*** STAR WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER ***

808,838 Views | 6770 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SpreadsheetAg
Fat Bib Fortuna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I just got chills from a book excerpt of Resistance Reborn. If you're not a reader, or just a quitter, it's because Leia runs into an old face on a civillain transport ship that has escaped to Ryloth where the Resistance has been put up by the Twi'leks, and that face is

Excerpt below - lots of different properties - Inferno Squadron, etc. blending in here:

Leia left the library to go and greet the arriving fleet. As she made her way down the tunnels to the incoming ships, she was joined by R2-D2. She hadn't seen the little droid in days. She guessed he was mourning Luke in his own way so she had let him have his space. But she was glad to see him now, and he rattled off a happy greeting.

"Aren't you supposed to be helping Rey with repairs to the Falcon?" she asked.

R2-D2 replied.

"That's good news," Leia agreed. "I'm glad it's done. Now we see what Poe and his Black Squadron have brought us."

Another round of beeps, and Leia nodded.

"Inferno Squad, too," she amended. "All good pilots. Good people. But we need leadership, Artoo, not just soldiers. I need thinkers, strategists, battle experience."

R2-D2 beeped.

She laughed. "You do have a lot of experience. You would make a good leader."

They left the side tunnel and entered the main hangar. It hummed with noise and activity and the smell of ships that had recently been flying among the stars. Leia embraced it all. It was expectation. It was hope. It was what would keep them alive.

The ships groaned as they settled into the Ryloth gravity and dry desert air. Excited voices called to one another in greeting, and astromechs whirled and beeped requests for fuel and repairs.

"Leia!" a voice called, and she looked up to find Poe Dameron heading her way at a steady clip.

R2 beeped a question and Leia pressed a hand briefly to his head. "Yes, go say hello to Beebee-Ate," she said, and the droid spun merrily away.

"Commander," she greeted Poe as he approached. He flushed brightly. He ran a hand through his thick dark curls and dipped his chin, chagrined.

"General," he amended his greeting with a nod. "Sorry for the informality. Just glad to see you."

"I'm glad to see you too, Poe." She hadn't really meant to correct him, just remind him that they were here in front of potential new leadership and that they should set an example. "Walk with me and tell me what we have."

He walked her through the hangar, pointing as they went. "The two pilots there you know from Black Squadron, Jessica Pava and Suralinda Javos. The woman with them is ex-Imperial officer Teza Nasz. They found her on Rattatak after fighting in the death pits."

He pointed to the eastern quadrant where Jess and Suralinda had parked their ships. Jess was bent over, talking to her astromech. Her dark hair was matted on the side with what looked like blood. Leia made a note to make sure the pilot got medical attention immediately. To her left, Suralinda was greeting a woman who had made her way over from the civilian transport ship. The woman was imposing, unusually tall and rippling with what seemed to be hard-won muscle.

She wore a one-shouldered jumpsuit that looked like it had been stitched together from a mixture of animal hides and discarded armor. Her exposed arm displayed an elaborate stretch of short slashing lines that had been cut into her dark skin from shoulder to elbow, and below the elbow she wore a leather bracer. Her thick hair was dyed blood red and she held it back in dreadlocks that trailed down her back.

Leia stifled an incredulous laugh. "That warlord is ex-Imperial?"

"So they say," Poe said. "She was an officer in the Imperial Navy. Some sort of genius strategist involved in the Battle of Jakku, but when that went sideways for the Empire, she was assumed dead on the Ravager. Turns out she just went to ground and only popped back up on Suralinda's scope because of a story about Rattatak fielding a shockball team in some major tournament. Suralinda recognized her from a background picture. They used to know each other."

Leia pressed her lips together, thinking. "Well, she looks like a warrior, not a strategist, but perhaps I shouldn't judge by looks alone. If she dropped off New Republic scopes that thoroughly and was able to rise to power on Rattatak, she's probably both. What's her name, again?"

"Teza Nasz."

As if hearing her name, Nasz turned her head toward them. Her face was painted in streaks of ocher and coal lines vertically crossing her cheeks, and she narrowed dark watchful eyes at Leia. Leia returned her gaze until the woman turned away. Oh, she would be interesting.

"Who else?"

"Princess Leia?" an excited feminine voice cut in. Both Leia and Poe turned.

Zay Versio beamed at them and stepped forward to shake Leia's hand. The young pilot's short dark hair was tousled, and her eyes looked tired under the thick black eyebrows that dominated her delicate face. But she smiled gamely, and her handshake was strong.

"It's good to finally meet you in person, Zay," Leia said, greeting the young pilot. "Where's Shriv?"

"Over here," a blue-skinned Duros said, joining them. He looked tired, too. His skin looked sallow under the cave lights, and lines ran like rivers under his large red eyes. He swiped a hand over his noseless face and grinned through thin, almost nonexistent lips. "Good to see you again, General."

"How was your mission?" Leia inquired.

"Well, we survived," Shriv said laconically. "But I did get a rash in an unmentionable place that still hasn't cleared. Don't suppose you have some kind of cream for that?"

Leia gave him a grave look. "I'm sure someone in medical can fix you up."

"And I could use a nap. And some food. I hear they've got fruit here. And meat. Is it true, or did we arrive too late for all the good stuff?"

"The Twi'leks have been very generous. There's plenty to go around."

"Sweet!" Shriv rubbed at his face and stifled a yawn that threatened to crack his jaw. "Then I'll excuse myself. I really got to fix up this rash."

"Did you find anyone, Zay?" Leia asked once Shriv had wandered off.

The young girl nodded. "Over at the civilian transport. I think you'll be pleased."

They made their way over, Zay filling in with small talk about her and Shriv's mission. "We looked everywhere," she said, sounding exasperated. "Most of the leads were dead ends and some of the people we were trying to find were . . . well, they were dead. More dead people on our list than alive." Zay's face clouded over. "And a handful that have just disappeared. One day they're going about their own business and the next they don't show up for work. Their families have no idea where they are, the authorities won't take it seriously and say they must have run off, but it doesn't make sense."

"Disappeared," Poe chimed in, expression concerned. "Maz told me something similar."

"What does it mean?" Zay asked.

"The First Order, most likely. If we know about these potential allies, so do they. They're just getting to them first."

They had reached the edge of the ramp to the transport shuttle. A motley group of people were gathered there. Leia spotted Charth's two children moving among the crowd, offering hot towels and pouring pitchers of water into clay cups so the newcomers could refresh themselves. There was a low hum of chatter among the group that broke off as Leia approached.

A man separated from the small crowd, and Leia's brows raised in disbelief.

"This is" Zay began.

"I know who this is," Leia murmured. "General Rieekan."
Malachi Constant
AG
The Collective
AG
Hasn't he avoided his association with SW for years?
TCTTS
AG
Nice. Saw this on reddit yesterday too...

TCTTS
AG
Also, just a reminder, if the trailer is dropping Monday, we'll be seeing an announcement and likely the final poster tomorrow. That said, I still think it's a week away...
DannyDuberstein
AG
Don't get too excited about Wedge. It will just be a cameo of him flying an Xwing around with his blinker on.
TCTTS
AG
Safe to say, at this point, no trailer tomorrow. The announcements for the final trailers both TFA and TLJ had already happened at this point on the Sundays prior to their debuts (with both announcements Sunday morning). Would bet just about anything we get the announcement next Sunday morning...
jokershady
AG
TCTTS said:

Safe to say, at this point, no trailer tomorrow. The announcements for the final trailers both TFA and TLJ had already happened at this point on the Sundays prior to their debuts (with both announcements Sunday morning). Would bet just about anything we get the announcement next Sunday morning...
tk for tu juan
Is there a different group of editors for the trailer from the ones doing the final edits to the film and/or reshoots?
TCTTS
AG
Almost certainly. A film's editor usually isn't the one also editing the trailers. Trailers are mostly edited by companies/divisions whose sole job is to edit trailers.
jokershady
AG
TCTTS said:

Almost certainly. A film's editor usually isn't the one also editing the trailers. Trailers are mostly edited by companies/divisions whose sole job is to edit trailers.
serious question about this....when did this start?

Back in the day there weren't companies that existed solely to make trailers but they've become so pivotal now that there's a demand for it.

Was it the Internet? Or was it something else? Hell there's some companies that exist solely to make the music for some trailers now.
TCTTS
AG
I know they've been around since at least the beginning of the century, but have obviously increased in numbers since. Before that, I'm not 100% sure.
Fat Bib Fortuna
CJS4715 said:

Hasn't he avoided his association with SW for years?
They offered him a role in TFA and he said something to the effect that he didn't like their idea or didn't see a point in his character being in it.

Either they backed the Brinks truck up to Casa de Lawson or JJ went and asked him what he'd want to do to return to the character.

I may be 5,000% wrong, but all the little things I've heard and learned about this movie tell me that even if it totally sucks, it is clear that JJ Abrams has committed himself to pulling out all the stops and giving fans every thing he can possibly imagine them wanting.
Liquid Wrench
He's also said a scheduling conflict was the reason he didn't do TFA.

I doubt they had to do anything extraordinary to get him. Actors need work.
The Collective
AG
Dang, I felt like this thread had a lot of momentum heading into a potential trailer. Now, we wait again some more.
Fat Bib Fortuna
Social Media Influencer said:

He's also said a scheduling conflict was the reason he didn't do TFA.

I doubt they had to do anything extraordinary to get him. Actors need work.
Looked up his credentials, he hasn't worked since 2012, so I'd say he's doing it because he wants to, not because he needs it. Plus he's 72 years old. Can't wait to see him on screen again. I wonder if he'll be strictly command or be a pilot? Curious who will be flying the Falcon in whatever big battle is to come - Chewie obviously, but clearly you need more than 1 person in that hunk of junk.
The Collective
AG
Lando
Quad Dog
AG
Be sure to carry a ladder with you.
Flashdiaz
AG
protip.... your minimum wage ticket takers don't give a *****

I used to take tickets at movie theaters and let a family come in with a full 2 person to carry cooler even though we had no outside food signs up.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Honestly...it could work.
TCTTS
AG
What credentials did you reference? IMDb has him working pretty consistently...

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0493200/

Also, a ton of actors that might not have a bunch of screen credits do a lot of their work on the stage in between gigs.
Fat Bib Fortuna
The point being he's 72 years old I dn't think he's appearing in TROS because he's hurting for money.
Fat Bib Fortuna
Also, stop using "..." wrong. It drives me nuts!
Flashdiaz
AG
how else can I convey a... dramatic pause?

twilly
AG
Mmmm....I haven't the foggiest....
jokershady
AG
Told you I did....reckless is he.....

Now....

Matters are worse
tk for tu juan
There is...another...Sky...walkeeeeerrrrr
TCTTS
AG
It's halftime of Browns/49ers. Hoping to see the trailer exactly one week from this very moment...
TCTTS
AG
Question... was this stupid Genesis Halftime Show a thing in 2017? I feel like last season was its first season, but I could be wrong. The reason I ask is because even though these music segments are terrible, I wonder if Genesis has any kind of exclusivity contract and the trailer can't be shown at halftime since Genesis took over.
TCTTS
AG
Just looked it up. It started last season, so it wasn't an issue in 2017 (for TLJ). I wonder that throws a wrench in things, or if the trailer debuts during a commercial break instead...
Belton Ag
AG
TCTTS said:

Question... was this stupid Genesis Halftime Show a thing in 2017? I feel like last season was its first season, but I could be wrong. The reason I ask is because even though these music segments are terrible, I wonder if Genesis has any kind of exclusivity contract and the trailer can't be shown at halftime since Genesis took over.
Genesis, like Phil Collins?

Liquid Wrench

Quote:

Looked up his credentials, he hasn't worked since 2012
I'm confused; I thought we were talking about Denis Lawson. But sometimes I get lost in these megathreads.
Sex Panther
AG
Man, they are ****ing terrible. I can't believe they brought it back for a second year... They are embarrassingly bad.
Fat Bib Fortuna
TCTTS said:

Genesis was the best!

TCTTS
AG
Sex Panther said:

Man, they are ****ing terrible. I can't believe they brought it back for a second year... They are embarrassingly bad.
How dare you sh*t talk 5 Seconds of Summer, who I had never heard of before tonight.
First Page Last Page
Page 118 of 194

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.