Cheer on Netflix

12,199 Views | 91 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by The Shank Ag
aTmAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anagrammatic Nudist said:

aTmAg said:

aTmAg said:

Why wouldn't she go to some top D1 school then? Why go to a community college? Were her grades not up to snuff?

Do these girls tend to graduate from JUCOs to a D1 school like that Jerry guy (except do cheer there)?
Navarro is actually a better cheer program than many top D1 programs. But the answer is somewhere in between for your first question I would imagine.

On your second question, the answer is yes. One of the girls on the show, Brooke, now cheers at Texas Tech.
Is Texas Tech considered a step up from Navarro Cheer-wise? Or is she trading a better cheer school for a 4 year degree (and an STD)?
Texas Tech is one of the premier competitive cheer schools in the nation and is obviously a step up in education opportunities. For the STD stuff, you'll have to take to the old rivalries board. Not sure how that is apropos here.
Would Texas Tech be considered better than Navarro?
SACR
AG
aggiespartan said:

Is Gabi Butler really that good? The series seemed to hype her up but she came off looking sort of average compared to the other girls.
Gabi is terrific, but she makes the point early on that every single cheerleader at Navarro is the best of the best.

Gabi's advantage was that she was on social media as a pre-teen, and has 778k followers.

I think Lexi may be the most talented out of all of them.

They didn't show this on the show, but she broke a finger, so she did her whole tumbling routine without using her hands. That's talent.
SACR
AG
Quote:

Do you seriously not understand the difference between a community college and a four-year university?

It is irrelevant if Navarro is 'better' than Tech, it isn't like she can stay at Navarro for another two years and get another degree.
SACR
AG

I saw that A&M's competitive cheer squad is back-to-back national champs in all-girl intermediate 1A division. How competitive is that division?
aTmAg
AG
SACR said:

Quote:

Do you seriously not understand the difference between a community college and a four-year university?

It is irrelevant if Navarro is 'better' than Tech, it isn't like she can stay at Navarro for another two years and get another degree.
Apparently Navarro has been "grand champion" 5 times, which we have been told in this thread is across all divisions. So it's not far fetched to wonder if Navarro is better than Texas Tech.

And it's relevant because I am wondering if the mat cheer competitors can basically waltz into most D1 schools if they want (except for the super elite ones) or if they have a hard time getting in? In short, are they typically nobody's, or are they like Aaron Rogers and Cam Newton when they came from JUCO?
aTmAg
AG
I saw on reddit several years ago a black girl who puts all these at Navarro girls to shame. I'm no expert, but she looks to me like she could have been a national gymnastics competitor if she chose that path instead.

Edit: found her

Anagrammatic Nudist
AG
SACR said:

I saw that A&M's competitive cheer squad is back-to-back national champs in all-girl intermediate 1A division. How competitive is that division?
It's actually a very competitive division. A&M's competitive cheer team is one of the most unheralded "teams" on campus versus their competitive results. My daughter would come here in a few years 100% if there was just a gameday squad as well.
Anagrammatic Nudist
AG
SACR said:

Here are the results from last year. 1st out of 14 schools. Some very good competitive squads here. http://nca.s3.varsity.com.s3.amazonaws.com/Files/Competitions/Nationals/CN/intermediate_all-girl_division_IA_finals.pdf

This is the "Intermediate" level. There is one higher level of "Advanced", which is what Texas Tech won last year in the Large Coed division, beating out another powerhouse of Louisville. http://nca.s3.varsity.com.s3.amazonaws.com/Files/Competitions/Nationals/CN/coed_cheer_division_IA_finals.pdf
Hey...so.. um
Wow, came back to say i watched it and there were 30+ replies from my last post.

It was great. I'm guessing they didn't win grand champion last year? I will have to look that up.

Jerry was awesome and i wish i was more like him sometimes. Morgan was toughest person on the show and you could tell how much respect she had for monica. She went from not being on mat to being a key piece of the routine while her ribs were crashing in. Her story was sad too.
Goose
AG
My daughter has a quick cameo in the first Episode. She's at CA in Plano and they show some footage of her team practicing last year. Even gets her name called out when the Coach yells "C'mon, Caroline!"
aTmAg
AG
You need to get her an agent.
SACR
AG
Hey...so.. um said:

Jerry was awesome and i wish i was more like him sometimes. Morgan was toughest person on the show and you could tell how much respect she had for monica. She went from not being on mat to being a key piece of the routine while her ribs were crashing in. Her story was sad too.
Gabi's parents are getting ripped online, but no one is talking about what absolute sh it Morgan's father is, and how great her grandparents are.
jschroeder
Nobody going to mention the cameo by Dr. Skaggs in the first episode?
aTmAg
AG
As a guy who has had back surgery, I winced when that one dude was practicing though his back injury. That's the sort of thing that can do permanent damage. I'm surprised the trainer didn't stop it.
SACR
AG
aTmAg said:

As a guy who has had back surgery, I winced when that one dude was practicing though his back injury. That's the sort of thing that can do permanent damage. I'm surprised the trainer didn't stop it.
I don't think it was as bad as portrayed, and they embellished the situation a little. Seriously doubt he was in any danger at all, quite certain it was just a pinched nerve.

I think it was included just to show that Monica could be a hard ass if she needed to be.
Anagrammatic Nudist
AG
The embellishments almost kill this show to me, especially the same sound effect when any flier hits the mat. It's awful, over-amplified, and literally the same sound effect for every fall. Once you realize this, it's hard to take the rest of the action footage seriously.
Hey...so.. um
SACR said:

Hey...so.. um said:

Gabi's parents are getting ripped online, but no one is talking about what absolute sh it Morgan's father is, and how great her grandparents are.

To me, this was the biggest story. I guess I understand gow big of a star Gabi is in the cheer world, but i had very little interest in her story. I've seen the overzealous parent of the talented kid way too many times. Kid gets burnt out of a sport they used to love bc of the parents.

Morgan's story was compelling. What got me the most was Monica saying that Morgan was a pleaser. That is sad when a kid just wants to please an adult parental type of figure. I totally understand the rib injury thing too. I played QB in high school with severely bruised ribs and it was so painful with every hit. My Oline was worse than the aggies this year. Her injury was worse than that and she kept going.
Anagrammatic Nudist
AG
Finally finished the show... just a couple of thoughts:

1) Great show. As a cheer parent that lives and dies with our own high-level flyer, this show nailed so many of the emotions we feel while watching practices and competitions. This series has helped fill a huge missing piece of the All-Star and Collegiate Cheer world in terms of the behind-the-scenes work required to excel at the sport.

2) Monica is a fantastic coach.

3) As I said before, I wish the added sound effects on falls wasn't there, but oh well.

4) They only showed the Finals at Daytona, Day 2. Thought that was a bit odd, as the prelims (Day 1) count for 25% of the final score. Day two counts 75% of the final score. After Day 1, Navarro held a 97.9 to 97.0 lead over TVCC, both hitting with zero deductions. On Day two, Navarro had a 97.82 with the one deduction, and TVCC had a 97.38 also with one deduction.

5) Hoping this becomes a multi-season series following a new team each year.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Talked with my someone last night about it, and they mentioned how the saddest part of the whole deal is that these girls (and guys) spend tens of thousands of dollars training for these competitions, probably causing long-term damage in their joints, head and spine, and then after college there isn't really an avenue for them to make a living off of it when they graduate.

I suppose it's the same with gymnastics though. It's just the nature of the sport that your peak is when you are a teenager.
Anagrammatic Nudist
AG
There is big money in coaching, choreography, gym ownership, and private lessons, etc, for many. But it's very true for most.

The main thing my daughter gets out of it is a passion for training, competing, and achieving goals. We continue to happily fund that passion which keeps her way too busy to get in trouble from other distractions. She was lucky enough to be on a team invited to the Majors last year, which was an insane experience for an 11 year old. We've got four years of Worlds' teams starting next year and I can't wait.

Definitely Not A Cop
AG

There is big money in coaching, choreography, gym ownership, and private lessons, etc, for many. But it's very true for most.

The main thing my daughter gets out of it is a passion for training, competing, and achieving goals. We continue to happily fund that passion which keeps her way too busy to get in trouble from other distractions. She was lucky enough to be on a team invited to the Majors last year, which was an insane experience for an 11 year old. We've got four years of Worlds' teams starting next year and I can't wait.

Oh I'm sure. Not knocking it. Just one of the realities for most college athletes. Cheerleading and gymnastic peaks just seem to come a little sooner than most sports.
Anagrammatic Nudist
AG
Most definitely a harsh reality for so many. I thought the series did a great job with that.
jschroeder
Cheerleading is no different than any other sport in that almost everyone who makes a living doing it does it as a coach.
SACR
AG
Champ Bailey said:

Talked with my someone last night about it, and they mentioned how the saddest part of the whole deal is that these girls (and guys) spend tens of thousands of dollars training for these competitions, probably causing long-term damage in their joints, head and spine, and then after college there isn't really an avenue for them to make a living off of it when they graduate.

I suppose it's the same with gymnastics though. It's just the nature of the sport that your peak is when you are a teenager.
That is literally like every other sport, though. Most people don't advance past HS in a sport. If you're good enough to do it in college, excellent, but most sports are not ones you can go pro in, and of the major professional sports, a minuscule portion of the population is good enough to make it as a pro.
Canyon99
The LaDerius backstory was pretty sad.
Ag_07
AG
Canyon99 said:

Yeah and I thought the best part of the entire show was at the end seeing his brother watching him and crying.

Pretty touching moment they were able to capture.
SACR
AG
Ag_07 said:

Canyon99 said:

Yeah and I thought the best part of the entire show was at the end seeing his brother watching him and crying.

Pretty touching moment they were able to capture.
Yup.

I do think they told him to play up his theatrics a little for the camera.

I'm sure he's extra, but not so sure he is THAT extra 24/7.
West Point Aggie
AG
Cheer squad smack talk...that's weak even TA standards of weirdom
Let’s Go Brandon!
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
SACR said:

Champ Bailey said:

That is literally like every other sport, though. Most people don't advance past HS in a sport. If you're good enough to do it in college, excellent, but most sports are not ones you can go pro in, and of the major professional sports, a minuscule portion of the population is good enough to make it as a pro.

I agree, my point was that in most other sports, the peak of your talent happens around your late 20's through your early 30's. With cheer and gymnastics though, it seems like the peak is between 15-20 years old.

I could have said it better probably.
Thinice
SACR said:

Some people on Twitter are bemoaning the Texas government class prof.

Anyone have an issue with her?

I thought her pointing out the stereotypical view people have of Texans was pretty accurate.

My son is an athlete at Navarro and you can see him in that class video, really liked the teacher.
aTmAg
AG
I spent less than $30K on my daughters soccer over her entire childhood. She got a free ride to play in college that costs $30K per year. Even if she never touches a soccer ball again now that she's graduated, it was worth it.

I suspect cheer is no different.
AMW2010
AG
Just finished the first season.

I thought that was absolutely amazing!

I really loved the big F U to Varsity in the last episode when they are like what do you think about iPhones? Then it cuts to the next scene and was like we were denied to record so the following footage was shot with phone cameras.

I've had lots of family and friends who were big in competitive cheer and so family, that in their hay day were as big as Gabi.

For me what hit hard was hearing some of the coaches speeches from different organizations about you can't do this after a certain point in your life. And I really connected with the head coach and how tonight she was because I've had coaches like her that changed my life for the better and I use those philosophies how I coach my students to do their best.
SACR
AG
I think I first saw it on Twitter, but Lexi is back at Navarro

The rave they showed her at was actually video footage taken before the season.
aTmAg
AG
SACR said:

That seems strange to me. After this documentary I assume she can recruit whoever she wants. So if figured she would stick to her guns and not take Lexi after breaking the law. Unless the charges got dropped or something. Otherwise, what she's going to tell all the girls who do obey the rules?
SACR
AG
aTmAg said:

SACR said:

That seems strange to me. After this documentary I assume she can recruit whoever she wants. So if figured she would stick to her guns and not take Lexi after breaking the law. Unless the charges got dropped or something. Otherwise, what she's going to tell all the girls who do obey the rules?
I figure either charges were dropped, or someone else copped to possession. I'm not exactly sure how to prove possession if it is in the car, and no one claims it. You can charge everyone, but if you can't prove who it belongs to?
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.