*** JOJO RABBIT *** (Taika Waititi)

20,479 Views | 127 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by mslags97
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Taika with the Oscar win for Best Adapted Screenplay.

Well deserved.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
This guy is hilarious.

Trident 88
AG
I finally watched this fantastic movie.

The degree to which I enjoyed Jojo Rabbit more than Parasite cannot be overstated.
littlebitofhifi
AG
Just here to pile on, but I also FINALLY watched this on a flight this weekend and absolutely loved it.

I don't typically display much emotion but I literally laughed out loud and shed a few tears in this one (enough so that I noticed my seat mate turn it on about an hour after I started it. I take full credit.). So incredibly well done.
mslags97
AG
My favorite of the year. Hands down. Gets better every time I watch it too!
TriAg2010
AG
This was an outstanding movie. The last scene where the two kids start dancing in the street brought tears to me eyes. There's too many other great scenes to list. And while it was not being a combat film, I think this belongs in the canon of great war films. Even with all the satire and comedy, there were so many times where I found myself thinking "Holy ****, all of these awful things really did happen."

Favorite scene: When Elsa looks a tiger in the eye by confronting the Gestapo officers.
Punked Shank
AG
This is playing in a novel older theatre by my place. I'm guessing it's worth the watch??
TCTTS
AG
Absolutely.
AgPediRPh
AG
Scarlett Johanssen was so good In this movie. I was blown away when she pretended to be his father and scolded him. You really got a sense of how overwhelming her situation was. Also heartbreaking when Elsa had to Heil in order to hide her identity.. I was very impressed by both actresses in this film.
TresPuertas
AG
I had no experience with Taika prior to randomly sitting down and watching a movie called "what we do in the shadows" and With that movie alone, I'll see anything he ever does. It's Seruously in my top 10 of all time movies. I love it so much. I love the TV show too.

I just got around (2 young kids will do that to you) to watching this and this may have leapfrogged WWDITS.

He took his singular humor and jammed it into the worst era of modern history and it worked brilliantly.

And then he ripped my guts out, which he never has done before. Being able to have that much depth was honestly shocking and I don't know if ANYONE but Watiti could have pulled this off. This movie was brilliance.

Understanding some people's gripes about the change of tone, but Germany under the reich was just such an awful awful place, it was necessary. Even the best of heart were touched by the brutality of the regime and we need to be reminded of that. The mom shows us the victims we're real people and that the countless lives lost weren't just statistics.

Seruously A++
RichardSplet
If you like What We Do In The Shadows, check out the film Taika did after it, Hunt for the Wilderpeople.
PharmD4
AG
Finally got to watch this...what a great movie. I loved how it was silly and lighthearted, yet personable and stirring. So well executed.
phatbc
We finally watched it tonight. Holy hell, blown away. Basically a perfect movie for me and one of my favorites in recent memory. So damn well done. A masterpiece in the truest sense.
TCTTS
AG
Heck yeah.

This is PERFECT stuck-at-home movie, one that will warm your heart.

Everyone who hasn't watched it, now is the time.
mslags97
AG
I cannot agree more! This is about as perfectly done as a movie can be. Just incredible. It's also my favorite in recent memory. Clearly a top 5 all time movie for me, and I am a movie junkie!!!

SJ was incredible. I echo the sentiments of how incredible she was when she played his father.... but-wrenching, but also some absolutely amazing acting!!!

Loved this movie. Everyone should watch this, and I will blindly go see anything made by TW from here on out.

I love Hunt for the Wilderpeople as well, btw.
Sports-Ag
AG
Saw it tonight for the third time. Glad more people are watching it and liking it.
Bud Fox
Watched last night. Great flick. Best movie I've seen since Hell or High Water.
Aggie09Derek
AG
Bud Fox said:

Watched last night. Great flick. Best movie I've seen since Hell or High Water.

Watched it last night and loved it.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
Add me to the late list. Loved it! Wife mentioned this morning that after about ten minutes of feeling bad for laughing during a Nazi movie she came around and loved it as well. Great movie.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
I'm late to the game here and I cannot really add anything that has not been said but...... I did not get to see it on first run because I was out of town when my wife and kids went to it and I missed it. But they were all raving about it. Finally rented it since I have a lot of time right now.

Outstanding movie. Just completely pleasing and poignant and touching and genuine and thought provoking while being equal parts achingly funny and painful at the same time.

Performances were just incredible - kids and adults alike. The lead kid was great but the kid's friend was just.... wow. And the girl was even more amazing. And Sam Rockwell damn near killed me in every scene - I always love him and his dry wit and delivery. He was nails. Then SJ... just absolutely perfect. She should have won best supporting actress imho... although Laura Dern was very good in Marriage Story. But SJ had more impact on this story than she did on that one - she was really more of a cameo there and not central to the story.

Anyway.....Bravo!!!!!!

I loved Parasite too and get why it won.....longterm this will be something I watch again and again though.

TCTTS
AG
If anything good comes out of this damn virus it's that more people finally had time to see this movie.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
this scene had me rolling....just such a great setup and execution.

After Hitler's be the Rabbit speech ....then his friend stumbles on him asking him who he is talking to......"nervermind" he says and he takes off running back to the boys training with Sam Rockwell's character.....and.......

the way Hitler runs alongside him, leaping comically, prancing, etc......
Sam Rockwell tossing his grenade and taking a swig while the kids aren't watching
the kid flies thru grabs the grenade - more comic assist by Hitler.....
throws it, hits the tree and Hitler exits stage left....
he blows himself up and Rockwell deadpans "don't do that"!!!!!!!!

ROTF LMAO

Aggie09Derek
AG
TCTTS said:

If anything good comes out of this damn virus it's that more people finally had time to see this movie.

Yup. Gonna rent Uncut Gems next.

People need to realize that self quarantining at home isn't all that bad when we have so much entertainment at our fingertips. Saw a meme today that said something to the effect of "our grandparents left to fight in WWII, you can sit on the couch for a bit".
Bunk Moreland
finally going to be watching this tonight.
Mozart Paintings
AG
RichardSplet said:

If you like What We Do In The Shadows, check out the film Taika did after it, Hunt for the Wilderpeople.
Watched Hunt for the Wilderpeople last night thanks to your reco..... wife and I absolutely loved it!
Bunk Moreland
This movie was fantastic.
Counterpoint
AG
What a movie! How does his other stuff mentioned above compare to this (tone-wise)? Because this movie was perfect, and just what I needed right now.
RichardSplet
His other stuff is much more lighthearted and fun
MW03
AG
Got a chance to finally watch this. I had avoided all the reviews and everything, but I knew it was a satire. I was not expecting it to run me through the full gamut of emotions. Parts had me laughing, crying, scared, exultant, pretty much all of them. What a great movie.

I love Rockwell, but man what a performance by Johansson! I like Regina King, and I didn't see Beale Street, but I don't see how Johansson lost the Oscar. And the kid playing JoJo is the best kid actor I have seen in a while.
Sex Panther
AG
MW03 said:

I love Rockwell, but man what a performance by Johansson! I like Regina King, and I didn't see Beale Street, but I don't see how Johansson lost the Oscar.

Right there with you. I think she was overshadowed by her nom for Marriage Story but in my opinion, she should have run away with it for her performance in this
Thunder18
AG
Great movie
DallasTeleAg
Great performances and I loved the mother/son relationship they showed in this movie... very heartbreaking with that scene.

However, I just felt like I was lacking something at the end of the movie. I don't know what it was but I have to give it 3/5. Again, can't put my finger on it but I would say it is a good movie but never quite jumped to that next tier in my mind.
NoahAg
Wow, finally saw this. Fantastic. Didn't know much about it going in. So creative. Even Rebel Wilson was good since she didn't go full Rebel Wilson.
Max Power
AG
So this movie is now available on HBO, watched it this weekend, outstanding. Taika has such a unique vision and storytelling ability. You can see that in other things he's done from What We Do In The Shadows, to Thor Ragnarok. That guy turned Thor into an awesome character, when he was basically an afterthought in all the other films.

Scarlett Johansson owned this movie, the best work she's ever done in my opinion. She just makes you fall head over heals in this one. She should have won for best supporting actress, she was incredible.

When Jojo found his mom hanging, it broke my heart. Just soul crushing, but necessary for the story, I get it.

The kids did so well too, I don't really have much in the way in criticism, it's damn close to perfect. Sam Rockwell and Rebel Wilson, also great.

Anyone that hasn't seen this one should definitely give it a shot.
07ag
AG
Hunt for the Wilderpeople is also really good
https://ts.la/eric59704

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.