Star Wars Rewatch Project: EPISODE VI - RETURN OF THE JEDI

2,331 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by John Matrix
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
01.19 - Star Wars Rewatch Project: EPISODE I - THE PHANTOM MENACE
02.19 - Star Wars Rewatch Project: EPISODE II - ATTACK OF THE CLONES
03.19 - Star Wars Rewatch Project: EPISODE III - REVENGE OF THE SITH
04.19 - Star Wars Rewatch Project: SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY
05.19 - Star Wars Rewatch Project: ROGUE ONE: A STAR WARS STORY
06.19 - Star Wars Rewatch Project: EPISODE IV - A NEW HOPE
07.19 - Star Wars Rewatch Project: EPISODE V - THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK

The last of the original trilogy...

Title
Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi

Release Date
May 25, 1983

Director
Richard Marquand

Writer
Lawrence Kasdan, George Lucas

Carlo4
AG
How can they be jamming us if they don't know... we're coming
The Collective
AG
Not going to lie, this was my favorite SW movie as a kid.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
RotS is better. Do not like the Ewoks. Han is not nearly as cool in this one.

But the opening is pretty great. Throne Room is obviously epic. The space battle might be the best in the saga.

The SE Ewok Celebration music beats Yub Nub every time. And the added celebrations in Coruscant, Naboo, etc were great additions to tie the saga together.
Quad Dog
AG
I think I've posted this before, but this discussion always amuses me.
https://uproxx.com/movies/what-was-lukes-plan-star-wars-return-of-the-jedi/
Bruce Almighty
AG
Weakest of the original trilogy, and while it has its issues, it's not a bad movie. The Death Star is a rehash and the ending is a little too clean cut, but the space battles are the best of the originals, and the fight between Luke and Vader is great. The Ewoks are dumb and the whole worshipping C-3PO is just odd.

1. Empire Strikes Back
2. A New Hope
3. Revenge of the Sith
4. Return of the Jedi
5. Rogue One
6. Phantom Menace
7. Solo
8. Attack of the Clones
Vince Blake
Personally, this is my favorite SW movie (more specifically the original cut) and one of my favorite movies in general. I was 5 when it came out and it is the first movie I can vividly recall seeing in the theater--a small 2 screen theater on a hill near Richland Mall in Waco. I have a very nostalgic connection with RotJ. Love everything about it...even Ewoks. Though I feel bad for the innocent independent contractors that died when the Death Star blew up.

Fun piece of trivia-George Lucas wanted David Lynch to direct RotJ but Lynch turned it down.
oragator
Lots of good in this movie, but in retrospect it was a precursor for the problems with the second trilogy. Less grittiness, more technology, more of a cartoon feel.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I was 9 when this one came out, and had the 45 record, the larger picture book and the novel as well. The novel had tantalizing details of Lucas' vision of what the prequels would become - the first reference to the former Senator Palpatine, Obi-Wan describing his duel with Anakin to Luke saying that Anakin had "clawed his way out of that molten pit".

As a kid, I had never wanted to see a movie more than Return of the Jedi. There was no Internet to spoil us, no websites detailing every murmur coming out of the studios. No midnight shows. As I've mentioned before, we had to wait 2 agonizing weeks to see it because my dad worked on an oil tanker and his 3 months on didn't end until early June.

I love the colors of ROTJ, especially the first act - Jabba's castle is a masterpiece and the vision of the Sarlaac pit remains one of my favorite action scenes of any movie ever - so many moving parts and Lucas's homage to the Godfather when Leia chokes Jabba out.

I love the big briefing scene on the Rebel cruiser when they're going all in to kill Palpatine. I really hope they can recapture that magic in TROS. I really hope the Mon Cals jump back in to the fight to honor Admiral Ackbar. Another great part line from the novel that I wish had been in the movie comes when Luke calls out "I'm with you too!"
It's followed in the novel by "Cheers went up for the last of the Jedi."

The Ewoks are something that because of my age then, I cannot admit to being silly. I was 9. They were little guys whipping the big bully's ass. You don't have to be a child psychologist to figure out how that resonates with a third grader.

And the Luke/Vader/Palpatine showdown. I wasn't old enough to know that every movie geared towards kids is going to have a happy ending. Seeing Luke getting lit up by the Force lightning over and over with that mournful music playing was scary for a 9-year-old. I sort of remember thinking I hope Lando blows up the Death Star before the Emperor kills Luke so at least Luke doesn't have to suffer.

When Vader turns on the Emperor to save Luke's life, that's my favorite scene of any movie ever, and has been since 1983. More than Obi-Wan's first appearance in ANH (Obi-Wan remains my favorite character overall), more than when Eowyn kills the Lord of the Nazgul in ROTK - a scene I'd been waiting to see realized since I read those books in 5th grade; more than anything in Big Trouble in Little China, which is in my non-Star Wars top 5; more than the scene in Field of Dreams when Moonlight Graham changes back into a doctor to save the life of Ray's daughter.

At 45, ROTJ is a solid third, behind ANH and ESB, TFA 4th, Rogue One 5th, and the rest after that.
At 9, it was the movie event of a lifetime.
Flashdiaz
AG
How many of you tried to do the Luke plank trick on your local pool diving board?
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Until Infinity War, I don't think I'd ever had so much anticipation for any movie more than Return of the Jedi. Star Wars came at the perfect time in my life, age 10, and those first two were the greatest things I had ever laid eyes upon.

I had seen Empire on one of the two screens that it started on in Houston, the Westchase 5 theater, but by the time of Jedi, I was 16 and living in Lake Jackson. I remember being worried that Jedi would not open at the Lake Theater on 25 May 1983 that I was trying to devise a plan to somehow be in Houston on a school night for opening night. Thankfully, it didn't come to that; I talked to the manager at the Lake Theater, who confirmed that Jedi would indeed open in Lake Jackson on opening day.

Then came the parents. I was a sophomore in high school with solid grades and a biology final the day after Jedi's opening. The parents told me they would allow me to go to the movie only on the condition that I could guarantee an A on that final. I was able to make my case, and on that glorious Wednesday night, I sat down in that theater as excited as I've ever been to see a movie. Oh, and I aced the biology final the next day.

Regarding the movie ... I recall walking out after it was over and thinking I didn't really like it. The thought lasted for all of 10 seconds. When I started thinking about it, the movie was fantastic at its bookends of Jabba's palace and the big Rebel attack / Luke - Vader - Palpatine confrontation. The attack on the second Death Star was far more exciting than the first film's attack, was visually spectacular, and gave us new fighters in the A-Wing, B-Wing (which ultimately is seen in only a couple of shots), and the TIE Interceptor.

The confrontation between Luke and Vader, with Palpatine overseeing the duel before eventually joining it, was sheer awesomeness. Luke attempting to turn Vader back from the Dark Side, Vader hunting Luke in the dark, and then drawing Luke out with that one word - sister, hissed out as only James Earl Jones could do, brought out one of the most emotionally charged sequences in the entire saga. Luke driving Vader back with a furious charge, to the first use of a male choir in any Star Wars score. Then, enter Emperor Palpatine. "Now young Skywalker ... you will die." Ian McDiarmid could display seething hatred on his face like no one I've ever seen. The Force lightning sequence was damn right frightening in that we had not seen this ability out of a Force user previously. And to have Vader turn on the Emperor to save his son was timed perfectly, and was conveyed better than 14 years later when Lucas added Vader saying "No" in the SE.

Then we come to the film's middle act. In 1983, I felt like it dragged more than it should have. In the years since 1983, I would come to loathe George Lucas' reinvention of the teddy bear in the same way that many on here cannot stand Jar Jar Binks. I did not like the deification of C-3P0, but I did like the droid's recounting of the Rebels' story in his recruiting pitch to the teddy bears. I liked the speeder bike chase, but I initially did not like Luke's revelation to Leia that they are siblings. Her reaction didn't meet my expectations for how I thought she would react to learning this. In retrospect, her reaction is more aligned with what we know about the Jedi and those who are Force sensitive, in being able to just know things on some level. The attack on the reactor base was good, with the chicken walkers taking a more central role in this movie, and Harrison Ford copping a feel of Carrie Fisher's boob came to stand out to me in later viewings.

Jedi is the weakest of the OT. Presently, I rank it slightly behind the best of the PT, Revenge of the Sith.. The movies play off each other pretty well; I recall watching Jedi soon after I first saw Sith, and seeing the parallels between these movies, and determining that Jedi was still as good as I'd always thought it to be.

I love the score, but the initial LP release was almost insulting. The original two movies featured 2-LP albums, but Jedi gave us only one LP. So much of the score was just not available. It was not until the early 1990s that John Williams released a more complete version of the score, including the Emperor's theme for the first time, as well as more of the music in the first and third acts of the movie.

One kinda funny Jedi-related story to tell. In the spring of 1986 (I think it was), I had just changed my major at A&M to business, and was enrolled in a management class called the legal environment of business, or something similar. They had decided to hold class via videotape or on some TV channel. One day I was watching class at my apartment when my roommates came in making all kinds of noise, and wouldn't shut the F up. I told them to pound sand, and it was to Sterling C Evans for me. The library had some video stations where you could check out three quarter inch videotape of classes or regular movies. The players were in these little cubicle station things, with a small privacy wall between each station. The prof for this class had a receding hairline, and the studio lights shined off that bald dome of his, making it misery to watch and difficult to focus on what he was saying. Then I started to see some flashing lights coming from the station next to me. I leaned back in my chair a bit and took a peak; the dude next to me was watching Jedi, and it was at the point where Luke and Vader had just begun their duel. So I just sat there and watched the end of Jedi rather than my class.
double aught
AG
The throne room battle is one of my favorite scenes from any movie. Others have already put its awesomeness into words better than I could.

Also, special shoutout to this guy. Such contempt in his voice.

Cromagnum
AG
Quad Dog
AG
I always view Ewoks as the Star Wars version of Fremen. And that helps make sense of how they were able to defeat the Star Wars version of Sardaukar.
1997 AG
AG
Flashdiaz said:

How many of you tried to do the Luke plank trick on your local pool diving board?
Guilty.
cbr
AG
It had its moments but some of it was so, so bad.

chipotle
Pros:
-Kick ass space fight. Lando "the Taanab" Calrissian kickin ass and drinkin malt liquor
-leia outfits
-Nien Nunb shocked face

Cons:
-luke cryin like a bich again(pffffttt...lightning)
-storm troopers inability to kill living stuffed animals
-death by tossing into desert butt hole
-only one dead ewok scene
-blue glow hayden christensen
jm94
AG
I was 11 when this came out, which means all kinds of hype before seeing it. I liked it at the time, even though I knew it wasn't up to par with IV and V.

The only thing that bugs me these days is that when Han blows up the shield generator, he's like 100 feet away from this huge explosion, and his reaction shot is about as if he'd just watched his neighbor get the mail. He doesn't look up the mushroom cloud, there's no flash of light on his face, etc.
John Matrix
AG
Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back are perfect films. It is a rare thing for anything to be perfect and even rarer for two things consecutively to be perfect, but these films are. But now do you follow perfection? I'm reality, we know you can't. Filmmaking is an imperfect, human creation that inevitably suffers. It's why Tarantino is always talking about retiring after 10 films because, like elite athletes, elite artists know that Father Time is undefeated, and eventually, you're going to slip. Return of the Jedi is example of that. Return of the Jedi is a really good film, that isn't quite a great one, and that has haunted its reputation for 36 years. It's also underrated because of that comparison.

The Good:

1.the Luke/Vader Duel. Like others have stated already, this is the ultimate saber duel and set piece in the entire saga-an emotional, exhilarating conclusion to a personal story we can all relate to. What sometimes gets lost is the entire climax is just as thrilling. From the Ewok assault on Endor to,"its s trap," etc., this whole segment perfectly concludes almost all narrative threads in a satisfactory way while simultaneously being thrilling.

2. The Ewoks. Yup, I said it. I freaking love the Ewoks. I know they've been the target of ridicule for almost four decades now, and they do inevitably point to the cutesy, corporate-synergy infected storytelling decisions that eventually plagued the sequels, but they're awesome here. They're cute, funny, well-designed physically, and most importantly, further illustrate the thematically significant point of the underdog fighting back. Initially seen as a strange Vietnam allegory, the Ewoks fit in perfectly with the rebellion's own mission-a band of unlikely underdogs that topple an empire.

3.Hot Ass Princess Leia. Enough said.

The Bad:

2. Hans Rescue. Look, I like this sequence enough, but compared with the lean storytelling prowess of Star Wars and Empire, the opening act just takes too much damn time to get going. I love Jabba, hot Leia, etc., but it was kind of a drag to get through during this viewing.

3. Death Star II. I had to imagine that was seen as lazy even in 1983. And it still is 36 years later. While still featured in a great climax, I couldn't help but feel the laziness on this re watch.

The Ugly:

1. The Stupid Ass alien/rap battle/dance off on the special edition. This scene alone is what has prevented me from buying the blu rays of the special editions. It's stuff like this that has given me the patience to wait until the Fox merger and inevitable re release of the Un altered OT. This seen is not funny, lever, even nerdy-it's a scourge on film and should be destroyed as such.

Overall, Jedi accomplishes a lot of its goals and does it on thrilling fashion, but it's just not as good as Star Wars and Empire, and it's not fair in that regard. Especially compared to what was coming I n the future, we would be wishing for films as good as Jedi.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.