*** TOM CLANCY'S WITHOUT REMORSE ***

21,496 Views | 196 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by I Sold DeSantis Lifts
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bruce Almighty
AG
About damn time. My 2nd favorite Clancy book.
AtlAg05
AG
Awesome.
expresswrittenconsent
I cant imagine how sanitized the movie will have to be but it should still be fun.

John Clark: Origin Story
AtlAg05
AG
What do you think will be sanitized?
AtlAg05
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

Curious what the first is, Red October/Cardinal of the Kremlin?
Bruce Almighty
AG
AtlAg05 said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Curious what the first is, Red October/Cardinal of the Kremlin?

Red October is number 1. Red Storm rising is probably third.
expresswrittenconsent
AtlAg05 said:

What do you think will be sanitized?

It's been ages since I read the book but I would guess this is building a franchise for MBJ and not going super deep into the first paragraph of the WR "plot summary" section of the book wiki. I think many Clancy fans over the years wanting a WR movie were assuming that whole Kelly to Clark story would be the main plot.
Stive
AG
Making the jump from WR to RS is going to be tough for me without all of the in between missions with Jack Ryan. I guess it kind of makes sense though because other than Clear and Present Danger he was a bit player in all of the Jack Ryan novels (pretty extensive bits but bits nonetheless). These two are the first two where he's the lead.
aggie_fan13
AG
I want to see ding chavez
expresswrittenconsent
azulAg said:

I want to see ding chavez

Seems like other casting would come out faiy soon, right?
I wonder if maybe Domingo will be Clark's brother in law instead of son in law in this world. MBJ seems pretty young to be a guy with a grown daughter.
AgMarauder04
AG
Interesting casting choice
Ag Since 83
AG
I assume they're not putting it in the Vietnam era since there won't be a time jump between the two

I have been listening to the Ryanverse during my commute since July and finished Without Remorse a few weeks ago. It really does live up to the hype.
BassCowboy33
Wait, what? Isn't Clark caucasian and blonde? Isn't this like making Alex Cross a white guy from the Hamptons? Super odd choice.
jeffk
AG
This is separate from Amazon's Jack Ryan universe?
Cancelled
AG
Hopefully they cast Greer as a feeble old Asian man.
AgMarauder04
AG
BassCowboy33 said:

Wait, what? Isn't Clark caucasian and blonde? Isn't this like making Alex Cross a white guy from the Hamptons? Super odd choice.

Guys a good actor and a good pick for an action flick, I just don't know if he fits the Clark character
NoHo Hank
AG
Without Remorse on the big screen? I'm in!!

First off, I can't think of someone I'd rather have write the script for this movie than Taylor Sheridan. That's awesome and him writing it gives me confidence that the movie will go to the brutal places the book did. Wind River wasn't exactly a light and toned down film.

Second, no issues with Michael B Jordan playing John Clark but I hope they don't make the whole revenge story into a race thing. Just give me a revenge flick and don't preach at me.

I'm wondering how they'll handle the side story about the Vietnam excursion, uncovering the two guys that were giving away classified info and transitioning into John Clark from John Kelly. Seems like they can't skip that but it's really a second story in itself. Wonder if they'll go into it?
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
I usually am not a fan of changing characters just for the sake of change, but MBJ is a fantastic actor so i have no doubt he could pull it off (of course if it was written as a minority character and was changed to Tom Hardy, SJWs would have lost their minds...but i digress) Willem Defoe was a great "old Clark" in CaPD, and clearly the barometer. My concern is they try to beat you over the head with a possible racism angle (instead of a prostitute and drug ring, its a hate crime and white supremacist group). That said, i think there isnt a better writer in hollywood that would bring the appropriate balance than taylor sheridan.

regarding the plot, i am sure they would bring it to the 21st century. Its a pretty easy modernization; instead of Vietnam, its Afghanistan or North Korea, and its selling secrets to the Russians or Chinese.
maverick2076
I actually liked Liev Schreiber as Clark. He was about the only good part of The Sum of All Fears.

And I expect this will be horrible and only passingly similar to the book.
Belton Ag
AG
I have mixed feelings about this. To call it "Tom Clancy's Without Remorse" for the purposes of selling the movie and then to retcon the whole story and characters is really galling to me.

I like Jordan, and Taylor Sheridan is must watch for me, so I'll probably end up watching it.
AgMarauder04
AG
Belton Ag said:

I have mixed feelings about this. To call it "Tom Clancy's Without Remorse" for the purposes of selling the movie and then to retcon the whole story and characters is really galling to me.

I like Jordan, and Taylor Sheridan is must watch for me, so I'll probably end up watching it.

I hope it's true to the book and not a "Sum of All Fears" with barely noticeable similarities.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I don't have a problem with a black guy playing Ryan. I know that he's Irish-American, but his race isn't really central to any of the stories.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
maverick2076 said:

I actually liked Liev Schreiber as Clark. He was about the only good part of The Sum of All Fears.

I clearly mentally blocked that craptastic movie, so i forgot about him. i thought he was solid. definitely had the SEAL/UDT badass CIA operative vibe.
JDUB08AG
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

I don't have a problem with a black guy playing Ryan. I know that he's Irish-American, but his race isn't really central to any of the stories.

He isn't playing Jack Ryan. He is playing John Clark. If I recall, Ryan wasn't even in without remorse, right? Or at least it was limited.
Belton Ag
AG
WelchAg said:

Bruce Almighty said:

He isn't playing Jack Ryan. He is playing John Clark. If I recall, Ryan wasn't even in without remorse, right? Or at least it was limited.
He makes a quick appearance as a teenager but isn't a part of the story.

Bruce Almighty
AG
WelchAg said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Brain fart. I was thinking Clark and typed Ryan.
Philip J Fry
AG
Hell to the mother****ing Yeah. Better be rated R.
jabberwalkie09
AG
maverick2076 said:

This sums up my feelings pretty well.
NoHo Hank
AG
Just make it a badass revenge flick that's not overly preachy and features the same general plot and I'll be pleased as punch. Follow it up with Rainbow Six and I'm all in. Those are my two favorite Clancy novels.
caleblyn
Red Storm Rising needs to be a movie! Nothing else to say!
AgGrad99
AG
I wonder if Michael B Jordan will portray the character as a cocky guy with a chip on his shoulder?

If not, that'll be a first for him.
MooreTrucker
AG
Stive said:

Making the jump from WR to RS is going to be tough for me without all of the in between missions with Jack Ryan. I guess it kind of makes sense though because other than Clear and Present Danger he was a bit player in all of the Jack Ryan novels (pretty extensive bits but bits nonetheless). These two are the first two where he's the lead.
Those are my two favorites.
bearamedic99

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.