far this is my favorite sports doc ever, I would argue that the 2016 OJ:. Made in America doc, also from ESPN, is still potentially the best. Simply because of the way it incorporated, and its subject matter even defined at times, the broader cultural landscape. Honestly, I don't think I've ever seen *any* documentary as staggeringly good as that one. But man, this one comes damn close.
johnnyblaze36
AG
Oh I did love that one. I wasn't thinking of it in the sense of as much of a sports documentary when scrolling through the mental rolodex although I suppose I should have.

I just saw this clip and thought how crazy fate can be. This guy gives Jordan a ride and now in the doc he's described as his career "personal assistant and best friend". What impeccable timing.

TCTTS
AG
Ha, that's incredible. I had no idea.

And yeah, I guess, technically, the first hour of the OJ doc is the only true sports part, though the subject is obviously bubbling beneath the surface throughout. That, and it *did* air on ESPN. But I can definitely see it being a gray area overall, and maybe not even in the same category as something like this.
aggiedata
AG
Petrino1
The only negative thing for me is the jumping around of timelines in the episodes. Its a little hard to follow at times when they jump from one NBA finals to another one years earlier.
Bruce Almighty
AG
This and The U are 1a and 1b for sports documentaries. It's hard to compare 10 hours to 3 though.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Personal ranking:

1. Hoop Dreams
2. O.J.: Made in America
3. When We Were Kings
4. Baseball
5: The Last Dance (and this is just on the 8 episodes aired, could rise/drop depending on how it finishes)
Quad Dog
AG
The best chance we have at beating this thing.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Head Ninja In Charge said:

Personal ranking:

1. Hoop Dreams
2. O.J.: Made in America
3. When We Were Kings
4. Baseball
5: The Last Dance (and this is just on the 8 episodes aired, could rise/drop depending on how it finishes)

Agree with hoop dreams as #1. Don't think anything will ever top that for me. I think the Last Dance is probably #2 for me though. I've loved all of it.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

Agree with hoop dreams as #1. Don't think anything will ever top that for me. I think the Last Dance is probably #2 for me though. I've loved all of it.

JimboFlyFisher
AG
Watched the last 3 minutes of Episode 7 a few times in a row. Damn good stuff.

"Winning has a price. Leadership has a price."
Big Al 1992
AG
TCTTS
AG
I nearly choked on my PBJ. Incredible.
dcAg
Its not a documentary. It is a commercial for MJ because he is so pissed that Lebron is getting so much publicity and is now know as the greatest.

MJ is a bully...to EVERYONE. How many times did he even mention a wife compared to how many times he mentioned Bird and Magic?

Great highlights for a guy that isnt a 50% shooter from the field and less that 33% from behind the 3 point arc.
Rick Dalton
AG
Lebron is now known as the GOAT?
SACR
AG

Jordans stans on here are now coming for you....
snowdog90
dcAg said:

Its not a documentary. It is a commercial for MJ because he is so pissed that Lebron is getting so much publicity and is now know as the greatest.

MJ is a bully...to EVERYONE. How many times did he even mention a wife compared to how many times he mentioned Bird and Magic?

Great highlights for a guy that isnt a 50% shooter from the field and less that 33% from behind the 3 point arc.

Is this for real? Are you serious with this garbage?

First, who cares why this documentary came out? It is the best thing that's been on tv in months and one of the best documentaries I've ever seen.

So now LeBron is "know" as the greatest? Really? I think not. In fact, most "experts" continue to say that Jordan is the greatest ever and those that don't are probably looking for ratings.

As I already opined in this thread, LeBron isn't even close to Jordan. LeBron is EASILY the most prolific and efficient traveller of all time, thanks to the obvious recent stance by the NBA that highlights are more important than rules.

And you're trying to malign Jordan with stats? STATS? Are you kidding? Here's a stat for you. Other than Jordan, 5 guys have won the scoring title and the championship in the same year. They each did it 1 time. Jordan did it 6 times.

You want to question his methods, call him a bully, feel free. He's not a tennis player. He couldn't be the greatest and automatically win championships. He had to rely on teammates to win championships. After years of being called the greatest by people like Larry Bird, but still not winning, he started demanding that his teammates work as hard as he did.

The results speak for themselves. As for your pathetic attempts to somehow claim Jordan is overrated, it's just laughable. Sadly, I couldn't just laugh at it, I had to waste time arguing the obvious to someone who isn't rational enough to see what's obvious.
Stive
AG
While I agree with you regarding Jordan being the best, your continued use of "traveling" to help justify that point comes across as comical and cartoonish.
ac04
lebron's 2011 finals disqualify him from GOAT talk. jordan never would have let that happen.
FaceMask
ac04 said:

lebron's 2011 finals disqualify him from GOAT talk. jordan never would have let that happen.

Jordan's Bulls team during the 6 year Championship stretch NEVER lost more than 2 games in a row. Let that sink in. He hated losing.
Marauder Blue 6
AG
Jordan was a leader who elevated everyone around him to win championships. Lebron just takes his talents elsewhere b/c he can't do the same.
Stive
AG
Not arguing for Lebron but you could actually argue that his first title appearance puts him ahead of Jordan in the all time category. He was the only player on that Cleveland team that was worth anything and he took them to the finals: Jordan never came close to that early in his career without Pippen and Grant/Rodman.

I'm also in the camp that James' title with Cleveland was more impressive than any of Jordan's. I don't think Kyrie and Love will ever be considered in the same category as Pippen and Rodman, nor do I think any of Jordan's opponents were in the same lofty category as the Warriors were when the Cavs won.

They're simply two different, awesome, players. James will likely retire as the all time scoring leader, with far more assists and rebounds. Jordan will have more championships, individual MVPs, final's MVPs, two three-peats, etc.

Sport's arguments are fun.

Disclaimer: having watched them both, I think Jordan is the best. But when it's over, there will be numbers on both sides justifying both.
Heisenberg01
AG
Might as well getting whipped by the Spurs to that as well. You think Jordan in his prime would lose a series 4-1 by an average differential of 14 points with Wade and Bosh on his team? Jordan never had an NBA Finals even go to a game 7.
Stive
AG
James didn't quit mid-career to go play a sport he'd hadn't played since junior high.

James had some weird disappearances against the Spurs and the Mavericks. Jordan had a weird disappearance from the entire sport for 18 months.

And Jordan (with Pippen) lost 4-2 to Penny and Shaq in their 2nd and 3rd years in the league. I don't think anyone would put that Magic team in the same category as the Duncan/Ginobili/Parker/Pop Spurs.
Know Your Enemy
AG
The East was straight trash at the time. Getting to the Finals wasn't some Herculean feat. Winning it would have been.
Heisenberg01
AG
Stive said:

James didn't quit mid-career to go play a sport he'd hadn't played since junior high.

James had some weird disappearances against the Spurs and the Mavericks. Jordan had a weird disappearance from the entire sport for 18 months.

LeBron also didn't have his father murdered.
Stive
AG
Agree. But there haven't been many cases that one player (especially that young) on a team carried his team to the finals.

And to flip it around, most people in the early-mid 90's thought the West was a joke, so if Jordan could get through the East he was going to win it all. To his credit he did during 6 out of 7 years he played during that stretch.

I said it above but I'll repeat it: Jordan is the best. But people who just role their eyes and laugh about Lebron being considered great aren't looking at the entire career. He's a freak of nature physically (so was Kareem, so was Shaq, so was Chamberlain), in ways he's a more rounded player than Jordan and he has some Herculean feats on his resume as well.
Stive
AG
Lots of pro players lose their fathers, mothers, siblings, etc without quitting their sport and going to play something else. I'm not discounting the death but his reaction was weird.

And according to the documentary, he had talked about doing the baseball thing to one of the writers they interviewed months before his father was killed.
AgShaun00
AG
Stive said:

Lots of pro players lose their fathers, mothers, siblings, etc without quitting their sport and going to play something else. I'm not discounting the death but his reaction was weird.

And according to the documentary, he had talked about doing the baseball thing to one of the writers they interviewed months before his father was killed.
i think that was the final straw. This has shown the wear and tear it had on him and he wsa mentally exhausted. I couldn't imagine trying to live in his world of being "ON" all the time.
Heisenberg01
AG
Stive said:

Agree. But there haven't been many cases that one player (especially that young) on a team carried his team to the finals.

And to flip it around, most people in the early-mid 90's thought the West was a joke, so if Jordan could get through the East he was going to win it all. To his credit he did during 6 out of 7 years he played during that stretch.

I said it above but I'll repeat it: Jordan is the best. But people who just role their eyes and laugh about Lebron being considered great aren't looking at the entire career. He's a freak of nature physically (so was Kareem, so was Shaq, so was Chamberlain), in ways he's a more rounded player than Jordan and he has some Herculean feats on his resume as well.

No way is he a more rounded player than Jordan. Jordan won a defensive player of the year award, something LeBron never did. Jordan also had better offensive rebounds per game numbers. LeBron has better assist numbers, but Jordan was far and away a better scorer. And Jordan was the ultimate winner. Check the number of 82 game seasons between the two. LeBron did it once and then missed significant playing time the next season. Jordan played 82 nine times, 81 once, and 80 once. He never missed time. It was a different time in that they didn't sit out back to backs, but it was also far more physical and demanding in that era.
SACR
AG
FaceMask said:

ac04 said:

Jordan's Bulls team during the 6 year Championship stretch NEVER lost more than 2 games in a row. Let that sink in. He hated losing.
Game 5 and 6 in 1995 don't count?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.