Colin Trevorrow's STAR WARS: DUEL OF THE FATES script reviewed...

12,689 Views | 160 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Atreides Ornithopter
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I figured this deserved its own thread, if only because this is a pretty huge leak, likely to start a relatively long discussion, and I didn't want to bog down the main SW thread. That said, to be clear, I have no idea who this Robert Meyer Burnett guy is - I'd never heard of him before today - but on first impression he seems legit (along with being a smart/genuine guy), and his breakdown of Trevorrow's script comes across as incredibly authentic to me. I feel like I have a good nose for this stuff, and I'm not smelling any bullsh*t at all here. That said, a few of quick points for context...

- Colin Trevorrow and Derek Connolly were hired to write Episode IX in August 2015 with Trevorrow set to direct. The draft reviewed below was completed on December 16, 2016 - nearly a year and a half later - but just 11 days before Carrie Fisher's death. So one reason this approach likely had to be scrapped was the size of Fisher's role. Trevorrow was then fired in September 2017. So there was another nine months or so of development on Trevorrow's iteration, likely to accommodate Fisher's absence, before he was fired. My guess is there was a difference of opinion on how to handle her absence, so Kennedy gave Trevorrow the boot in favor of Abrams.

- Trevorrow's draft is titled Star Wars: Dual of the Fates - a title suggested by a handful of us on this board - which would have been perfect.

- I can't believe I'm saying this... but Trevorrow's draft sounds SO. MUCH. BETTER. Granted, this is a bit like the backup quarterback being everyone's favorite player, I can already name a "plot hole" or two from this description that would have been met with complaints, and Rose Tico had a much bigger role in this draft. But I would have taken this draft, minor flaws and all, and more Rose in a heartbeat over the the crap we were ultimately served. Again, this particular draft was obviously untenable due to Fisher's death, but there HAD to be a satisfying way around that without going full Abrams.

-You can watch/listen to Burnett break down the draft below (highly recommended) - or - you can read a summary from a reddit user at the top of the comments here. The summary doesn't come close to doing Burnett's breakdown justice, so, again, I would absolutely watch the video if you have the time (the script summary itself is roughly 50 minutes long). Though there's a lot of context from minute one, the summary begins at 20:40 and goes to 38:50, at which point Burnett takes a break to answer some unrelated questions, but then dives back in from 49:22 - 1:22:33 (there are then further thoughts on the scripts throughout the rest of the video, but they're between other, unrelated questions).

- With this review now out in the open, I'm hoping this draft leaks in the next few months. At this point, I don't see how it doesn't eventually, and when/if it does, I absolutely cannot wait to read it...

Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Is rey a palpatine. Is Kylo redeemed? Does he die?
TCTTS
AG
- Rey is NOT a Palpatine. And the only Palpatine appearance is via an old hologram message in Vader's castle on Mustafar.

- Kylo is NOT redeemed. Kylo DOES die.
TCTTS
AG
Also, again, just to be clear, I'm not saying Trevorrow's draft is perfect. For instance, I probably would rather Kylo be redeemed in some way, and I would have made a couple of other changes as well (like, say, not pairing off Finn and Rose yet again). I'm just saying that, overall, it's seemingly a lot better than what we got. It's also worth reiterating that this wasn't even close to a final draft.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Burnett is the co-host on John Campea's youtube show, fyi. Seems pretty knowledgeable.
TCTTS
AG
Oh, nice. I really like him after this. Might start listening to him more.
TCTTS
AG
News is starting to make the rounds, and The AV Club has independently confirmed the authenticity of the draft's contents...

https://news.avclub.com/turns-out-colin-trevorrows-version-of-star-wars-episod-1841002112

https://www.ign.com/articles/star-wars-episode-9-script-leak-colin-trevorrow-duel-of-the-fates
PatAg
AG
I wonder how many people actually disliked her character, versus disliked the story line it was attached to (thats me).
PatAg
AG
Probably never going to go beyond reading av clubs summary, but that doesnt seem like a good movie to me. Still, very interesting that it's leaking like this.
TCTTS
AG
Rose? That's a good point. I had no problem with the performance at all. It's her plot line that sucked. Sounds like it would have been way more tolerable in this version.
Ag Since 83
AG
Half an hour in, this sounds really good.

Is the whole 135 minutes talking about Star Wars?
tk for tu juan
Without reading or watching the video, how much of the story was kept in order for Trevorrow to be listed in the writing credits?
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Read the recap instead of watching the two-hour video (holy smokes) and there are things to like and dislike. (My top likes are seeing a Galaxy under the first order's boot and the vision of a fallen Coruscant). It's hard to have faith that Trevorrow would execute well on it after TLJ, though. It could have turned out like TLJ with a few really cool-looking individual moments, but a whole lot of poorly executed crap and character decisions between.

Now I'm ready for someone to leak Abrams' notes on what Ep 8 should have been so we can really start bickering about it.
Thanks and gig'em
TCTTS
AG
Ag Since 83 and Aggie_Journalist - In the OP, I broke down exactly what parts of the video, via time codes, are devoted to the summary. And no, the whole 135 minutes are not about Star Wars.
Ag Since 83
AG
Ah yes, pardon my blindness. Thanks
Saxsoon
AG
That sounds like utter **** and glad we got the JJ version. Finn being separated from Poe and Rey is a greater crime than anything in what we got. His scenes with both of them were incredible. And seriously Kylo killing her parents somehow a bigger asspull than her being a palpy
Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2012
TCTTS
AG
Care to actually explain your take?
Ag Since 83
AG
The second half lost me a little bit. Some interesting ideas around the uprising on Coruscant, but the lighting the beacons a la ROTK seemed weird to me. And I HATE Mortis and would never want to see that crap in a movie
Saxsoon
AG
TCTTS said:

Care to actually explain your take?
edited
Saxsoon
AG
Any movie that introduces Mortis (which I love from the animated series) would illicit a bigger wtf from the general audiences than how Palpy returned. Also no world that Palpy's mentor is still alive, let alone 7000 years old and some Cthulu eldritch horror. That **** would never have left power.
TCTTS
AG
I had never heard of Mortis before today, but I just read up on it and it actually sounds kind of cool, IMO. Who knows how they were planning on depicting it, and Trevorrow could have very well screwed it up, but I like the idea in concept. Seems different enough and special enough to really stand out as finale-worthy.
Saxsoon
AG
TCTTS said:

I had never heard of Mortis before today, but I just read up on it and it actually sounds kind of cool, IMO. Who knows how they were planning on depicting it, and Trevorrow could have very well screwed it up, but I like the idea in concept. Seems different enough and special enough to really stand out as finale-worthy.
Mortis I think needs more fleshing out than the end of a trilogy. It is something I feel like it is introduced in the beginning of the trilogy, or maybe the second film. Dropping it in the third without any build up is the exact same issue that some complain of TROS and Palpatine.
TCTTS
AG
I get where you're coming from, but ultimately disagree. We're obviously not going to see eye-to-eye on any of this (which is fine).
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Mortis is the Clone Wars equivalent of Bobby Ewing in the shower and it was all just a dream. Anakin is made completely aware of what he will become, then has his memory wiped.

If you didn't like the Star Destroyers following the Radar Tower, having a beacon lit on Coruscant to call your allies would probably have you in the fetal position, especially with Rose being the one to do it.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Saxsoon said:

Any movie that introduces Mortis (which I love from the animated series) would illicit a bigger wtf from the general audiences than how Palpy returned. Also no world that Palpy's mentor is still alive, let alone 7000 years old and some Cthulu eldritch horror. That **** would never have left power.
and completely undoes Palpatine talking about Darth Plagueis in ROTS.
TCTTS
AG
Seeing as Palpatine still being alive completely undoes the end of ROTJ, this seems like the lesser of two evils to me.
amercer
AG
Wow. That legit sounds 1000% better.

Oh well.

The way Disney works now they'll just *******ize the parts of that that the loudest fans like and cram it into the next poorly done Star Wars movie
TCTTS
AG
At the very least, regardless of which version is better, it's at least incredibly interesting to see how Abrams and Terrio grafted their version onto this one. You can see the big signpost similarities, and it explains why Trevorrow and Connolly got a Story By credit in the end. I really, really hope more stuff like this starts to leak - like Arndt's original Episode VII draft - and we can start to piece together all the various threads/ideas/mistakes/etc.
amercer
AG
What they should have done when Carrie died was bring Luke back to fill her role.

So instead of dying when he disappeared at the end of TLJ, he actually went to Mortis. Then he comes back and could basically fill her role in that script.

Also, that would have allowed for the force ghost that was haunting Kylo and trying to turn him back to the light side to be........Anakin

TCTTS
AG
Those are both really good ideas. I still don't understand why Anakin wasn't "haunting" the sh*t out of Kylo this entire time. It makes no sense. It's also dumb that Kylo worshipped him to begin with, but that's a whole other thing.
AustinAg2K
Script definitely sounds better, but I have faith Disney would have found a way to screw it up, too.
exitone
AG
I didn't really care for this, but to each his own.

I really, really, really didn't like the Mortis arc in TCW. I'm surprised to see so much love for it here. Maybe I need to go back and watch it again.
titan
S

Reading the link it certainly sounds promising. A big surprise is the enlarged role for Hux. He has clearly emerged as the `more secular' component of the First Order rule under Kylo Ren. I am going to have to watch the video, as it clearly has more details if close to an hour long. At least it does seem to hit upon don't make Palpatine the villain, but invoke Palp's legacy and work.
titan
S
TCTTS said:

Seeing as Palpatine still being alive completely undoes the end of ROTJ, this seems like the lesser of two evils to me.
TCTTS,

With your sense of evaluation of scripts --- next time you watch it, just pretend Palpatine is Darth Plagueis (or yes, another mega Sith lord figure like in this alternative script) but otherwise the basic TROS outline and see if it works. See how little it would take to make that stronger -- you can even keep the wayfinder of Palpatine's in Death Star if one wants to.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
TCTTS said:

How does it undo it? Anakin is still redeemed, leading to Luke surviving. Luke helps shape Kylo Ren and Rey into who they are, and the two of them ultimately defeat Palpatine.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.