*** Greyhound ***

8,765 Views | 86 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by YouBet
Cinco Ranch Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm a sucker for submarine movies. I'm also a nut about WWII. It's good to see an actual WWII movie about the convoys to England with the Nazi wolfpacks sinking ships.

Tom Hanks starring.

PlanoAggie
jeffk
AG
Looks awesome.
TCTTS
AG
I gotta be honest, modern day WWII movies are starting to look like nothing more than video games to me. Between this and Midway, none of it feels even remotely real or tangible. It's all just CGI nothingness and constant, overly-art-directed magic hour with some humans thrown in. If reviews are good I'll give it a shot, but otherwise, even with Hanks, I'm probably out.
Duncan Idaho
Especially the navy films.
FancyKetchup14
AG
I was thinking the same thing. Even so, this format of WWII movie doesn't appeal to me.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Care to explain how one would make a movie like this without CGI? Yeah, models, I know about those. One thing that is very difficult to deal with when dealing with miniatures is water. Go look at something like Raise the Titanic; you will see splashing water that is so obviously out of scale with the ship as it returns to the surface (fully intact, movie made prior to Ballard finding the Titanic when on a mission for the US Navy).

From this preview, what exactly looks video game-ish? The tracer fire? The ships and subs look pretty good in this trailer.
TCTTS
AG

Quote:

Care to explain how one would make a movie like this without CGI?

Simple. You don't. No one had a gun to Sony's or Tom Hanks' head, forcing them to make this.

Quote:

From this preview, what exactly looks video game-ish? The tracer fire? The ships and subs look pretty good in this trailer.

Literally every single shot of a ship, sub, plane, or the ocean looks CGI to me. I'm not saying it's terrible CGI, necessarily - it's fine - but the quality of the CGI isn't really the issue. Part of it is that not a single shot of the ocean looks like they ever shot a real ocean, both for close-ups and wide shots. It's ALL on a soundstage or in a computer. Movies like Pearl Harbor or even Battleship (as bad as those movies might be) would at least build various parts of a deck of a ship and set them up near/on a dock, with the real ocean in the background, and then only for wide shots use CGI. But here, EVERYTHING looks green screened. They didn't even aim to go practical where they could. And I totally get that something like Pearl Harbor had a way bigger budget, but again, no one was forcing them to make this.

Ultimately, it's not that big of a deal. I admit, even if this looked completely real, the story doesn't interest me much. The whole thing just looks kind of bland, if I'm being totally honest. But I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, so I'll shut up now.
redd38
AG
I'd watch it if Tom Hanks' ship turned into a giant robot at the end to destroy the other ship.

and The Rock was in it.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Quote:

But I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, so I'll shut up now.
Well, I'm not having a parade, so you're not raining on anything.

Just curious what you're seeing in the effects for movies like this or Midway. To my eyes, this looks realistic. Maybe I'm so old that they are pulling the wool over my eyes, but be that as it may. In something like Run Silent, Run Deep, I never could see the ships in those movies as anything other than motorized models, which I suppose is strange in that at least those models are real, tangible objects in real water, as opposed to something like this movie, with ships and water that are almost certainly all CGI. Somehow the unreal looks real to me here. Same thing with Midway. Midway's problem was its depiction of the dive bombing and the hailstorm the Japs sent up. Visually it was cool, but the dive bombers did not dive all at once, but rather single-file so-to-speak, and the Japs were unlikely to have been able to put up such a barrage of cannon fire.

But, as I said, I'm a sucker for sub movies. Crimson Tide, U-571, K-19, The Hunt for Red October, etc. Go way back to something like Run Silent, Run Deep, or The Enemy Below also. Das Boot.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Quote:

Pearl Harbor
They shot some portions of that one aboard the USS Lexington in Corpus Christi, yet Pearl Harbor is routinely slammed as an awful movie (much of it is). Simply filming aboard a real ship is not enough to make it good.
TCTTS
AG
I lied. Not shutting up just yet. One last thing I was just reminded of, to answer your first question more specifically. When this tech featured in the video below goes more mainstream, and everyone can use it, I think it's going to solve a TON of problems. It essentially replaces green screen and is virtually indistinguishable from real life, in terms of backgrounds. The Mandalorian was the first time I've ever been utterly convinced that the backgrounds were real, when, if fact, it was all on a soundstage. This is incredible stuff that I think will drastically change the way movies and television are made over the next decade or so...

TCTTS
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Quote:

Pearl Harbor
They shot some portions of that one aboard the USS Lexington in Corpus Christi, yet Pearl Harbor is routinely slammed as an awful movie (much of it is). Simply filming aboard a real ship is not enough to make it good.

I literally said it's not a good movie, nor was that my argument. But I at least believed that the events taking place on screen were tangible, in the real world, and not on sound stages.
jeffk
AG
Hmm. I didn't think it looked that bad, but I was watching on my phone.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
I'm with TCTTS in that it def looks CGI. Midway was the same way and almost prevented me from going. Like he said, it's good CGI. But you can't replace practical. You can't tell me the planes in Midway looked the same as the planes Nolan used in Dunkirk. As good as the CGI has gotten, that veneer of fake is still there.

That said, I will definitely still go see this though. Bc Tom MFing Hanks.

Now give me The Mighty 8th, TH.
JABQ04
AG
The CGI doesn't bother me like it does some people. 100% going to see this opening day. Now make one of the Battle off Samar.
AG
Has Hanks written a screenplay before?
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia said:

I'm with TCTTS in that it def looks CGI. Midway was the same way and almost prevented me from going. Like he said, it's good CGI. But you can't replace practical. You can't tell me the planes in Midway looked the same as the planes Nolan used in Dunkirk. As good as the CGI has gotten, that veneer of fake is still there.

Good luck getting a flyable Devastator. And no way in hell would Nolan have filmed a real Dauntless in that steep dive. I know these planes quite well. Midway did a fantastic job in terms of getting the details mostly right. I really don't see any veneer of fake, as you describe it, in the warbirds featured in Midway.

The mighty 8th will likely feature CGI to depict massive squadrons of B-17s and B-24s on their way to Germany. As long as the airplanes are not depicted violating the laws of physics as in, say, Red Tails, I'll be fine with the CGI.
Bodie Broadus
That would be something!!
jeffk
AG
The new Catch-22 used some old warbirds in their filming but then supplemented it with some CGI for the big group shots. Looked pretty good to me.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
TCTTS said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Quote:

Pearl Harbor

I literally said it's not a good movie, nor was that my argument. But I at least believed that the events taking place on screen were tangible, in the real world, and not on sound stages.
The worst use of CGI in Pearl Harbor was Josh Hartnett.
JABQ04
AG
Weren't scenes from Pearl Harbor shot on the Texas as well? I know she was used in Flags of our Fathers. I wish we had enough old birds around to show 1000 B17s in the air or old DDs and Liberty ships to show a convoy. Out of the 1000s built during the war there aren't more than A couple left and some classes/types there's nothing left. BoB used like 6 C47s for the Normandy scene taken off and they made it look like hundreds.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

HummingbirdSaltalamacchia said:

Good luck getting a flyable Devastator. And no way in hell would Nolan have filmed a real Dauntless in that steep dive. I know these planes quite well. Midway did a fantastic job in terms of getting the details mostly right. I really don't see any veneer of fake, as you describe it, in the warbirds featured in Midway.

The mighty 8th will likely feature CGI to depict massive squadrons of B-17s and B-24s on their way to Germany. As long as the airplanes are not depicted violating the laws of physics as in, say, Red Tails, I'll be fine with the CGI.
way to miss my point completely. i am really glad that you "know these planes quite well". seriously, congratulations on your accomplishment. everyone here understands the logistical issues at play. not what i was being critical about at all.

all i was attempting to point out, is that, despite the advancements, it still looks simulated. it still looks like a really good computer game. it still looks rendered, especially when they try to layer in the human actors, it can be jarring. i am glad you dont notice it. but for someone like me that notices it clear as day. it does serve to take me out of the movie to a certain extent. for ****s' sake, i enjoyed midway and i'll probably still enjoy this.
Urban Ag
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Quote:

Pearl Harbor
The only thing that kind of ruined Pear Harbor for me was the stupid love triangle. It's just so off-putting. Otherwise, pretty good movie.
Urban Ag
AG
I gotta go with Cinco on this one. Looks pretty badass to me.

They need to tone down Sci-Fi/Transformers/Monster movie audio effects though. And Hanks is starting to look a little long in the tooth for roles like this. But.....I'll find an excuse to take the kids.
PatAg
AG
This makes me want to see a movie about the the book HMS Ulysses. Similar story, but actually well written with lots of great action and scenes. Imo, they shouldn't even show the subs that much in a move like this. and definitley not that "start above the water and dive under to see the sub moving through the water and launch torpedoes"

The whole point is they were terrifying, and often didnt know they were there until it was too late.
rononeill
yall are overthinking this. this looks sweet and Elizabeth Shue.
chipotle
JUST HOOK IT TO MY VEINS!
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Not sure what the *****ing and cat fight is all about, this looks ****ing awesome
TresPuertas
AG
Meh. I remember when going to the movies was supposed to be fun.

Regardless of the CGI, which I agree looks pretty egregious, I'll be happy to see it if the story is good.

I understand that there are some Hollywood folks on this board who are more concerned with the technical aspects than John Q Public, and there is nothing wrong with that, but sometimes I just want to be entertained. This movie will likely do that
PanzerAggie06
AG
I'll go see it because Hanks rarely makes a bomb of a movie and I'm a sucker for WWII films. Having said that I'm wondering how they will gloss over his age in the film. Hanks is pushing into his mid 60s and he is playing a Navy Commander which in WWII would have put him in his late 30s to early 40s. Not a minor age difference. His playing a Nimitz or Halsey would be appropriate but this is pushing it.
Urban Ag
AG
If Bruce Willis can be a 47 year old Lieutenant than Hanks can be a 63 year old Commander.

Stop old shaming. It could happen.
YouBet
AG
Will rent this. I just watched Midway last weekend. It was decently entertaining but I couldn't get my head around Dick Best's character. The guy that played him simply didn't look or sound American. Weird take, but I just never really accepted him in that role.
Pignorant
AG
U-571 is the goat submarine movie.

No CGI in that movie.
OldArmy71
AG
Have you seen The Enemy Below, Run Silent Run Deep, or Das Boot? Infinitely better movies.

Anyway, some of the CGI looks pretty bad, but I too am a sucker for anything WWII. This looks better than Midway, which I went to see mainly because I want to support people making movies about WWII.

I'll go see it.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.