ESPN's Michael Jordan Doc moved up to April

59,740 Views | 648 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Petrino1
claym711
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Remember when Lebron took himself out of a Finals elimination game down the stretch in Miami and watched the end of the game with a towel because it was hot in the arena?
Know Your Enemy
AG
https://instagr.am/p/B_ktcE2lvTy
A New Hope
aTmAg said:

Fedup said:

His hall of fame speech was one of the most pompous self promoting Monologues I've ever heard. I felt sorry for his children. I don't care how great of a ball player he was, he's a pos and Terrible father.
How was he a terrible father? I'm ignorant of this.
Watch the speech and decide whether he talked down to his kids. You decide. If your a father and don't lift your kids up everyday, you're a pos. That's my opinion. If I told my kids, they could never equal what I achieved, people would think I'm a scumbag and they'd be right. Watch the video.

Bruce Almighty
AG
Fedup said:

aTmAg said:

Fedup said:

His hall of fame speech was one of the most pompous self promoting Monologues I've ever heard. I felt sorry for his children. I don't care how great of a ball player he was, he's a pos and Terrible father.
Watch the speech and decide whether he talked down to his kids. You decide. If your a father and don't lift your kids up everyday, you're a pos. That's my opinion. If I told my kids, they could never equal what I achieved, people would think I'm a scumbag and they'd be right. Watch the video.

I just watched the speech and have no idea what you're talking about.
redline248
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

Fedup said:

aTmAg said:

Fedup said:

I just watched the speech and have no idea what you're talking about.
I also watched it. He's talking about when Mike said "I wouldn't want to have the expectations y'all are gonna have."

Calling him a POS for that is quite a take. Does Mike have an ego? Yes. Is what he said, which I interpreted as him saying "y'all will have to be stronger than I am" a terrible thing for a parent to say to his kids? I don't think so, but I guess others feel differently.
SACR
AG
thepartygoat said:

The only person that comes close to sniffing Jordan's win at all cost attitude is Kobe. I've never been a fan of the Lakers nor will ever be. But real recognize real, Mamba mentality is it. Lebron is a great player but IMO lacks the killer instinct to go for the juggular.

Kobe stole the Black Mamba nickname from DeAnthony Thomas, who was nicknamed by Snoop Dogg as a youth football player. You can't give yourself a nickname, and receiving a nickname from Snoop is as legit as it gets.
SACR
AG
Anyone who thinks he has dropped a peg or been diminished hasn't been paying attention to Nike sales. Jumpman23 and Jordan brand is like Gucci in the ghetto. Nike pays Jordan $100 million a year right now, and you can argue they're underpaying him.
aTmAg
AG
Fedup said:

aTmAg said:

Fedup said:

I too watched it and have no idea what you are talking about.
aTmAg
AG
Fedup said:

aTmAg said:

Fedup said:

I too watched it and have no idea what you are talking about. Seems to me that a good father would encourage kids to try hard in life not pretend they will be successful no matter what. The participation trophy has ruined a generation of kids.
BigHitterDaLama

Southlake
Back in the day, the only guys who wore basketball shoes when not actually playing hoops were players who's sneaks had worn out and got ones. It was rare for anybody to have more than one pair of sneaks. You could actually tell who the players were by who wore basketball kicks casually.

Then came Air Jordans and wearing basketball shoes for casual style became the rage. Other basketball apparel, mainly with the Air Jordan logo followed suit (pun intended). This blossomed Addidas, Converse etc. to try to match Nike, but nobody could touch Nike and Air Jordan. Even the poor found a way to wear expensive Nike products. Stories of mugging and murders to steal Air Jordans were frequent. Welfare lines included kids wearing 150.00 Nike's. Nike running shoes were also way ahead of the game, assisted by the Nike craze. Back then, New Balance and Brooks were a distant second.

I'm just rambling.

Ok. Boomer.
BigHitterDaLama
Southlake said:

Back in the day, the only guys who wore basketball shoes when not actually playing hoops were players who's sneaks had worn out and got ones. It was rare for anybody to have more than one pair of sneaks. You could actually tell who the players were by who wore basketball kicks casually.

Then came Air Jordans and wearing basketball shoes for casual style became the rage. Other basketball apparel, mainly with the Air Jordan logo followed suit (pun intended). This blossomed Addidas, Converse etc. to try to match Nike, but nobody could touch Nike and Air Jordan. Even the poor found a way to wear expensive Nike products. Stories of mugging and murders to steal Air Jordans were frequent. Welfare lines included kids wearing 150.00 Nike's. Nike running shoes were also way ahead of the game, assisted by the Nike craze. Back then, New Balance and Brooks were a distant second.

I'm just rambling.

Ok. Boomer.

aggiepaintrain
AG
BigHitterDaLama said:

Best.Ever.Any.Sport

Southlake
^
Except Secretariat.
snowdog90
I've been slacking on this thread but just read the last few pages. I've got some **** to say.

1. The poster saying MJ is a terrible person and father... Wow. I will just say, in lieu of a ban, I have noted that poster and will ignore his obviously useless opinions in the future.

2. LeBron is not, never was, and never will be in MJ's league. NEVER. LeBron is NOT more skilled. His one advantage over Jordan is that he's bigger, which naturally leads to more rebounds... That's it. Does he get more assists? Yes, because MJ put the burden of winning on his own back. If he'd wanted to, he could have averaged 10 assists per game, but he wanted to win, and he was the greatest scorer ever so he shot more than passed.

2a. Just to reiterate the thoughts from 2 above... If LeBron is so ****ing skilled, why does he have to travel 20 times a game to average less than Jordan did???

I know, I know, old white dude doesn't like traveling. And "everybody does it"... JORDAN DID NOT!! He got 2 steps just like everyone else back then. And he averaged 38, 35, 32. Night in, night out, he was unstoppable.

I've seen espn show game highlights where half of LeBron's clips were obvious travels -like 10-15 points a game. IT'S A JOKE!! When a player is given 3 and 4 steps to make a basket, that is HUGE!! How do you defend that?

DEFENDER PLAYING LEBRON: Ok, here he comes, going left, one step, two step, now he has to shoot or pass... Oh I guess he had 2 more steps and then a dunk. My bad.

And again, do not say this started with MJ. He did not travel constantly. I was telling my youngest son that watching highlights of players does not really show the greatness of players... So we sat down and watched 2 games... Cowboys Lions, Barry and Emmit, and the Jordan Flu game. He was blown away by Jordan, as I knew he would be.

If you haven't, you should watch or re-watch that game. Being a sappy, nostalgic sports lover, I can't watch it without tearing up. I can't wait to hear MJ talk about this game in the Last Dance. Here he was, obviously should be in bed, absolutely nothing to prove, and he basically wins the game for his team.

He just COULD NOT, WOULD NOT lose. Not to say he never lost, he obviously did, but his combined talent and will to win will never be matched.

And as my son and i watched that flu game, I was paying careful attention to what Jordan got away with, especially traveling. And I was shocked. He used two steps. That's it. He didn't constantly travel, and still, past his athletic prime, ravaged by the flu, AND WITH ONLY 2 STEPS, he could not be stopped. In Utah, series tied 2-2, crucial game 5, Jordan takes and makes the game-winning shot, scores 37 or 38, and basically has to be carried off the court after the game.

Maybe there will be another Jordan someday. I cannot fathom it. And it damn sure ain't LeBron.

Rant over. Here's a cool Barkley video.

Edit: And Pippen on the Flu game.
aTmAg
AG
One thing this show don't even address was the NBA all stars vs USA games prior to 1984 Olympics. That USA team was a bunch of college players and a few recently drafted (yet to play) NBA players like Jordan and Ewing. The NBA all stars included Magic, Bird, Thomas, McHale, Walton, Ainge, Parrish, Worthy, and Drexler in their prime. The NBA team should have destroyed the Olympic team, but lost all 8. And it wasn't like the NBA players didn't care. They may have gone through the motions in the first game or two, but my the end they were hungry.
91_Aggie
AG
Do they interview Houston Rockets' players and coaches who just give thanks and praise to Jordan for retiring for 2 seasons so they could win 2 championships*?
Fat Bib Fortuna
aTmAg said:

One thing this show don't even address was the NBA all stars vs USA games prior to 1984 Olympics. That USA team was a bunch of college players and a few recently drafted (yet to play) NBA players like Jordan and Ewing. The NBA all stars included Magic, Bird, Thomas, McHale, Walton, Ainge, Parrish, Worthy, and Drexler in their prime. The NBA team should have destroyed the Olympic team, but lost all 8. And it wasn't like the NBA players didn't care. They may have gone through the motions in the first game or two, but my the end they were hungry.
They mentioned that he became a superstar during the Olympics and that if the Olympics had taken place before the draft, he would have been the #1 pick. Hilariously, Charles Barkley was cut from the team because he and Knight didn't get along, and then Knight cut John Stockton in the final round of cuts to put his own guy Steve Alford on the team.

Binged episodes 2-4 last night. Three observations that I realize really date me (46)

1. I cared about 10,000% more about the NBA in the 1980s and 1990s than I do now.
2. I'd give anything to have a team like the Bad Boy Pistons rise again.
3. I hate the Jazz so freaking much and one of the greatest joys of my sports-watching life was when Malone jumped to the Lakers to try and win a title and the Pistons beat their asses down.
Fat Bib Fortuna
91_Aggie said:

Do they interview Houston Rockets' players and coaches who just give thanks and praise to Jordan for retiring for 2 seasons so they could win 2 championships*?
The Rockets wanted to play Jordan and the Bulls in the 1995 Finals, but unfortunately His Airness and company got their asses beat by the Orlando Magic in the Eastern Conference Semifinals in 6 games.

If you are struggling to remember your history, that's a Magic team that Houston swept in the Finals.
Know Your Enemy
AG
That wasn't Jordan at 100%. Not even close. But if that makes you feel better about the Rockets winning then by all means you believe it.
Mr. White
sports fight!!!!
JDUB08AG
AG
Here we go
Fat Bib Fortuna
Junkhead said:

That wasn't Jordan at 100%. Not even close. But if that makes you feel better about the Rockets winning then by all means you believe it.
25 years of idiots stomping their foot in the ground about Michael Jordan not being at 100%. That's his ****ing problem, not the rest of the league's. The Rockets beat every team in front of them that year, just like every team before them that has ever won a title.
redline248
AG
Junkhead said:

You mean like when he wasn't 100% with the flu?
Bruce Almighty
AG
Lol at Jordan no being 100% when he had a 50 point game that season. That Jordan team lost because they had no front court. If Jordan played the entire season, they still would have lost.
Know Your Enemy
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

Junkhead said:

25 years of idiots stomping their foot in the ground about Michael Jordan not being at 100%. That's his ****ing problem, not the rest of the league's. The Rockets beat every team in front of them that year, just like every team before them that has ever won a title.

Thump your chest all you want about winning a title when he wasn't at his best. That's the only way the Rockets would've won a title.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

Lol at Jordan no being 100% when he had a 50 point game that season. That Jordan team lost because they had no front court. If Jordan played the entire season, they still would have lost.

One 50 point game means he was at his best? Is your real name John Wooden? You sound like you know things.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Junkhead said:

Bruce Almighty said:

One 50 point game means he was at his best? Is your real name John Wooden? You sound like you know things.

He averaged 31 points against the Magic. Again, they lost because they had no front court. Jordan isn't God. Like all great players, he needs help, and that Bulls teams wasn't the same as the 6 title teams.
aTmAg
AG
All I know is that I was pissed at OJ for having his chase during that Rockets run.
Fat Bib Fortuna
Junkhead said:

MuckRaker96 said:

Junkhead said:

Thump your chest all you want about winning a title when he wasn't at his best. That's the only way the Rockets would've won a title.
What color is the sky in your world?
Know Your Enemy
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

Junkhead said:

MuckRaker96 said:

Junkhead said:

What color is the sky in your world?

Gold, *****.

Fat Bib Fortuna
In the Rodman episode, I really enjoyed the on-the-bench defensive strategy talk between MJ and Rodman. Really cool to see 2 of the best defenders of all time talking strategy in game. I could watch Rodman defensive highlights all day long.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Well since we're thumping our chests about our team's titles, y'all Houston fans enjoy your 2 trophies while I enjoy the Spurs' 5.
aTmAg
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Well since we're thumping our chests about our team's titles, y'all Houston fans enjoy your 2 trophies while I enjoy the Spurs' 5.
T&P for living in SA.
Fat Bib Fortuna
Brian Earl Spilner said:

4* - shortened season and Patrick Ewing was not at 100%

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.