*** STAR WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER ***

819,349 Views | 6770 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SpreadsheetAg
Joe Exotic
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Well, looks like David can erlich my balls.

Ya, if you're mad that a Star Wars movie is "artless" I'm definitely glad he hated it because it probably means I'm going to love it.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I think people just like to say "macguffin".
DTP02
AG
TCTTS said:

When someone screws up a cultural icon like Star Wars as bad as Johnson did, you are left with two options: build upon the ugly mess and have it control the end of the saga, or try to wipe it away as much as possible and get it back close to the track it should have been on all along.

I absolutely love to hear that JJ took the latter approach.
TCTTS
AG
In fairness, what I read of the leaks did have me a bit nervous in terms of the numerous MacGuffins and "fetch quests" hinted at, and it seems like that aspect has irked a lot of people in the finished product as well. I was hoping Abrams could pull it all off in a fun, Goonies fashion, and who knows, maybe it will work for me, but I at least get where Ehrlich is coming from in that regard.
TCTTS
AG
Sex Panther said:

TCTTS said:

StrykerAg said:

Also, I just had In & Out burger for the first time (this was my first time on the West Coast). Good but nothing special. Fries sucked. Hopefully I will have a little more time to explore this area when my sisters and I are back for Star Wars Celebration in August.

I fly back to NYC/PA tonight, and then I will be back in TX for Texas Bowl, Cotton Bowl & WHATABURGER next week.

The fries are hit and miss. They have potential, but yeah, they usually suck. I'm headed back to Texas as well, on Saturday, and per usual my first stop after deplaning will be the Whataburger in the Love Field terminal. Nothing else compares.

I truly believe that is the best Whataburger in the country

StrykerAg
AG
Sex Panther said:

Dude that is badass... incredible you got to go to.

So your sisters are writers? How did they get these invites? That's like the most coveted ticket in Hollywood I'd imagine.

One studied writing, the other is a film student. They won their passes in an online auction (I cringe to think how much they paid, so I did not ask). I got mine through a family member who has Marvel/Disney/Lucasfilm contacts.
Urban Ag
AG
TCTTS said:

For context, though...

yeah, well, F*** this guy
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
StrykerAg
AG
The steelbook is going to make a fine addition to my collection /grievous

Speaking of collections, some guy went around to all the celeb tables after they left to snag their name cards. Too bad for him I slipped Daisey's into my jacket moments before he got there.
John Matrix
AG
Another thing about these reviews that is just straight up frustrating me is that they seem to be just an extension of whether or not you liked the last Jedi or not, and really not addressing what the movie is or isn't about. They're all completely agenda driven. It just seems I really can't tell either way. And the idea of fighting on the Internet about another Star Wars movie already has me exhausted.
DE4D
AG
At least he is consistent?
TCTTS
AG
Phat32
AG
If it acts like TLJ didn't happen, I am so in.
jokershady
AG
After reading all the positive and negative posts TC is sharing....I think I actually couldn't get more excited for this film

The only thing that could probably get me more hyped is watching whatever the hell that clip was from a few days ago
TCTTS
AG
Do it!
jr15aggie
AG
It's fun that, in terms of the new characters, I'm the most excited to see Kylo's story play out. Great choice in actor and just a great character in general. The one thing I really can't complain about regarding TLJ is how Kylo continued to be a really great / conflicted character.

Rey has been great, but Kylo is the real draw for me. I'm a sucker for happy endings so him turning at a key moment and saving the day would be awesome... but he could also go down with the dark side ship and I wouldn't have a problem with that either!
TCTTS
AG
Seriously, though, speaking of spoilers, this is one of the rare instances where I think having read a decent chunk of the leaks actually might help. I already had an idea of what everyone seems to be complaining about (the MacGuffin/"fetch quest" nature), and I wonder if knowing that going in will better prepare me, in that I can soak in that angle without being thrown for a loop right off the bat.
jr15aggie
AG
I just refunded my "just in case" Thursday night single ticket... no school, etc. conflicts so my wife & kids are all going with me Friday night. Very sad that I'll have to wait 24 additional hours though!
TCTTS
AG
You're stronger than I am. I still haven't refunded *my* "just in case" Thursday night single ticket...
JYDog90
AG
we've had our tickets for 3 months...and then I read the epilepsy warning. I have a daughter with epilepsy. We're gonna give it a try. I'll bring in a blanket and throw it over her head.
jokershady
AG
PatAg
AG
I feel like Star Wars is one of the few movie properties where I generally just don't care what most reviewers and "reviewers" have to say. There's a lot out there from people with no bonafides, and for some reason we treat them as legitimate thoughts.

Bring back Siskel and Ebert, where at least if you disagreed with them they had sound and well thought out reasoning.

Not saying its not interesting to see all the talk, or that all of these tweets are bad or anything. Its just crazy how bad it gets around Star Wars for some reason
TCTTS
AG
Sex Panther
AG
This movie sounds like a glorious train wreck that's still entertaining

Can't wait
G Martin 87
AG
TCTTS said:

I got super excited for a second there, because I thought Serenity (the Firefly one) was perfect. Then she ruined it. Oh, well.
Liquid Wrench
PatAg said:

I feel like Star Wars is one of the few movie properties where I generally just don't care what most reviewers and "reviewers" have to say. There's a lot out there from people with no bonafides, and for some reason we treat them as legitimate thoughts.

Bring back Siskel and Ebert, where at least if you disagreed with them they had sound and well thought out reasoning.

Not saying its not interesting to see all the talk, or that all of these tweets are bad or anything. Its just crazy how bad it gets around Star Wars for some reason
I care less about reviewers and critics in general. For one thing, there are just so many outlets now trying to generate content and clicks that there's a lot of noise. For another, the MCU and Star Wars seem to provoke strong, agenda-like opinions.

Fanboy type reviewers like to maintain their access to screenings, guest panels, park openings, etc. Reviewers who want to sound smart will complain about any storyline that seem to make too much sense and don't subvert expectations or whatever. To the latter, it's some kind of victory if they think fans will be pissed off. And then there are the weird agendas where people all out attack movies like The Joker or Venom before seeing it based on what they think the movie will convey.

Fan reviews are usually a better indication of how much I'll enjoy something or at least be interested.
wangus12
AG
It's all about clicks anyways. Just like any other media consumed via the internet
Yoda
AG
jokershady said:

Earned a legit 10 second laugh out of me. Stay strong.
Buck Compton
AG
wangus12 said:

It's all about clicks anyways. Just like any other media consumed via the internet
Exactly. And in a media property like Star Wars, you're going to have a lot of eyeballs. So if I'm super unique or woke or whatever with my criticism, it's that much more of a payoff
TCTTS
AG

TCTTS
AG
I really like Abrams, but this is a good observation.
amercer
AG
John Matrix said:

Another thing about these reviews that is just straight up frustrating me is that they seem to be just an extension of whether or not you liked the last Jedi or not, and really not addressing what the movie is or isn't about. They're all completely agenda driven. It just seems I really can't tell either way. And the idea of fighting on the Internet about another Star Wars movie already has me exhausted.

What if you liked TLJ AND this movie turns out to be awesome.

Sounds like a win/win to me.
Engine10
AG
TCTTS said:

I really like Abrams, but this is a good observation.
Interesting - my read is that JJ has a choice to make and went all in with big set pieces and side-quests vs. attempting a version of this that would come off inauthentic. No time for the spiritual nuance.
TCTTS
AG
I don't think you're wrong, but as someone else in that thread pointed out, Abrams' movies have never really been *about* anything. They hardly ever have themes or arguments or strong points of view. So while he probably did make an active choice to make this final installment more propulsive, even if he wanted to go with a more spiritual angle, even if an underlying one, it may just not be in his DNA to do so, which one could argue doesn't make him an ideal match for this franchise.
First Page Last Page
Page 180 of 194

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.