ESPN's Michael Jordan Doc moved up to April

59,614 Views | 648 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Petrino1
JCA1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I recall reading a story one time where after the 84 Olympics, Bobby Knight was talking to someone in the Portland front office. After coaching Jordan in the Olympics, he was adamant they should take Jordan. The Portland guy says "we have a shooting guard, we need a center." Knight's response "so play him at center but take f'n Michael Jordan."
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
breaking news...michael jackson is dead at 50.

/dark cloud
Potcake
AG
TCTTS said:

Who was more famous at their peak, Michael Jordan or Michael Jackson?

I would put Ali in that conversation.
Aust Ag
AG
I'm surprised this isn't on tonight.
TCTTS
AG
I have to say, I had resigned to possibly admitting that LeBron is the greatest of all time *if* he won a championship with the Lakers. Winning championships with three different teams over the course of a decade+, and performing at such a high level this late in his career, MIGHT have been enough to give him the edge in my book.

And this is coming from a MASSIVE Jordan fan as a kid. For years, I watched nearly every Bulls game on WGN, I had Air Jordans V-XII, all the VHS tapes (Come Fly with Me, Air Time, etc.), and Jordan posters covering my walls. I was OBSESSED.

That said, all it took was two hours last night to say...

*****THAT LEBRON NOISE.

Let LeBron win another championship. It still won't matter.

Jordan is and always will be the GOAT.
Know Your Enemy
AG
If LeBron has the same killer mentality as Jordan then he would be the GOAT. But he's not even close.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Here is my question. Who was the greater star at their peak, in their sport, Jordan or Tiger Woods?
TCTTS
AG
Jordan. He and Tiger revolutionized their sports equally, but basketball is far more popular than golf, so Jordan gets the edge.
Sex Panther
AG
Did Tiger play 18 with Bugs Bunny?

There's your answer
RebAg13
AG
JCA1 said:

I recall reading a story one time where after the 84 Olympics, Bobby Knight was talking to someone in the Portland front office. After coaching Jordan in the Olympics, he was adamant they should take Jordan. The Portland guy says "we have a shooting guard, we need a center." Knight's response "so play him at center but take f'n Michael Jordan."

Pretty sure the olympics were after the draft, but I've heard a similar quote.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yeah, but nobody below the age of 50 really cared about golf until Tiger. He WAS golf in the 90s/00s.

I don't think there's ever been a sport so singularly tied and defined by its greatest star than golf with Tiger.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
(And I say this as a 90's kid who was obsessed with Jordan growing up. We had him painted on the wall in our backyard.)
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Maybe not 18, but he definitely played several holes in his day.
JCA1
AG
RebAg13 said:

JCA1 said:

Pretty sure the olympics were after the draft, but I've heard a similar quote.

Yeah. I think you're right on the draft timing. Maybe practice leading up to the Olympics?
claym711
AG
TCTTS said:

I have to say, I had resigned to possibly admitting that LeBron is the greatest of all time *if* he won a championship with the Lakers. Winning championships with three different teams over the course of a decade+, and performing at such a high level this late in his career, MIGHT have been enough to give him the edge in my book.

And this is coming from a MASSIVE Jordan fan as a kid. For years, I watched nearly every Bulls game on WGN, I had Air Jordans V-XII, all the VHS tapes (Come Fly with Me, Air Time, etc.), and Jordan posters covering my walls. I was OBSESSED.

*****THAT LEBRON NOISE.

We agree again!
TCTTS
JCA1
AG
This is a little bit of an aside, but when Jordan was inducted into the basketball hall of fame, he used his speech to recount various slights and insults that he still clearly stews on, some going back to high school. A lot of people were critical of the speech and surprised he did it. My thought was "do you even know anything about the man?" It was quintessential Jordan and highlighted his neverending desire to prove his doubters wrong. Quite frankly, that mentality is a big reason why he's the GOAT.

I suspect a lot of people are about to see that side of him.
Big Al 1992
AG
I read recently that after watching The Last Dance, it made his HOF speech make sense, rather than what has been perceived as a bitter old man getting his last shots in.
Big Al 1992
AG
And this quote from the first episode from the guy who wrote Rare Air - "no one has ever been better at their job anywhere than MJ was at his"
BigHitterDaLama
One thing I thought of last night, with all the ACC talk and Cocaine in the 80s, was the premature death of Len Bias. Many basketball gurus/scouts say he was in that Jordan type of realm from a pure god-given talent and ability.
AgShaun00
AG
TCTTS said:

*****THAT LEBRON NOISE.

i was the same growing up.

I know I was bias, but Lebron never had the killer instinct and in big games, he would just blend in. I don't recall anyone saying jordan blending in. In the biggest games, he was present and involved. He might missed 15 straight, but he was never scared to shoot or make a play. Lebron was never on that level and why many will choice jordan over him. Who is the most talented, Lebron.
Aust Ag
AG
JCA1 said:

This is a little bit of an aside, but when Jordan was inducted into the basketball hall of fame, he used his speech to recount various slights and insults that he still clearly stews on, some going back to high school. A lot of people were critical of the speech and surprised he did it. My thought was "do you even know anything about the man?" It was quintessential Jordan and highlighted his neverending desire to prove his doubters wrong. Quite frankly, that mentality is a big reason why he's the GOAT.

I suspect a lot of people are about to see that side of him.
No doubt the doubters drove him, but I wonder how that "anger" or whatever you want to call it affects him in the long run? Health-wise, mentally, etc.
Fat Bib Fortuna
mnuge said:

TC - have to go with MJackson. But....

I vividly remember June 2009. I am at a movie with my family - Transformers 2 - just getting the snot kicked out of me - just so bad. My brother calls 3 times. I walk out into the hall to see what's up. The conversation:
Him: I can't believe it.
Me: What's up?
Him: Can't believe he's dead.
Me: Who?
Him: You don't know? MJ.
I literally fell back into the wall and slid down to the floor. Stunned.
Me: Michael Jordan died?
Him: No - Michael Jackson
Me: Oh - thank God.

He was more famous, though...

edited because I can't type
When my wife and I got engaged we agreed it would be great to fake a slow dance to a cheesy song, then bust out a dance routine instead and picked Thriller by MJ. We bought a DVD to show you how to do it and practiced every week from 9 months to get it right. He died 9 days before our wedding, making everyone at the reception think we had learned the entire thing in a little more than a week to pay tribute.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Anyone else have this poster growing up?

Know Your Enemy
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

ME!
St Hedwig Aggie
AG
I like how James Worthy (a super star in his own right) said he was the better Tar Heel...for about two weeks...
TCTTS
AG
Yep. I seriously think I eventually had every Jordan poster Nike made.
wreckncrew
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I had this poster and many others. I believe I still have some of them somewhere in storage for my future man cave...unless my wife threw them away without me knowing. If she did then marriage over.
Know Your Enemy
AG
She's too good for you anyway.
SteveA
AG
I still laugh at Jordan and Pippen talking about themselves in the third person...
TCTTS
AG
Growing up, my favorite Jordan Nike posters...

Know Your Enemy
AG
I had more than half of those on my walls.
TCTTS
AG
Nice. At one point, I had all but one of them on my walls, along with maybe five or so other non-Nike ones. Literally every inch of my walls were covered in Jordan posters from like fifth to eighth grade or so.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
nice. had most of those, but you left off two of my favorites:

and this one, mainly because i grew to exactly 6'6"...at the time i thought it was a sign!

TCTTS
AG
Totally forgot about the moon one. So good.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.