Star Wars Rewatch Project: EPISODE II ATTACK OF THE CLONES

10,891 Views | 106 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by The Collective
jokershady
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This is a continuation of a great idea TCTTS originally had of discussing and slowly watching each Star Wars movie throughout 2019 leading up to Episode IX releasing in December of this year.

Loved your first thread on this TCTTS! So just going to follow your format! Saw that it was February 5th and with the first thread being posted January 2nd and thought maybe you've been slammed busy.

Original Thread

Episode I - The Phantom Menace Discussion

Title
Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones

Release Date
May 16th, 2002

Director
George Lucas

Writer
George Lucas
Jonathan Hales (Screenplay credit)

jokershady
AG
Honestly, this is my least favorite of any Star Wars film that's been put on the big screen. It's way too boring and I've never actually sat through the whole film without falling asleep. Seriously even in the movie theater I nodded off for a few minutes while watching this. The only way I got by watching it this month was I kept myself busy in the kitchen and watched it while helping the wife out most of the time.

That being said there are things in the film that I thought were done well. For example, I loved seeing Yoda being used as a General of sorts during the final battle at the end. Was pretty awesome seeing this legendary Jedi control the battle from afar and giving out orders to the clone troops. And still now, getting to see him fight with a lightsaber is a lot of fun to watch, even if it's over the top goofy.

Another thing I enjoyed with this film was how it sounded. I know that may be a weird thing to focus on but I thought the sound effects in this one were done amazingly well. The biggest example of this for me is the fight between Obi-wan and Jango Fett in the Slave I. The sound effects are so good in that one scene it makes it really easy to overlook the terrible acting and dialogue from Jango and little Boba Fett.

Take a look again this month and share what you think.
Not a Bot
AG
I saw this movie on my first date. I was a dork.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Me when Yoda first pulled out that lightsaber...

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
And the always great John Williams, with one of his best themes in the series.

Urban Ag
AG
This was probably my wife's favorite because it was borderline romcom at times.

I actually don't hate this movie. I just hate the Anakin/Padme awkward romantic scenes, dialogue, and pretty much anything having to do with the senate. Ok, that's probably at least half the movie. ****.

What I enjoyed:
  • Obi Wan pursuing Jengo
  • Anakin going beserk on the Texas Tech grads
  • the droid factory
  • the final battle, pretty much all of it

The music is exceptional. I liked the ending scenes too.

It's not terrible.
Urban Ag
AG
Well......Hello there
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

• Obi Wan pursuing Jengo

Ag Since 83
AG
For those of you watching, enjoy all the coarse sand. Don't let it get everywhere.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Natalie Portman is the reason I work out. I have this fantasy where we start talking at the Vanity Fair Oscars party bar. We exchange a few pleasantries. She asks what I do. I say I loved her in New Girl. She laughs. I get my drink.

"Well, see ya," I say and walk away. I've got her attention now. How many guys voluntarily leave a conversation with Natalie Portman? She touches her neck as she watches me leave.

Later, as the night's dragged on and the coterie of gorgeous narcissists grows increasingly loose, she finds me on the balcony, my bowtie undone, smoking a cigarette.

"Got a spare?" she asks.

"What's in it for me?" I say as I hand her one of my little white ladies. She smiles.

"Conversation with me, duh."

I laugh.

"What's so funny?" she protests.

"Nothing, nothing... It's just... don't you grow tired of the egos?"

"You get used to it," she says, lighting her cigarette and handing me back the lighter.

"What would you do if you weren't an actress?" I ask.

"Teaching, I think."

"And if I was your student, what would I be learning?"

"Discipline," she says quickly, looking up into my eyes, before changing the subject. "Where are you from?"

"Bermuda," I say.

"Oh wow. That's lovely."

"It's ok," I admit. "Not everything is to my liking."

"What could possibly be not to your liking in Bermuda?" she inquires.

"I don't like sand," I tell her. "It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere."
The Collective
AG
Not a Bot
AG
Obligatory:

jokershady
AG
Flashdiaz
AG
I don't hate this one.

Jango Fett vs. Obi Wan in the rain was a good fight scene between a Jedi and non-force user.
Jango Fett dubstep bombs had awesome sounds and video
Dominatrix Padme
White outfit Padme
Lightsabers doing damage (chopping off heads, arms)
Anakin v Dooku -- double lightsaber Anakin and different camara angles when in the dark
Naboo (Italy) looked great

didn't like (not a complete list)
- C3PO droid factory scene
- Dooku tapping Obi Wan (follow through on any of those lightsaber strikes and Obi Wan loses a leg, arm).
- Boba Fett as a weird 8 yr old
- CGI Anakin riding a giant booger on naboo
- Dooku's character wasn't fleshed out, couldn't tell if he was lying to Obi-Wan. At the time it was ok because we still had EpIII but his character was quickly dispatched without giving him more depth.
jokershady
AG
Cactus Jack said:

Obligatory:

holy **** im only 2 minutes in to this and im laughing my ass off....how have I never seen this????
CE Lounge Lizzard
AG
I was 10 years old when I first saw The Empire Strikes Back. Ever since that day I wondered what Yoda would look like in a lightsaber battle. Despite some of the other things in Attack of the Clones that I wasn't a huge fan of I just about came unglued with excitement, 22 years later, watching Yoda fire up his lightsaber against Dooku. For that reason alone I won't dog Attack of the Clones too much despite the course sand line by Anakin.
V8Aggie
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Natalie Portman is the reason I work out. I have this fantasy where we start talking at the Vanity Fair Oscars party bar. We exchange a few pleasantries. She asks what I do. I say I loved her in New Girl. She laughs. I get my drink.

"Well, see ya," I say and walk away. I've got her attention now. How many guys voluntarily leave a conversation with Natalie Portman? She touches her neck as she watches me leave.

Later, as the night's dragged on and the coterie of gorgeous narcissists grows increasingly loose, she finds me on the balcony, my bowtie undone, smoking a cigarette.

"Got a spare?" she asks.

"What's in it for me?" I say as I hand her one of my little white ladies. She smiles.

I laugh.

"You get used to it," she says, lighting her cigarette and handing me back the lighter.

"Teaching, I think."

"Discipline," she says quickly, looking up into my eyes, before changing the subject. "Where are you from?"

"Bermuda," I say.

"Oh wow. That's lovely."

"I don't like sand," I tell her. "It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere."
KEEP GOING, I'M ALMOST THERE!
Quad Dog
AG
When I was introducing my son to Star Wars we watched them in the release order. So we had watched 4,5,6, and 1. We got about halfway through this movie and he got up and left the room during one of the "love scenes." He said we was bored and went to go play something else. I've asked him multiple times, but I've never been able to get him to finish this movie or move onto the third. He's even asked me questions about Grievous or Dooku and I've told him the answers are in the movies he hasn't seen. Still no interest.
The Collective
AG
V8Aggie said:

KEEP GOING, I'M ALMOST THERE!

double aught
AG
Easily my least favorite Star Wars film. The CGI is often unnecessary and looks pretty bad throughout (even for the time), and the story is boring. Portman in her white outfit is awesome, but not much else is.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Watching the trailers just brought back so many bad memories of this movie.

The awful dialogue and the wooden delivery. Hayden Christensen's terrible acting. The fact that it was obvious that there were no sets whatsoever....everything was shot against a green screen.

However, I always loved Jango Fett, Natalie Portman in the white outfit rivals slave Leia and the first Clone War battle was awesome.

I think the design of all the Republic ships are so damn good. Pretty much everything about the clone troopers (their armor design, their ships, their weapons) are the greatest legacy from the prequels.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, I've been so busy lately (finishing a script) that I totally forgot February 1st had come and gone. Thanks for picking up the slack! Bonus points for trailers and poster included. Couldn't have done it better myself.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Wes97
Render
AG
jokershady said:

Cactus Jack said:

Obligatory:

holy **** im only 2 minutes in to this and im laughing my ass off....how have I never seen this????

My friend, you're about to join the legion of RedLetterMedia addicts. And God, I know I'm one.

Plinkett helped me fully realize that the people who genuinely like the prequels have the common sense and good taste of 12 year olds.
The Collective
AG
I feel like this particular Star Wars thread has existed too long without cbr informing us of his thoughts about The Last Jedi.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I guess it's good that I was 12 when the PT started then.
A. Solzhenitsyn
Brian Earl Spilner said:

"Got a spare?" she asks.

I laugh.

"Teaching, I think."

"Bermuda," I say.

"Oh wow. That's lovely."

A+ fanfic

it's got humor, romance, suspense...beautiful.
Bruce Almighty
AG
This is the worst of all the Star Wars movies. The opening sequence is good, but there is too much dialogue and political crap being established, that this movie is just a complete bore. The romance is awful and looks like it was written by a 12 year old. The cgi is worse than Phantom Menace and the Yoda fight scene was over the top ridiculous.
elfurioso92
AG
Flying R2D2
The Kraken
AG
It's been so long since I've seen this one. All I can remember is Jim Rome going on and on about "attack of the clones" once the title was announced.
A. Solzhenitsyn
New World Ag said:

It's been so long since I've seen this one. All I can remember is Jim Rome going on and on about "attack of the clones" once the title was announced.
did you hear what he said about A&M?
Phat32
AG
That Jango Fett space bomb has the coolest sound a movie has ever produced.

Great thing to use to test a new AV setup.
YouBet
AG
Speaking of Clone Wars I"m watching that right now and it's been surprising how much more mortal the Jedi are depicted in that show. The Mandalorians kick Kenobi's ass on a few occasions.
Render
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I guess it's good that I was 12 when the PT started then.

I can't be too much of an @$$hole, tho. I love Galactic Battlegrounds, Clone Wars for GameCube, Jango Fett Bounty Hunter, Battlefront I & II... The prequels produced some great ancillary media.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.