*****Brandon Sanderson's the Cosmere Thread*****

8,565 Views | 103 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by PatAg
hunter2012
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
As warning be careful if you want to avoid revealed info. 17th shard is a dangerous place to be when bored browsing. I just learned that Vasher is in Stormlight and not just a cameo either, a recurring supporting character. Looking at it the hints are there but I guess I missed it on a first reading.

How do we want to handle confirmed information but isn't stated clearly in the books? Most of it will be IDs of worldhoppers in Stormlight/Mistborn I would imagine.
aggietony2010
AG
I'm gonna have to re-read literally everything when stormlight iv comes out.
maverick2076
I always start a reread before a new book in a series comes out. I'm in the middle of The Blinder's Knife right now, getting ready for the release of The Burning White in a couple weeks.
Quad Dog
AG
Quad Dog
AG
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
hunter2012 said:

As warning be careful if you want to avoid revealed info. 17th shard is a dangerous place to be when bored browsing. I just learned that Vasher is in Stormlight and not just a cameo either, a recurring supporting character. Looking at it the hints are there but I guess I missed it on a first reading.

How do we want to handle confirmed information but isn't stated clearly in the books? Most of it will be IDs of worldhoppers in Stormlight/Mistborn I would imagine.

I read that before I did a reread and having read Warbreaker. Kinda obvious when you know, but otherwise not something you would pickup on immediately. More obvious was the lighthouse keeper in Shadesmar. Not that you would know anything if you hadn't read Warbreaker, but definitely a holy **** moment when he asked Kal what heightening he was.
hunter2012
AG
...and that wiki taught me more things. Good grief that dip into shadesmar is apparently dripping with crossovers and cameos.
MW03
AG
I have a decent commute, so I listened to these books as opposed to reading them. The upside is that Michael Kramer is awesome. The downside is that I don't care for Kate Reading. She hurt my enjoyment of Shallan a bit.
hunter2012
AG
MW03 said:

I have a decent commute, so I listened to these books as opposed to reading them. The upside is that Michael Kramer is awesome. The downside is that I don't care for Kate Reading. She hurt my enjoyment of Shallan a bit.
Yeah, her voice for the male characters isn't that great either. That might just be that Kal is a better character anyway though. Shallan has seen some sh*t, Kal is living it...
Quad Dog
AG
If you are a listener, be sure to go look up the artwork and maps in these books. Some amazing work.
Max Power
AG
I haven't read any Sanderson until I started The Final Empire last weekend, and I'm really digging it so far. My issue with fantasy is that it either grabs me immediately, or it never takes. Tolkien is my favorite of all time, ever since I was a kid and read The Hobbit, nothing else has been better to me so far than that book and LOTR.

Fortunately, or otherwise, I found an author I like with a lot of material I can get into.

I tried The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie recently, and it just didn't grab me, I tried but had to stop as it just wasn't doing anything for me. After that experiment I decided I'd either go with Sanderson or Rothfuss, glad I went with Sanderson.
H6RBW
AG
Funny you say that about not getting into Abercrombie. I've found that can change over time.

A few years ago, my brother recommended that I read Way of Kings. I hadn't read anything by Sanderson at that point, but gave it a try. Hard for me to remember why now, but I had to force myself to finish the prologue...and I couldn't force my self to finish the first chapter. Just put the book down and wasn't interested enough to go back to it.

Last fall, after several years, I decided to give it another try. This time, I really liked it, and am not sure why it didn't grab me the first time. I devoured it, the rest of the series, and am now anxiously awaiting Stormlight 4.

So, maybe give The Blade Itself anther chance sometime. I enjoyed it, even if its not on the same level as Mistborn and Stormlight (you have to be realistic about these things).
AgHawkeye
AG
These types of stories sometimes just require the right frame of mind to get into. Long before the HBO show I had to start Game of Thrones 3 or 4 times before finally getting into it.

Way of Kings had me from the start though.
KidDoc
AG
H6RBW said:

Funny you say that about not getting into Abercrombie. I've found that can change over time.

A few years ago, my brother recommended that I read Way of Kings. I hadn't read anything by Sanderson at that point, but gave it a try. Hard for me to remember why now, but I had to force myself to finish the prologue...and I couldn't force my self to finish the first chapter. Just put the book down and wasn't interested enough to go back to it.

Last fall, after several years, I decided to give it another try. This time, I really liked it, and am not sure why it didn't grab me the first time. I devoured it, the rest of the series, and am now anxiously awaiting Stormlight 4.

So, maybe give The Blade Itself anther chance sometime. I enjoyed it, even if its not on the same level as Mistborn and Stormlight (you have to be realistic about these things).
I see what you did there with the last phrase!

I love Joe and Brandon. Very different but both create fantastic worlds and characters.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
H6RBW
HtownAg92
AG
I skipped all of the content of this thread because of potential spoilers, but I thank and curse whoever turned me on to Sanderson when I exhausted the GRRM writings. I love what I've read, but now I'm ruined for any other books until I get through with all of BS. I'm through the Stormlight, read Elantris and just finished Book 1 of the original Mistborn series. This is reading about 20 minutes per night while falling to sleep. It will probably take me a decade or two to finish it all.
aggietony2010
AG
HtownAg92 said:

I skipped all of the content of this thread because of potential spoilers, but I thank and curse whoever turned me on to Sanderson when I exhausted the GRRM writings. I love what I've read, but now I'm ruined for any other books until I get through with all of BS. I'm through the Stormlight, read Elantris and just finished Book 1 of the original Mistborn series. This is reading about 20 minutes per night while falling to sleep. It will probably take me a decade or two to finish it all.

Actually, at that pace, and the pace he writes, you'll probably be farther from finishing it than when you started.
Quad Dog
AG
Any other Reddit users have any favorite Cosmere subreddits?
https://www.reddit.com/r/Cosmere/ and https://www.reddit.com/r/brandonsanderson/ contains discussions about all the books, but they can have spoilers if you aren't careful.

There are the book specific ones:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Mistborn/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Stormlight_Archive/
Sanderson himself will post in these (https://www.reddit.com/user/mistborn/)

There's the art subreddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/imaginarycosmere/

And then there is the humor ones:
https://www.reddit.com/r/cremposting/ is Cosmere related memes. It can also contain spoilers.

And then my recent find, https://www.reddit.com/r/CosmereDadJokes/ that had this gem:
Quote:

So I just realized how Nightblood can be drawn safely

Just ask Shallan to do it
I won't link to the joke NSFW thread about exposed safehands. It's mostly not NSFW, just pictures of exposed left hands of women.

HtownAg92
AG
aggietony2010 said:

HtownAg92 said:

Actually, at that pace, and the pace he writes, you'll probably be farther from finishing it than when you started.
You're probably right. I just looked back at my Kindle orders - I ordered the first Stormlight book in July...of 2018.

But also forgot that I mixed in The Operator and Blade Runner book during that time. But that's still a snail's pace.
OasisMan
AG
Way of Kings introduced me to Sanderson, I'm in love now

Waiting for book 4
Loved mistborn -- vin actually may be by favorite overall character
EdgeDancer was solid
Elantris just finished, I thought started slow but ended up liking it a lot

Was thinking of next mistborn series and this the convinced me
bearamedic99
AG
Welcome
Quad Dog
AG
Since you mentioned Book 4
https://www.reddit.com/r/Stormlight_Archive/comments/du30gp/stormlight_book_four_update_6/

Quote:

Hey, all! Dropping in to give you another quick Stormlight Four update. (See the previous update here.) Though most of my team is gearing up for the Starsight launch in a few weeks, I'm buckling down for the final push to finish writing Stormlight Four.
I didn't get a ton written during my tour last month, but I didn't expect to. I did, however, have a little time--and I've focused lately on getting the last parts of the outline hammered together. There's still some work to do on book five's outline, but I've had the team move the outline progress bar to 100%--indicating that the book four outline is completely finished.
Right now, Parts One and Two of the book are done as well. Parts Three-Five have been finished for everything but the main, core viewpoint cluster. (So, if you've been following along, that means viewpoint clusters two and three are finished.) I've also done some work on the interludes, getting a nice chunk of those done, most notably the "through line" viewpoint for the Interludes.
Remaining to do are a handful of interludes and the core story for the second half of the book. Together, that should be around 100k words, though it's possible I'll go longer.
Now comes the toughest part of the push for me. I've got just under two months left before January first, which is the deadline by which I'll need to have the rough draft done if we want to publish in 2020. Since the book is looking really good, and the outline is solid, I'm confident that we won't run into any problems. By this point in a book (the 75% mark, which is where I am right now) I'm generally aware if the book will require any major edits or revisions. This one shouldn't, which means if I do hit that deadline, we're going to be in really good shape.
This means I need to write 100k(+) words in two months, with a book launch in the middle as well as two major holidays. So...we'll see. I was wise enough to know ahead of time that I'd need these weeks for writing, so decided not to do a tour for Starsight. I hope everyone will support the book anyway; my publisher is really worried that by not doing a tour, we might be leaving the book without support.
I, however, am confident that the majority of my readers would rather have me working on Stormlight than traveling about trying to persuade you to buy Starsight. (I assume this is particularly true for those of you on this subreddit.) I'm not terribly worried; from the reception Skyward has gotten, the second book should do just fine. So other than the launch party (which should be quite the extravaganza) I'll be keeping my attention on Stormlight.
As always, you can follow along via the progress bars on my website for more clarity. Also, Adam should be posting pictures there from my tour in Europe the next few weeks, along with some shots of me on the set of the Wheel of Time television show. (Assuming they ever get approved.)
I'll try to keep you updated as the deadline approaches, but it's likely the next big update you'll get will come at the annual State of the Sanderson blog post on or around my birthday next month. This should also be the last reddit update until you get the "It's done" update, hopefully right before the end of the year. (And, if you'll forgive me, I'm unlikely to be answering a lot on Reddit these next few months--and likely won't be saying much in this thread either.)
As always, thanks for your support and enthusiasm. Journey before Destination!
maverick2076
Sanderson's ability to communicate with his readers is almost as amazing as his storytelling.
heddleston
AG
Just finished my 2nd run thru Mistborn Era 1. Forgot how fantastic that series ended and it has me itching for Wax and Wayne 4 to finally get here and get Era 3 kickstarted.
Absolute
AG
maverick2076 said:

Sanderson's ability to communicate with his readers is almost as amazing as his storytelling.
Agreed.

Also cool how it shows the work and organization that has to go into the process. So much more than sitting down and pounding out a story.

One of my favorites! this thread made me realize I have missed a couple books and short stories. YAY!
maverick2076
If you haven't read Skyward, you need to. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
hunter2012
AG
heddleston said:

Just finished my 2nd run thru Mistborn Era 1. Forgot how fantastic that series ended and it has me itching for Wax and Wayne 4 to finally get here and get Era 3 kickstarted.

Apparently it's going to be a cold war era type spy thriller... with allowmancy and hemalurgy.
heddleston
AG
Yeah I'm super excited for it, even though it's gonna be 4 years before we see it.

Also, some of the landscapes in the Mandalorian looked just like the Shattered Plains on Roshar. Really made me want to see them try and make it work on the screen, maybe animated or something.
PatAg
AG
Someone is going to do either a movie or TV series on Stormlight Archives for sure, and it's going to be live action.
heddleston
AG
If they put SA or any other cosmere on the screen I'm not gonna complain, but Rosharans look so weird compared to regular humans (lower gravity, taller, longer, lankier) Many of the main characters' racial make-up doesn't make sense with regular human beings too. Aren't Alethi basically super tall southeast Asians with crazy hair? Roshar and Scadrial(at least in era 1) just look and feel so different from Earth and would be hard to convey without an insane amount of cgi, might as well just animate it.
PatAg
AG
heddleston said:

If they put SA or any other cosmere on the screen I'm not gonna complain, but Rosharans look so weird compared to regular humans (lower gravity, taller, longer, lankier) Many of the main characters' racial make-up doesn't make sense with regular human beings too. Aren't Alethi basically super tall southeast Asians with crazy hair? Roshar and Scadrial(at least in era 1) just look and feel so different from Earth and would be hard to convey without an insane amount of cgi, might as well just animate it.
Once you animate, you reduce the amount of people that would watch it by a large amount.
hunter2012
AG
heddleston said:

The Expanse was supposed to run into the same problems(like Belters being 7 feet tall on average) and there are ways around the problem. Largely by accents and taking a small scene here or there to point out anatomical differences. I think accents help a long way especially if the main setting is set to American english. I seriously think that with a massive budget the whole universe could make it as a show. Especially Mistborn and Stormlight as they had more epic scenes(with maybe the exception of the Elantran revival).
bearamedic99
AG
I never knew about Mistborn Era 3. That sounds bad ass.

I'm loving Wax and Wayne.
heddleston
AG
If era 3 excites you just you wait for era 4! ALLOMANCERS! IN! SPAAAAAAAAAACE!!!!!!!

With movies, I guess I'm just pessimistic about them getting a big enough budget to do it right, and that's why I lean toward wanting it to be animated. If they did it right, it would be absolutely incredible.
Salt of the water
AG
I started with Mistborn and then read Elantris.

Took a break to do a re-read on Glen Cooks Black Company.

Then I read Warbreaker and now I'm tearing through Stormlight Archives. Couldn't put the first book down in the back half and the second book is shaping up to be the same. I'm kind of glad I didn't start on Stormlight. I think the others may have been a bit of a let down afterwards.

Debating whether to read Wax and Wayne while waiting for SA 4 or whether to read the peripheral short story type stuff.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.