*** JOJO RABBIT *** (Taika Waititi)

20,386 Views | 127 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by mslags97
Max Power
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I watched that on Sunday, courtesy of Hulu, really enjoyed that one too.
KidDoc
AG
Great movie. Finally got around to watching it on HBO max. Worth a watch for sure.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
oragator
Finally saw it, really liked it.
It's so hard to pull off the ironic comedy with that subject matter, but they did it.
My only wish was that the final scene had more emotion in it, but get why they did what the did.
Trucker 96
Loved this movie. My favorite of 2019. I loved the last scene, especially the build-up from the subtle sway to how the music kicks in. The whole final 15-20 minute sequence was fantastic. And friggin Yorki had me rolling. Great lines and that kid was PERFECT for his role. The entire cast was fantastic
JayHowdy!
Bingo Bango Bongo said:

Loved this movie. My favorite of 2019. I loved the last scene, especially the build-up from the subtle sway to how the music kicks in. The whole final 15-20 minute sequence was fantastic. And friggin Yorki had me rolling. Great lines and that kid was PERFECT for his role. The entire cast was fantastic

I agree, the last scene worked very well, in my opinion.

The writing, and direction were good, but the performances from the kids, Rockwell, and Johansson were fantastic. Johansson deserved the Oscar for best supporting actress
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Bingo Bango Bongo said:

Agreed. All so great and the finish was perfection.

But I'll never forget this and it will never not be funny. Such farcical genius - Hitler mostly - and the deadpan reactions are priceless. This was the moment I went from intrigued to highly entertained.

DallasTeleAg
I enjoyed it but didn't seem to love it as much as others.

I do agree regarding Scarlett Johansson's performance. She was amazing and this movie may have been my favorite mother/son depiction in a movie.
FtBendTxAg
AG
I love everyone involved in this film.. and somewhat enjoyed it, but y'all had my expectations very high and I ended up slightly disappointed. I am going to rewatch it when I have some free time.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
FtBendTxAg said:

I love everyone involved in this film.. and somewhat enjoyed it, but y'all had my expectations very high and I ended up slightly disappointed. I am going to rewatch it when I have some free time.
That's too bad. Expectations can louse up the viewing experience like that. I went in with ZERO knowledge and expectations. Probably part of why I thoroughly enjoyed it.
TCTTS
AG
I tried to caveat it back on day one...

Quote:

Apologies in advance, because I know this will only serve to raise expectations to an unreasonable high, and all but force people to complain that I overhyped, but I can't help it...

Because this movie is soooooooooo damn good.
Chase McGuire
You were right though.
FtBendTxAg
AG
I rewatched it and liked it a lot better.

Crazy how your mood, mindset , and setting affect your perception of things. All it took was my wife and kid out of the house and a glass of scotch in my hand and I thought it was great.
Counterpoint
AG
FtBendTxAg said:

I rewatched it and liked it a lot better.

Crazy how your mood, mindset , and setting affect your perception of things. All it took was my wife and kid out of the house and a glass of scotch in my hand and I thought it was great.

Same reason I won't go see a movie in a theater (when that was a thing) if I have a headache or something like that. I love the rare moviegoing experience too much and I know it's going to affect my perception of the film.
Trucker 96
I thought there were a lot of subtle comments in the dialogue that were really strong, but if you aren't in the right frame of mind or have some distractions going on while watching, they're easy to miss and would impact the enjoyment of the film
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
I'm a huge Stephen Merchant fan - kind of obscure I know - but his mere presence makes me laugh almost every time.

Just such a tall and goofy looking character and in Jojo he was just great as the head Gestapo guy Helmund Deartz. Such an endearing seemingly kindly little smile as he is going about basically politely interrogating and judging everyone. And then the ridiculous height difference they played up always makes me laugh.

Got hooked on his just brilliant deadpan comedy in the Office and Extras with Ricky Gervais - they were basically partners in the original office but Merchant was behind the scenes mostly as producer but did have the role of Oggy in The Office.

This isn't the whole scene but it is great:

And then I came across this - outtakes several of which involved Merchant. And some just physical comedy stuff by Taika and goofs by the kids. Merchant deadpan insults Sam Rockwell in one part. I could watch 2 hours of outtakes from this movie. So great.

Zombie Jon Snow
AG

And then this 30 min behind the scenes is full of great commentary.

Even here they are goofing a lot, but some great behind the scenes stuff. Lots of self deprecating and false braggadocio from Merchant and Taika too.

WoMD
Just did a rewatch. I loved this in the theater, but after this second viewing I have to say I absolutely adore this movie. Literally everything about it, just brilliant. I genuinely love every scene.

I know a lot of people have raved about it so this isn't anything new, but for me personally, with it hitting on every emotion while taking on the subject matter that it does, this is damn near the perfect movie.
TCTTS
Quad Dog
AG
I know I'm way late to this, but watched it today on HBO. I just wanted to say that Taika Waititi is a genius.
TAZ99
AG
I also just recently watched this and was getting Face/Off flashbacks with all the shoe tying.
Quad Dog
AG
I can't imagine what the elevator pitch was for this movie. I watched it alone, because my wife would classify it as "weird" and be on her phone the whole time. I tried explaining the premise to her afterwards and failed.
It's a comedy about a fascist little boy in WW2 Berlin that loves Hitler so much he's his imaginary friend. Hitler is played for laughs until he isn't. He and his mom have a great and loving relationship, but she dies about 3/4 through. His mom is hiding a Jew in their house and she and the boy develop a relationship and understanding. It's crazy.

Everything that Taika Waititi did as Hitler was amazing. He was hilarious and sinister at the same time. And did a lot of it through physical comedy.
DallasTeleAg
I can't remember feeling I was gut punched as hard when watching a movie. Probably not since watching the Red Wedding.

To be honest, it was so shocking that it's hard to laugh the rest of the movie.
Quad Dog
AG
That's a good comparison. I sat with my hand over my mouth for a good 10 seconds. The foreshadowing throughout the movie with just a shot of shoes was brilliant and devastating.
mslags97
AG
Quad Dog said:

I can't imagine what the elevator pitch was for this movie. I watched it alone, because my wife would classify it as "weird" and be on her phone the whole time. I tried explaining the premise to her afterwards and failed.
It's a comedy about a fascist little boy in WW2 Berlin that loves Hitler so much he's his imaginary friend. Hitler is played for laughs until he isn't. He and his mom have a great and loving relationship, but she dies about 3/4 through. His mom is hiding a Jew in their house and she and the boy develop a relationship and understanding. It's crazy.

Everything that Taika Waititi did as Hitler was amazing. He was hilarious and sinister at the same time. And did a lot of it through physical comedy.

Well described, and still, cannot even explain how well they put all of this together.... basically perfect filmmaking!

This is absolutely one of my top 5 all time movies. Brilliantly done!!!!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.