*** JOJO RABBIT *** (Taika Waititi)

20,270 Views | 127 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by mslags97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Gigem314
AG
That looks...awesome. Some Mel Brooks with a dash of Monty Python in there.

I could listen to Taika read the dictionary...and it would still crack me up. "Hey man, wanna jump in that big spaceship and go make fun of Hitler and Nazi Germany?"
Saxsoon
AG
I have been excited for this for awhile
Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2012
schmendeler
AG
this one looks like fun surprise.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
A friend described it as Mel Brooks by way of Wes Anderson.

Spot-on.
heddleston
AG
I love to go back and watch the funeral scene from Hunt for the Wilderpeople. Never gets old.
Post removed:
by user
Drawkcab
This got me thinking. I would watch a movie dedicate to Jessica Rabbit, Roger Rabbits wife.
Fenrir
It's an old meme but it checks out.
Duncan Idaho
Did he attend a Wes Andersen Cinematography seminar?
GiveEmHellBill
AG
The Monkees and David Bowie music.....in German. Nice.
TCTTS
AG
GREAT trailer. I was already in based on Taika Waititi alone, but now that we know the actual plot, this just shot up my most anticipated list for the rest of the year. Looks so good.
TCTTS
AG
This is so good...

TCTTS
AG
Apologies in advance, because I know this will only serve to raise expectations to an unreasonable high, and all but force people to complain that I overhyped, but I can't help it...

Because this movie is soooooooooo damn good.

Just so incredibly funny, well-written, and shockingly poignant.

Taika Waititi is a mad genius, and IMO, this is his best yet. In fact, this is top three of the year for me so far, up there with Endgame and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (but just behind both).

The performances across the board are incredible, and so incredibly funny. Everyone is saying Scarlett Johansson is going to land a Best Actress nomination for Marriage Story, but I'd give her a Best Supporting Actress nomination for this as well, no question. She's the beating heart of this movie and could not be any more charming or affecting. Rockwell of course kills it as well, as does Thomasin McKenzie, who is really starting to make a name for herself. Roman Griffin Davis too is so perfect as Jojo, while his best friend, Yorki, played by Archie Yates, had me cracking up every single time he appeared. Funniest kid I've seen on screen in years.

Really, I just can't gush about this movie enough.

I will say that it gets a little slow toward the middle, and you're left wondering where, exactly, it's going, but then picks right up with a glorious Stephen Merchant sequence and doesn't let up from there. By the end, you've felt every possible emotion, and I could not have been more satisfied when it finally cut to black, a massive grin on my face. When the lights came up, a friend sitting next to me immediately leaned over and said, "That was amazing," while we heard a woman in front of us on the way out effusively proclaiming to the group she was with that it was the best of the year. This was after a big round applause at the end, which followed a rare in-movie round of applause in the third act.

I seriously cannot wait until more of you see this, and I'll almost assuredly see it again myself in theaters. I want to drag everyone I know to this, and in that spirit, be sure and see it with the biggest audience you can.

It's a huge crowd pleaser.

Here's the rollout...

MTAggie
AG
Not fair, Montana never gets an early release date.

Looking forward to this.
TCTTS
AG
Awesome.

I seriously cannot stop thinking about it. The script is just so good; one of those scripts that's so tight, with so many perfect set ups and payoffs, gives everyone a satisfying arc, etc.

I just love this movie so much.

I will say, I forgot to mention that after 30 minutes or so we saw four people walk out (a group, not individuals). There's A LOT of Nazi propaganda and A LOT of humor at the expense of Jews... but that's obviously the point. Not only is Taika Waititi Jewish, but the Nazi stuff is never not mocking how pathetic they were and the Jewish jokes are never not serving to show the ridiculousness one side will go to demonize those they hate. I honestly don't see how, but I guess that was just lost on some people, as even someone in the group of four I was with said it was hard for her to connect because of all of that, even though she still liked the movie as a whole.

So, point is, some might react differently than others, but the sold out theater we saw it in, by and large, seemed to loved it unabashedly.
TCTTS
AG
Reminder that tonight this hits the cities listed in the graphic above. Austin is the only Texas city this weekend, but Dallas, Ft. Worth, and Houston are all next weekend, and then it goes nationwide the weekend after that. Probably going to see it again this weekend myself...
Liquid Wrench
Came looking for this thread after getting an email about the Houston screening next week. Hadn't seen the trailer until just now. This could be the feel-good zany Hitler movie I've been waiting for all my life.

If there is a World Series game 7, I won't be able to make the screening, but looking forward to seeing this at some point.

*checked Fandango, we'll have it here for a week at the Regal Edwards.
TCTTS
AG
Sucks to hear that it didn't work quite as well for you, but I'm glad you at least got some laughs out of it. I'm definitely in agreement that the first act is hilarious - it's some of the funniest stuff I've seen in a long time - but when it got more serious is actually when it went to another level for me. I thought Waititi handled the more poignant elements brilliantly and I was shocked at how well he was able to effectively transition between tones. Now I'm even more interested to hear where everyone else's reactions fall.
TCTTS
AG
Ha, man, not to further the divide because you know I really respect your opinions and we're on the same page more often than not, but I think one of the reasons I maybe latched onto this one so much is because I saw Parasite just prior too and it didn't work for me as well as it did for everyone else. Don't get me wrong, I completely recognize the masterful work that it is, and was super enthralled/impressed, but that's a movie where the tone change didn't work for me in the end. Without getting into spoilers, I actually loved where all the pieces/story ended up, I just didn't like the route it took toward the end to get there. But I get the commentary and everything it was trying to say, so it basically had no choice to go down the way it did, but that's one I'm just not as high on as everyone else. So I guess we're somewhat in the same boat. Haha. Marriage Story is next. I sense an agreement on that one!
TCTTS
AG
Man. Just saw this again tonight and somehow fell in love with it even more. I really do think it's a perfect screenplay, and just so incredibly affecting. I caught a couple of things I didn't the first go around, and the performance that really stood out to me this time was Thomasin McKenzie as Elsa (the Jewish girl in the attic). She is so insanely good - a star in the making - as is everyone else in this cast. I just love this movie so damn much. I seriously think I might see it a third time in theaters come Thanksgiving with the family because I cannot get enough of it.
TCTTS
AG
This kid is the absolute best and basically steals the movie...

https://www.instagram.com/tv/B4GWR67HyND/
TCTTS
AG
Reminder that this hits Dallas, Ft. Worth, Houston, and San Antonio TONIGHT, along with all the other November 1st cities below...

Aggie_Journalist
AG
I caught this tonight in Seattle and really enjoyed it. The audience was almost entirely empty, though, which was a disappointment. Fantastic performances, especially the main kid. And I thought the movie found a new way to look at world war 2 that I hadn't seen before, through the eyes of a German child who is totally caught up in naziism and Hitler worship, only to grow up and learn maybe that stuff isn't as great as they thought it was.

Would recommend.
Thanks and gig'em
TCTTS
evan_aggie
AG
Saw this yesterday @ drafthouse 150pm. Movie was just about sold out.

Enjoyed it, but I also knew going in the type of humor to expect from 'Hunt for the Wilder People'.

Great humor and writing. I give it 4.1/5. =]

I do think the movie was maybe 10 minutes too long and as a personal gripe, didn't feel like the "heil greeting" humor fit and was a Leslie Nielsen, Seth McFarland move.
TCTTS
AG
Man, I thought the "heil greeting" humor were some of the funniest bits. Glad you liked it overall, though.
MosesHallEnforcer
AG
I absolutely loved this movie. It was just so well done! Really heartfelt funny and without seeming like it was trying too hard.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.