*** Greyhound ***

8,855 Views | 86 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by YouBet
PanzerAggie06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I found the Dick Best character to be extremely annoying. The actors take on an NJ accent came across as really forced and he was, from scene 1, somewhat unlikeable. Guys like that, who think they have it all figured out and do things their own way, very rarely do well in the military. Even if they are shown to be ultimately correct there are simply much better ways to go about getting things done. And I love Woody Harelson but I just had a difficult time accepting him as Nimitz. He was pretty solid as LBJ though.
The D
AG
Nothing in Dunkirk looked fake
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
You can have some real tension in a submarine movie. You are fighting an enemy that you can't see.

A weird comparison, granted, but if they would make a WWII sub movie with the feel and intensity of A Quiet Place, that would be awesome.
OldArmy71
AG
You're in luck. They made that movie. Three times.

Run Silent, Run Deep

The Enemy Below

Das Boot
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
OldArmy71 said:

You're in luck. They made that movie. Three times.

Run Silent, Run Deep

The Enemy Below

Das Boot

Thanks I'll check them out
JABQ04
AG
If any of you folks get to Chicago check out The Museum of Science and Industry. The absolute best part is U-505 where you can go inside. Despite what you see on the surface they are pretty damn big.

The holes in the conning tower are from smaller weapons (.50cal and 20mm AA guns) to drive off the Germans and capture the U-boat but not sink it. One of the last times a US Naval vessel issued the order "Ready boarding parties" too.
12th Man Ag
AG
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia said:

Now give me The Mighty 8th, TH.

THIS!!!
JABQ04
AG
12th Man Ag said:

THIS!!!

Is it ever going to be done? I've seen fake trailers and read rumors for the past 6 years. I thought I read Spielberg and Hanks we're now working on it but that's been over a year and no new news
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
JABQ04 said:

12th Man Ag said:

THIS!!!

Is it ever going to be done? I've seen fake trailers and read rumors for the past 6 years. I thought I read Spielberg and Hanks we're now working on it but that's been over a year and no new news
Pretty sure there was some news on this recently, in that it would now not be an HBO project as in Band of Brothers/The Pacific, but on a different streaming service. Perhaps Apple TV?
TCTTS
AG
Correct. And these kinds of things take years to write/prep. So it'll still be a while.
pimplepopper
AG
Movie just dropped today. Will watch it with the family. Surprised that the run time is only 1:31.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TRD-Ferguson
AG
Just finished it. Wife said, "the idiots who are protesting today don't deserve this country". Her Dad was in the Merchant Marine and lived through it.
uujm
Just watched it with my dad. Thought it was great. Even though he had source material, Tom Hanks must have had a hell of a time writing it.
BBRex
AG
I watched it last night and really enjoyed it. And after seeing so many 2.5-hour plus movies, it was kind of nice to have a shorter run time. It felt more like the war movies I watched with my dad as a kid in the '70s than some of the more current war movies.
PatAg
AG
BBRex said:

I watched it last night and really enjoyed it. And after seeing so many 2.5-hour plus movies, it was kind of nice to have a shorter run time. It felt more like the war movies I watched with my dad as a kid in the '70s than some of the more current war movies.
That is very accurate. THrowback style
aggiedata
AG
Saw it last night. It's through the eyes of the captain. It was intense. The 100 things being thrown at him. The life or death decisions he has to make. Not being able to process death before the next situation arises.

This may be very unpopular but I'm going to say it. I enjoyed the religious aspect to Tom's character and glad they showed it. True story that is still studied today at Annapolis.
jeffk
AG
Hanks was on the latest Hardcore History (addendum) podcast with Dan Carlin to talk about the movie and the history around it. It's pretty fun listening.
bonfarr
AG
My Papaw was a merchant marine in WWII and was sunk twice and survived somehow. He told me the Merchant Marines had the highest death rate of the war.
jeffk
AG
Just got done. Really good little flick. High suspense and the graphics looked fine on the TV screen.
My Dad Earl
AG
Just finished this movie and absolutely loved it. I love the aspect of how it used naval jargon the entire time and didn't try to give the audience some fancy or emotional dialogue; it just wanted to show straight-up naval warfare and what those sailors might have experienced. Fantastic film.
HoustonAg2106
AG
Very good movie. I wish it was longer, they could have done a lot more in the beginning to build up to the battle of the Atlantic rather than just jumping right into it.
bonfarr
AG
Is this only available on AppleTV?
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
bonfarr said:

Is this only available on AppleTV?
I believe so. I did the subscription but it is on a week-long trial that I will likely cancel before the end of the trial.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Watched this yesterday. I thought it was a damn good movie about a story not often told in WWII movies. Quite intense even for a TV screen. Wish it had been a bit longer, but all in all, I really enjoyed it.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I'm watching this tonight. Can't wait.
Law-5L
AG
Overall I enjoyed it -- but I'm the target audience. It's no "Master and Commander" which is my standard for these types of films. It did borrow certain elements of it though.

Apart from scenes filmed aboard the USS Kidd, it is a full CGI affair which has been discussed previously on this thread. Some of it worked well. They filmed the sea in the North Atlantic to use in the CGI process (like M&C) and it didn't take me out of the film when we saw exterior shots of USS Keeling. Some of the U-boat business on the other hand, certain convoy shots, etc. were less effective. Most of it stayed within the realm of planet earth physics.

In the end I wanted more. Concentrating on the action left little room for character development apart from Captain Krause (Hanks). The subordinates were mostly forgettable. And even with the Krause character there was more to get to know -- or perhaps know more clearly. Elizabeth Shue's scene could've been either done better or cut completely.

For those who liked it I suggest two films: "Gift Horse" (1952) starring Trevor Howard and "In Which We Serve" (1942) starring Noel Coward. Both depict the British POV and both feature real destroyers at sea, "Gift Horse" especially. In that one they used one of the last Wickes-class destroyers to great effect. I mention these because they aren't as well known as Bogart and Massey's "Action in the North Atlantic" (1943) which is also a ripping good convoy story.

Thunder18
AG
Watched this and Midway this weekend. Enjoyed both
PlanoAggie
AG
Watched it yesterday -- loved it!
WP69
AG
Law-5L said:

For those who liked it I suggest two films: "Gift Horse" (1952) starring Trevor Howard

"Gift Horse" is renamed as "Glory at Sea". Still available on Amazon Prime. I watched it last night based on your recommendation. Good at sea shots and overall pretty good. Typical 1950s Brit movie with almost disjointed vignette scenes.
Law-5L
AG
I'm glad you gave it a try. Yes, it's definitely of it's time period. I forgot about the rename for the American market. I only found it recently.

What most impressed me was the use of an actual ship of the type depicted. You don't see that very much. Usually models. The biggest exception would be Ford's "They Were Expendable". Lots of scenes with the actors on real PT boats. Love that movie.
WP69
AG
Love "They Were Expendable". Really like the scene of Dad sitting on the steps with a bolt action waiting on the Japanese and Ward Bond and remainder of crew walking down the beach, now as infantry, with the theme music playing. Those scenes really brought out the hopelessness of the situation.

On thread, I really liked "Greyhound". Just started reading "The Good Shepard".
powerbelly
AG
Quote:

In the end I wanted more. Concentrating on the action left little room for character development apart from Captain Krause (Hanks). The subordinates were mostly forgettable. And even with the Krause character there was more to get to know -- or perhaps know more clearly. Elizabeth Shue's scene could've been either done better or cut completely.

This is exactly how I feel.
Phat32
AG
Could have used more character development - I would have added 30 min of flashbacks or whatever to get more involved with the characters. But that being said....

HOLY **** what a wild ride. I was on the edge of my seat and the action was amazing. Really captured what it was like to run the U-Boat gauntlet in the Battle of the Atlantic. Really wish I'd been able to see it in a theater.

A fun drinking game...drink every time you hear "rudder". It's basically a power hour.
jeffk
AG
I don't know, I thought it was kind of nice not to have all the backstory and larger world context filled in for once. Having a nice, tidy 1.5 movie full of action not interrupted by flashbacks and cutaways to other non-present characters was sort of refreshing.
JT05
AG
jeffk said:

I don't know, I thought it was kind of nice not to have all the backstory and larger world context filled in for once. Having a nice, tidy 1.5 movie full of action not interrupted by flashbacks and cutaways to other non-present characters was sort of refreshing.

This is exactly how I felt. Minimal build up before. Then jumped to the part where they lost air cover and we are off. I actually enjoyed the lack of character development. In some ways, it represents how the Captain has to think. Just pieces to execute the job. When the one guy gets shot in the face, "get a replacement". It's strictly about getting the job done. No nonsense. Great movie.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.