What actor/actress has been in the most great movies

9,467 Views | 96 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by ensign_beedrill
Bruce Almighty
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

From 77 to about 95, Harrison Ford was basically the undisputed #1 movie star in the world, and rightly so.

I'm not sure who took his title after that. Maybe Cruise? Currently, it's probably DiCaprio.
I don't know, I think Tom Hanks held that for a few years in the 90s.
bearamedic99
AG
Ford/Nicholson/Deniro

Oldman/Russell

Willis/DiCaprio/Pitt

Honorable mentions to Steve Carrell, Steve Buscemi, John Goodman, Dan Akroyd, Bill Murray, and Joseph Gordon Levitt

Everyone else

Funny but I'm having trouble thinking of a female actor whom I would nominate. Not necessarily the actress's fault since strong female roles are uncommon. Marisa Tomei (my cousin Vinnie, the wrestler, wild hogs, Spiderman Homecoming) is the best I can think of. Yes Wild Hogs as a movie was dumb but she was awesome in it.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Quote:

female actor
Katherine Hepburn
Sigourney Weaver
Meryl Streep

just a few that come to mind
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Jaime Lee Curtis
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Jaime Lee Curtis

great rack no doubt.

oh wait....best movies...not boobies......

well: Halloween, Trading Places, A Fish Called Wanda, True Lies.....errrr.....Freaky Friday????

that'a all i got. her boobies are better than her movies.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Halloween is a big one though. Halloween (2018) is pretty good, too.

I just figured if we're throwing out Weaver, I think JLC deserves a mention.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Halloween is a big one though. Halloween (2018) is pretty good, too.

I just figured if we're throwing out Weaver, I think JLC deserves a mention.

Halloween is justified pretty much defining a genre and a few of her others did very well.

Sigourney has bigger impact films though. Three launched franchises.

Alien and Aliens were huge in the suspense/action thriller genre
Ghostbusters was huge in comedy - although she was 3rd in billing at least
Avatar - huge again she was not the main role though
Working Girl - she was a great bad boss
Galaxy Quest - awesome
Gorillas in the Mist

They're comparable in what the bring I think - but Weaver had the bigger hits by far.

atag
AG
My girl, and apparently I can't read.
dcAg
Daniel Day Lewis.
Apache
AG
Y'all are forgetting one of my personal favorites: Jimmy Stewart

Great in Westerns: "Winchester '73, How the West was Won, The Man who Shot Liberty Valance", "The Naked Spur"

Drama/Suspense: Rope, Rear Window, Vertigo, Mr. Smith goes to Washington, Anatomy of a Murder, The Philadelphia Story

Throw in "It's a Wonderful Life" "The Flight of the Phoenix" for good measure.

Plus he flew combat missions in WWII, was a general in the Air Force & an all around great guy by all accounts.

BQ_00
AG
Denzel Washington

Glory
Philadelphia
Malcolm X
Crimson Tide
The Pelican Brief
Antwone Fisher
Man on Fire
American Gangster
The Book of Eli
Remember the Titans
Inside Man
The Hurricane
John Q
biobioprof
Apache said:

Y'all are forgetting one of my personal favorites: Jimmy Stewart

Great in Westerns: "Winchester '73, How the West was Won, The Man who Shot Liberty Valance", "The Naked Spur"

Drama/Suspense: Rope, Rear Window, Vertigo, Mr. Smith goes to Washington, Anatomy of a Murder, The Philadelphia Story

Throw in "It's a Wonderful Life" "The Flight of the Phoenix" for good measure.

Plus he flew combat missions in WWII, was a general in the Air Force & an all around great guy by all accounts.

Love Jimmy Stewart but I don't think I'd put Philadelphia Story and Mr Smith in the same group as Rear Window and Vertigo!

Other Stewart greats not on your list
Harvey
The Shop Around the Corner
After the Thin Man
Blanco Ag
AG
Who is Theodore "Ted" Logan, Johnny Utah, Neo, Constantine, Kevin Lorax, and John Wick?
TennAg
Am I missing the posts that have mentioned Morgan Freeman?

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
TennAg said:

Am I missing the posts that have mentioned Morgan Freeman?

For a long while I thought they had forgotten me. Those scamps over at TexAgs, much like my inmates at the Shawshank Prison , like they knew what you were thinking about just by taking a look at ya. Maybe they called me Red because I was Irish. Maybe it was because the character from the book was a honky and they were too lazy to change the line. All I know is that it was a crisp April evening when that angel appeared in my life and put my name down on the thread. It was the spring of '19, that time of year where hope blooms eternal for every man as he retars the roof of the Shawshank mess hall with a certain Mr. Andy Dufrense, who just asked for two beers a piece for his work crew. It was that first glimpse of the hot summer to come, where you'd be at your desk pretending to work but really checking TexAgs to see how many more days it was until our football team started the year 5-0 and then went 7-5 again. The sort of spring day where you close your eyes and let the sun's rays beat down on your brow until that first dribble of sweat trickles down the bridge of your nose and your mind drifts to things like your first kiss, your first car, and the fact that if Texas Tech had won the national title in basketball a couple of weeks ago you would have to either quit your job or killed that ******* Steve who works in staffing because he wouldn't STFU for two weeks about Get Your Guns Up.
That's what I was thinking about the day that my name came up on TexAgs for best actor. Yeah, that was a day that I'd like to see come round the bend again some time.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Quote:

Hollywood was far different back then.

I'd add Strategic Air Command as a pretty good film that probably felt like another day at the office for Stewart.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Jaime Lee Curtis

great rack no doubt.

oh wait....best movies...not boobies......

well: Halloween, Trading Places, A Fish Called Wanda, True Lies.....errrr.....Freaky Friday????

that'a all i got. her boobies are better than her movies.

Throw in The Fog and her boobs and we're good to go.
bonfarr
AG
Jamie Lee Curtis was a hermaphrodite at birth right? Despite the great bewbs that drops her way down the hotness scale for me.
$3 Sack of Groceries
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

From 77 to about 95, Harrison Ford was basically the undisputed #1 movie star in the world, and rightly so.

I'm not sure who took his title after that. Maybe Cruise? Currently, it's probably DiCaprio.
That's about as revisionist as you can get. Was he an A-lister? Absolutely. Undisputed #1 movie star for almost 20 years, including all of the 1980's. Not even close.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
So who was bigger?
Urban Ag
AG
BQ_00 said:

Denzel Washington

Glory
Philadelphia
Malcolm X
Crimson Tide
The Pelican Brief
Antwone Fisher
Man on Fire
American Gangster
The Book of Eli
Remember the Titans
Inside Man
The Hurricane
John Q
Denzel should absolutely be an honorable mention. But you forgot:

Courage Under Fire
Fallen
Training Day

that said, I just don't think anyone can compare to Ford.
Bruce Almighty
AG
bonfarr said:

Jamie Lee Curtis was a hermaphrodite at birth right? Despite the great bewbs that drops her way down the hotness scale for me.
I'm pretty sure that's an urban legend......kinda like Will Smith went to MIT. People used to believe anything before the internet.
BQ_00
AG
Urban Ag said:

BQ_00 said:

Denzel Washington

Glory
Philadelphia
Malcolm X
Crimson Tide
The Pelican Brief
Antwone Fisher
Man on Fire
American Gangster
The Book of Eli
Remember the Titans
Inside Man
The Hurricane
John Q
Denzel should absolutely be an honorable mention. But you forgot:

Courage Under Fire
Fallen
Training Day

that said, I just don't think anyone can compare to Ford.

Geez, don't know how I missed those. I'll blame it on working off my cell.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

bonfarr said:

I'm pretty sure that's an urban legend......kinda like Will Smith went to MIT. People used to believe anything before the internet.

She's NOT a hermaphrodite.

I do hate to break this to people that do not know but a high number of very attractive females (especially statuesque model types with that physique) are actually a different thing entirely.

It is widely believed she is or has AIS - Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome.

People born with AIS have one X and one Y chromosome (which would be male) but are resistant to androgens, the hormones responsible for male sexual development. As a result, they display female physical characteristics despite being genetically male. In its classic form (complete androgen resistance), the person appears to be female but has no uterus, and has sparse armpit and pubic hair. they also tend to be taller and have more masculine jawlines for example. At puberty, their female secondary sex characteristics (e.g., breasts) develop, but menstruation and fertility do not. And they usually have very nearly perfect skin as they don't develop acne as a teen.

Many models and actresses are actually presumed to be AIS - they are generally statuesque women and have all the right curves. Their body type is often the perfect model type.

In the case of Jamie Lee and others one of the signs can be whether they have biological children or not because those with AIS are incapable.

Supermodel Hanne Gaby Odiele recently came out publicly that she is AIS.
Ann Coulter also rumored.
Tennis player Sarah Gronert is confirmed.
Other actors, models, tennis or other sport players have all the characteristics - may be more than we think are AIS.

1 in 20,000 women are born that way meaning there are thousands of them in the US (perhaps 8000 or more).
4stringAg
AG
Not the lead actor but John C Reilly has been in a lot of good movies.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
4stringAg said:

Not the lead actor but John C Reilly has been in a lot of good movies.

He is one of the greats on my list of great "character" actors. Often (or usually) not the leads but they make great second or third supporting types, always great, and more chameleon like than many lead actors (John Wayne is always John Wayne, Nicholson is Nicholson, Pacino, ec.).

some of my faves:

John C. Reilly
William H. Macy
Philip Seymour Hoffman - had a few superb leds (Capote and Doubt) but more often a 2nd or 3rd
Paul Giamatti
Benicio Del Torro
Chris Cooper
JK Simmons
Sam Rockwell
Steve Buscemi
David Strathairn
Oliver Platt
Vincent D'Onofrio
Harry Dean Stanton

Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Yelnick McWawa said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

That's about as revisionist as you can get. Was he an A-lister? Absolutely. Undisputed #1 movie star for almost 20 years, including all of the 1980's. Not even close.
Started 1980 with The Empire Strikes Back, ended the decade with 1989's Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

Who else would you say to be the #1 movie star for the time period?

I'm trying to come up with names ... Eddie Murphy was pretty big but had a number of bombs in there (The Golden Child, for instance). All of the classic big names such as John Wayne or Jimmy Stewart were gone by then. Clint Eastwood made some really good movies, in fact has continued to make good movies up until nearly the present day, but was he bigger than Ford? My first recollection of Denzel Washington came in 1989 with Glory. Tom Cruise came on the scene in the 80s, and he did have a number of good movies (Risky Business, Top Gun, Rain Man) but again, bigger than Ford? Likewise for Tom Hanks, who I look at as more of a 90s big name.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Yelnick McWawa said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Started 1980 with The Empire Strikes Back, ended the decade with 1989's Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

I'm trying to come up with names ... Eddie Murphy was pretty big but had a number of bombs in there (The Golden Child, for instance). All of the classic big names such as John Wayne or Jimmy Stewart were gone by then. Clint Eastwood made some really good movies, in fact has continued to make good movies up until nearly the present day, but was he bigger than Ford? My first recollection of Denzel Washington came in 1989 with Glory. Tom Cruise came on the scene in the 80s, and he did have a number of good movies (Risky Business, Top Gun, Rain Man) but again, bigger than Ford? Likewise for Tom Hanks, who I look at as more of a 90s big name.

Schwarzenegger...maybe?

Conan the Barbarian
Conan the Destroyer
Terminator
Commando
Raw Deal
Predator
The Running Man
Red Heat
Twins

if you give him until 1991 (cuz Conan was 1982) so 10 years you get these 3 also:
Total Recall
Kindergarten Cop
Terminator 2

he did not start out as big or as early - but that was a lot of big pop culture movies too in a decade for him.

biobioprof
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Yelnick McWawa said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Ford has to be #1 for the 1980s. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1980s_in_film
Quote:

The following are the 10 top-grossing films of the decade (7)

• E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982), $435 million
  • Return of the Jedi (1983), $309 million
  • The Empire Strikes Back (1980), $290 million
  • Batman (1989), $251 million
  • Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981), $245 million
  • Ghostbusters (1984), $238 million
  • Beverly Hills Cop (1984), $234 million
  • Back to the Future (1985), $210 million
  • Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989), $197 million
  • Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984), $179 million

• So even if you leave out the Han Solo role, Indiana Jones is in the top 10 3 times. That doesn't include a bunch of memorable movies that don't make the box office top 10, for me most notably Blade Runner (1982).

In the 1990s (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1990s_in_film), no actor or actress is in the box office top list the way Ford is for the 1980s. The only one with multiple hits in the top 10 is...

Will Smith! For Men in Black and Independence Day.

I think I'd vote for Hanks for the 1990s.
    Bruce Almighty
    AG
    Hanks was the biggest star of the 90s. He didn't have the iconic characters of Ford with Indy and Solo, but his run in the 90s with A League of Their Own, Sleepless in Seattle, Philadelphia, Forrest Gump, Apollo 13, Toy Story, Saving Private Ryan, The Green Mile is as good as any actor in any decade. Bookend that with Big in 88 and Cast Away in 2000 and that is an insane 13 year run.
    DG-Ag
    AG
    Giselle doesn't have biological children with Tom Brady?
    thejavelina
    Spencer Tracy has to be on the list. Oscar nominated 9 times for Best Actor and winning twice.

San Francisco
    Captains Courageous
    Boys Town
    Boom Town
    Northwest Passage
    Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo
    Father of the Bride
    Bad Day at Black Rock
    The Old Man and Sea
    Inherit the Wind
    Judgement at Nuremberg
    Brian Earl Spilner
    AG
    I think Arnold probably makes the best argument for the late 80's. But, I don't know if Arnold was ever bigger than Ford, considering he still had Last Crusade in '89.

Hanks in the 90's is a good one, which is why I gave Ford till 95. But maybe it should be 94, and then Hanks takes over until ~00, maybe? (Ford had The Fugitive in 93, and Hanks takes over in 94 with Forrest Gump.)

Tom Cruise takes the crown after that, until DiCaprio takes over in mid 00's.

But then again, Leo had Titanic in 97, so it's hard to put a hard date on that. I think Cruise and DiCaprio may sort of share the title from 00 to 08 or so, but then DiCaprio is the sole leader since then.
    TheNotoriousP.I.P.
    AG
    I think you have to go Samuel L just based on sheer volume

-Coming to America
    -Do The Right Thing
    -Goodfellas
    -Menace II Society
    -Jurassic Park
    -True Romance
    -Hard Eight
    -All 3 Star Wars Prequels
    -The Incredibles
    -Pretty Much Every Single Tarantino Movie
    -Every MCU movie

If I could only watch one actor's catalogue, it would definitely be Samuel L.
    Zombie Jon Snow
    AG
    DG-Ag said:

Giselle doesn't have biological children with Tom Brady?

I guess she does youre right. One was from Brady previous girlfriend Moynihan but she did have 2. Weird. Maybe she was thought to be AIS before that. I don't know.
    Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.