Star Wars Rewatch Project: EPISODE I - THE PHANTOM MENACE

17,780 Views | 165 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by titan
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
As detailed in this thread from last month, January begins the Star Wars Saga Rewatch Project, and this month we start with The Phantom Menace. I have no idea how this is going to go - it could be a disaster considering we're starting with the prequels - but in the lead-up to Episode IX, consider this thread a place to discuss all things The Phantom Menace, for better and for worse; the plot, how it plays into the larger saga, the behind-the-scenes, etc. I've provided some videos below as a primer, but feel free to post others, rewatch the movie itself this month, and to weigh in regardless of whether you've rewatched the movie or not.

Title
Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace

Release Date
May 19, 1999

Director
George Lucas

Writer
George Lucas

TCTTS
AG
Personally, The Phantom Menace is actually my favorite of the prequels. Don't get me wrong, it's still a terrible movie, but It's the only one to me that feels like a *real* movie, if that makes sense. AOTC and ROTS are just too... digital... for my taste, and I can't stand Hayden Christensen's performance in either. Maul is easily the best villain of the prequels, the pod race sequence still holds up as one of the best action sequences of the franchise (even though it's way too goofy for my taste), the final light saber dual *is* the best of the franchise, and Liam Neeson anchors the movie with a certain weight that none of the other prequels have. It's also the only one shot on film, and you can just feel the difference, which speaks to my initial comment.

After all these years, what does everyone else think?
Aggie_Journalist
AG

Well, the poster was cool.
TXAG 05
AG
I can agree with that. Phantom isn't as bad as I remembered it being. I used to think that Sith was the best of the prequels but it was on tv a couple weeks ago and it was almost unwatchable. Clones is still a steaming mess.
Malachi Constant
AG
Watched the first half hour over the holidays and couldn't get over how hokey the whole opening scene was. Like "oh no! They sent Jedis!"

Anakin should have been a teenager, not a little kid. There would have been more to work with using a moody teenager that seems to always be kicking ass against his friends.
The Collective
AG
chipotle
"I'm a person and my name is anakin"

Still one of the worst written and performed lines ever. Belongs in The Room.
Carlo4
AG
Love watching it with the Darth Jar Jar conspiracy in your mind, and a bottle of alcohol.
The Collective
AG
chipotle said:

"I'm a person and my name is anakin"

The day my childhood melted away... still so much personal pain wrapped up in this movie's dialogue.
MBAR
AG
A rewatch really helped me remember that star wars as a series is really over hyped and doesn't really hold up too well. Mail is a cool villian tho. For me when I first saw this, the actual plir was so hard for me to follow. Trade federation what?

Cromagnum
AG
Asian stereotyping out the ass.
Hated kid Anakin. Adult Anakin wasn't any better.
Pod race scene was cool, but too long.
JarJar Binks is worst character introduced to the series.
Darth Maul was cool as hell. Glad to see him back in the Han Solo movie.
The music was really good in this one.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
If this doesn't get you hyped, you may want to call a doctor.

Aggie_Journalist
AG
It's hard for me to break down Phantom Menace because, more than anything, it makes me lament what could have been. I can't even focus long on what I like and don't like because I start thinking about how a totally different story would have been so much better.

That said, when I do think of Phantom Menace, here are the other first things that come to mind:
-Maul looked awesome.
-The lightsaber fights were awesome.
-Anakin getting in a fighter and "accidentally" destroying the entire robot invasion was soooooo lazy and dumb. Even if the rest of the movie were perfect, I don't think I'd be able to get over this.
-As a child, I did enjoy it on first viewing, largely because I badly wanted to enjoy it.
-The excitement and anticipation before the movie's release is something I've never seen for any other film, and I don't think it's something I'll ever see again, which is pretty cool.

Maybe I'll put it on in the background at some point this week and see if anything else jumps out to me.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Quote:

After all these years, what does everyone else think?
Ep 5 > Ep 4 > RO > Ep 3 == Ep 6 > Ep 7 > Ep 1 > Solo > Ep 2 >>>>>> Ep 8. Episode 8 is the only one of these movies that I have disdain for; it has some good, some even great, moments, but largely it is worthless. The rest of them, including The Phantom Menace, are good to great movies.

Having ranked the series as such, I'll say that The Phantom Menace gets way too much hatred. It was not the movie that I necessarily expected over 16 years (between May 25, 1983 and May 19, 1999) of anticipation, of considering how things might play out, etc. But it was a Star Wars movie that gave us a look at a galaxy far, far away that was not currently in a state of war.

Lucas once said that he never expected the first three episodes to be as successful (don't have a link for that, just something I recall reading in a magazine, likely Starlog). I tend to agree. Had he not presented himself as a numerically challenged filmmaker and started his saga with the actual first story back in 1977, I rather doubt we ever would have seen a second part.

My wife has, to my knowledge, never actually watched the entire movie from beginning to end. She claims it to be too boring. She has a point, to a degree. All the governmental machinations, the Senatorial stuff, the behind the scenes maneuvering that Senator Palpatine does, yeah, I can see that for some being boring. I took a somewhat different perspective on it, though, and compared it to how Adolf Hitler worked within the system of government in early 1930s Germany to get himself elected Chancellor (and we know what happened next). That to me was a compelling story and the comparison was likely intentional.

One thing that always bothered me when watching TPM, specifically during the Naboo fighter attack against the Trade Federation battle cruisers - it looks like those starfighters are plodding along like turtles in some scenes. I never had the sense of such slowness in any similar sequences in the original trilogy.

I loved the design in this movie. Those Naboo starfighters being chrome, or stainless steel, or whatever that metallic finish was supposed to be, as well as Amidala's ship, was a neat look. The battle droids were cool (up until they spoke, Roger Roger in a voice I didn't expect), the destroyer droids, the various pod racers which were basically jet engines attached to cockpits, all of that stuff was great. CGI Yoda never quite looked right when compared against puppet Yoda. Darth Maul was fantastic with what, half a dozen words?

The musical score was inarguably TPM's greatest strength.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

-Anakin getting in a fighter and "accidentally" destroying the entire robot invasion was soooooo lazy and dumb. Even if the rest of the movie were perfect, I don't think I'd be able to get over this.
It would've been so good if Anakin actually meant to do this. Like he was so in tune with the force that he was able to do it, at that age, on instinct alone.

This is the most powerful Jedi in the history of the galaxy? Cool. SHOW us.

(The Podrace did this, but they really should have taken the next step, and this moment was the perfect opportunity to do that.)
elfurioso92
AG
I also like TPM the best of the prequels. Still lots of cringe worthy moments, but it holds up better than the other two in my opinion. The lightsaber battle was good and the jedi actually did a few things other than lift rocks.
The Collective
AG
Damn; I just realized that I am going to have to borrow a copy of this movie from someone. I don't have it.
Presley OBannons Sword
I like that it has provided me and my friends with years of entertainment with random lines that we text each other out of the blue.

Ohh, maxi big da Force. Well dat smells stinkowiff.
PatAg
AG
Light saber battles, Darth Maul, Liam Neeson and Ewan McGregor, amazing music. Pod racing was actually awesome, just not executed well.

I really want to see the movie Topher Grace is rumored to have made of the prequels
SF2004
AG
Remember guys, even if you enjoyed the movie at release you must hate it and George Lucas in order to be cool on the Star Wars internets.
TajMaballer
AG
Darth Maul is aesthetically the coolest villain. Not a whole lot going narratively for me, but the final fight alone is pretty awesome.

Episode 1 as a whole is fun, but like others have said, the dialogue is the thing that brings it down for me. It just takes me out of the movie more than 2 and 3, which is why Phantom Menace is second to least favorite out of the movies. I still like the movie, just not as much as the others.

Side note: I don't remember where I read this, but Black Panther's 3rd act battle and Phantom Menace's 3rd act battle are very similar. Flight mission (Anakin/Ross), battle grounds (Naboo/Dora Milaje), and hand to hand fight (Obi Wan/T'Challa).
Flashdiaz
AG
TajMaballer said:

Side note: I don't remember where I read this, but Black Panther's 3rd act battle and Phantom Menace's 3rd act battle are very similar. Flight mission (Anakin/Ross), battle grounds (Naboo/Dora Milaje), and hand to hand fight (Obi Wan/T'Challa).
yeah but I didn't feel like I was watching a video game fight with the microsoft hill desktop when watching the Black Panther battle..
TV Casualty
AG
SF2004 said:

Remember guys, even if you enjoyed the movie at release you must hate it and George Lucas in order to be cool on the Star Wars internets.

It's ok to like a bad movie, but it doesn't change the fact that it's just bad.
Presley OBannons Sword
Quote:

Episode 1 as a whole is fun, but like others have said, the dialogue is the thing that brings it down for me. It just takes me out of the movie more than 2 and 3, which is why Phantom Menace is second to least favorite out of the movies. I still like the movie, just not as much as the others.
interesting perspective. I thought the dialogue got worse with every film.
jokershady
AG
Rewatched the trailers you posted and...man...those did nothing for me. If those trailers in that format were released now I don't think as many people would be excited.

Maybe it's just that movie trailers have gotten so much better now compared to almost 20 years ago....but jeez the first trailer you posted is abysmal. The second one is better but still not by much.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Quote:

First - I'm glad to have your permission to enjoy a movie, TPM in particular
Second - fact as used here is nothing of the sort; it is an opinion, to which you are entitled, but nothing more
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Phantom Menace -
An open field battle between the Gungans and the Trade Federation, which is actually a diversion in order to capture the Viceroy. The Gungans use a shield to protect their army. There is a space battle happening simultaneously.

Infinity War -
An open field battle between the Avengers / Wakandans and Thanos' army, which is actually a diversion in order to destroy Vision's infinity stone. The Wakandans use a shield to protect their army. There is a space battle happening simultaneously.

The Collective
AG
jokershady said:

Maybe it's just that movie trailers have gotten so much better now compared to almost 20 years ago....but jeez the first trailer you posted is abysmal. The second one is better but still not by much.

Watch a trailer for the Matrix; it's about the same era. Trailers definitely do not hold up.
twilly
AG

This also tells you how long South Park has been around.
Presley OBannons Sword
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Quote:

Second - fact as used here is nothing of the sort; it is an opinion, to which you are entitled, but nothing more

You might have his permission, but not mine.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Presley OBannons Sword said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Quote:

You might have his permission, but not mine.
I don't give a sh** about your permission.
rhutton125
AG
The movie that turned Jedi Knights into monks. Forbidden romance, midichlorians, prophecy / chosen one, training children... to the best of my knowledge, that all started here. And I feel like the franchise is far worse because of it.

If you could purge all things Star Wars from your memory and then watch the original trilogy again, I think you'd have a very different image of what Jedi are and aren't. Probably a much cooler image.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I enjoyed Phantom Menace. It wasn't great, it was inferior to the any of the original trilogy, but I was entertained. I think the movie has aged quite a bit, even more so than the originals, but for its time, it was visually spectacular. I think the story was pretty good, even though the details within the story were messy. The pod race was worth the price of admission alone. The writing was bad at times, the acting even worse. A lot of blame is put on the dude that plays Anakin, but the kid was like 8 years old. He did about as well as can be expected. I wasn't a huge fan of the ending where the victory was more of an accident, and Lucas made a mistake killing off Darth Maul. He had the potential to rival Vader is awesomeness. His character was wasted IMO. Midiclorians were dumb, but the light saber fighting is the best of any Star Wars movie. I give it 3 out of 4 stars.
Mr. White
I agree with pretty much all of the op. Filming on FILM makes such a difference. Felt like I was watching an actual movie and not a CD-Rom game.

I thought Natalie Portman did fine as Padme, but was far worse than Lloyd ever was when she was doing her Amedala scenes. I'm surprised she didn't get more grief for it.

The pod race and Maul scenes are what got me back into the theater multiple times. I also enjoy the brief scene in space where the droids are working on ship repairs during a battle. Very cool.

I rank it 7th out of the 10.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.