ESPN's Michael Jordan Doc moved up to April

59,677 Views | 648 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Petrino1
redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
For anyone that is interested, here is a collection of stories about Jordan's time in the minors. Nothing earth-shattering, but a nice addendum to this series.

It is a pay site, but they might have a 90 free trial going right now
https://theathletic.com/1785607/2020/05/04/hooping-with-his-airness-tales-from-michael-jordans-time-in-fall-ball
s13fenton
I second this article. It gives a lot of first hand stories from several of Jordan's teammates in the Arizona Fall League. The Sunday pickup game stories are awesome, as well as all of the celebrities these guys were introduced to just by being on Jordan's team. It's a pretty cool read seeing how Jordan was so appreciative to these guys, and to this day still keeps in touch with a few of them. Also Terry Francona was his manager during that three month stint which I found interesting.
k20dub
AG
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
It's because this **** is FIRE.
CoppellAg93
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

The Kevin Johnson dunk on Hakeem was way more impressive and rarely mentioned.
Hakeem got him back though ....

redline248
AG
For all you "Rockets wouldn't have beat the Bulls in 95" believers, just watch the first 3 mins of this

Bruce Almighty
AG
Bingo! They didn't lose because of a rusty Jordan that took a year and a half off. They lost because they had no front court. If he doesn't retire, they may beat the Rockets in 94, but they don't beat the Rockets in 95 with a 190 pound Kukoc playing power foward.
Stive
AG
Haha....it doesn't matter.

The rockets will forever be looked at as the asterisk team outside of Houston due to Jordan's retirement.
snowdog90
Regarding 94 95 Bulls, this is all hypothetical. In the world where Jordan stays, I don't think the Bulls let Horace Grant go to Orlando.
snowdog90
Pretty cool video showing some amazing and unique Jordan trivia.

jenn96
AG
I am absolutely loving this series. I was a junior in high school when Jordan won his first title, and this series brings it all back. I was never a Bulls fan but he was so much fun to watch. The soundtrack is perfect, the past-forward format should be annoying but so far is working perfectly. Like someone said upthread, I could watch 20 episodes happily.

Not gonna lie though, I'm dreading the next episode/s where they re-live James' murder. That's going to be rough. All rumors aside, Jordan loved his dad so much. And if they show his mom talking about "Mr Jordan" I'm going to lose it.
SACR
AG
I completely missed that Jordan and Barkley had a falling out.

Link

If it really is because Jordan was upset about Barkley's criticism of him as GM, Jordan is incredibly thin-skinned. That's pretty pathetic.
ATM9000
AG
SACR said:

Link

If it really is because Jordan was upset about Barkley's criticism of him as GM, Jordan is incredibly thin-skinned. That's pretty pathetic.

I dunno... I know it is Barkley's job, but I'm sure you'd feel pretty betrayed and throw a cold shoulder if your friend or relative publicly started saying you were terrible at your job too even if it was true.
Fat Bib Fortuna
Stive said:

Haha....it doesn't matter.

The rockets will forever be looked at as the asterisk team outside of Houston due to Jordan's retirement.

That's ok with me, just shows how stupid people are.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
aTmAg said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Well since we're thumping our chests about our team's titles, y'all Houston fans enjoy your 2 trophies while I enjoy the Spurs' 5.
T&P for living in SA.

Fun fact: Many fans don't live in the city of the teams they support.
SACR
AG
ATM9000 said:

SACR said:

Link

I dunno... I know it is Barkley's job, but I'm sure you'd feel pretty betrayed and throw a cold shoulder if your friend or relative publicly started saying you were terrible at your job too even if it was true.
Your friends are supposed to tell you the truth.

Given that Jordan has gone from basketball operations to managing general partner and the team still hasn't done anything, Barkley did him a favor and told him the truth.

Jordan shouldn't be so thin-skinned.
ATM9000
AG
SACR said:

ATM9000 said:

SACR said:

Link

Your friends are supposed to tell you the truth.

Given that Jordan has gone from basketball operations to managing general partner and the team still hasn't done anything, Barkley did him a favor and told him the truth.

Jordan shouldn't be so thin-skinned.

They should tell YOU the truth... but you are a **** friend if you tell the world the truth but avoid the subject with you face to face,

Barkley told the world the truth, he didn't tell Jordan the truth. So again, even if you sucked at your job, you'd almost definitely feel betrayed and be just as thin skinned if your friend went to your place of work, wrote a mass email declaring you sucked and all the reasons you sucked and cc'd you on it to 'tell you the truth'... because that's what Barkley effectively did.
SACR
AG
Okay.
SACR
AG
Okay.
Seven Costanza
AG
ATM9000 said:

Barkley told the world the truth, he didn't tell Jordan the truth. So again, even if you sucked at your job, you'd almost definitely feel betrayed and be just as thin skinned if your friend went to your place of work, wrote a mass email declaring you sucked and all the reasons you sucked and cc'd you on it to 'tell you the truth'... because that's what Barkley effectively did.
I think this is a totally different situation. Players, coaches, and GMs are public figures that are expected to be openly discussed and criticized. The TV analysts are paid to publicly give their thoughts on what they see.
Bruce Almighty
AG
snowdog90 said:

Regarding 94 95 Bulls, this is all hypothetical. In the world where Jordan stays, I don't think the Bulls let Horace Grant go to Orlando.

Possibly, but that also means no Harper or Rodman. All those years with the same group of guys, things get stale, maybe motivation decreases and the league figures then out. Even with the greatest player ever, I have a hard time believing any team in any sport can win 8 straight. Bill Russell did it, but that was an era with less than 10 teams. 8 years, 32 playoff series, someone beats them.
ATM9000
AG
Seven Costanza said:

ATM9000 said:

I think this is a totally different situation. Players, coaches, and GMs are public figures that are expected to be openly discussed and criticized. The TV analysts are paid to publicly give their thoughts on what they see.

Right... but if he never said any of that to his friend's face which all indications are he didn't, even if you are laid to give your thoughts (which all indicators seem to be that's the case), then that's pretty ****ty.
Southlake
Bruce Almighty said:

ConroeAg said:

The Starks dunk was amazing, no doubt, but for anyone to say that it was "on Jordan" is a stretch.

First Starks shook off Armstrong, who was guarding him, then Grant came over to play help D and tried to block it and got dunked on for sure. Jordan was coming down from the key with Grant between him and Starks. He was trailing, and was close enough to have almost had a chance to block it, but he wasn't ever between Starks and the basket. Just watch it again from multiple angles.

Wishful thinking from Knicks fans and/or Jordan haters, but it's easily verifiable in replays.
100% agree! Starks dunked on Grant, not Jordan.
He dunked on both of them. Jordan was also the Defensive MVP that year.

I've always been an MJ fan. Grew up with him, but the dunk was nasty. Sorry.
aTmAg
AG
Southlake said:

Bruce Almighty said:

ConroeAg said:

The Starks dunk was amazing, no doubt, but for anyone to say that it was "on Jordan" is a stretch.

First Starks shook off Armstrong, who was guarding him, then Grant came over to play help D and tried to block it and got dunked on for sure. Jordan was coming down from the key with Grant between him and Starks. He was trailing, and was close enough to have almost had a chance to block it, but he wasn't ever between Starks and the basket. Just watch it again from multiple angles.

Wishful thinking from Knicks fans and/or Jordan haters, but it's easily verifiable in replays.

You talking about this?

If so, then I have no idea what you are seeing there. You might as well say he dunked on Phil Jackson too if we are going to be so arbitrary with the word "on".
Fat Bib Fortuna
It always strikes me as weird that 7 ft 1 patrick ewing was the least tough guy in the bulls starting 5.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Southlake said:

Bruce Almighty said:

ConroeAg said:

100% disagree. Watch the replay. Jordan was behind Grant and was blocked off from Starks.
Know Your Enemy
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

It always strikes me as weird that 7 ft 1 patrick ewing was the least tough guy in the bulls starting 5.

When was Ewing in the Bulls starting 5?
Bruce Almighty
AG
Junkhead said:

MuckRaker96 said:

When was Ewing in the Bulls starting 5?

Considering Muck has an inability to ever post anything that's even remotely serious, my guess is it's some kind of Bill Cartwright joke that nobody gets.
ConroeAg
You're clearly not paying attention.
Big Al 1992
AG
Appears to be much darker episodes tonight - the gambling, the murder, baseball, the spotlight.
FancyKetchup14
AG
Great episode so far. This just keeps getting better and better, and somehow MJ gets cooler and cooler.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Yep. I thought this whole thing was supposed to make me hate Michael Jordan.
AgShaun00
AG
Wow. Another home run. Pun intended. The scene Ching was emotional,
toucan82
R.I.P. Gary Payton
ac04
"when people see this they may say, 'well, he wasn't really a nice guy. he may have been a tyrant.' well, that's you, because you never won anything."

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.