*** STAR WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER ***

819,311 Views | 6770 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SpreadsheetAg
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Body By Fisher said:

May be a topic for a separate thread, but I wonder if we can find the exact moments in history when "fan service" and "entertainment" became put downs. "Oh no, fans might be entertained! We've got to try to talk them out of seeing it!"

"Fan service" isn't *just* giving the fans what they want. It's pandering to the detriment of the characters, theme, and story. If you set up your movie with character arc [X], theme [X], and story [X], but then dishonor any of those for a cheap thrill, inorganic twist, or nostalgic callback that isn't in harmony with the core tenets of your movie, that's "fan service."
The Collective
AG
The characters were already fooked over, with exception to Kylo and Rey. I've read positive things on those two & on Poe / Finn.
Liquid Wrench
I thought it was interesting how Avengers Endgame somehow managed to mostly dodge those allegations. I wonder why.
TCTTS
AG
Because the brilliance of what they did is to make all the "fan service" organic; it *was* the story.
Fat Bib Fortuna
TCTTS said:

inorganic twist,."

Is this a twist that doesn't contain carbon?
TCTTS
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna
That's my gif for the last 5 pages of this thread! What a frigging trainwreck
Stupe
S
Mucks post and that reaction gif together made me
TCTTS
AG
We know. We should all just hold hands, sing kumbaya, and have no critical thoughts about Star Wars ever, etc.
Fat Bib Fortuna
Let me know when you start the GoFundMe for the emotionally-effected movie critics of america so I can make a donation.
The Collective
Stupe
S
And now....

TCTTS
AG
Save your money. Buy yourself a trophy for being the Most Bestest Star Wars Fan instead.
TCTTS
AG
I call Jerry!

agracer
AG
Buck Compton said:

TCTTS said:

And that's fine. But no one is saying you can't have you're opinion or that you have to pre-emptively fall in line with the general consensus so far. It's a message board and we're simply discussing the state of affairs with all the information currently available, as we do each and every day here. So it just bugs me when people are suddenly like, "The internet is a cesspool. Bunch of morons listening to a bunch of snooty critics."
Is that what I said when I called the internet a cesspool? I didn't say anything about snooty critics or that the speculation is biased or not based in reality. This movie might suck. It might be super-rushed, lack character development, and be worse than TLJ. I don't know.

The internet is a cesspool because we lack patience or an ability to take information in context to form our own opinions. We take a few reactions of a very vocal minority and then draw them out to extremes. Literally there was a post on this thread talking about how botched this movie is by someone who hasn't seen it yet. Then a bunch of people proclaiming "I knew it. this is what I predicted two years ago." patting themselves on the back.

I think you were one of the ones saying this would kill the enthusiasm of the series. To be fair, you might have said "if it fails", but I don't remember. You also said you're now anticipating seeing a trailer for a movie more than the final Star Wars movie in the Skywalker saga. Just two days ago you were debating seeing it twice in 24 hours by going alone before seeing it with your friends. Now you're more excited for a trailer of a movie? Don't you think that's a bit of an overreaction?
are you new here?
Sex Panther
AG
I've said it time and time again...

Star Wars ruins everything
TCTTS
AG
jokershady
AG
Everyone just calm their tits. In 24 hours the new Star Trek movie will be out and we can all see it for ourselves.
Fat Bib Fortuna
TCTTS
AG
Ok, that was pretty good.
StrykerAg
AG
I hope enough people don't like it and stay away from Galaxy's Edge and the new hotel experience so my family and I can enjoy light crowds.

Unfortunately my sisters hate the movie but they are still going to Star Wars Celebration and Galaxy's Edge, and eventually doing Galactic Starcruiser. We'll just agree to disagree and continue expressing our love for Star Wars in our own ways.
Sex Panther
AG
StrykerAg said:

Unfortunately my sisters hate the movie but they are still going to Star Wars Celebration and Galaxy's Edge

I was legit cracking up and in shock when you told me Kathleen Kennedy herself asked your sisters what they thought about it and they said, "Overwhelmed"

I mean... damn
TCTTS
AG
It's just so perfect on so many levels.
vwbug
Screen Junkies non spoiler review - not good.

Canada ET guy - loved it. (he has spoilers in his review, warning)

Love both of those critics, so not sure what to think.
Liquid Wrench
"Overwhelmed" is the perfect answer. It's a step above "that was interesting," and open to be taken as praise by someone who can help their careers.
Fat Bib Fortuna
Was hoping you would counter with riley's "who cares, you're their biggest customer!" Hope you find something in the movie that makes you happy
Liquid Wrench
jokershady said:

Everyone just calm their tits. In 24 hours the new Star Trek movie will be out and we can all see it for ourselves.
Urban Ag
AG
Sex Panther said:

Like having sex with your aunt. Yeah, seemed fun at the time. But Thanksgiving is never the same.
jokershady
AG
Urban Ag said:

Sex Panther said:

Like having sex with your aunt. Yeah, seemed fun at the time. But Thanksgiving is never the same.
Thats only a problem if the sex is dissatisfying and lame
maroon man
S
Well yeah mixed reviews.

BUT reading all these below has me kind of still freaking excited!

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker-first-reviews-a-mixed-bag-of-nostalgia-jam-packed-with-story-and-action/

TCTTS
AG
I have to say, the new TROS clip that played at the end of episode seven of The Mandalorian today has me a smidge more excited again. It was chopped like crazy for time, but yeah, even if this movie sucks, it's going to be damn fun. So much energy in just that 30-or-so seconds alone. Granted, I can see that getting exhausting if it never lets up, as people keep saying, but I think I'm so beat down at this point that I'm beyond ready to just go along for the ride.
jokershady
AG
What clip?
TCTTS
AG
The one where the ghost of Anakin shows up and fights a now-bionic Boba Fett. Really cool stuff.
Urban Ag
AG
TCTTS said:

The one where the ghost of Anakin shows up and fights a now-bionic Boba Fett. Really cool stuff.
I don't know about cool. But bionic Boba Fett blasting sand in ghost Anakin's ghost eyes was a nice touch.

Oh, what's wrong Jedi ghost? Don't like sand? Is it course? Is it rough and irritating? Does it get everywhere? Yeah try the Sarlac crybaby.

StrykerAg
AG
Sex Panther said:

StrykerAg said:

Unfortunately my sisters hate the movie but they are still going to Star Wars Celebration and Galaxy's Edge

I was legit cracking up and in shock when you told me Kathleen Kennedy herself asked your sisters what they thought about it and they said, "Overwhelmed"

I mean... damn

Yeah they were trying so hard to not kiss ass and be like "It was great!" but also not burn a potential bridge by saying "That was fking AWFUL."

Body By Fisher said:

"Overwhelmed" is the perfect answer. It's a step above "that was interesting," and open to be taken as praise by someone who can help their careers.

Exactly.
First Page Last Page
Page 185 of 194

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.