*** STAR WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER ***

808,959 Views | 6770 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SpreadsheetAg
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TCTTS
AG
So... according to reddit, rumor has it that some kind of top secret TROS scene might be filming at Bad Robot today. Much like how the Vader scene at the end of Rogue One was filmed two months before release, so as to keep it under wraps as long as possible. If so... Bad Robot is like three miles from my apartment. So I'm gonna go grab some lunch here in a bit, will do a drive by, and report back. It's really not that big of a building and it'll be easy to tell if there are any unusual production trucks in the parking lot. If anything, I just want to be able to say I was in the same vicinity of a Star Wars saga scene being filmed, *if* that's what's happening...
Fat Bib Fortuna
if you don't get arrested trying to sneak a peek, you didn't try hard enough.
Belton Ag
AG
bobinator said:

MuckRaker96 said:

It makes a lot less sense why Luke wouldn't go after Snoke directly.
I think this is actually the biggest thing FOR the theory is that it would at least give some motivation to Luke cutting himself off from the force other than "he gave up."

He thinks that he and Ben can finish the emperor's influence, but to do it Ben is going to have to get close to him and to do that he's going to have to kill Snoke. So Luke cuts himself off from the force so that he won't be tempted to help Ben when he gets in trouble. He has to trust that he'll be able to do it, and then contact him when the time is right.
Except this theory completely renders every scene between Kylo and Luke AFTER as completely nonsensical. If this were correct there would be no reason for Luke to sacrifice himself at the end of TLJ.
TCTTS
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

if you don't get arrested trying to sneak a peek, you didn't try hard enough.

maroon man
S
hahahahaha

TCTTS
AG
Looking at this art, a random question that just popped into my head. Assuming we see Luke as a Force ghost in this movie, which version will his ghost be? Scruffy, long-haired Luke or manicured, dyed-beard Luke?

Belton Ag
AG
I like to think of Force Ghost Luke with giant eagles' wings and singin' lead vocals for Lynyrd Skynyrd with like a Force Ghost Jedi band, and I'm in the front row, and I'm hammered drunk
tk for tu juan
I'm going with younger Return of the Jedi Luke for the force ghost. Just like the profile pics on IMDB after the actor dies, it always switches to the younger version of the person.

bobinator
AG
So just to be clear, I don't think this theory is really the case, just having fun discussing a wild theory so I'm just defending it being true for the sake of discussion.

So that said, there still could be a reason for Luke to sacrifice himself. The Resistance still needed to get away from Hux. And Kylo still has to look like he's trying to kill Luke, even that he's obsessed with killing Luke.

You could actually make the argument that the scene makes more sense, because Luke was basically covering for the resistance AND giving Kylo coverage. Had he actually faced him down one of them would have had to kill the other one.

TCTTS
AG
I'm here. They're 100% filming. Will get what pics I can (it won't be anything of substance, obviously) and post later this afternoon.
Liquid Wrench
Time to put on that plumber's costume!
The Collective
AG
Show up as a radar technician named Matt.
TCTTS
bobinator
AG
Yell "Hey Hayden" and see if anyone turns around.
Belton Ag
AG
bobinator said:

So just to be clear, I don't think this theory is really the case, just having fun discussing a wild theory so I'm just defending it being true for the sake of discussion.

So that said, there still could be a reason for Luke to sacrifice himself. The Resistance still needed to get away from Hux. And Kylo still has to look like he's trying to kill Luke, even that he's obsessed with killing Luke.

You could actually make the argument that the scene makes more sense, because Luke was basically covering for the resistance AND giving Kylo coverage. Had he actually faced him down one of them would have had to kill the other one.

Kylo could have killed Hux in Snoke's throne room pretty easily after Rey escaped and no one would have been the wiser.

Just face it Bob: this theory that you 100% believe in and is the metaphorical hill you have chosen to die on isn't workable.
TCTTS
AG
Alright, I felt SUPER shady doing this, but managed to get a few pics. Again, there's almost nothing of substance in these, just proof that something is, indeed, going down...

I've driven by Bad Robot a hundred times (it's on one of the busiest streets on the west side) and have never seen it even remotely like this. First thing I noticed were the cones blocking off the entire block before the main building, and then blocking off the main building itself. The red brick building on the right in the distance is the Bad Robot...

I drove past, U-turned, then came back down ("The National Typewriter Company" is Bad Robot - they kept the name of the old building / don't advertise). If you follow scooter boy down Euclid Street, which dead ends a couple hundred yards down, that's where all the action was. Bad Robot's "campus" extends down maybe a hundred of those yards, on the left side of the street, and it's such an awesome series of buildings...

So I drove down Euclid, U-turned at the dead end, and got this shot of some of the production trucks lining the street...

There was decent amount of commotion, but it was still relatively relaxed, so I felt comfortable enough to park a block away and come back down on foot. I didn't get the sense that anything was actually filming at that exact moment, but there was a lot of commotion in the foliage area with the trees across the street, where there were a ton of guys setting stuff up. I'm pretty sure those trees underneath the black scaffolding aren't part of the natural landscape. Also, notice the fake foliage bundled in the foreground on the cart with the white handle. It almost looked like some kind of military camouflage you see hung outside of an encampment...

Anyway, after I got that shot, I knew if I stuck around any longer taking pics someone was going to see me (there was a group at Bad Robot eating lunch on a terrace directly behind me), so I got out of there. The last pic I took was of one of the NO PARKING signs, which were posted everywhere. Notice the dates of Monday 9/30 through Wednesday 10/9. A week and a half seems like just the right amount of time to set up and film a scene for a few days...

Granted, there was nothing about any of this that screamed "Star Wars" in any way. This could have very well been set up for a car commercial for all I know. But the fact that, again, I've never seen Bad Robot even remotely like this, and they just happen to be setting up to film something that corresponds directly with a reddit thread saying filming for TROS is currently happening at Bad Robot (and that Daisey Ridley and John Boyega are both said to be in town, and that reddit posters have seen on Instagram that Ridley's makeup artist on TROS is also in town), I'm pretty confident in saying that this is some last-minute thing for Episode IX. Coincidentally, I did see a hair & makeup woman at the valley stand. Hair & makeup are always wheeling around their gear in suitcases and carrying satchels and what not and this was definitely that.

So, yeah, maybe they're filming on a Bad Robot stage as well, or exclusively, but that make-shift foliage area with all the commotion is what really caught my eye. If there's some big, surprise scene toward the end of the movie with foliage everywhere, you're looking at it now.
jokershady
AG
Very cool man. Kinda makes you want to stick around and see if anyone big takes a quick stroll outside
TCTTS
AG
I could EASILY put on some jeans and a t-shirt, strap a walkie-talkie to my waist, and would fit right in. Mainly, it was just a bunch of grunts setting stuff up and like three security guards who weren't checking credentials or anything. But I have a feeling once they're actually shooting, security will be a lot tighter. Or, again, shooting is going on inside and that foliage stuff is something else. But guys were walking from Bad Robot across the street to that foliage area, so I have no idea.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Get in there man!

TCTTS
Sex Panther
AG
Get a lanyard and a clipboard and you can go anywhere you want

You'll be like the entertainment board Sideline Guy
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

that foliage area
That's what my grandpa called it, but you know what he meant.
TCTTS
AG
Sideline Guy was absolutely going through my mind as I was walking around. That's so funny. Judging by the no parking signs, I do have until Wednesday to try and pull something off...
Sex Panther
AG
Heroes get remembered... but legends never die
jokershady
AG
Just get a ladder and walk around like you belong there. You can get in anywhere with the right clothes and a ladder. It's science.
Liquid Wrench
Construction guys I know swear that a safety vest gets you in anywhere.
TCTTS
AG
Do I write all weekend/early next week as I desperately need to before heading to College Station for Alabama/A&M next week - OR - do I spend that time buying a safety vest, clip board, lanyard, and walkie talkie in order to try and sneak onto the Episode IX set come Monday as a grown ass man in my 30s?

Is it sad that I've actually given serious thought to the latter?
TCTTS
jokershady
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna
when i worked for the batt, i carried our photo editor's monopod and walked into oilers' training camp in san antonio without a credential, of course they were coming off a 2-14 season, I probably could have walked in there with a bazooka without anyone noticing.

Still, if you're going to spend a miserable weekend, wouldnt you rather be in jail as a star wars legend rather than watching us win the halftime but lose the rest of the game by 35?
TCTTS
AG
Bama/A&M is next weekend. Heading to CS on Thursday, but I have a sh*t ton of work to do before then. Filming on TROS ends Wednesday. I was half kidding about prepping to sneak on set this weekend, then sneaking on set early next week vs. working in my apartment for the next few days. Your point remains, though.
tk for tu juan
There is a chance you get to see Daisy in her Rey costume IN PERSON. Do it for the inner pubescent teen in all of us.
Fat Bib Fortuna
tk for tu juan said:

There is a chance you get to see Daisy in her Rey costume IN PERSON. Do it for the inner pubescent teen in all of us.
TC: "Um Hi, uh Rey, I means Miss Ridley, um Daisy, can i call you Rey-sy?"
DR: "Yes, hello, how are you today?"
TC: "Oh wow, um cool uh hi there, yeah, I um just wanted to say that you are so amazing and terrific and I just think you're the tops."
DR: "Oh, that's so nice, thank you! Big fan of the new Star Wars films, are you?"
TC: "Well no, I actually criticize them routinely on a message board called Texags. But you're really terrific."
DR: "Err, no ... what goes on there?"
TC: "Oh lots of stuff, in fact we wrote a treatment for an Obi-Wan Kenobi movie."
DR: "Ohhh! You're working on the series with Ewan McGregor are you? That sounds brilliant! You're a screenwriter for Disney/Lucasfilm?"
TC: "Well, yes and no. I do write, but not for Disney or Lucasfilm, we just did it on an Internet message board."
DR: "Please tell me you don't have me hooking up with Kylo Ren in some weird fan fic."
TC: "Of course not! But I am working on a super special project that you're part of."
DR: "Not really sure I want to hear this."
TC: "No it's nothing weird! It's just a giant image I'm creating. I work on it late at night all alone with the lights off on my computer."
DR: "Security!"
Belton Ag
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

tk for tu juan said:

TC: "Um Hi, uh Rey, I means Miss Ridley, um Daisy, can i call you Rey-sy?"
DR: "Yes, hello, how are you today?"
TC: "Oh wow, um cool uh hi there, yeah, I um just wanted to say that you are so amazing and terrific and I just think you're the tops."
DR: "Oh, that's so nice, thank you! Big fan of the new Star Wars films, are you?"
TC: "Well no, I actually criticize them routinely on a message board called Texags. But you're really terrific."
DR: "Err, no ... what goes on there?"
TC: "Oh lots of stuff, in fact we wrote a treatment for an Obi-Wan Kenobi movie."
DR: "Ohhh! You're working on the series with Ewan McGregor are you? That sounds brilliant! You're a screenwriter for Disney/Lucasfilm?"
TC: "Well, yes and no. I do write, but not for Disney or Lucasfilm, we just did it on an Internet message board."
DR: "Please tell me you don't have me hooking up with Kylo Ren in some weird fan fic."
TC: "Of course not! But I am working on a super special project that you're part of."
DR: "Not really sure I want to hear this."
TC: "No it's nothing weird! It's just a giant image I'm creating. I work on it late at night all alone with the lights off on my computer."
DR: "Security!"

Actually I'd be willing to bet this would be among the least awkward conversations she's had with a Star Wars fan.
First Page Last Page
Page 117 of 194

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.