*****Brandon Sanderson's the Cosmere Thread*****

8,550 Views | 103 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by PatAg
AgHawkeye
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Salt of the water said:

I started with Mistborn and then read Elantris.

Took a break to do a re-read on Glen Cooks Black Company.

Then I read Warbreaker and now I'm tearing through Stormlight Archives. Couldn't put the first book down in the back half and the second book is shaping up to be the same. I'm kind of glad I didn't start on Stormlight. I think the others may have been a bit of a let down afterwards.

Debating whether to read Wax and Wayne while waiting for SA 4 or whether to read the peripheral short story type stuff.

If I had only one story to read the rest of my life it would be the last third of Way of Kings and the story of Bridge 4.
heddleston
AG
Definitely read Wax & Wayne and all the short stories in Arcanum Unbounded, it has Edgedancer (a novella about Lift that takes place between WoR and Oathbringer) and then Secret History, which has minor Wax and Wayne spoilers, but has MASSIVE Cosmere implications and stuff. Shadows of Silence in the Forests of Hell and Sixth of the Dusk do too.
Absolute
AG
maverick2076 said:

If you haven't read Skyward, you need to. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Read that. Missed the short stories. Gonna go back and read elantris (doing that now) and war breaker to see if I can see how they tie in the universe.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
heddleston said:

If era 3 excites you just you wait for era 4! ALLOMANCERS! IN! SPAAAAAAAAAACE!!!!!!!

With movies, I guess I'm just pessimistic about them getting a big enough budget to do it right, and that's why I lean toward wanting it to be animated. If they did it right, it would be absolutely incredible.

Era 3. Allomancer SWAT Team vs a Mistborn Serial killer. Boom.

As far as a screen adaptation is concerned, if done correctly, it would be badass. The characters and character development in the novels are obviously incredible and can really translate to screen with the right hand. And as a fanboy, I will accept a lot of changes for the sake of making good tv, within reason. Make it less about the fantasy elements and more about the people, and you could have a winner. Just need some deep pockets like Netflix or Amazon or HBO to really do it justice.

Is Bezos a BS fan like he is of the Expanse?!
AG
heddleston said:

Definitely read Wax & Wayne and all the short stories in Arcanum Unbounded, it has Edgedancer (a novella about Lift that takes place between WoR and Oathbringer) and then Secret History, which has minor Wax and Wayne spoilers, but has MASSIVE Cosmere implications and stuff. Shadows of Silence in the Forests of Hell and Sixth of the Dusk do too.

Arcanum Unbounded was so badass. Left me wanting so much more in the best possible way. SoSitFoH was riveting and a great read. The spoilers from Secret History......****. I don't even know where to begin. I want more Khriss that's all I can say, lol
bearamedic99
AG
Way of Kings is $2.99 today for Kindle or nook. Spread the good word
Chase McGuire

Good thing I just started my re-read.
hunter2012
AG
So the official waiting begins...

CapCityAg89
AG
Chase McGuire said:

I'll start mine in August or will just be frustrated.
Quad Dog
AG
That's an interesting problem. When to start a reread to match up with release? I think Goodreads has reading statistics to help out.
AG
Oh **** yeah. Definitely going to do a re-read sometime next year (WoK, WoR, Edgedancer then Oathbringer)
PatAg
AG
Quad Dog said:

That's an interesting problem. When to start a reread to match up with release? I think Goodreads has reading statistics to help out.
I would imagine you just need to know how quickly you read. I know I read faster than the average person, so I'll wait till closer.
CapCityAg89
AG
Plus on a re-read I skip stuff. Cough. Cough. Early Shallan. Cough. Cough.
CapCityAg89
AG
The question is balancing this reread with the Wheel of Time reread. Good problem to have I guess.
Sentinel
AG
Just finished the entire Cosmere to date. Been listening to some podcasts to help make sense of it all. Ready to start a reread!
Absolute
AG
Podcasts? Do tell......
heddleston
AG
These guys do great reviews and discussions of tons of Fantasy & Sci-Fi: https://www.thelegendariumpodcast.com
Sentinel
AG
I've been listening to Shardcast. It can be a little hard to listen to, but they really know their stuff. I have Legendarium, Cosmere Conversations, and Sandersonian Institute of Cosmere Studies on my list to get to.
dc509
AG
Chase McGuire said:

Awesome!
Absolute
AG
Finished starsight. Pretty good. Lots of stuff to open to continue the story. How does he come up with this stuff?

Figure I will start my reread in the spring so I can take breaks in between. 4 of those books in a row would be a bit much.
Engine10
AG
I finally made the plunge into The Way of Kings as my first book. I prefer audio - the recording is a casual 45 hours long by Kate Reading and Michael Kramer.

About halfway through now and I'm officially hooked. Thanks to all for providing some universe/order guidance earlier in the thread, this is gonna be awesome.
Absolute
AG
I have some of them on audio. They are good. Don't love the lady reader, but can deal with it.

I find it to be a slightly different experience to listen to it, compared to reading it.
Quad Dog
AG
https://www.brandonsanderson.com/state-of-the-sanderson-2019/
Quote:

PART THREE: UPDATES ON MAJOR PROJECTS
THE STORMLIGHT ARCHIVE
Book Four has a release date next year on November 17th. I allowed Tor to set this because I'm confident that we'll meet itso we should be in good shape for that release, barring some catastrophic responses that I haven't anticipated during alpha/beta reads. The tentative title for the book is still Rhythm of War, but because of the way Stormlight books work (where each book title is an in-world book title as well), I can't 100% say that will be the title in this case until the book is finished.
When Book Four is done, we'll have only one more book in the first Stormlight sequence. As I've been saying for years, Book Five is one of the major end points of the series. I anticipate writing that in 2022, for a 2023 release. Yes, I know, many of you wish those gaps were shorter. It's turned out that a three-year gap is best for my writing psychology, so we're going to stick with that for now. And, since they're each as long as four regular books, it's like getting a Stormlight book faster than one per yearexcept you have to save them up to read in batches.
MISTBORN
I had hoped to squeeze in Wax and Wayne Four this year, but falling behind a month (plus the aggressive tour schedule) made that impossible. I sometimes forget just how much touring takes out of mewhich is partly why there wasn't a Starsight tour. (And partly why I put that question in the survey about how to make book tours a little less exhausting.)
I consider Wax and Wayne's final book to be imperative to finish before I start Stormlight Five. Starting in July, once Stormlight Four is fully revised and turned in, I'll have two main projects demanding my attention. Wax and Wayne four is one of those, Skyward is the other. (I might need to get to Skyward Three before it, FYI, depending on how much Stormlight burns me out on epic fantasy. But both Skyward Three and Wax and Wayne Four should be finished by the end of the year next year.)
After that, it will be time for me to be looking to Era Three of Mistbornwhich will be written in the years between Stormlight Five and Stormlight Six.
STATUS: Wayne is threatening to beat me up if I don't get to this soon. 2021 or maybe 2022 release for the final book.
SKYWARD
Book Two is out, if you somehow missed that fact. I'd like to say thank you to everyone for indulging me so much on my side projects. Starsight was a huge success, even without me touring for it. These books are really fun to write, and good for my writing as they allow me to relax between big Cosmere projects. The fact that all of you are willing to embrace and read them is quite gratifying. One of my biggest fears becoming an author was that I'd get locked into doing only one thing, then get burned out on it.
As you can see from the last 15 years of my publishing career, I am interested in a lot of different things. The fact that you've been willing to read about Spin, Jerkface, and Doomslug as readily as you do about Kaladin, Dalinar, and Shallan is wonderful to see. Thank you so much for making this new series a success.
STATUS: Should write Book Three sometime late next year. 2021 release is likely.

bearamedic99
AG
Stormlight Archives book 4 (due in November) is titled Rhythm of War
Exsurge Domine
bearamedic99 said:

Stormlight Archives book 4 (due in November) is titled Rhythm of War

Damn. I was really hoping for Rhythm of the Night
Pepper Brooks
AG
I'm not going to be able to get that song out of my head today
YouBet
AG
I'm reading Mistborn #3 right now. About 40% in. I can't help but parallel the mists with COVID right now. The whole story line about Elend requiring his army to be inoculated by the mists before they march on one of the cities knowing that 16% of them will get sick and/or die.

Good book. Better than the first two by far.
Quad Dog
AG
I've almost made a few replies, but they are all mild to moderate spoilers and I wouldn't want to ruin anything for you.
hunter2012
AG
Mistborn 2 is probably Sanderson's least popular Cosmere book. I get that it had little action in it but was it really that bad? I liked the political intrigue of a besieged city.
YouBet
AG
hunter2012 said:

Mistborn 2 is probably Sanderson's least popular Cosmere book. I get that it had little action in it but was it really that bad? I liked the political intrigue of a besieged city.

Elantris - his first book - was his poorest. Mistborn 2 is right behind it. All that to say I've only read Elantris, it's related novella, and Mistborn 1-3.

I have found it odd that he went out of his way to hide or at best allude to what was really happening in 1 and 2, but then with 3 he's vomiting out every behind the scenes detail about how everything works.
dc509
AG
YouBet said:

hunter2012 said:

Elantris - his first book - was his poorest. Mistborn 2 is right behind it. All that to say I've only read Elantris, it's related novella, and Mistborn 1-3.

I have found it odd that he went out of his way to hide or at best allude to what was really happening in 1 and 2, but then with 3 he's vomiting out every behind the scenes detail about how everything works.
The audio book has a prologue from someone he went to college, and he discussed that in college Sanderson was really interested in the non grand aspect otherwise grand epics. He wrote several things for their writing club, and the club reviews were essentially that he put together the framework for a great story but left out the action. I'm glad I understood that before Elantris because that is what the story felt like.
YouBet
AG
dc509 said:

YouBet said:

hunter2012 said:

The audio book has a prologue from someone he went to college, and he discussed that in college Sanderson was really interested in the non grand aspect otherwise grand epics. He wrote several things for their writing club, and the club reviews were essentially that he put together the framework for a great story but left out the action. I'm glad I understood that before Elantris because that is what the story felt like.

Agreed. His novella on same world was really good though.
hunter2012
AG
The Emperor's Soul is awesome.

Yeah I suppose Elantris is the proverbial weak link but I think the characters really made up for the lack of action. The priest in particular...
AG
its definitely fascinating to see the progression he made, not only in quality but also in style, from elantris, thru mistborn and into the Stormlight Archive. a really interesting prose study to see how much better he got. elantris is probably the weak link, but the nuggets of greatness were definitely there. will be interesting whenever he can get around to Book 2 of Elantris or Book 2 of Warbreaker to really see the difference.
----------------------------------------------------------
America's destiny is not of our own choosing. We did not seek nor did we provoke an assault on our freedom and our way of life. We did not expect nor did we invite a confrontation with evil. Yet the true measure of a people's strength is how they rise to master that moment when it does arrive.
PatAg
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.