Cheer on Netflix

12,141 Views | 91 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by The Shank Ag
Anagrammatic Nudist
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Production assistants are looking to be hired in Corsicana as we speak for filming to begin February 3rd for what appears to be either a season 2, or a season 1 follow up show at a minimum.

Whatever happens, I don't remember such an overnight sensation for an entire sport in general as this show has produced. Will be interesting to see the direction they go. I already can't imagine the circus that Daytona will bring in April.
johnrth
After I watched it I looked up the results for the big Cheer competition. They're the national champions but they literally only competed against Trinity valley CC in their "class" I guess you can say. I thought when they were talking about being national champs it was against all of the college's that partake Daytona. But no, they're separated by sizes and divisions. So really it isn't that difficult to beat 1 other team.

That's how I understood the results.
aTmAg
AG
johnrth said:

After I watched it I looked up the results for the big Cheer competition. They're the national champions but they literally only competed against Trinity valley CC in their "class" I guess you can say. I thought when they were talking about being national champs it was against all of the college's that partake Daytona. But no, they're separated by sizes and divisions. So really it isn't that difficult to beat 1 other team.

It should be like UIL (soccer) in where the few 3A teams that exist compete in 4A because there simply isn't enough 3A teams around to have a serious league.
Anagrammatic Nudist
AG
johnrth said:

I posted several posts about this on the previous pages, including links to the score sheets.
Anagrammatic Nudist
AG
Basically, "Grand Champs" is what Navarro is competing for year-in, year-out. TVCC is the only other team in their Junior College division at NCA in Daytona. The show took poetic license in not explaining this aspect... unfurling the NCA banner for their division only means nothing. They want the "Grand Champs" titles which are across all divisions in their level. Those are mentioned but the distinction is lost on the casual viewers.
Tobias Funke
AG
SACR said:

aTmAg said:

As a guy who has had back surgery, I winced when that one dude was practicing though his back injury. That's the sort of thing that can do permanent damage. I'm surprised the trainer didn't stop it.
I don't think it was as bad as portrayed, and they embellished the situation a little. Seriously doubt he was in any danger at all, quite certain it was just a pinched nerve.

I think it was included just to show that Monica could be a hard ass if she needed to be.

Be careful, SACR! Even slightly disagreeing with the most unimportant detail in a thread with this guy can lead to pages of drivel and ultimately destroy the thread.
SACR
AG
Tobias Funke said:

SACR said:

aTmAg said:

As a guy who has had back surgery, I winced when that one dude was practicing though his back injury. That's the sort of thing that can do permanent damage. I'm surprised the trainer didn't stop it.
I don't think it was as bad as portrayed, and they embellished the situation a little. Seriously doubt he was in any danger at all, quite certain it was just a pinched nerve.

I think it was included just to show that Monica could be a hard ass if she needed to be.

Be careful, SACR! Even slightly disagreeing with the most unimportant detail in a thread with this guy can lead to pages of drivel and ultimately destroy the thread.

Oh, I know. We've tangled in here before. He's told his daughters they're partially responsible if they are ever sexually assaulted.
Tanya 93
Jerry is going to cover the red carpet of the Oscars for Ellen. He is going to be awesome at it!

Tanya 93
And he nailed it

He was on mat

SACR
AG

The minute Ellen announced he would be doing the red carpet, I knew at least one star would go all fangirl when they met Jerry because Cheer is so popular right now. So happy to see several people so excited to meet him.
MonkeyKnifeFighter
rather be fishing
AG
aTmAg said:

I saw on reddit several years ago a black girl who puts all these at Navarro girls to shame. I'm no expert, but she looks to me like she could have been a national gymnastics competitor if she chose that path instead.
Did anyone else read this comment and cringe?
mazzag
AG
Way more to say about this but bookmarking. The whole "alumni" respect crap is getting on my nerves.
Drawkcab
They don't act like cheering is a sport do they?
Anagrammatic Nudist
AG
Drawkcab said:

GTFO with your weak ass troll.
Humorous Username
AG
Anagrammatic Nudist said:

Finally finished the show... just a couple of thoughts:

1) Great show. As a cheer parent that lives and dies with our own high-level flyer, this show nailed so many of the emotions we feel while watching practices and competitions. This series has helped fill a huge missing piece of the All-Star and Collegiate Cheer world in terms of the behind-the-scenes work required to excel at the sport.

2) Monica is a fantastic coach.

3) As I said before, I wish the added sound effects on falls wasn't there, but oh well.

4) They only showed the Finals at Daytona, Day 2. Thought that was a bit odd, as the prelims (Day 1) count for 25% of the final score. Day two counts 75% of the final score. After Day 1, Navarro held a 97.9 to 97.0 lead over TVCC, both hitting with zero deductions. On Day two, Navarro had a 97.82 with the one deduction, and TVCC had a 97.38 also with one deduction.

5) Hoping this becomes a multi-season series following a new team each year.

It's OK to just come out and say you hope they put your daughter on the show.
Anagrammatic Nudist
AG
My daughter is 12 and if she ends up at NJC, something went wrong. Try again.
mazzag
AG
I'm curious as to how NJC pays for all this? I'm also curious why Monica hasn't been poached by another college. I know, hometown, raise kids, etc... but her kids look well rounded and grown. She gets team kids for 2 years and the fact she's beaten other 4 yr programs is incredible.

I was a high school cheerleader in the late 80's-90's. Small varsity squad, 8 of us but we had the first male cheerleader on campus so stunts and basket tosses and pyramids were fun. FF to how it's evolved is amazing. My daughter, now 16, did one year of show team and one year of comp, 10 years ago. Not a terrible experience but not worth it to keep going. We stuck with soccer. (Another story). Club cheer is expensive. And what's sadder is the parents doing it for their kids when you know they can't afford it. Jerry's story hit home. One of the moms from my daughters team had both her son and daughter involved and she drove a freakin clunker of a car.
At the time we had just one local option for a gym. The owner had gone to another area high school, so I remembered her from back then. I think she cheered at OkSt. Anyway, that one year my daughter did comp was terrible. The one time they could've gotten first, they were DQ'd for an illegal stunt in the routine. I'd assume the coach and choreographer knew this would be illegal...yeah, we stayed with soccer.
This business is cutthroat. Our gym owner originally had a partner. Partner wanted out, stay home with family and said a "non-compete" was unnecessary. She was done. 2 years later, built a badass new gym on the other side of town and now we have 2 local options. And she's a better coach, IMO.
Gaby's parents are terrible. I get Morgan's dad was a POS but maybe he should have recognized her skills as a child and exploited her on social media and use her to sell bikinis so she wouldn't have to live in a trailer by herself? That said, Gaby has the perfect cheerleader "look". Can't explain it, just see it. I wish she'd realize she's an adult and her parents don't have POA anymore.
I was surprised by the little things that weren't perfect. Morgan's jumps were not good. Allie was a noodle. That's why she'd get dropped. Ladarius in the military may work out? It's sad so much is put into this to only find yourself back at your gym as a coach. It's happened with a friend's son. He actually went to a NJC tryout and was blown out but our local gym woefully prepared him for what's out there.
I hope things workout for Lexi. As a tumbler, she's still on an island. As a stunter, base or flyer, you've got to learn to trust people, even if you do like them.
Rant over.
aTmAg
AG
rather be fishing said:

aTmAg said:

I saw on reddit several years ago a black girl who puts all these at Navarro girls to shame. I'm no expert, but she looks to me like she could have been a national gymnastics competitor if she chose that path instead.
Did anyone else read this comment and cringe?
Get over it. There is nothing remotely racist about that statement.

Snowflakes are getting out of hand.
Drawkcab
Anagrammatic Nudist said:

Drawkcab said:

GTFO with your weak ass troll.

So I guess they do. Ok.
TexAgBolter
AG
Sorry. Thought this was a Cheers on Netflix thread. I'll see myself out.
Anagrammatic Nudist
AG
Whatever helps you sleep better at night bud. Pathetic ass troll.
The Shank Ag
Pew Yew. Yea. Period. Tastes like chicken. Shark bait ooh haha. Welcome to the ring of fire. THE RING OF FIIRREE

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.