ESPN's Michael Jordan Doc moved up to April

59,579 Views | 648 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Petrino1
Canyon99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sex Panther said:

I'm not a huge sneaker head, but I certainly have an appreciation for Jordan's. In my opinion he's got the two best of all time:

Jordan 1

https://www.highsnobiety.com/p/air-jordan-1-guide/

Jordan 3 - The GOAT

https://www.highsnobiety.com/p/air-jordan-3-guide/

Complete Air Jordan History

The III's are as good as it gets. I had a friend in junior high that had the III's and I was jealous as hell. I had the VI's and now my 15 year old is at a loss as to why I didn't keep them. He and I are watching this together and his jaw dropped when they showed the dribble between the legs and fade over Bird in the 86 playoffs. He is confused why there are only 10 parts to this series.

Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Jordan is better than Hakeem.
No Rockets fan has ever lost sleep over taking Hakeem first in that draft.
The Bulls would not have won 8 straight.*

*They didn't even win 4 straight when Jordan looked like peak Jordan in the 95 playoffs, but still got mopped by young Shaq/Penny.
M.C. Swag
AG
Head Ninja In Charge said:

Jordan is better than Hakeem.
No Rockets fan has ever lost sleep over taking Hakeem first in that draft.
The Bulls would not have won 8 straight.*

*They didn't even win 4 straight when Jordan looked like peak Jordan in the 95 playoffs, but still got mopped by young Shaq/Penny.
That magic team was my childhood team. I had posters all over of shaq and penny in my room.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
So here's a dicussion I had with my brother yesterday. If they hadn't broken up the Bulls in 98, how would they have done against the Spurs in the 99 Finals?

Rodman says they wouldn've won in 99 easily, but I think that's a bit of shade to a great 99 Spurs team. Sure, Spurs had no way to stop Jordan, but they could neutralize the rest of the team like they did to the Heat in those finals series.

And you never discount a Pop-coached team.

Thoughts?

Edit: I guess for this thought experiment, let's assume Kerr still gets traded to the Spurs in 99.
AgShaun00
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

So here's a dicussion I had with my brother yesterday. If they hadn't broken up the Bulls in 98, how would they have done against the Spurs in the 99 Finals?

Rodman says they wouldn've won in 99 easily, but I think that's a bit of shade to a great 99 Spurs team. Sure, Spurs had no way to stop Jordan, but they could neutralize the rest of the team like they did to the Heat in those finals series.

And you never discount a Pop-coached team.

Thoughts?
spurs had the low post game mismatch. TD and Admiral advantage over the bulls. 1-3, bulls had advantage. That would have been an amazing series to watch.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
The Bulls would have crushed the Spurs. What a terrible Finals that one was. In 5 games, only once was a team able to muster up more than 90 points. The Spurs were well-coached and were great on defense, but if the Bulls were intact, they were even better coached and better defensively. Shocked the Spurs didn't sweep because that Knicks team was kind of trash. They were 4 games above .500 and made it to the Finals.
Fat Bib Fortuna
99 Bulls only having to play a 50 game regular season would have run over the Spurs in the Finals. Over-the-hill Mario Elie vs. Jordan? Sean Elliott trying to guard PIppen when he plays point forward? And veteran Rodman vs. rookie Tim Duncan would have been really interesting. Ducan was a great rookie and became an all-time great, but Rodman knew every trick in the book on how to disrupt a big guy.

The real matchup that would have decided that series would have been the Will Perdue vs. Bill Wenngton.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Bruce Almighty
AG
As far as the hypothetical matchup between the Rockets and Bulls, 94 would have been a 7 game slug fest. I'd probably take the Bulls because they'd likely have home court advantage, but it would have been Jordan's toughest competition. In 95, assuming the Bulls get past the Magic, I think the Rockets win easily. Hakeem was at his peak in the playoffs that year, Drexler was a huge addition, making the Rockets a better team than the previous season and the Bulls were worse. The problem with the Bulls that year wasn't Jordan's "rust", it was a very weak front court caused by the loss of Horace Grant. There's a reason Rodman was so pivotal the next season.
Stive
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

As far as the hypothetical matchup between the Rockets and Bulls, 94 would have been a 7 game slug fest. I'd probably take the Bulls because they'd likely have home court advantage, but it would have been Jordan's toughest competition. In 95, assuming the Bulls get past the Magic, I think the Rockets win easily. Hakeem was at his peak in the playoffs that year, Drexler was a huge addition, making the Rockets a better team than the previous season and the Bulls were worse. The problem with the Bulls that year wasn't Jordan's "rust", it was a very weak front court caused by the loss of Horace Grant. There's a reason Rodman was so pivotal the next season.

I agree with this and I'm not a Rockets fan.

That gap between Grant and Rodman would have been exposed during the '95 run. I'd lean towards Jordan during the '94 season though.
BigHitterDaLama
My only pair is O.G. 4s, which are the greatest IMO.....wear am a few times a year

TCTTS
AG
Love those.
Sex Panther
AG
Those are great, love the cement speckle
AW 1880
AG
Pretty sure I traded my Jordan 6's for a pair timberland boots in sixth grade.
Sex Panther
AG
AW 1880 said:

Pretty sure I traded my Jordan 6's for a pair timberland boots in sixth grade.

snowdog90
I was at Sam's Boat in Houston for Knicks Rockets game 7. For good luck I had my black Bulls hat on, since Jordan historically owned the Knicks (and everyone else). The atmosphere when Houston won that night was one of the most awesome experiences I've ever had.

Eventually, fans leaving the Summit and driving down Richmond were stuck in horrible traffic, but nobody cared. Sam's Boat was packed that night and when the game was over, everyone spilled out into the street and parking lot high-fiving everyone you made eye contact with, including people hanging out of car windows stuck in traffic.

And it was all so happy, no fires, no tipping over cars, just a city that was in a state of ecstasy. Everybody was your friend.

Having said all that, I don't believe the Rockets would have beaten Jordan. Magic couldn't. Clyde and an awesome Portland team couldn't. Payton and Kemp, Barkley and KJ, Stockton and Malone...

Jordan was/is other-worldly. Given Jordan was healthy and as driven as he always was, he and the Bulls win 8-10 championships in a row.

Just my opinion. We'll never know.
snowdog90
AgGrad99
AG

Quote:

Having said all that, I don't believe the Rockets would have beaten Jordan. Magic couldn't. Clyde and an awesome Portland team couldn't. Payton and Kemp, Barkley and KJ, Stockton and Malone...

Jordan was/is other-worldly. Given Jordan was healthy and as driven as he always was, he and the Bulls win 8-10 championships in a row.
You are correct.

The rockets were great, but the Bulls/Jordan were on another level.
Swarely
Looks like episodes 3-8 leaked.

Pretty funny that I don't want to be spoiled about stuff that happened 25 years ago.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Welp, I know what I'm doing all day tomorrow.
Gig-Em2003
AG
When did MJ become the undisputed GOAT? I recall it was still a debate well into the 90's and frankly don't know that it was a given until after 2nd 3-peat. But several people seem to think he was undisputed in early 90's after 1 or 2 titles. I know he was the best player in the league from rookie year on, but not GOAT right out of the gate.
TCTTS
AG
I'd say after he won his third championship. That, to me, sealed the deal.
snowdog90
Gig-Em2003 said:

When did MJ become the undisputed GOAT? I recall it was still a debate well into the 90's and frankly don't know that it was a given until after 2nd 3-peat. But several people seem to think he was undisputed in early 90's after 1 or 2 titles. I know he was the best player in the league from rookie year on, but not GOAT right out of the gate.

No. At least, this is not what I've said. Here is what I recall...

Jordan was SO GOOD that even while they were winning championships and MVP's Bird and Magic knew Jordan was better than them. Bird was quoted in SI in '86 or so as saying something like Jordan was the best player in the league/best he'd ever seen. '86. Bird already knew.

MANY sports writers gave Jordan Hell in the late 80's saying he would never win a championship for whatever reason - selfish, ball hog, etc. Then, he won in '91, beat Magic, and things started changing...

The '92 Dream Team was the greatest team ever assembled and there was no question who the leader of that team was. Jordan was the sun and the other 11 were planets orbiting around him... Bird, Magic, Barkley, Malone... Nobody was even close. Chuck Daly, coach of the Dream Team and the Pistons, was asked who he planned to start. He hemmed and hawed and talked about situations and matchups, and not sure... Then, he said, "Of course, God will start". Everybody knew who God was. '92.

Then Jordan did the unthinkable and "retired". By then, some were already calling him the best ever. Then he came back and won 3 more and there were few that were brave enough (stupid enough) to not call him the best ever.

I'm sure we'll see all this play out in the doc, curious to see if I remember correctly.

johnnyblaze36
AG
Gig-Em2003 said:

It's still not undisputed. Whose playing for second?

johnnyblaze36
AG
snowdog90 said:

Gig-Em2003 said:

The '92 Dream Team was the greatest team ever assembled and there was no question who the leader of that team was. Jordan was the sun and the other 11 were planets orbiting around him... Bird, Magic, Barkley, Malone... Nobody was even close.

So true. That was such a fun summer of collecting those McDonald's cups.
TCTTS
AG
Collecting those cups really was a "thing" that summer. I loved it. I can still remember the disappointment getting the ones you already had (it was always Laettner or Stockton), and then how excited I was once I finally completed the set. I still have all twelve in storage back home at my parents' house.
johnnyblaze36
AG
I got so pissed when I got Thunder Dan for the third time in a row.

Probably the most unhealthy summer of my life but well worth it. Until I took them all over to my friends house in college circa 1999 for a keg party trying to be cool and ended up with none of them. FML.

edit: I just checked and I don't see Dan Majerle on that Dream Team. Was he an alternate or something? I do remember getting bombarded with Stockton too and I'd get so mad.

And I remember they wouldn't let you request what you wanted even though I always tried. It was kinda cool I guess like opening a pack of cards and not knowing what you're going to get at the drive-thru window.

But if you got a Jordan or Bird or Magic you were so excited.

edit 2: I knew I wasn't crazy. They did make a Thunder Dan but it was years later and I swear it was all I would get. The cups were so much ****tier too.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DAN-MAJERLE-Team-USA-McDonalds-1994-Coke-NBA-Dream-Team-II-Plastic-Cup/283367235915?hash=item41fa00e14b:g:SpUAAOSw9D1cWdjb

edit 3: I found the full set I'm bidding on to replace what I lost. Unbelievable that it's stacked up in the form of a pyramid with Stockton on top.

[url=https://www.ebay.com/itm/USA-Basketball-1992-Olympic-DREAM-TEAM-ENITRE-SET-of-12-McDonalds-Cups/114192550167?hash=item1a96680917:gLcAAOSwYxBenJV9]https://www.ebay.com/itm/USA-Basketball-1992-Olympic-DREAM-TEAM-ENITRE-SET-of-12-McDonalds-Cups/114192550167?hash=item1a96680917:gLcAAOSwYxBenJV9[/url]
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
MJ being MJ:

Know Your Enemy
AG
Ten episodes isn't going to be near enough.
M.C. Swag
AG
Rodman is the man
AgShaun00
AG
Nope. Anyone watch the "details" on espn+
Sex Panther
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Rodman is the man

Walks out of the stadium drinking a Miller Lite, and promptly gets on a giant motorcycle and rides off... incredible
Know Your Enemy
AG
Man, I forgot how much I hated the ****ing Pistons back then. As Horace Grant described them "straight up *****es".
RichardSplet
Some of the best parts of tonight

FaceMask
Awesome series. Love it so far. Finished episode 5 (leaked), I like MJ more and more with each episode.

Edit: M.C. Swag is right. I don't know how to put spoilers on. My fault.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.